• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is There Any Fanservice In Western Games For Straight Men Anymore?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Golden Kamuy is fujo bait. As somebody who has been reading the manga for the last 2+ years I can confirm. Even more fujo than JoJo and that is fine tbh. Both manga's have alot of humor and wtf moments to make up for it.
I’m really enjoying the show so far, some of the characters are straight up insane and highly entertaining.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'll say it again, the anti-sex tirade the left wing and feminists are on is just downright creepy to me.

Sex is just a natural part of life, there's nothing "offensive" about it in of itself, people by and large have literally lost their minds these days.
I think it's interesting that the far left regressives have become even more puritanical than the far right Evangelicals.

And yes as a female, I prefer to look at attractive, sexy female characters. SotTR outfits were so disappointing, not only was Lara covered head to toe but all the choices were ugly af. I'm not a fan of the silly looking Japanime characters, but I really like designs like earlier Bioware female characters i.e. Miranda, the alien woman in the skintight red bodysuit and most especially Morrigan.

MrRogers

Your definitely not the only one noticing OP, keep an eye on western game developers (Thank god for Japanese/Eastern European developers) to continue to remove all constraints on female and non-hetero sexuality while maximally restricting hetero male sexuality.

Really explains 4th wave feminism

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I must say I found the Mass Effect 2 and 3 girls to be extremely sexy. Miranda's huge ass, all the Asari cleavage, Jack's whole "suicide girls" thing. I think that was a good balance between the more realistic take that western devs go for while also providing copious sex appeal. It felt like a Western take on a JRPG party lol

291796-blackangel_2048x1152.jpg

That was all like 7 years ago tho. Feels bad :(

I must say I found the Mass Effect 2 and 3 girls to be extremely sexy. Miranda's huge ass, all the Asari cleavage, Jack's whole "suicide girls" thing. I think that was a good balance between the more realistic take that western devs go for while also providing copious sex appeal. It felt like a Western take on a JRPG party lol

I loved the women introduced in Mass Effect 2.

Thats why the direction of ME Andromeda was so sad to me. But in that case, I am not sure it was intentional. I know some people did blame it on identity politics. But personally I suspect those left at Bioware on that project were just incompetent compared to the old team. That whole game was hit with an ugly stick.

Last edited:

MrRogers

Probably the last sexually appealing feminine characters to appear in a western franchise, it's hard to pinpoint a exact time when sexual puritan feminist thought began to flourish in western games, but I figure it was around 2012-2014.

Now its all masculine women with stone jaws, covered in blood but fully clothed, standing overtop their male oppressors... Hyberbolic? Maybe a touch, but I expect future games like Last of Us 2 will live up to that image.

Its just the Anglo-Saxon countries thats afraid of sex and ruins it for the rest of us european, as they always do.
as someone who was raised in a country where they show uncensored nudity and swearing on the state sponsored tv channel, it baffles me that american gamers flip out over a sexy design for a character, or some clevage is shown, it's just such an imense culture shift.

Same with japanese games that self censor to please the US branch and market, it affects the rest of us european gamers, why not leave it as it was intended for europeans, neither PEGI or we would throw a fit

Last edited:

Ninjamaeden

Neo Member
Why do you need anime boobs to beat off to?

Ive got to be honest:- I've never had a oar in this race. I just don't see what the fuck is sexy about a video game character with gravity defying boobs, impossible body type and clothing that defies the laws of physics.

I'm not even trying to throw shade, I'm genuinely surprised that this is something people get off on. At least societies airbrushed and perfectly photographed version of a female looks somewhat realistic.

But real women don't look like that. You will never find a woman that looks remotely like the typical "fanservice" game character. You definitely won't find one that sounds like them. So why does it matter if they don't exist anymore?

Last edited:
Ah yes, the poor straight male, the real victim in this world.

Give me a break
I don't really understand why people feel that Straight Males need to suffer (not in relation to this threads content) in order to circumvent the atrocities done to minorities etc? I've always felt that goes against the entire point and message behind equality and wanting race/gender to be less of an issue in modern times.

Taking away straight males opinions doesn't necessarily fix humanity.

As far as this thread though:

It definitely is interesting how people are overly sexualizing male characters now as a means to "get back" at the previous female sexualization of earlier titles. Just sexualizing everyone.

CatCouch

I just learned that concept art site ArtStation (lots of professional artists working in the game industry on there) had it's app pulled. "Google suspended the ArtStation App from the Google Play store for the issue of Violation of Sexually Explicit Content policy".

Seriously read the link with the CEO's response. This is scary. Even the concept art on a professional art site is running into trouble now. I think there's some behind the scenes push to sanitize art or something. It's not just people complaining or artists suddenly deciding not to create sexy art, there's a clamp down and I want to know why.

Vulkar59

The less incidents for male gaze the better. I resent the tone and title of the thread, as if it is an issue of concern to begin with. The person who made this thread should be embarrassed with what he put forth.

tomiguelk

Neo Member
I like fanservice not only in my games, but also in movies, and literature. Sjw remind me of those people that instead of eating their meals are more worried looking at what others have in their plates. What worries me is that we are starting to see stealth censorship dictated by a small group of people in the way games are being made.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Some people acting as its sin to like sexy character designs? I said this before in similar thread but I don't want to live in world that it's wrong to like character design like this.
74489e1b82948a966bfc473134183bc6.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why do you need anime boobs to beat off to?

Ive got to be honest:- I've never had a oar in this race. I just don't see what the fuck is sexy about a video game character with gravity defying boobs, impossible body type and clothing that defies the laws of physics.

I'm not even trying to throw shade, I'm genuinely surprised that this is something people get off on. At least societies airbrushed and perfectly photographed version of a female looks somewhat realistic.

But real women don't look like that. You will never find a woman that looks remotely like the typical "fanservice" game character. You definitely won't find one that sounds like them. So why does it matter if they don't exist anymore?

iu
iu
iu

Yep, never will see people look like those "fanservice" characters. /s

Not even just women, there are plenty of examples for men:
iu
iu
iu

Impossible body type? Gravity defying boobs? Physics defying clothes? Hell, even most *anime* designs are still in the realm of reality. You are pretty full of shit, mate.

Last edited:

roflcaust

Neo Member
The reason why so many men feel assaulted by other gender groups looking for their rights on par to those that men enjoy, is that they bring up uncomfortable truths.

Every man on this thread has for sure argued with another woman and equated some of the things she said simply because of the fact that she was a woman.

How many times have you reciprocated this train of thought onto other men you were arguing with? Probably not many. Inherently, you don't think about such things simply because you're a guy but the angry LGBTQ+ groups that are now being vocal are either making you notice for the first time or reminding you of something you simply don't want to think about.

Men have enjoyed unparalleled, inherent, visible, invisible rights ever since the dawn of our short civilization. After all, this is a civilization designed by men with women taking a backseat in regards to the role they could bring to society besides culturally predefined roles of caretaker and child bearer.

But, does this have any legitimacy in video games? Well, you can make the argument that all art is political and since it is political, social progressive issues should be reflected in the art that is video games.

I believe it should be to an extent but it shouldn't be forced. If you can build a narrative to introduce oppressed groups, people would respond much more positively instead of changing canon lore simply to introduce identity politics into a game that you love.

Last but not least: people whose main political fuel is identify politics are not leftist as they often accommodate their views to that of capitalism. Any genuine leftist will claim that most issues our society is faced with has to do with inequality in social classes which produce racism and oppression, not the other way around that racism and oppression define social classes.

This misrepresentation of the left in the media really pisses me off because I truly dislike identity politics as they prevent any serious discussion of whether or not capitalism is the right system for our modern society. That's the real elephant in the room.

Last edited:
Get over yourself. Gaming is entertainment and doesn't need to become all bland bullshit to "grow up".

Yep op is definitely white. Only disgusting straight WHITE men like tits. No other straight men do.

Give everybody else a break and quit overreacting.
Nailed it!
Ah yes, white straight males, the oppressors by default who deserve everything that's coming to them.

Please.
Deserve everything that's coming to them? Not our fault your a flamer who's parents probably packed them inside the dashboard of a Ford Festiva to get here.

Cactuarman

Banned
We need a way to lessen the tension. I often see people lash out which just makes everything worse. A fairly recent example I have was someone telling me I was killing Deviant Art by posting a nude sketch (of Bowsette!). What's the solution? I really don't know what I'm supposed to do. I'm not going to stop drawing. The answer most certainly can't be Deviant Art pushing me off the platform.

I agree with your entire comment but in particular I just want to say that I think your response on DA was absolutely fantastic. You completely deflated someone who came at you way harder than was warranted. You were so reasonable and well spoken that they apologized (and good on them for the reflection - maybe they'll think first in the future).

Obviously you don't need my approval or anything and that's not how I mean this. I just wanted to tell you that.

The reason why so many men feel assaulted by other gender groups looking for their rights on par to those that men enjoy, is that they bring up uncomfortable truths.

Every man on this thread has for sure argued with another woman and equated some of the things she said simply because of the fact that she was a woman.

How many times have you reciprocated this train of thought onto other men you were arguing with? Probably not many. Inherently, you don't think about such things simply because you're a guy but the angry LGBTQ+ groups that are now being vocal are either making you notice for the first time or reminding you of something you simply don't want to think about.

Men have enjoyed unparalleled, inherent, visible, invisible rights ever since the dawn of our short civilization. After all, this is a civilization designed by men with women taking a backseat in regards to the role they could bring to society besides culturally predefined roles of caretaker and child bearer.

But, does this have any legitimacy in video games? Well, you can make the argument that all art is political and since it is political, social progressive issues should be reflected in the art that is video games.

I believe it should be to an extent but it shouldn't be forced. If you can build a narrative to introduce oppressed groups, people would respond much more positively instead of changing canon lore simply to introduce identity politics into a game that you love.

Last but not least: people whose main political fuel is identify politics are not leftist as they often accommodate their views to that of capitalism. Any genuine leftist will claim that most issues our society is faced with has to do with inequality in social classes which produce racism and oppression, not the other way around that racism and oppression define social classes.

This misrepresentation of the left in the media really pisses me off because I truly dislike identity politics as they prevent any serious discussion of whether or not capitalism is the right system for our modern society. That's the real elephant in the room.

Cheers for putting forth an argument, but little to almost none of this has to do with the topic at hand. You should take this to the political forum.

If you care to have a conversation about this topic, then do you think sexualized female characters are morally wrong, and what do you think should be done about them? Do you think men who enjoy sexualized female characters in their games should be shamed and judged? Why or why not?

Last edited:

roflcaust

Neo Member
I apologize for detracting this. Didn't read all of the original posts.

About sexualized characters in game. It doesn't bother me since I've never used sex as a basis as to whether or not I should buy a game.

In Western games, most women characters are starting to have primary protagonist roles or supporting roles that go beyond simply providing you with healing or either pre-ordained roles. Not all, but it's starting to move in that direction.

Japanese games, it's a whole different beast since women's rights in Japan are very backwards to those in Western society (i.e. having to quit your job if you get pregnant, forsaking any chance at a career, and becoming a stay-at-home mom for arguably the rest of your life) and such views towards women are reflected in mangas, animes, and games where women are often depicted as weak-willed individuals who always need to be protected (with certain exceptions of course but a lot of the games with strong women characters in Japanese games tend to oriented towards Western audience).

I was born and raised in France where sex is very much accepted there. In the U.S., because of our puritan Anglo-Saxon roots, sex is supposed to be a private matter that stays within the home. Does it have a place in videogames? Just as much as sex has a place in art, absolutely. Moving away from first generation Lara Croft style characters is definitely the right direction. Censorship is never the answer. If sexified characters in video games is wrong, a strong and well-stated narratives needs to counter the idea that sex in video games is fine.

Last edited:

People told me I was weird for liking Jack.

Danjin44

I apologize for detracting this. Didn't read all of the original posts.

About sexualized characters in game. It doesn't bother me since I've never used sex as a basis as to whether or not I should buy a game.

In Western games, most women characters are starting to have primary protagonist roles or supporting roles that go beyond simply providing you with healing or either pre-ordained roles. Not all, but it's starting to move in that direction.

Japanese games, it's a whole different beast since women's rights in Japan are very backwards to those in Western society (i.e. having to quit your job if you get pregnant, forsaking any chance at a career, and becoming a stay-at-home mom for arguably the rest of your life) and such views towards women are reflected in mangas, animes, and games where women are often depicted as weak-willed individuals who always need to be protected (with certain exceptions of course but a lot of the games with strong women characters in Japanese games tend to oriented towards Western audience).

I was born and raised in France where sex is very much accepted there. In the U.S., because of our puritan Anglo-Saxon roots, sex is supposed to be a private matter that stays within the home. Does it have a place in videogames? Just as much as sex has a place in art, absolutely. Moving away from first generation Lara Croft style characters is definitely the right direction. Censorship is never the answer. If sexified characters in video games is wrong, a strong and well-stated narratives needs to counter the idea that sex in video games is fine.
WHAT!!! do character like these look like weak willed to you!!?
yande.re%2045117%20sample%20balsa%20seirei_no_moribito%20weapon.jpg

3750173-7139900776-The-M.jpg

fujikomine2.jpg

latest

latest

latest

03_jade_main_toriyama-min.png

I would even argue there a lot more strong willed female character in Japanese games and anime than in western ones.

Last edited:

roflcaust

Neo Member
WHAT!!! do character like these look like weak willed to you!!?
yande.re%2045117%20sample%20balsa%20seirei_no_moribito%20weapon.jpg

3750173-7139900776-The-M.jpg

fujikomine2.jpg

latest

latest

latest

03_jade_main_toriyama-min.png

I would even argue there a lot more strong willed female character in Japanese games and anime than in western ones.

(with certain exceptions of course but a lot of the games with strong women characters in Japanese games tend to oriented towards Western audience).

Forgot to read the very next sentence of my previous post it seems.

Danjin44

(with certain exceptions of course but a lot of the games with strong women characters in Japanese games tend to oriented towards Western audience).

Forgot to read the very next sentence of my previous post it seems.
Like I said I would argue the are A LOT more strong willed female characters in Japanese games and anime than western games and movies.

Last edited:
So is everyone just going to ignore Overwatch,MOBA'S, and hero shooters as a whole, or are people just arguing for no reason?
That's actually a pretty good argument. Overwatch was a big new release and it introduced many sexy women in skintight suits that appeal to straight men. Just look at all the porn people make of OW characters. However, I still feel that, overall, there is a trend to reduce female character's attractiveness with many developers.

Papa

Banned

ME2 was the last good Bioware game. RIP :cry:

Cosmogony

Unsubstantaited assertion.

Do you have any evidence for that?

Asserted, but not substantiated. Therefore dismissed.

Men have enjoyed unparalleled, inherent, visible, invisible rights ever since the dawn of our short civilization.

Please name them. Please explain how this is connected to videogames.

After all, this is a civilization designed by men with women taking a backseat in regards to the role they could bring to society besides culturally predefined roles of caretaker and child bearer.

Civilization was designed?

That seems as accurate a characterization as saying biological life was designed. But, regardless, the picture you paint does not adequately describes contemporary WEIRD - Western Educated Industrialized Rich Democracies.

And since demand for videogames is arguably centred around WEIRDs, your point would not be relevant.

It is false that all art is political, that art is intrinsically pollical, unless you are willing to water down the term political to homeopathic levels. However, I am not going to make the philosophical case here. You used "should", which suggests a sense of moral obligation. Please make the moral case why so-called progressive issues should be reflected in videogames.

I believe it should be to an extent but it shouldn't be forced.

Would that be your opinion or an objective assessment?

If you can build a narrative to introduce oppressed groups,

Please show the groups you are referring to are oppressed in contemporary WEIRDs. If you cannot show that, then your entire point about videogames collapses.

people would respond much more positively instead of changing canon lore simply to introduce identity politics into a game that you love.

To me this reads like an incitement for real-life manifestos to be stealthy inserted into videogames. A sort of ideological product placement, if you will. Let me be clear: creators have complete sovereignty over their IPs. If they want to use them as vehicles for their real-life agendas, let them go for it. It's their game. They need not mine or anyone's permission. But they'd be well-advised to expect negative reactions from those who oppose those ideas, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

JordanN

Banned
Men have historically been treated as cannon fodder.

Look at WW2 and give me an estimate of how many men died? Give me an estimate of the number of men who were also pressed into service (i.e forced to fight or face death/imprisonment).

I do not believe women were taking a backseat anymore then Men who were raised to be nothing but soldiers, and then sent off to a foreign land to die for their political leader.

Last edited:
Unsubstantaited assertion.

Do you have any evidence for that?

Asserted, but not substantiated. Therefore dismissed.

Please name them.

Civilization was designed?
That seems as accurate a characterization as saying biological life was designed. But, regardless, the picture you paint does not adequately describes contemporary WEIRD - Western Educated Industrialized Rich Democracies.

It is false that all art is political, that art is intrinsically pollical, unless you are willing to water down the term political to homeopathic levels. However, I am not going to make the philosophical case here. You used "should", which suggests a sense of moral obligation. Please make the moral case why so-called progressive issues should be reflected in videogames.

Would that be your opinion or an object assessment of the matter?

Please show the groups you are referring to are opproseed in contemporary WEIRD societies.

To me this reads as incitement for real-life manifestos to be stealthy inserted into videogames. A form of ideological product placement, if you will. Let me be clear: creators have complete sovereignty over their IPs. If they want to use them as vehicles for their real-life agendas, let them go for it. It's their game. They need not my permission. But they'd be well-advised to expect negative reactions from those who oppose those ideas, though.

Demonstrably false. See below.

But that's not the intersectional claim. As the term implies, groups, not classes, which is aMarxism term (related to the role in production each occupies), get superimposed, intersected and then ranked according to how oppressed they are thought to be. Intersectional thought does not disregard class as a causal and analytical dimension, but rather intersects it with gender, race and, increasingly, sexual identity and other dimensions.

From a Marxist point of view, intersectionality may fail to give class its due centrality. But you are wrong in identifying leftism with Marxism. The latter is a subset of the former. Even when Marx was alive, his ideas were only a subset of left-wing politics. As for Leninism, it ranks as one among several strands of Marxism. In the far-left end of the spectrum alone, there are many non-Marxist strands which, naturally, do not adopt the Marxist view that class struggle is the engine of history.

In this regard, it's not a misrepresentation. Intersectionality belongs firmly to the left. One of the hallmarks it shares with Marxism is that it views capitalist liberal societies as its target.

That's patently false. Whenever identity politics partisans get an open mic they hardly ever fail to wax poetic on how evil capitalism is. They crave that conversation. Of course, they always loose the argument.

Capitalism is the best system, as copious empirical evidence has been showing on a hourly basis for almost two centuries now.

The suggestion that no one is raising the issue of whether caopitalism is the right system for humankind or not is flies in the face of contemporary political debate.

Oh my goodness, no. Stop it. Take that to the political forum.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
all i have to say is: thank god for Japan.

if i had to play only western dev games i probably would have never gotten into gaming. funny enough, the only games i play nowadays with sexy ladies are from Japan.

would a western company come up with Bayonetta? lol i don't think so.

just an endless list of space marines. in America we prioritize violence over sex, which is fucked up, but explains a lot. look at our foreign policy.

Last edited:

Breakage

Sexualised women in video games?
879.jpg

But oddly, it only seems to be Western developers that are giving in to the angry mob. Japan doesn't seem to care.

Danjin44

all i have to say is: thank god for Japan.

if i had to play only western dev games i probably would have never gotten into gaming. funny enough, the only games i play nowadays with sexy ladies are from Japan.

would a western company come up with Bayonetta? lol i don't think so.

just an endless list of space marines. in America we prioritize violence over sex, which is fucked up, but explains a lot. look at our foreign policy.
As graphics goes more hyper realistic the Western developers will makes the gameplay much more realism and much more simulation which as result they make much more "grounded" and dull character designs.

JordanN

Banned
As graphics goes more hyper realistic the Western developers will makes the gameplay much more realism and much more simulation which as result they make much more "grounded" and dull character designs.
Meh, I don't like the "realistic" excuse. You can still make characters pretty with lots of technology.

iUj0CfL.jpg

This is still hyper realistic without it looking like some fugly chucky doll. It's just that Western developers don't have their balls anymore like Asian developers do.

Last edited:
I mentioned this before, but Western developers prefer a more grounded, realistic approach to their characters, especially females. That’s fine and all, but imho that is one of the reasons I find Western designs and approaches dreadfully boring and unimaginative. I always liked the more over the top designs of Japanese developers over realism. I’m guessing these Western developers don’t want to offend anyone with remotely sexy designs and rather play it safe with the media.

I find it very strange and even hypocritical that Western culture shamelessly admires and worships models, singers, actresses, Instagram stars, youtubers, etc who dress and act provocatively, yet shame media that has scantily clad or sexy females, especially video games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom