• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this possibly the greatest sporting moment of all time?

Marvel14

Banned
Wow, this is the only video clip of "soccer" I've sat through that wasn't boring. Probably the greatest soccer play ever, yes.

It doesn't crack the top 10 sporting moments, though. No, not even close. It does have golf beat, though.
It must really get your goat that "soccer" is the most popular sport in the world I bet.

...all sports can be boring if you don't gel with their rules and flow...Happy indeed is the one who likes many sports, for their entertainment options are plentiful.

StormCell

It must really get your goat that "soccer" is the most popular sport in the world I bet.

...all sports can be boring if you don't gel with their rules and flow...Happy indeed is the one who likes many sports, for their entertainment options are plentiful.
Not really. Most of the world doesn't have good access to other sports. I don't really blame them for just going with what they have.

For my personal taste, there's simply just not enough scoring in soccer. They spend too much time and energy pushing the ball from one end to the other on a big field where the plays just aren't exciting. It's not like American football where there are plenty more big plays in addition to the scoring. Yeah, soccer is just way too much running back and forth. But hey, it's not much different than baseball where there's a lot of boring pitches happening and then a guy finally makes good contact straight at a fielder for a very routine boring out. :LOL:

But unlike soccer, I like baseball. I like it because of the way the action is broken down in methodical steps/plays.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
What about Liverpool Arsenal 1989 for the league title

Good still doesnt top Blackpol going up though:messenger_winking_tongue::messenger_winking_tongue:

Seriously though, anytime the scousers get beat will do for me, so close lol.

The city one though, for me tops it. ive got several pals who left the game in disgust only not to be aloud back in lol. They never live that one down. Especially as it pissed on UTD's chips as well:messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

HoodWinked

biggest mindfuck. 2nd ref appears out of nowhere.

IncompleteHappyKrill-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Not really. Most of the world doesn't have good access to other sports. I don't really blame them for just going with what they have.

For my personal taste, there's simply just not enough scoring in soccer. They spend too much time and energy pushing the ball from one end to the other on a big field where the plays just aren't exciting. It's not like American football where there are plenty more big plays in addition to the scoring. Yeah, soccer is just way too much running back and forth. But hey, it's not much different than baseball where there's a lot of boring pitches happening and then a guy finally makes good contact straight at a fielder for a very routine boring out. :LOL:

But unlike soccer, I like baseball. I like it because of the way the action is broken down in methodical steps/plays.

Your envy is showing...the relative scarcity of scoring in "soccer" is part of what builds tensión, chance making and great defending are awesome entertainment. And it makes scoring like having an orgasm. You only get that feeling in US sports with last gasp touchdowns, baskets or home runs that turn games at the death.

I find American Football a great sport if you suffer from Attention Déficit Disorder...it stops and starts so much and the stoppages are so freaking boring....i can't sit through a whole game without doing something else. But a great QB pass and catch, a great tackle or running play are excellent entertainment.

Baseball is boring 90% of the time unless you enjoy watching a bloke throw a Ball to a guy's oversized mitt most of the time...but even there...I could see myself appreciating it more with more understanding of batting skill and strategy and throwing strategies but scoring runs is visually super boring unless there's a throw to 4th base to accompany it.

Basketball scoring is so frequent that you can start watching at the final two quarters and not really have missed much most of the time. But again, I can see a real lover of the sport appreciating how that first half sets the stage for the second and how the teams spar and respond to eachothers tactics.

So in sum..I feel sorry for you that you don't like more sports.

We don't expect simple minded people (otherwise known as Americans) to understand football. It doesn't come packaged in bite sized chunks, bookended by commercials; it isn't something to do in between eating hot dogs and drinking 6,000 gallon buckets of Coke; we don't require halftime entertainment to prevent us from mentally prolapsing lest we be left alone with our thoughts for a few moments; and sometimes there are parts of the game that aren't filled with 📣ACTION🎉 designed to hold the attention of people addicted to opiates and adderall.

As a result of all of this you will need concentration and the ability to delay gratification in order to enjoy football. Stick with it though and you will be rewarded with this:

Instead of this:

StormCell

So in sum..I feel sorry for you that you don't like more sports.

You're right, and it's not soccer's fault that I'm just not all that into it. Truth is, I like my sports less and less as they've changed. I don't like baseball nearly as much as I once did because of the way the sport has evolved and the way tha teams have adapted. I could get into the subtle nuances of what I don't like about the sport's changes, but I would say that the fundamentals of the sport are still there: for example, pitching is still about hitting the right location with enough movement to fool the batter, and for the batter it's still about making great contact preferably while hitting the ball in a way that gives it lift. American football has also changed, and I don't much enjoy that sport like I used to.

In that sense, you're right to feel sorry for me because I don't like more sports. Even my sport and hobby of choice leaves me feeling existential--I like to fish competitively in a sport that loves to sell me the means to do that, and the rewards for winning are not what they used to be.

We don't expect simple minded people (otherwise known as Americans) to understand football. It doesn't come packaged in bite sized chunks, bookended by commercials; it isn't something to do in between eating hot dogs and drinking 6,000 gallon buckets of Coke; we don't require halftime entertainment to prevent us from mentally prolapsing lest we be left alone with our thoughts for a few moments; and sometimes there are parts of the game that aren't filled with 📣ACTION🎉 designed to hold the attention of people addicted to opiates and adderall.

As a result of all of this you will need concentration and the ability to delay gratification in order to enjoy football. Stick with it though and you will be rewarded with this:

Instead of this:

That first video is pretty damn awesome. I don't think we could get away with doing that at any public sporting event as it would surely send 60,000+ to their fiery graves, but it would still be an exhilarating sight to behold (minus the deaths of course). I would very much like to see something like that at a AEW/WWE event. I'm thinking Hell in a Cell just got a lot hotter!!

MastaKiiLA

I'll always ben partial to the Dunk of Death for individual sporting moments that resonate with me:

Though, as a Miami loc, this is the single greatest moment in sports history, because the entire team's legacy was riding on that one shot:

Have you seen the highlights with Alan Shearer's commentary? It's brilliant, he sounds like a closet Liverpool fan. I've tried to find it on Youtube but it doesn't seem to be there anymore.
I don't think that I have. If you happen to find it please send it my way, I'd love to see it!

Tams

Wow, this is the only video clip of "soccer" I've sat through that wasn't boring. Probably the greatest soccer play ever, yes.

It doesn't crack the top 10 sporting moments, though. No, not even close. It does have golf beat, though.
I find football a drag, but it's still much less boring than baseball or American handegg.

Basketball and ice hockey are the only decent major sports you have. And even then all the pomp is super tacky.

StormCell

I find football a drag, but it's still much less boring than baseball or American handegg.

Basketball and ice hockey are the only decent major sports you have. And even then all the pomp is super tacky.
Hockey is just pure awesomeness. I have loved every hockey game I've attended. Everything about the sport radiates "I'm going to collide with you, and what happens afterward depends on which one of us throws a punch." :)

Tams

Hockey is just pure awesomeness. I have loved every hockey game I've attended. Everything about the sport radiates "I'm going to collide with you, and what happens afterward depends on which one of us throws a punch." :)
As a none North American, it's still incredibly tacky.

Not that football fans are epitomes are decency or uncringeworthiness.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That is pretty amazing. But also why I kinda hate football. It's just full of diving divas and little bitches. Pisses me off to no end.

I thought I would love this thread. Then I saw soccer, WWF, and the Miami Heat. Jesus.

For me it's Kirk Gibsons homerun in 1988.

lol yea, and not even the good WWF stuff (#1 Mick Foley off the Hell in the Cell, #2 McMahon getting hit with a bedpan). Here are some random things, don't think they are the greatest single thing or whatever but still impressive:

This one is crazy tense, I don't follow F1 at all but seeing Mansell post consecutive fastest laps to catch up is insane:

TheGrat1

Uhhh, no. Not even close.

A lot of people in this thread are stretching the definition of the word "moment." No, a guy going from last to first over the course of an entire race may be an awesome spectacle to behold, but something that takes place of the the course of hours is not a "moment." Nor are the highlights of an entire game.
The only two moments I have seen anyone post here so far that qualifies in the category of all-time, elite, greatest moments in sports so far was MastaKiiLA MastaKiiLA posting Vince's Carters posterization of Fredrick Wise. It was concise, incredible, and the type of thing you see maybe once a decade, if that. And Wheeljack539 Wheeljack539 with Gibson's home run. If it was just a home run in the WS I would not care. Home runs happen all the time. The fact that he did it in the Series with basically two bum legs was incredible.

The greatest sports moment of all time is literally the greatest miracle play in the history of sports. A play so incredible it needed a name that could properly encapsulate it's glory:
THE IMMACCULATE RECEPTION
For those who are unfamiliar with what makes this so incredible: This is the 1972 divisional playoffs (December 23, 1972), whoever loses this game is eliminated from contention for the league title; their season is over. On a rain soaked field where neither offense made considerable gains all day, the home team Steelers were down one point late in the game, 7 to 6, after a 30 yard scramble for a touchdown by Raiders quarterback Ken Stabler with 1:17 left in the game. Compounded on top of all of this is that the Steelers, at this point, are a loser franchise. They had never won a single playoff game in their 39 years of existence (this was only their second playoff appearance). They were a punching bag for other teams in the league for decades. Meanwhile, the Raiders were a successful franchise that had been one game away from the league championship 3 times in the past 4 years. In other words, a downtrodden franchise had just had a playoff victory snatched away from them in the least minutes by a blue chip contender.
Eventually, the Steelers were on their own 40 yard line. 4th down, 10 yards to go, 22 seconds left in the game. If the Steelers do not gain at least 10 yards on their next play, they lose and the game is over. Even if they gain 10 yards, because they have no time outs they likely will not have enough time to run another play, and the game would be over. Basically, everyone thought this was a done deal. Head Coach Chuck Noll calls in a play, 66 Circle Option, to quarterback Terry Bradshaw and this happens:

P.S. Good Lord the NFL is so stingy with letting clips play on other sites.

The reaction from the Raiders sideline is complete and utter shock:

To this day there are people who claim the play did not happen. It is that unbelievable.
Only 17 seconds and it is the source of so much curiosity and emotion. What other 17 seconds in sports could have a 40 minute documentary made about it?

Simply the GOAT.
tumblr_ne9umjM3sC1qbvapjo5_250.gifv

Other worthy nominees:

Another play that that people say did not happen.

Last edited:

TheGrat1

LMAO at the dude who wrote a novel and put up two Steelers plays as the greatest sporting moment of all time like anybody is gonna buy that homer shit :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The Immaculate Reception is literally considered the Greatest Play in NFL History and Roethlisberger to Holmes is the most spectacular game-winning touchdown in Super Bowl history. Their greatness is perfectly encapsulated in just a few seconds, making them far more worthy of the word "moment" than most of the submissions in this thread. Even the "do you believe in miracles!" moment from the Lake Placid Olympics is just the end of the game, and would be completely meaningless without showing how the USA actually, you know, scored more goals than the Soviets. Something that has no relevance without hours of play before hand versus two literally unbelievable (as I said, people to this day doubt they happened) plays.

They certainly blow the play from the OP out of the water, which was just your typical "dribble to the side of the box and try to get a cross" offense that you see every team attempt in every soccer game dozens of times.

Also I said Vince Carter's dunk was worthy of consideration as well as other moments that have nothing to do with the Steelers.

But since no one "is gonna buy any of that homer shit" then sell me your greatest moment in sports. I doubt it stacks up.

This was a pretty good sporting moment.

For some context, the kid was a fan of Leeds United and his favourite player was El Hadji Diouf. He decided to dress up as him and hoped to meet him. When Diouf saw him outside the ground he went up to him so that they could have their picture taken. Diouf said he thought it was great that the kid idolised him and saw loved the costume.

SZYKXM8.jpg

Last edited:

Rickyiez

There were a few moments that I witnessed which I consider as the greatest .

First one how Giannis's hyperextension injury on his left knee during the Playoff final turned into a championship . Like this was how horrible it is
f160364b-4612-4e67-89b3-09cd69dc2417

Then he came back the next game , dominated the remaining series as if nothing happened .

Legendary 50pts in game 6 to seal the championship . This solidified him as the Greek God

----------------------------

The next one is probably Lebron led Cavaliers to win the championship from a 1-3 deficit come back(only team to do it in the Final) against the reigning champion Golden State Warrior who defeated them the year prior .

Blocked By James was such an iconic moment

--------------------------

And finally , Luka Doncic’s Bang! …. Bang! was pretty magical. It was an insanely difficult step back 3 buzzer beater executed at perfect timing and was guarded very well too. Mike Breen only called his iconic Bang! twice and this was one of it

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

This year

Finland winning their first Olympic hockey gold was incredible. The timing in history over their opponent adding importance and making it one of the greatest moments in sports.

In the realm of importance as

Top Bottom