• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this who you’ve always been or merely what you’ve become?

cr0w

Old Member
esai-morales.jpg

I found your Morales.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I got here at the tail end of the GAFpocalypse... Before then, I used this as my news site for videogames. The moderation was ... Too extreme. Folks were getting banned because they didn't think knocking out a "Nazi" was productive. Not every republican is a Nazi or even a klan member. Made me afraid to join because I wasn't part of the ultra-humanite woke club.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I mean it's pretty obvious with all our wholesome OT threads that we sleep with copies of Mein Kampf under our pillows.
Hmph you haven't even made one unironic nazi thread

Papa

Banned
Funny thing is that lame space is triggered by some apparent betrayal that only he can see. EL has never changed his stance on climate change or the Paris Accord as far as I'm aware -- he simply allows people who disagree to exist on his forum. Imagine being such a pathetic little cretin that you can't handle being around wrongthink and interpret the presence of it as some kind of moral failing of the forum owner.

Helios

I'm really interested in what the guy found alt-right in OT.
Dunpachi's thread about noises from nature? The thread where Firmament found out their friend is bi and he happy for them? Cunth's thread about trimming ass hair?

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Funny thing is that lame space is triggered by some apparent betrayal that only he can see. EL has never changed his stance on climate change or the Paris Accord as far as I'm aware -- he simply allows people who disagree to exist on his forum. Imagine being such a pathetic little cretin that you can't handle being around wrongthink and interpret the presence of it as some kind of moral failing of the forum owner.
TLkv93X.png

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Correct. I didn't ban people for holding different positions about it back then, either.

Barnabot

Sometimes people just wanted to check if you were still feeling somewhat miserable since the exodus. Sometimes when you turn things around and keep on prospering in your life it may trigger some people who can't help themselves but to feel miserable in their own pity lives which most of them are responsible for that.

Papa

Banned
Sometimes people just wanted to check if you were still feeling somewhat miserable since the exodus. Sometimes when you turn things around and keep on prospering in your life it may trigger some people who can't help themselves but to feel miserable in their own pity lives which most of them are responsible for that.

Deplatforming isn’t meant to fail. The kind of people who engage in it are already at the bottom of the social hierarchy, so failing at the only thing they’re good at is a near-fatal ego blow.

Barnabot

Deplatforming isn’t meant to fail. The kind of people who engage in it are already at the bottom of the social hierarchy, so failing at the only thing they’re good at is a near-fatal ego blow.
And yet GAF is doing just fine after the exodus. I guess sometimes some people even suck at the only thing they're focused on doing such as deplatforming others. At the end of the day negativity only attracts more negativity and people could do so much more things than trying to bring some other people down just for the sake of leveling everyone in the same level as their miserable lives currently are.

Papa

Banned
And yet GAF is doing just fine after the exodus. I guess sometimes some people even suck at the only thing they're focused on doing such as deplatforming others. At the end of the day negativity only attracts more negativity and people could do so much more things than trying to bring some other people down just for the sake of leveling everyone in the same level as their miserable lives currently are.

Because they’re losers. Try as we might to flatten the bell curve, there will always be winners and losers in life. Sometimes it just takes time for it to become apparent who won and who lost.

Skyr

I'm going to take the question of thread title literally, here. I think it's a poignant question to think about and answer.

Am I the same person I was years ago or is the person I am today who I've become over the decades?

I think it's a combination of both. My nature to always help people is the same, maybe heightened a bit. Like my mom says, I love everybody... And that certainly hasn't changed.

What HAS changed, however, is that I'm stronger than I used to be. A bit more unafraid yet I struggle with anxiety and depression. I'm not as happy as I used to be but I try to live in the moments that I AM happy.

I'm also 45 now (birthday was last week) and I have pains "in places I didn't even know I had places" (a joke line from an old show called 'Sledgehammer'). But I enjoy getting older now. Every day is a gift. I've contemplated suicide several times over the decades... Once recently this year. Life IS hard but it's more worthwhile when you can see the good things in your life, both new and steady.

Anyway... I think for most people, it's a mix of some things staying the same about themselves and some things changing... Whether good or bad.
Very honest and wise post.
I always enjoy reading your takes on different topics.
You’re a good dude 👍

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to take the question of thread title literally, here. I think it's a poignant question to think about and answer.

Am I the same person I was years ago or is the person I am today who I've become over the decades?

I think it's a combination of both. My nature to always help people is the same, maybe heightened a bit. Like my mom says, I love everybody... And that certainly hasn't changed.

What HAS changed, however, is that I'm stronger than I used to be. A bit more unafraid yet I struggle with anxiety and depression. I'm not as happy as I used to be but I try to live in the moments that I AM happy.

I'm also 45 now (birthday was last week) and I have pains "in places I didn't even know I had places" (a joke line from an old show called 'Sledgehammer'). But I enjoy getting older now. Every day is a gift. I've contemplated suicide several times over the decades... Once recently this year. Life IS hard but it's more worthwhile when you can see the good things in your life, both new and steady.

Anyway... I think for most people, it's a mix of some things staying the same about themselves and some things changing... Whether good or bad.
Happy birthday for last week!
I hope your 46th year is the best so far!!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I have no issue with OP raising this question of own personal growth, it starts with seeing it in oneself, and I think we all have aspirations of growing wiser and knowing what to do week in, week out.

Top Bottom