• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there customizable GCN controller to assign buttons? Mega Man Collection dilemma

Alcibiades

The short question: Is there a customizable GCN controller to where I can switch button assignments (i.e. pressing Y on controller would be pressin X in-game, pressing B in controller would be pressing A in-game?)...

The long question: I've read throught the Megaman Collection thread, and there is a ton of mention of that Hori Controller (which I was/am going to purchase anyway for stuff like Midway Classics and Sonic Mega Collection), but of course the GCN version of MMC reverses the b-shoot a-jump thing, so buying that controller won't change that...

Is there a GCN Contoller (preferrably Hori-style/SNES style or not total cheapie that feels bad), that allows for button assigning since Capcom intentionally left that option out of the Collection...

I was going to buy this game FOR SURE if only to attempt a run through of MM2, MM3, and MM4 and maybe the others, but now I'm not so sure because of that controller thing...

Should I just invest some $30 to get old/used copies of Megaman 2 and Megaman 3 (I already have part 4) for NES?

Thing is, I hope there is a contoller out there cause that may actually be useful for other games than just Megaman, like maybe other Classic Collections and also GBA-player games... and if it's a quality one I may try it with Soul Calibur, etc...

anybody know of one?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The button config is not going to be different no matter which controller you use.

BuddyC

Serafitia said:
Too much trouble. Just get the PS2 version.

Something tells me this may not be an option here. You know, I wonder if it would be possible to create an Action Replay code that swapped the buttons? Likely not, but tis the only thing I can really think of.

Chony

Point is, everygame should be realeased with fully customizable buttons, there is no excuse. Its extremely simply to program, and just should be done.

Deg

Banned
efralope said:
The short question: Is there a customizable GCN controller to where I can switch button assignments (i.e. pressing Y on controller would be pressin X in-game, pressing B in controller would be pressing A in-game?)...

The long question: I've read throught the Megaman Collection thread, and there is a ton of mention of that Hori Controller (which I was/am going to purchase anyway for stuff like Midway Classics and Sonic Mega Collection), but of course the GCN version of MMC reverses the b-shoot a-jump thing, so buying that controller won't change that...

Is there a GCN Contoller (preferrably Hori-style/SNES style or not total cheapie that feels bad), that allows for button assigning since Capcom intentionally left that option out of the Collection...

I was going to buy this game FOR SURE if only to attempt a run through of MM2, MM3, and MM4 and maybe the others, but now I'm not so sure because of that controller thing...

Should I just invest some $30 to get old/used copies of Megaman 2 and Megaman 3 (I already have part 4) for NES?

Thing is, I hope there is a contoller out there cause that may actually be useful for other games than just Megaman, like maybe other Classic Collections and also GBA-player games... and if it's a quality one I may try it with Soul Calibur, etc...

anybody know of one?

Yes there are 3rd party GC pads with programmable buttons and more!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000060OD1/ref=br_lf_vg_h__5/026-4002992-1074016

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000066IU7/ref=br_lf_vg_h__15/026-4002992-1074016

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000060OD1/ref=br_lf_vg_h__5/026-4002992-1074016

BuddyChrist83 said:
Something tells me this may not be an option here. You know, I wonder if it would be possible to create an Action Replay code that swapped the buttons? Likely not, but tis the only thing I can really think of.
actually, it's possible...

Alcibiades

hmmm, the AR website didn't let me into their forums cause I used a free e-mail and then I couldn't change it...

I e-mailed them to fix the situation and I'll ask when I get a response, but does anyone know if FOR SURE FOR SURE FOR SURE the button swap is possible using AR?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
If you can't get the PS2 version, is it really THAT big a deal to get used to two buttons being switched around? :p

Alcibiades

actually, I haven't played them in a long time (just Megaman and Bass, which is kinda-like a Megaman 9), but I want to play them like I would on NES...

ge-man

Chony said:
Point is, everygame should be realeased with fully customizable buttons, there is no excuse. Its extremely simply to program, and just should be done.

They didn't even have to do that. MM 8 has the jump mapped to the X button as well as the B button, which fixes the control problems. Why couldn't the same control scheme be used across the board?

Lyte Edge said:
If you can't get the PS2 version, is it really THAT big a deal to get used to two buttons being switched around? :p
well, after playing some NES games on an emulator a while back with a pad set up with A and B reversed, it's instinctive to have the buttons the 'right' way and reactionary errors happen when they aren't...

Ryck

I just used the rapid fire button and for some reason it wasn't hard to adjust ......maybe because I hadn't played a mega man game in so long...

Top Bottom