• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a price gap of the launch consoles that would cause you to switch platform?

No way. I got totally burned by the XB1X this gen, there's literally nothing worth playing on it expect for maybe one or two games. My PS4 on the other hand has provided me with some utterly amazing exclusives so I trust that Sony will keep doing that into the next gen.

Another big factor is that I'm a pretty hardcore Destiny player, and considering my clan will all be playing D3 on PS5 I'm definitely sticking with Sony.

Besides there's no way in hell I'm prepared to miss out on the next From game, be that Demon Souls remaster or Bloodbourne 2.

Gargus

Banned
No.

I'd pay more for a playstation because I know it will have games I want to play on it.

I won't buy a new xbox because my xb1s hasn't even been turned on this year and I barely touched it last year. They just have no exclusive games I want to play.

I wouldn't buy a new switch either because it's only good for some first party games and that's it. And even those games are still the same old tired franchises released over and over and over again. And switch is the worst option for cross platform games. Ever since I put my xbox in the store room my switch has become my least used system. Playstation and PC occupy 98% of my game time.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Its not abput the money really. 500usd is a lot but thats the price of rtx 2070... A mid range gpu. I think pc pricing is fucked up but thats another topic

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Depends on the price and power difference.
I will be getting one console at first, so I want to get the one which plays 3rd parties at more a less the best a console can play them, but don't want to spend more then $499.

It will be interesting to see where the resolution of 3rd party games land. It may be a case where theres headroom on both consoles for 3rd parties E. G elder scrolls 6 requires 8tflops to be 4k 60fps and the consoles are 10tflop and 11tflop. If that was the case the hardware power would make very little difference.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I may actually skip on the xbox ... most of what's good on xbox I can get on my PC now, and they've essentially merged the two platforms via xbox live and gamepass. I won't move to Playstation though because I just have too much history, backwards compatible games, etc, invested on the MS platforms. There are some good looking Sony exclusives of course but many of them find their way to PC after a while. I'm too gun shy investing with Sony, I still remember PSP and Vita and how they simply dropped them. MS at least tries to respect my past purchases with their backwards compatibility, which I think is a very customer friendly and underrated thing that they do.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
No way. I got totally burned by the XB1X this gen, there's literally nothing worth playing on it expect for maybe one or two games. My PS4 on the other hand has provided me with some utterly amazing exclusives so I trust that Sony will keep doing that into the next gen.

Another big factor is that I'm a pretty hardcore Destiny player, and considering my clan will all be playing D3 on PS5 I'm definitely sticking with Sony.

Besides there's no way in hell I'm prepared to miss out on the next From game, be that Demon Souls remaster or Bloodbourne 2.

Not true, gears 4+5, forza games, ori, sunset, etc also gamepass adds tremendous value . Sony has had some good varietyand great games, but there exclusives are not so much better, god of war and UNCHARTED 4 were amazing games but the rest not as much. Also if u don't like the x1's exclusives why did u get an X1X?

Skyr

It doesn’t matter as there is no reason left for me to get the nextbox, as for everyone with a powerfull PC.
I’ll just get a ps5 this time and likely the next switch down the road.

Barnabot

Doesn't matter to me anymore. I won't be buying launch consoles anymore because of this 'Pro' this, 'midgen upgrade' that. Will wait a few years after launch until the next Gran Turismo game is launched. Until then I'll be sticking to what I currently have.

JCK75

Price is 100% what drives my purchase decisions on consoles. I have a gaming PC and a switch and those two cover 99% of my gaming time, I love Forza and Uncharted so I can go either way but I tend to not buy consoles until I get a sweet deal. Xbox One was my first purchase last gen because I got s 2TB One S for $249 and it was mainly to be a Forza/UHD movie machine.. Landed a PS4 slim for $199 later, than a PS4 pro with two games for $299.. $299 seems to be more sweet spot for when I'm ready to commit.

Play Anywhere is what makes X-Box not necessary for me anymore. If it was something like 100 bucks less than PS5 I would get one for console game pass backlog, but otherwise I’m pretty all-in on PS5

Audiophile

Gold Member
The reality of the market dictates a certain region of pricing and that's ultimately the way it has to be, but personally I believe consoles offer such great value considering their lifespan, that I'd happily pay a lot more than most if it means better specifications and functionality.

I think for the launch of the coming gen, taking everything into account, it's reasonable to expect $600 boxes (incl. accessories) sold at $499.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So the libraries on both are equal to you? I'd get the one I actually wanted to play more first, but that's just me lol
I want to play libraries of both games. I would prefer multiplayer online games because their draw has a lifespan and I dont want to be lttp and get demolished in adversarial game modes. So yea that could be a factor. However, price does edge it out a bit.

Top Bottom