• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this who you’ve always been or merely what you’ve become?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
HtZ9OHA.png

What happened to my morales, GAF?

Dunki

You became victim of their own toxic and fascist ideology. You saw the light how fucking crazy some people have become which also was reflected in te Forums, with ridiculous mass bannings, Though police and an incredible toxic atmosphere.^^

You became a better person :p And GAF became a place of diverse opinions which are also very SJW^^

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I think 'member' describes that person succinctly.

All these little feel good rants look the same. Establish false superiority or virtuousness, lament how someone isn't 'pure' enough. End with some 'poignant' phrase from your ninth grade novel attempt. Lean back reading through your bifocals as you slide a finger up your ass.

These people fall apart like biscuits when pressed.

Last edited:
God I wish people could just relax and chat cordially about games and other things without digging in their heels to fight for their position.

Whatever your beliefs, we're all basically the same. Just people trying to get by in life while enjoying what we can while we're here. Is life fair? No, and it never will be. But life is so much easier when you accept that things are not necessarily the way you want them to be in all aspects, and many things never will be.

Focus on the good in your life - because it is certainly there, and let the other stuff go. Life is so brief. What a waste to use it fighting and focusing on what you don't like about it.

The older generations had it right in some ways when they said, "If you don't have anything nice/good to say, don't say anything at all. " We (many in the world today) spew venom constantly, and then we're surprised we live in a toxic environment. Oh the irony.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Those who parse everything through a group mentality -- at least, the more clever ones -- have to ask this question because their association with said group "stains" them with any sins committed by the group.

They can either conclude the group was always evil but did a better job in the past of hiding it, absolving the individual of their own association. "I may have been a part of that group, but I didn't notice they were evil. I was just following orders. I'm innocent".

They can conclude the group became evil and was once good, preserving any good deeds this person did while associated with the group but condemning any behavior post-evil-switch. "I may have been a part of that group, but they didn't become evil until after I had already cut ties with them. Not only am I innocent, but I am more perceptive than the people who stuck with the group after they became evil."

Or they can conclude all groups are a combination of individuals who are each ultimately responsible for their own behavior and their own participation in the group. "I was a part of that group and I didn't take responsibility for my actions, which led to my own negative behavior. I now am better equipped to perceive these situations and to avoid them in the future."

This latter conclusion does not jive with the types who tend to congregate in ideological/political mass movements.

Mihos

Gold Member
When you are so far left that Tulsi Gabard looks alt-right.... I guess everything is a cesspool.

Not sure what they mean by equality. I see every opinion represented and the site is a lot more safe for all sides.... even the bat shit crazy ones.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I wonder if he realizes how little intelligence he actually has. Nothing here is "alt-right". We have a few nutters that subscribe to idiotic tribal ideas on both sides, but they are treated as the laughingstocks they are and are treated accordingly by the moderation staff.

It could also just be a random troll and not some sad sack of shite who actually believes the crap they are saying.

Barsinister

Banned
I don't rightly know why this thread title hit me so hard this morning as I'm sitting here drinking a cup of coffee and headed to work, but it did. It made me think of this quote....

Sometimes we’d have that whole river all to ourselves for the longest time. Yonder was the banks and the islands, across the water; and maybe a spark—which was a candle in a cabin window; and sometimes on the water you could see a spark or two—on a raft or a scow, you know; and maybe you could hear a fiddle or a song coming over from one of them crafts. It’s lovely to live on a raft. We had the sky up there, all speckled with stars, and we used to lay on our backs and look up at them, and discuss about whether they was made or only just happened. Jim he allowed they was made, but I allowed they happened; I judged it would have took too long to MAKE so many. Jim said the moon could a LAID them; well, that looked kind of reasonable, so I didn’t say nothing against it, because I’ve seen a frog lay most as many, so of course it could be done. We used to watch the stars that fell, too, and see them streak down. Jim allowed they’d got spoiled and was hove out of the nest.

It's from "Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain. Thank you for giving me a good thought to ponder today.

“Think on your sins” - The jawless guy from Skyfall.

EDIT

What kills me about the “alt-right cesspool” label is A.) it’s way overused and B.) in this case it’s simply untrue.

Just because it’s safe to have right wing views here doesn’t make this an “alt-right cesspool.”

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm going to take the question of thread title literally, here. I think it's a poignant question to think about and answer.

Am I the same person I was years ago or is the person I am today who I've become over the decades?

I think it's a combination of both. My nature to always help people is the same, maybe heightened a bit. Like my mom says, I love everybody... And that certainly hasn't changed.

What HAS changed, however, is that I'm stronger than I used to be. A bit more unafraid yet I struggle with anxiety and depression. I'm not as happy as I used to be but I try to live in the moments that I AM happy.

I'm also 45 now (birthday was last week) and I have pains "in places I didn't even know I had places" (a joke line from an old show called 'Sledgehammer'). But I enjoy getting older now. Every day is a gift. I've contemplated suicide several times over the decades... Once recently this year. Life IS hard but it's more worthwhile when you can see the good things in your life, both new and steady.

Anyway... I think for most people, it's a mix of some things staying the same about themselves and some things changing... Whether good or bad.

Those who say Alt Right usually don’t know what it even means smh. By their definition, Obama is Alt Right.

All the non whites here are white supremacist. Remember when that was just a funny sketch on Chappelle Show.

appaws

Banned
Seriously, I look in at that other place from time to time since I was perma'd. Go look at one of their shooting threads, or any thread pertaining to Trump, or anything regarding any sort of sexual identity issue. Every response is identical in tone. There is really no discussion to be had. Even moderate Democrat types who don't hew to the party line on evil cops, evil white people, or the grossest excesses of post-modern sexuality being wonderful are at risk of a ban, or at least an ugly public shaming.

I like what we have going here. Actual diversity of points of view. From Anarchists to Francoists able to spout off and maintain a modicum of civility.

JSoup

Banned
Those who parse everything through a group mentality -- at least, the more clever ones -- have to ask this question because their association with said group "stains" them with any sins committed by the group.

They can either conclude the group was always evil but did a better job in the past of hiding it, absolving the individual of their own association. "I may have been a part of that group, but I didn't notice they were evil. I was just following orders. I'm innocent".

They can conclude the group became evil and was once good, preserving any good deeds this person did while associated with the group but condemning any behavior post-evil-switch. "I may have been a part of that group, but they didn't become evil until after I had already cut ties with them. Not only am I innocent, but I am more perceptive than the people who stuck with the group after they became evil."

Or they can conclude all groups are a combination of individuals who are each ultimately responsible for their own behavior and their own participation in the group. "I was a part of that group and I didn't take responsibility for my actions, which led to my own negative behavior. I now am better equipped to perceive these situations and to avoid them in the future."

This latter conclusion does not jive with the types who tend to congregate in ideological/political mass movements.

A variation on this is the '4chan mentality'.
It's all evil, but it's self contained and if you're here, you accept that you're being exposed to it in one form or another in small doses.
This leads to a fourth type to add to your list, the people who allow the constant exposure to evil to become so common place that they've grown numb to it, but aren't actively making any excuses for it. "Yes, it's bad, maybe some good has come of it, whatever. Meh."
This is arguably worse as it crosses the line created by the banality of evil. You're not just some office worker pushing paper for an evil overlord, you're someone who is completely aware of the evil you're participating in....you just don't care anymore.

Last edited:

Shifty

B.) in this case it’s simply untrue.

Just because it’s safe to have right wing views here doesn’t make this an “alt-right cesspool.”
Ah, but that's the trick. Alt-right doesn't mean anything anymore, it's long since passed the epithet line and kept on trucking off into the sunset.

What we see here, is a case of "orange-and-white-logo-man bad".

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
„I’ve logged in the first time in years, and find GAF not reflecting my radical left views. Better call them all alt-right nazis regardless of their actual political orientations.”
Piss off to ReeeeEra to the rest of the mindless woke zombies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom