• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is There Any Fanservice In Western Games For Straight Men Anymore?

I noticed these last few years that there is a lot of threads in forums complaining about sexualization of women in games and i was thinking is there really a lot of games with female sexualization these days? since all the forums complaining about this are western i thought maybe there is a lot of western games also sexualize women in their games since i didn't think all this complaining was just for Japanese games which was made by Japanese developers and their primary target audience is the Japanese gamers so why western gaming forums complain about this unless some western games also sexualize women, so i started to look for these western games.

I remember playing Horizon and all the outfits were covering aloy from head to toe and the most revealing outfit was showing only her midriff so no fanservice in this game, then i remembered another game with a female lead released this year ( Shadow of the Tomb Raider) and there is 34 different outfits in this game so i was sure that at least 3 or 4 of them will be sexy outfits so i watched this video to make sure.

to my surprise there was not a single outfit from the 34 that sexualize Lara, i started reading the comments to see if this is what people want and most of them was like this....

4krYU5R.jpg

GcyBIYQ.jpg

0RcgEVI.jpg

KJBWyzT.jpg

aZhplzj.jpg

k5TIVd2.jpg

So yeah, the target audience definitely wants sexy outfits but the question here is why western developers dont want to cater to them just like the Japanese devs?

I thought maybe the devs of these AAA games dont want anything sexual in their games since a lot of children play AAA games these days, so i started to look for an AAA game with a male lead also released this year ( PS4 Spider man) and started looking for his outfits and oh boy....

3435609-24_undies.jpg

An outfit that is just his underwear, so the western devs of this game dont have anything against sexy outfits so they gave their female gamers a fanservice outfit. so i thought since this is the case than clearly male gamers will get a sexy outfit for one of the female characters in this game specially after Black Cat was announced to be in the game since her comics outfit is sexy.

Xc1Rx8L.jpg

and Nope.

y6jy16lye4k11.png

Covered from head to toe.

So whats going on guys, is there a secret law that forbids showing the female skin in western games that all western devs had to follow or they will be fired? and with 100% of western AAA games with 0% female Sexualization i have to wonder why western gamers in forums and Social media are still complaining about rampant female sexualization in games? im not from the west so i was just wondering whats going on.

Update:

If western gaming companies was really listening to female gamers even games like Call Of Duty will have hot women, here is a well known streamer and a Youtuber asking them

Of course SJWs started to silence her and tell her to go play something else

She even gets harassed by someone working for Insomniac Games because she likes to sculpt and draw sexy women.

Like clockwork SJWs tell her to shut up.

I see this all the time, real women gets harassed and bullied by SJWs for liking sexy outfits in their games, SJWs will only defend virtual women from the male gaze it seems.

Update 2:

Beware female gamers, if you want sexy female characters in games then you will be harassed for days.

So a female artist got harassed and called transphopic by an Insomniac dev because she pointed out that Lady from Devil May Cry 5 looked masculine and that her jaw was wider and she wanted it to be more sexier.

The harassment continued for two days between December 29th, 2018 and December 30th, Eventually Layna became tired of the harassment, which she claims began to invade her DMs, and issued a publicly statement about the incident on December 31st, 2018.

Read more here

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/...like-ladys-design-from-devil-may-cry-5/74445/

Update 3:

Mr. David Jaffe the creator of the God of War franchise shared his opinion about the topic of this thread, its very interesting to see the point of view of a veteran game dev who worked in the video game industry for years, i find his opinion about the exclusion of fanservice from western games in recent years very important , so thank you Mr. Jaffe much appreciated.

At 52:30 mark.

Last edited:

Helios

There are still plenty of western devs that do fanservice. Off the top of my head Netherrealm and Riot. Maybe not to the same degree or as prevalent as in Japanese games but they are still there.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think the biggest reason we don't see sexy designs in western games as much as Japanese games because most western developers like make their game "grounded" with hyper realistic visuals mean while Japanese developers like make their games much more fantasy with over the top design.

This basically biggest reason why I personally much more attracted to Japanese games.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lol, what a great loss to mankind, they're taking away our 3D boobies!

And yeah there's still fan service, just evolved, as if anyone believes new-Lara was designed to not be attractive to the average male just because she doesn't have a bimbo (or none at all) costume >_>

Also I don't think Spiderman is meant to be sexy there, probably just comical.

I would question the priorities of the target audience if what they really want in life is revealing outfits for 3D characters and find it outrageous when developers choose not to have that.

Censorship is bad oh so wrong, why do they yield to the SJWs when they censor a game, but no, when I, the white male, want a change they should always conform to it and please me, I'm the target audience!

Last edited:
Hoo boy...

I'll just be over here respecting gaming's right to grow up and stop portraying most women as dolls for male amusement.

Lol, what a great loss to mankind, they're taking away our 3D boobies!

When characters are criticized and shamed for showing too much skin, how is that also not critical and shaming of any woman who chooses to show a similar amount of skin, or wear similar clothing?

Similar clothing might not apply to many video game outfits (those can get a bit wacky) but showing the same amount of skin by choice certainly does.

Personally, I'm not all that bothered by the increased loss of sexuality in video games, but it does feel somewhat hypocritical to be judgmental of video game characters, and then outraged at people who are critical of real women who show the same amount of skin as those characters.

brap

Banned
Hoo boy...

I'll just be over here respecting gaming's right to grow up and stop portraying most women as dolls for male amusement.
Get over yourself. Gaming is entertainment and doesn't need to become all bland bullshit to "grow up".

Censorship is bad oh so wrong, why do they yield to the SJWs when they censor a game, but no, when I, the white male, want a change they should always conform to it and please me, I'm the target audience!
Yep op is definitely white. Only disgusting straight WHITE men like tits. No other straight men do.

Ah yes, the poor straight male, the real victim in this world.

Give me a break
Give everybody else a break and quit overreacting.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I would question the priorities of the target audience if what they really want in life is revealing outfits for 3D characters and find it outrageous when developers choose not to have that.
Developers should be free to make anything they want same way developers should be free to put sexy designs in their games if they want. I said many times in this type of thread, there is room for both. If you are not in to sexy designs in your games then buy a game with more "grounded" character design.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I have no real problem with most devs abandoning the sexual designs of female characters. They were nice but I can do without. What I am curious about is that for some reason the same policy doesn't seem to apply to male characters. I eyerolled at the Spiderman suit. What's up wit the double standard?

buizel

Banned
It's very limited, and something thats increasing dramatically!

What's even weirder I think is Comic Book Films - think of how many they are and consider the original demographic - teenage boys. My girlfriend pointed out that almost ZERO comic book films have any fanservice for guys, it's all beefy topless shredded ripped dudes, and camera shots that linger on this. The ONLY thing I can think of is Wonder Woman butt-shots in Justice League, but(t) even then they are on screen for half a second.

Spoiler Alert: Most girls love seeing sexy girls in films/games too.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Oh look it's one of those threads where internet intellectuals judge someone for having completely innocuous desires and proceed to ejaculate all over the thread with their holier than thou attitudes.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to look at pretty things people. Games are entertainment, and beauty makes people happy. People looking at an attractive woman in a game,movie, or tv series and enjoying their beauty is not going to suddenly force said people to devalue women as human beings ffs. If rap music videos couldn't do it to america I don't think games have a shot.

PS many women like looking at hot women in games too, before anyone has a big tirade about the male gaze.

There are still plenty of western devs that do fanservice. Off the top of my head Netherrealm and Riot. Maybe not to the same degree or as prevalent as in Japanese games but they are still there.

MKX and Injustice 2 are practically devoid of sexualization. The females featured in those games are attractive yes, but in a manner that cannot be construed as offensive.

Last edited:

buizel

Banned
Nothing wrong with eye candy, majority of women enjoy being looked at when they've put the effort in.

CD Projekt is our only hope, and maybe the new SoR.

Please take this thread to reeeera :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Isn't it super weird that forum demonizes any sort of sexualization of characters created in the West, but that place FUCKING LOOOVES ANIME TIDDYS or whenever a Japanese company sexualizes their characters (often to such an extreme degree too)...

Like, they get a pass because it wasn't made by straight white men?

Last edited:
It's vanished completely from any mainstream games developed in North America as far as I can tell.

I think the last was maybe Thief 2014? Which had a little nudity.

I think it's a shame, I like eye candy, I like sexy women, so sue me, it's not a requirement that a game has it but I would rather it be there than not and it just in general it's bullshit how it's vanished for political reasons, to the point where even in a game where it would fit in just normally it still has to be scrubbed out.

Like Black Cat in Spider-Man for example, I don't know, I find it downright creepy how her catsuit has to cover literally every square inch of her body, in what universe does covering every single inch of skin of a woman's body count as "feminism"? Shouldn't it be the opposite?

Any game even with a science fiction or fantasy context can't sex it up at all anymore, I just find it creepy, since when did people become so terrified of a little sex? What is fucking Jerry Falwell and the Moral Majority in charge of the video game industry now? When even cleavage is too much for feminists to handle you know things have gone off the rails.

Bizarre fucking times we live in, that's for sure.

120v

through the 90s up until fairly recently most all female character design was "fan service", and it was imo pretty lame. i guess you could argue it swung to the other extreme, but i dunno, i don't really keep tabs on it

buizel

Banned
through the 90s up until fairly recently most all female character design was "fan service", and it was imo pretty lame. i guess you could argue it swung to the other extreme, but i dunno, i don't really keep tabs on it

Hmm, I'd say both genders were fan servicey at that point. Honestly, take any form of fantasy media - the dudes are usually wearing some sort of caveman-thong, so you can see their sexy abs and thick arms - and the women were the same right? Barely any clothes to show the contours and curves. I feel like what you're describing was 'just the 80/90's'

buizel

Banned
You might be right about Western games, but I can promise you that JRPGs still got you covered for fanservice. Not much has changed there.

But 90% jRPG designs are hideous and unappealing (my opinion, I know many dont share it) these days.

c86a61a15d02b05d4420a6500712c7c5.jpg

THANK YOU NINTENDO for not only RESPECTING WOMEN but getting my gears really going with those watermelon airbags

(pretty sure its SFW because its a nintendo game, RIGHT (or is this fan art, i cant tell?)))

Paracelsus

A videogame character is supposed to be larger than life, however dull and realistic the setting is. Leon and Claire had great looks and cheesy-cool outfits (kinda like the STARS in RE1) that stood out because in their own way they had to look like a sort of comic book superheroes. They have to look good and distinguished to be perceived as better than the player, as someone that entices you to play as them, that's the whole point, with very few distinct exceptions. A lot of people noticed that Lara wasn't just covered up, but they made her face and her body way more average than it was in the very beginning.
Referring back to wrestling, it's kinda what happens when you push "vanilla midgets" in the spotlight too much.

I clearly remember rushing to get the boutique key in RE3 to dress Jill in her STARS uniform because I liked the idea of a competent soldier that happened to look good. There was no uniform that could fix her face when they scrapped the Julia Voth model.

Last edited:

It's undoubtedly swung too far to the other extreme.

Not every game needs fanservice, but not every game needs to not have it either, the fact that it's not allowed at all anymore is not natural, it feels totally phoney baloney, like I said, it's political, it's not about giving developers freedom or the audience what they want, it's forcing this shit down your throat for political reasons.

When even a Superheroine isn't allowed to have a little cleavage anymore you know this is a bunch of bullshit.

petran79

Banned
Shantae games from Wayforward

Skullgirls too. Notice that both games are influenced or are spiritual successors of Japanese games (MvC and Wonderboy).

Age of Barbarian is another game paying tribute to 80s computer games and fantasy comics.

Excluding the millions of Western ero games of course.

Notice also that both Western and Eastern users make tons of mods on PC to add or enhance sexualized costumes or even nude textures.
Last western game to face backlash was MK9. Even GOW had to move to the colder climate of Scandinavia. GTA gets a pass for the time being.

Dacon

Banned
But 90% jRPG designs are hideous and unappealing (my opinion, I know many dont share it) these days.

c86a61a15d02b05d4420a6500712c7c5.jpg

THANK YOU NINTENDO for not only RESPECTING WOMEN but getting my gears really going with those watermelon airbags

(pretty sure its SFW because its a nintendo game, RIGHT (or is this fan art, i cant tell?)))

This is hardly representative of 90 percent of JRPG designs. Most are more conservative than this.

Danjin44

Any game even with a science fiction or fantasy context can't sex it up at all anymore, I just find it creepy, since when did people become so terrified of a little sex? What is fucking Jerry Falwell and the Moral Majority in charge of the video game industry now? When even cleavage is too much for feminists to handle you know things have gone off the rails.

Bizarre fucking times we live in, that's for sure.
Don't worry in west you can have all violence and down right disturbing and hyper realistic gore but as long as there is no "sex".

Last edited:
Don't worry in west you have all violence and down right disturbing and hyper realistic gore but as long there is no "sex".

That same old American hypocrisy about sex and violence, Bruce Campbell said it best once: "You can cut a breast off, you just can't kiss it."

Although to be fair SJWs don't seem to be too crazy about violence either, but they'll certainly tolerate a little bit of it, they will tolerate absolutely 0% of sexual content that would appeal to a heterosexual male, even the most diehard Christian Conservatives of yesteryear were not as uncompromising on sexual content as they are.

Like, would anyone in modern history have objected to a little damn cleavage or a pair of shorts? It's just fucking absurd.

buizel

Banned
This is hardly representative of 90 percent of JRPG designs. Most are more conservative than this.

I'm sure there are, and there are some jRPG designs I love such as No No Kuni, Amano artwork... erm, I'm sure there are more. I stopped being interested in JRPG's after the SNES-era, during and prior to that I love many JRPGS. I'm not a huge anime person outside of Shinkai/Ghibili work. That said Makoto Shinkai's work is some of the best I've ever seen in my life, and nothing gives me the feels like his work.

Danjin44

I'm sure there are, and there are some jRPG designs I love such as No No Kuni, Amano artwork... erm, I'm sure there are more. I stopped being interested in JRPG's after the SNES-era, during and prior to that I love many JRPGS. I'm not a huge anime person outside of Shinkai/Ghibili work. That said Makoto Shinkai's work is some of the best I've ever seen in my life, and nothing gives me the feels like his work.
You should definitely check out Octopath Traveler.
octopath-traveler-nog-steeds-immens-populair-in-japan.jpg

buizel

Banned
You should definitely check out Octopath Traveler.
octopath-traveler-nog-steeds-immens-populair-in-japan.jpg

Aha, yes, I forgot about that. Love the art style - very cute - and especially the in-game style. I love fusions of retro pixel art with post processing effects. Maybe one day when I get a Switch =]

Alexios

When characters are criticized and shamed for showing too much skin, how is that also not critical and shaming of any woman who chooses to show a similar amount of skin, or wear similar clothing?

Similar clothing might not apply to many video game outfits (those can get a bit wacky) but showing the same amount of skin by choice certainly does.

Personally, I'm not all that bothered by the increased loss of sexuality in video games, but it does feel somewhat hypocritical to be judgmental of video game characters, and then outraged at people who are critical of real women who show the same amount of skin as those characters.
Characters aren't criticized, their creators are when there are grounds for said criticism.

This is just projecting anyway, no evidence whatsoever suggests they wanted a hot lara costume but big bad feminism forced them not to have it. Lara is still designed to appeal to men, just in a different way than in the past. That she's not appealing enough to some particular people because she doesn't have any revealing costumes doesn't mean feminism is the reason for various people here to go off on rants about the hypocricy of the movement that wants women free to do as they please but forces digital women to not do that, lol.

Maybe devs are simply finally free from having to have such designs for once? Maybe game sales for once can be high without such designs?

Hypocricy is to be against "censoring" yet want to force the type of costume you want in games and accuse every convenient thing as the reason behind the lack of it when it could just be what the devs want. I mean, they were always far different to eastern game designs after all, did you have threads asking for western designers to be free of their shackles and make characters like the Japanese do? Or just assumed it's what they wanted instead but don't want to make such a thought now that the designs no longer appeal to whoever?

Last edited:

Alexios

Ah yes, white straight males, the oppressors by default who deserve everything that's coming to them.

Please.
What do you feel is "coming to them" (us? I certainly don't feel threatened by anything more than usual lately, no more than any other non-white non-male, less possibly)?

Last edited:

Alexios

Shadow of the Tomb Raider bombed hard though.
Because it was a tired retread? The previous games did well enough. Are you trying to imply the reason it bombed is the lack of sexy costumes and if it at least had a few it'd have sold great or something?

Last edited:

FranXico

What do you feel is "coming to them" (us? I certainly don't feel threatened by anything more than usual lately, no more than any other non-white non-male, less possibly)?
I was just mockingly illustrating an extreme viewpoint, not supporting anything.
I don't perceive any threat to anyone either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom