• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a way to find out the name of an Xbox without Halo?

Grimlock

I got an X-box last week, but I don't have a copy of Halo X-box for it (I have Halo PC). I don't want to rent the game just to see what the name of my X-box is, so does anyone have any ideas?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
err.. what are you talking about?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i thought doa3 was the game that'd let you know/change the name of your xbox; you have to win a bunch of fights in survival mode or something. i certainly don't know of any way to do it in halo.

Grimlock

Suikoguy said:
err.. what are you talking about?
Each individual X-Box console has its own name. The only method I know of to see (not change) that name is to go into multiplayer mode in Halo, where the name of your X-Box is displayed over an icon representing it. I've checked gamefaqs and I haven't found an alternate method of seeing this name. I know how to change it, but I have no desire to do so (unless it's particularly repulsive).

BuddyC

I don't know if I can explain this well or not...but...your Xbox won't be "named" until a game requires it to be. Halo randomly selects a name if there isn't already one present during LAN play, for easier player identification. The original purpose for this was to have your Xbox remember your name, for high scores and game usage (such as in an RPG). The feature never really took off though, apart being used in DOA3 (if you get on a top 10 list, the name you give you will be the name of your Xbox). Does that clear it up?

I don't believe so, or not that I've come across. The reason this is so is because Halo is the only XBOX game I've seen that treats the machines like a proper PC LAN and names the machines and then the players on the machines.

Any other linkable game that I've fooled with simply lists all the players in a big pool. The method employed by Halo was great because it allowed you to know who would be sharing which TV, letting you know if you ahad a team mate able to show your enemy what you were up to.

Since system linking in recent games use the same interface as the Live gaming, it is very unlikely that anyone bothers to worry about displaying who is sitting next to who.

Instead of renting Halo, rent DOA3 and set it yourself, takes five minutes. Your box is probably named Dopey anyway. Gee, I forgot what mine was originally.

Side anecdote: Because I'm a cock, I renamed my friend Dustin's XBOX to "Pooper D," and then all our friends at college began calling him Pooper. I ruined a life !

hgplayer1

if you wanted to name your xbox you could also use Moto GP 2 and go into the logo creator and just enter anything in under the text portion of the logo tools and your Xbox will be named the last word or letters you entered.

bjork

My Xbox has a first name, it's... I don't own Halo...

My Xbox has a second name, it's... something clever that I can't think of right now...

An even easier way than the DOA3 route is to rent Unreal 2 and create a single player profile. Whatever you name the profile becomes the name of your Xbox.

I learned the hard way. My Xbox used to be "Killer". Now it's "Fluffy". I'll never, ever goof around with names again. :(

bill-gates.jpg

"YOU'RE FIRED!"

Top Bottom