• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there any reason to buy the PS5 physical version of a game if the PS4 version offers a free upgrade to PS5 digital?

Am I missing something or is it just plain smarter to buy the PS4 version? Just wondering because I'm buying Resident Evil Village and it has a free upgrade for the PS4 version to PS5 digital version. Why would I buy the PS5 only version and lock myself out of the PS4 version when I could just buy the PS4 physical copy to get both PS4 and PS5 (digital version)?

Last edited:

Klayzer

Am I missing something or is it just plain smarter to buy the PS4 version? Just wondering because I'm buying Resident Evil Village and it has a free upgrade for the PS4 version to PS5 digital version. Why would I buy the PS5 only version and lock myself out of the PS4 version when I could just buy the PS4 physical copy to get both PS4 and PS5 (digital version)?
That's what I have been doing. The only native PS5 game I have is Demon's Souls, all other games are the (upgradeable) PS4 version to not lock myself out of options. When offered, its looks like getting the PS4 version is the best option for your PS5.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Nope. I wouldn't consider buying PS4 versions of new games if the both had the same price, but many older titles can be bought much cheaper as PS4 copies and then upgraded for free to PS5 versions.

Last edited:
Nope. I wouldn't consider buying PS4 versions of new games if the both had the same price, but many older titles can be bought much cheaper as PS4 copies and then upgraded for free to PS5 versions.
Why though? Just because it says PS5 on the outer box, or what is the reasoning for buying PS5 physical over PS4 physical with free upgrade? I guess if you don't have a PS4 and don't plan to sell the game at any point you may just not care, but otherwise you're taking away the option to ever play it on PS4 by buying PS5 physical.

Last edited:

FranXico

Oh wow the disc grants a free digital copy of the game?
Disc enabled digital license. You play it as if it was a disc install. But obviously, you still need to activate your account access to the game and download it.
Worst of both worlds, in a way. LOL

Last edited:

Shmunter

With Hitman 3, seemingly you upgrade the disc to a full fat PS5 digital even. Don’t need the disc after. I think it must be a mistake tho.

With Hitman 3, seemingly you upgrade the disc to a full fat PS5 digital even. Don’t need the disc after. I think it must be a mistake tho.
lol, I bet if that's true it'll get fixed. You can just have one person buy the PS4 version and share it with everyone. Or buy it and install the PS5 version and resell it.

baphomet

You can use a PS4 disc to play the PS5 version. Such a disc will also allow you to play the PS4 version of the game on a PS4.
I have a PS5. My pro has been gone for months now. If I'm buying a PS5 game for myself, it will never at any point go into a PS4.

Mokus

If you already have the PS5, isn't that the best console on which to play the games? Why would you play the game on the annoyingly noisy PS4? Unless it's cheaper or the only version is available, better just buy the PS5 (also more valuable on the long run).

Kuranghi

Hmmm this thread got my thinking, I know the PS5 upgrade version you get needs to validate via the disc, but apart from that is it basically the same as digitial PS5 version? Ie fully updated? Or do you still have to download the latest patch after the PS5 version downloads?

I never considered that doing this might mean I'm locking myself out of playing unpatched versions of PS5 games in the future if that becomes a thing you need to do with PS6 or the like (I don't think it would, but just in case since thats how its worked with PS4 games on PS5). Maybe its better to get the PS5 disc version for this reason.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Why though? Just because it says PS5 on the outer box, or what is the reasoning for buying PS5 physical over PS4 physical with free upgrade? I guess if you don't have a PS4 and don't plan to sell the game at any point you may just not care, but otherwise you're taking away the option to ever play it on PS4 by buying PS5 physical.
I meant that about new games. I have a PS5 so I would like a PS5 copy if they both cost the same. I should also mention that I usually keep the retail copies I buy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom