• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there something fucky going on with online WHOIS tools? (re: domain snatching)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
For the past few weeks I've been involved in an e-commerce project that requires its own, recognizable name. The business itself doesn't even have a proper name yet, since finding a corresponding domain that isn't currently registered has been nigh impossible (and this being an internet first concern, we really need something both catchy and representative).

Anyway, after much digging I had finally come up with five potential names and their .com domains: three fairly good ones and two more that weren't neither fantastic nor too terrible. I submitted my picks to my partner so he could check them and register them for himself. Lo and behold, a few days later I get a call from him. Somebody had snatched four of those domains and already had three of them up for sale. You can imagine how surprised (and pissed off) we were. The owners are nominally located in Florida and Panama.

What is currently worrying me is that although all of those names have a distinct "retail" sound, NONE of them were easy to imagine and at least two of them (including the one I was "meh" about) had been unoccupied for a long time. I've talked to my partner and apparently he checked the domains using Godaddy's WHOIS tool and other similar sites a number times before deciding on one of them. When he made up his mind, they were already taken.

Now, this is not the first time something like this happens to me. A very long time ago I faced a similar situation when I tried to register a domain for my personal website, but I thought it was just some piss poor luck. Either way, I began to use the ICANN's WHOIS tool and nothing else out of caution. That this happened again not with one but FOUR relatively original domain names is making me super paranoid.

Has anybody else found themselves in a similar situation or do I have the worst luck ever?

Sarye

This happened with me on GoDaddy and it pissed me off. Now I don't even check except for testing the URL before deciding on a name.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Wow! Good to know, I bought a domain the other day and surprised it was available. Glad I didn't hesitate. Definitely won't anymore. o_o

Katori

Don't use GoDaddy. For anything.

They are a terrible company and there are hundreds of safer and better alternatives.

EloKa

Cybersquatting (or domain snatching) is a common thing and has created its own industry.

There are routines that will automatically try to register a domain if google has enough search queries for it. Also it is possible to look up WHOIS requests and if there are also some requests for an untaken domain: the robot will register it.

If you want a specific domain: don't look it up too much or it might be gone.

Edit: I don't like GoDaddy but I wouldn't blame "them" for snatching your domains.

darknemus

This is why you never use a registrar's tools to check for availability - I use whois.sc myself as it produces quick results and, thus far, has never resulted in one our domain names being hijacked before we've secured it for purchase. (I own about 50 - 60 domain names for different businesses and Entrepreneurial projects we've chosen to undertake)

ajim

Wow. First I've heard about these terms and I thought I learned the interwebs at a high level.

Crazy

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_front_running

Not the first time that I heard this about godaddy tbh. I also heard good things about them so....

Anyway, seems that when you want a domain, be ready to pay for it after the search or try to use other providers than godaddy (google, amazon, namecheap and so on)

Ugh. Unsurprised about Network Solutions partaking in this kind of shit. I wonder what kind of money they are making from front running considering the scope of their business.

Cybersquatting (or domain snatching) is a common thing and has created its own industry.

There are routines that will automatically try to register a domain if google has enough search queries for it. Also it is possible to look up WHOIS requests and if there are also some requests for an untaken domain: the robot will register it.

If you want a specific domain: don't look it up too much or it might be gone.

Edit: I don't like GoDaddy but I wouldn't blame "them" for snatching your domains.
Yeah, I don't know if GoDaddy fucked us over. I'm only naming them because it really struck me that this happened twice after using their WHOIS site. Those domains were also checked using other sites, so who knows which one(s) did us dirty.

Arkeband

Banned
GoDaddy sucks. If you're not tired of them after wading through their "$1 domains******" series of hoops to figure out exactly what you're signing your soul over for, they automatically register your phone number and email for solicitations. I had dozens of companies calling me asking to help set up my website until I finally went into my settings and turned it off and yelled at them a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom