• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is This Bad Game Design?

Okay, so I've been playing Gears 5 and enjoying it. I reached what appears to be a quite significant boss fight. A time consuming boss fight, at that, but not a particularly difficult one. However, every time my AI partner gets one hit by the boss I DIE. I'm not getting hit. I'm doing what I need to do to win. But it's repeatedly being taken out of my hands. There is nothing I can do to stop my AI partner getting splattered.

Eventually I got tired of wasting 10 minutes at a time, only to get killed through something that isn't my fault, and just quit. It's not worth the time investment. Sucks, because other than this, the game has been good.

This is poor design, in my opinion. Anyone disagree? Any examples of what you would consider bad game design you'd like to mention?

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Find someone to play it in coop but I'm guessing this is probably just a bug and not as intended so I would not qualify it as bad game design. AI partners in games are known to fuck up situations. This ain't new.

DonF

Find someone to play it in coop but I'm guessing this is probably just a bug and not as intended so I would not qualify it as bad game design. AI partners in games are known to fuck up situations. This ain't new.
It is bad design, cause game devs should consider someone playing solo. Most games that have a partner AI, make the AI invincible, unless you can somehow control the partner. If you don't have control over something, you shouldnt be punished by it, gamewise.

Last edited:
It is bad design, cause game devs should consider someone playing solo. Most games that have a partner AI, make the AI have invincible, unless you can somehow control the partner. If you don't have control over something, you should be punished by it, gamewise.
Agreed. Seems like an oversight on the part of the developers.

nkarafo

Partner AI bots, especially the ones that affect your performance/progress in the game without you being able to control them, is a bad game design period.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gears has similar enemy patterns but I don't think it diminishes the overall game design.

Yeah. That game will kill you from straying off a mission path which is horrendous game design.
Sometimes RDR2 asks you to hold L. You can hold it backwards and Arthur will still walk forward on a pre-determined path. Why not make it a cutscene?
I'm nearing the end of the story. RDR2 is the worst GOTY i've ever played. Everytime i play it's a mix of awe and annoyance.
I need to vent in the OT someday.

Saruhashi

Banned
Okay, so I've been playing Gears 5 and enjoying it. I reached what appears to be a quite significant boss fight. A time consuming boss fight, at that, but not a particularly difficult one. However, every time my AI partner gets one hit by the boss I DIE. I'm not getting hit. I'm doing what I need to do to win. But it's repeatedly being taken out of my hands. There is nothing I can do to stop my AI partner getting splattered.

Eventually I got tired of wasting 10 minutes at a time, only to get killed through something that isn't my fault, and just quit. It's not worth the time investment. Sucks, because other than this, the game has been good.

This is poor design, in my opinion. Anyone disagree? Any examples of what you would consider bad game design you'd like to mention?

It could be. Something to consider would be how other people have managed to get through this part of the game.

Assuming the game has gone through testing I wonder if this was picked up on and they just ignored it or if you are doing something unexpected that wasn't tested for.

I think that definitely an AI partner getting killed too easily and too frequently and with no chance to avoid it or bring them back would be bad game design. If they've tested it loads and in those tests everything went fine then it's difficult to cite "bad design" really.

For me bad game design would be things like bad camera angles and stuff that should have been caught almost immediately when the game was played by the dev team and by testers. Of course trying to think of specifics now is drawing a blank.

Sometimes RDR2 asks you to hold L. You can hold it backwards and Arthur will still walk forward on a pre-determined path. Why not make it a cutscene?
I'm nearing the end of the story. RDR2 is the worst GOTY i've ever played. Everytime i play it's a mix of awe and annoyance.
I fucking hated it. Played it for around 8 hours and sold it. And I loved the previous one.

GymWolf

It's my goty and i still perfectly understand your feelings...

Katsura

If it's as you describe it, then it's terrible game design

Aion002

For me it is. Anything that makes you fail at the game and is not under your control is a bad design. I hate RNG elements!

Last edited:
Top Bottom