• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is There Any Fanservice In Western Games For Straight Men Anymore?

dirthead

Banned
If you don't like it, all you can do is not buy the games. It's not like women in any significant numbers play fighting games, and it's not like homosexuals are a large percentage of the population. So that basically makes the market for fighting games straight dudes. So if the market rejects this latest MK, it's going to be nothing but tits mcgee going forward.

Last edited:
As i pointed, they did bring classic costumes for females in MKX, and MK11 is tackling with customization options, many of those not seen yet. The examples are there in my previous post that shows how NRS is always tweaking things. But If you choose to be selective regarding facts to make a point, this is going nowhere, even more so now that NRS is delving deep into customization.

How am i being selective? i just gave you examples of what the default outfits for both Kano and Skarlet looks like, can you tell me why the Kano default outfit remained the same and even got more revealing while Skarlet got covered up? again im talking about their default outfits here not customized outfits.

Another question for you. only two new characters was revealed in MK11, one male and one female. only one of them show a lot of skin and the other are covered from head to toe, guess who's got covered?

Kronika-1.jpg

Geras.jpg

lock2k

Banned
How am i being selective? i just gave you examples of what the default outfits for both Kano and Skarlet looks like, can you tell me why the Kano default outfit remained the same and even got more revealing while Skarlet got covered up? again im talking about their default outfits here not customized outfits.

Another question for you. only two new characters was revealed in MK11, one male and one female. only one of them show a lot of skin and the other are covered from head to toe, guess who's got covered?

Kronika-1.jpg

Geras.jpg

You just gave a fatality on him with this reply.

Based on past entries, and specifically MK9 & MK10, I'm willing to give Mortal Kombat 11 the benefit of the doubt. The contemporary approach to announcing mass-market games, unfortunately, now involves taking steps to avoid accusations of sexualizing female characters. With the reveal, I'd like to have seen at least one attractive woman dressed in a somewhat conventionally sexy manner, but I'll reserve judgement, until it's confirmed all the remaining default female designs are inline with Sonya and Skarlet.

Last edited:

Graven

Kronika-1.jpg

Geras.jpg

To this kind of discussion using only MKX11 as an example can be shady since there is much more yet to be shown. The Shao Khan render they released showed him armored, Liu is fully clothed now as well. Khronica and Geras are oddballs, Geras has a lot of wierd stuff going on in his chest and face, he is very unatural, so is Khronika. I do not see any of those two by concept, being sexy intended

And i don't get why customization should not count when its the main quirk of the game. They showed multiples looks at the reveal event and there is also more to come.

About Skarlet and Kano, and my whole point in this, you pick two characters of a incomplete game, compare them and assume their designs are a reflex of some ideology, but when If you pick up examples from the last game, It very much wasn't like that.

To this kind of discussion using only MKX11 as an example can be shady since there is much more yet to be shown. The Shao Khan render they released showed him armored, Liu is fully clothed now as well. Khronica and Geras are oddballs, Geras has a lot of wierd stuff going on in his chest and face, he is very unatural, so is Khronika. I do not see any of those two by concept, being sexy intended

And i don't get why customization should not count when its the main quirk of the game. They showed multiples looks at the reveal event and there is also more to come.

About Skarlet and Kano, and my whole point in this, you pick two characters of a incomplete game, compare them and assume their designs are a reflex of some ideology, but when If you pick up examples from the last game, It very much wasn't like that.

Ok then show me one female character from MK11 that show a lot of skin like the multiple male characters shown in MK11.

What? you cant? then yes, female designs in MK11 is a reflex of some ideology.

In the context of this thread, you really can't expect people to give consideration towards customization, until female characters are revealed who the majority (or at least the people in this thread) find generally attractive. Even in the more revealing version of her outfit, Skarlet's proportions have been noticeably trimmed, and some might argue she has a rather hard-looking face.

One assumes the MK11 developers made conscious decisions about the characters they'd show at the reveal and the potential impression those choices would leave on the audience. This isn't to say there won't be any sexy women in the game, but the developers are now in the position of needing to prove the remaining female characters won't follow the same path as Sonya and Skarlet (it also probably doesn't help that Cassie Cage didn't exactly look like a stunner in the one trailer).

Last edited:

Graven

Ok then show me one female character from MK11 that show a lot of skin like the multiple male characters shown in MK11.

What? you cant? then yes, female designs in MK11 is a reflex of some ideology.

7 males having been spotted, against 3 females(counting, Kano, Liu and Cassie), not much to pick from is there?

From the female side there is young Sonya, male there is Kano, Baraka and Geras, both of those are inhumans. Once again, the game is very incomplete, and i've given clear examples of how characters were approached throughout the franchise's history about NRS changing designs and whatnot, but, believe in what you want, whatever works for you.

That's why they talk about the "male gaze".

Their delusions will shatter if you say that the character designer behind HyperDimension Neptunia, Tsunako, is a female. Mention the same thing with Bayonetta's character designer.

There's plenty of character artists who are female, yet design fanservicey characters.

Mention it to one of these radical activists, and their mind will probably melt.

Male Gaze is a silly falacy, unless if the character is actually designed by one.

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Their delusions will shatter if you say that the character designer behind HyperDimension Neptunia, Tsunako, is a female. Mention the same thing with Bayonetta's character designer.

There's plenty of character artists who are female, yet design fanservicey characters.

Mention it to one of these radical activists, and their mind will probably melt.

Male Gaze is a silly falacy, unless if the character is actually designed by one.

Like with Bayoneta they will simply change the rules and say that is was "approved" or "targeted" by and to men.

everyone knows this shit is pushed by ugly chicks no one wants to fuck. purple hair fat chicks who attempt to wear crop tops and are resentful. not everyone is beautiful the fucking definition of beautiful is like only a few people can be it. i dont know where this weird jealousy started and is now like hiding itself as some kind of progressiveness when its just plain and simple jealousy.

Right, it's time people just call a spade a spade more, this is happening because deeply insecure women who just have a problem with men want to ruin what's always been a male centric hobby and culture.

We live in an absurdly narcissistic culture, so anyone who doesn't fit the typical beauty standards feels like they have to bend the world to their will rather than accept that the world doesn't revolve around them.

Im fine with this. A character design has to be coesive. In Sonya's case, she is a hardened military general, and she looks the part.

It's intresting that people turn everything into politics and ideologies, but, do not consider that the devs might be simply designing characters based on what they think It better represents their vision of that character.

This doesn't hold water because Mortal Kombat has never been in any way realistic or down to Earth, so it doesn't matter what people are wearing, any arguments for "practical" outfits are nonsense when you're talking about a series with a dude who shoots lightning out of his hands or a monster with four arms.

And as others have pointed out MK11 is a radical departure from the way the series has designed it's female characters before, this is proof it's politically motivated, if it wasn't you wouldn't see such change in a series that's stuck to the same basic style for over 25 years, clearly that is what the audience has wanted, so why do it so different now?

Graven

Right, it's time people just call a spade a spade more, this is happening because deeply insecure women who just have a problem with men want to ruin what's always been a male centric hobby and culture.

We live in an absurdly narcissistic culture, so anyone who doesn't fit the typical beauty standards feels like they have to bend the world to their will rather than accept that the world doesn't revolve around them.

This doesn't hold water because Mortal Kombat has never been in any way realistic or down to Earth, so it doesn't matter what people are wearing, any arguments for "practical" outfits are nonsense when you're talking about a series with a dude who shoots lightning out of his hands or a monster with four arms.

And as others have pointed out MK11 is a radical departure from the way the series has designed it's female characters before, this is proof it's politically motivated, if it wasn't you wouldn't see such change in a series that's stuck to the same basic style for over 25 years, clearly that is what the audience has wanted, so why do it so different now?

I said, cohesive, who said anything about realism? Sonya is a veteran military(it's the lore of the game), she having outfits point that out is not ideology, is a design choice, and one that makes sense , simple as that, this has nothing to do with the series fantasy aspects.

Go check Sonya's alt in MK Deadly Alliance to see that it's nothing new.

Anyway, this is pointless, you people can believe in what you want, and be outraged at every turn, have your way.

I said, cohesive, who said anything about realism? Sonya is a veteran military(it's the lore of the game), she having outfits point that out is not ideology, is a design choice, and one that makes sense , simple as that, this has nothing to do with the series fantasy aspects.

Go check Sonya's alt in MK Deadly Alliance to see that it's nothing new.

Anyway, this is pointless, you people can believe in what you want, and be outraged at every turn, have your way.

What would be cohesive is sticking with the series already established style, where Sonya and other female characters dress sexy.

I'm not outraged, I'm disappointed, I'm disappointed that a game I might otherwise be interested in has such lame female characters, do the devs want my money or not?

Lokimaru

But skarlet's design IS better. The MK9 one was "just another female ninja, but red". Which is fine if you like it, but clearly they're trying to move away from the fact that every character was a reskin in the past.

But Skarlet is a being created from the Blood of Shao Khan's enemies and gets stronger the more blood directly touches her skin much like the girls from Oneechanbara hence why she like they wore very skimpy attire. Clothes would be Kryptonite to such a character.

Anime boobs with legs and arms. These are the type of games people want for free. But some dedicated fan base think it sells enough copies for Sony to give a damn. This thread, is something. Tho.

Anime boobs with legs and arms. These are the type of games people want for free. But some dedicated fan base think it sells enough copies for Sony to give a damn. This thread, is something. Tho.

Who are talking about anime here? and who are talking about Sony? did you even read the OP before writing your programmed posts here.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Westerners uglyfying women in their media has become a meme at this point, i see a lot of these in twitter these days lol

Dyyl3KeW0AA5Lte.jpg

ADmw3Tj.jpg
What the fuck is wrong with western version of Morrigan? And is that pink hair character from Apex Legends? Again THANK GOD for Japanese games, I would have quite gaming loooong time a go without them.

what the fuck is this abomination? tell me it isn't real, it's just photoshopped from apex

Its real. these days you cant underestimate the fine art of ugly women in games perfected by the genius minds of western devs, every new design will make your jaw drops from all of this perfection.

oagboghi2

Its real. these days you cant underestimate the fine art of ugly women in games perfected by the genius minds of western devs, every new design will make your jaw drops from all of this perfection.
Nonono guys. She isn't ugly. She is progressive.🙄

*Eyes rolled back into my fucking skull"

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I think Skarlet looks gorgeous and cool. Sonya is old so her frumpy look makes sense. I will miss Jade's cleavage, but overall I think mk11 girls are fine. Its gonna have more content and players than doa6, which is gonna have a f2p version anyway.

Also id like to point out that mk girls were already toned down for mkx. Sonya mkx is a far cry from wearing a thong or open cleavage. So if you wanna take issue with mk its gotta start with x.

Geki-D

Banned
lol at cherry picking an image were she is not smiling to hide a little of that ugliness
I mean, you could look at actual gameplay I guess:

The fact that the pic you posted has details that look quite different (tattoo, headband) from what I'm seeing from gameplay probably means it's an early build version. It's quite laughable that you're claiming I'm cherry picking when I post her actually current in-game model but that your single alpha build or whatever pic is more representative of reality. I just think you don't know what "cherry picking" means.

Last edited:
alpha build

"she was ugly because its from the alpha build!"

That's the most hilarious argument i have ever seen in months. are you really that desperate to defend the honor of this ugly virtual woman that much lol

Also she is still ugly in that video you posted so i don't know whats your point.

fantomena

We are and you try to take it away from us.

And that's why I say there is ONLY room for straight white males in gaming or room for diversity, not both.

Video game is a hobby, you make it sound like you are fighting some war and there's only 2 sides.

Sounds rather sad.

That's the most hilarious argument i have ever seen in months. are you really that desperate to defend the honor of this ugly virtual woman that much lol

Are you really that desperate to use examples that don't exist? I've played the game. The character looks nothing like that, and the game was released the same day it was announced, so I don't see how these could be from an "alpha build." I have no idea where that image came from, but it's not content found in the game.

There are plenty of actual examples of this nonsense. You can leave this particular windmill alone.

Make your own games if you’re so desperate for it

This is a really crappy argument, considering the entire movement to criticize and shame and censor anyone who DOES make games like this.

We are and you try to take it away from us.

And that's why I say there is ONLY room for straight white males in gaming or room for diversity, not both.

And this is an awful "solution" to that conflict, and one that I wouldn't support either. In general, the "us vs them" mentality can go take a flying leap.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned

Also she is still ugly in that video you posted so i don't know whats your point.
Jesus man, the hoops you're jumping through to not admit that that pic doesn't look like the final product. Actually quote me saying she's ugly because it was it's from an alpha build. Either do that or actually learn to read a full paragraph of text and understand the context words are used in.

I don't give a shit about this game or this character, I'm just pointing out that the pic you used is wrong. If using fictitious sources is how you want to make your points that tells us more about your character than anyone else in this thread but don't start to cry when people call you on your bullshit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom