• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there actually any emulator that respects the user's time?

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
That seems fairly great, especially the game metadata that is so sorely lacking in base RetroArch.
It's a bit weird to have yet another link in the chain instead of adding all of that functionality directly to RetroArch, but if it works, it works.

True, and seeing I'm running CDI and FM Towns using MESS there's even a third layer for those systems.

But the good thing is portability, I configured everything on my PC and then just copied all the config files and games to my Pi 400. And also choice, you can use another frontend and still keep your RetroArch settings.

Last edited:

Three

The drama is about that certain developer, not the whole project itself. He isn't even the original dev of RetroArch.

Also, as much as i respect MAME developers, some are way too salty about RA.

The "worse experience" giving "bad impression" is about RA supporting older versions of MAME. Along with the current version there's also MAME 2010, Mame 2003, etc, that are used on potato systems like the Pi.

MAME devs don't like these things existing. But they forget that RA isn't the only or the first project that has them. It just happens to be the more successful one. As for those who can't run the latest version of MAME because of performance issues... fuck them i guess? Not sure what MAME devs thinks of them.

I mean, i don't use a Pi or a crappy tablet/phone and i only use the latest version of MAME. But if someone wants to use an older one, what's the issue?
The drama doesn't seem to be about the person at all and clearly stated, with reasons, to be the project itself.

nkarafo

The drama doesn't seem to be about the person at all and clearly stated, with reasons, to be the project itself.
No, only some crybaby Mame devs have issues with the project. The other devs, like the recent drama with Duckstation, has to do with Twinaphex himself.

Three

No, only some crybaby Mame devs have issues with the project. The other devs, like the recent drama with Duckstation, has to do with Twinaphex himself.
And the reDream devs or skmp? I mean it seems a bunch of people aren't/weren't happy about retroArch.

Last edited:

Dorago

Retroarch has confusing menus and bad keyboard/mouse navigation. Also, needing the exact No Intro or Redump ROM or image files is a pain. Once you beat your head against the wall for a while you figure it out though. Best feature is how easy it is to adjust settings while the game is running, especially shaders.

I've also tried Bizhawk, MAME, Mednafen, and Launchbox with my preferred single system emulators. All have problems more sever that what Retroarch offers.

Finally, those recommending RetroPI are insane. I spent weeks setting this up on a headless Pi3B via SSH (to be cool). I foolishly decided to patch the system a few months later, not knowing that Raspian had a major update which rendered all of my emulation software unusable.

nkarafo

And the reDream devs or skmp? I mean it seems a bunch of people aren't/weren't happy about retroArch.
AFAIK, everyone seems to have issues with the author.

MAME devs have issues with Retroarch because it supports old MAME versions (along with the current one) and that makes MAME look bad and also people used to ask them for support for these unsupported versions, which i understand is a problem. The older cores have been renamed to Mame2003, Mame2010, etc but that wasn't enough for them. They also don't seem to have that much of a problem with the android ports of MAME that are also older versions. And these existed before RetroArch too. Pretty sure there are other emulation projects that include older MAME cores.

Also, needing the exact No Intro or Redump ROM or image files is a pain.
First time i hear about this.

But if needing certain exact roms for a game to run is a problem for you, stay away from MAME.

Last edited:
Top Bottom