• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this Xbox's Most Disappointing Generation?

Is Xbox One the most disappointing console in Microsoft's history?

• Yes

Votes: 199 65.7%
  • No

Votes: 75 24.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 29 9.6%

• Total voters
Without a doubt

I moved from PS3 to the 360 early in the gen due to some key exclusives. Made the move during peak Halo 3, Gears, and MW2. Probably the golden age for multiplayer games. The fact that a lot of people used the mic was an absolute game changer, and this was back in the day when Xbox was releasing top tier games (which insane critical, and commercial success). Ofc it started to die down towards the end of the gen, but I never once regret my purchase.

I got the XB1 just for Halo, but I have to admit I've been disappointed with the overall quality. Outside of BC, nothing MS have done was a massive success. There was no stellar exclusive which blew me away.

I have to say though this trend of xbox exclusives coming to PC is very positive, and means MS is more likely to invest into new games due to an even larger audience.

God of War is the turning point for me to finally admit Xbox have failed in comparison to the competition.

hiphopcr

List of Xbox One Failures:

Fable Legends
Scale Bound
Ryse
Project Spark
Quantum Break
Sea of Thieves
Sunset Overdrive
Dead Rising 3
ReCore

not sure how many more they can afford..

List of PS4 Failures:

No backwards compatibility
No 4K bluray
No Game Pass
No EA All Access
Anti-crossplay
Half measured and ill supported PS4Pro
Inferior and constantly hacked network
Inferior controller
All console exclusives that didn't sell like Lawbreakers and The Order
Dearth of exclusives in first three years
Redundancy of exclusives (single player 3rd person adventure games)

Fun game to point fingers and disparage what other people are enjoying right ?

List of PS4 Failures:

No 4K bluray
No Game Pass
No EA All Access
Anti-crossplay
Inferior controller

means absolutely nothing. quality of games is the most important factor. sony has only had 1 failure this gen and that was The Order 1886. everything else has been a smash hit. and i thought we were all grown up and the console wars was over, sad to see 13year olds still frequent this site. but fyi i have an xbox one original so im not a fanboy.

Last edited:

Codes 208

List of PS4 Failures:

No 4K bluray
No Game Pass
No EA All Access

Anti-crossplay
Inferior controller

Hes got a point though. Sony can afford a few failures, MS cant.

as for the bolded, these are fairly moot issues in comparison to what theyve done right.

Last edited:

hiphopcr

and i thought we were all grown up and the console wars was over, sad to see 13year olds still frequent this site.
You're spouting off nonsense like Sunset Overdrive was a failure and that any list of PS4 failures means "absolutely nothing" while becrying console wars in the same breath?

giphy.gif

rokkerkory

Xbox OG was the worst imo, was cut short... this generation was disappointing in the beginning for sure but is turning around.

Last edited:
You're spouting off nonsense like Sunset Overdrive was a failure and that any list of PS4 failures means "absolutely nothing" while becrying console wars in the same breath?

giphy.gif

dude why are u so upset? and sunset overdrive did fail. the game was mediocre and apparently didn't even sell well for MS to fund a sequel.

grumpyGamer

I just had this conversation with a friend today, in that we talked about what happened to MS this generation, there is nothing for the gamer, no incentive, nothing, so really disappointing from a consumer stand point.
I am a really hardcore gamer and there is nothing that xbox has on the horizon that i want...so yeah, would really like to know what MS is thinking .

hiphopcr

I just had this conversation with a friend today, in that we talked about what happened to MS this generation, there is nothing for the gamer, no incentive, nothing, so really disappointing from a consumer stand point.
I am a really hardcore gamer and there is nothing that xbox has on the horizon that i want...so yeah, would really like to know what MS is thinking .
Strange, I feel the exact same way about Playstation.

Also, calling what Microsoft has done "disappointing from a consumer stand point" is something only the most biased of fanboys could conjure.

Leonidas

No, this is their best gen as far as I'm concerned.

Original Xbox was discontinued at this point in that generation.
Xbox 360 was mainly focused on Kinect at this point in that generation(which pushed me to other platforms).
Xbox One is the most powerful console with great features and plays the best games from previous gen Xbox consoles much better than previous consoles could.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This is a loaded question no matter how you look at it because everyone will interpret it in a different fashion depending on from a hardware stance or a game stance, excetera.

Someone who owns every console basically since the SNES I can say that the Xbox One definitely had the roughest start in terms of hardware from Microsoft. The Xbox and the Xbox 360 felt like they were made by people that love games. Xbox One didn't feel that way.

But I have enjoyed Microsofts games this gen a lot and it feels very diverse. I have dropped countless hours into Killer Instinct and Halo 5, and the support for those games and Gears 4 has been phenomenal. KI is still the most underated game this gen imo.

Their list of games goes on that I enjoyed immensely with Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2 and 3, quantum Break, Halo Wars 2. Ori and the blind Forest.

And with Gamepass I am playing more games than ever before.

So yea I like the Xbox this generation. It's a great console that's been tainted by bad decisions and frankly a lot of bad console war BS.

II've seen it in this very thread of this notion that Ryse and Quantum break are "bad" games because their meta score is low. And that narrative Keeps getting passed around as truth when a lot of people that played they games that are "bad" really liked them. And the people that haven't are spreading bs the internet started.

Microsoft has a messaging problem. And at this point I don't see them being able to recover from it until next generation.

Even if Halo 6 is the best game ever made, people will still find a way to bury it. With arguments like it's just another Halo game, it's not a "true" exclusive, etc.

But the biggest one is this comparison of tentpole games is justification to quaility.

As if Horizon is comparable to Quantum Break as a mesuring stick of quality.

The launch of the One is something Microsoft can't seem to shake and that's their own fault they let it happen and they should of seen the wiriting on the wall.

The internet NEVER forgets.

And they likely won't recover until next gen when they can try again and wash away the Ones bad vibes.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

I enjoyed the hell out of mine, not to the level of the 360 BUT I think that largely has to do with age/life stages for me. early 360 era I was in my early 20's, small cheap apartment, lots of disposable income with very little commitments.

90% of the disappointed waving torches in xbox debates are the same people who also say "I will never buy a M$ product" lol

Last edited:

Crew 511A

I love my Xbox One. It's become the ultimate Sega box. Virtual On, VF2 and 5, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Daytona, Guardian Heroes, and soon, a bunch of Genesis classics all on one system? Hard to pass that up.

My only grip is that the controller drift is a real pain. This needs to be addressed.

You realize you are precisely the reason this meme exists?

like a blast from the past. it was mediocre to ME i dont care what reviewers say. and in this day and age if a game doesn't get a sequel its most likely because it flopped sales wise. keep trying.

Last edited:
I would say so. Original XBOX got some solid exclusives and a variety of exclusives, both first and 3rd party, maybe not quite on par with the competition for the most part but still solid. Hardware was also really great for a console at the time, not just in power (although this helped since it got some greatly superior multiplats (Splinter Cell series being a prime example) and some console exclusives since it could run some high end PC game, with obvious sacrifices) but finally having a hard drive, and of course online compared to the other consoles. I got one, along with a PS2 and Gamecube..

360 had the infamous RRoD crap, I personally went through 6 before I got sent back one that worked continuous and eventually swapped it for a slim. However again it got a nice variety of exclusives, both first and 3rd party, and PS3's complicated hardware also again worked in its favor for multiplats, since PS3 did get some really bad ones in comparison to the 360 version, although it did become less of a common thing as time went on, and even started getting some superior ones. I got one since it was the first one out and eventually got a PS3, since despite the PS3's bad start that thing started catching up and surpassing in quality exclusives, so I will say MS did start really dropping the ball on 360 in the later years as it really was just a multiplat machine for me in the later years.

XBOX One, I will say after the forced online stuff, despite going back on it, still pushed me to get a PS4, and I already had a Wii U (which I got asap since I didn't get a Wii, to get Wii games asap to get rarer Wii games asap before prices rose). Despite that, the X1 did look like it started out with a slightly stronger exclusive library. However it lost the multiplat advantage of the previous 2 gens, however it wasn't getting gimped multiplats either...for the most part. Although of course now with the mid gen upgrade the multiplat thing is back in the XBOX's favor, but PS4 Pro isn't getting gimped multiplats either, but most people still own base versions of the consoles anyway. However X1 did quickly follow how the 360 was of its later life after the more even launch. While there is some occasional variety in there, like Ori and Cuphead, the variety of exclusives have definitely been lacking, not been much in terms of 3rd party exclusives other than a few MS funded ones, like Dead Rising 3, and there first party games just haven't been wowing other than the Forza Horizon series, with a lot of there stuff being big disappointments. It definitely is more for the multimedia features, but if you don't care about that, I don't, then there actual game machine part is pretty disappointing. I've never found any reason to get one, even if I would like to play Sunset Overdrive, and Cuphead and Ori works on pretty basic PC's, even my basic little thing.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Despite buying almost every console on launch day (I still own stuff like 3D0, Virtual Boy, etc), I was so put off by Xbox's original reveal, I didn't want to purchase one.

I purchased my One when they first
announced BC. I want to support that. But, I have to be honest - I haven't made use of it even once. I love knowing I CAN play 360 games on my current generation console, I just haven't felt compelled to.

I play all my cross-platform games on PlayStation or Switch just put of personal preference. I also never cared for most FPS games (outside of stuff like Bioshock, Prey, etc) and I don't do racers. That left me with very little. I own a total of two X1 games, both indies. I have around 20 Switch games and probably 50 PS4 games not counting PS+ games.

I guess I'm disappointed in Xbox, but that might just mean I fall outside it's target auduence.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
The answer has to be yes. I've owned every gen of Xbox, many last gen.

The OG had an identity, cool exclusives and power to be a PC like box.
360 had a great OS, great 3rd party support and some good exclusives. The last part of the gen with Kinect was bad though.

The XB1 started with a thud. All about TV, Kinect and a high price for 900p. Exclusives have been bad to average and are getting worse. Releasing a $500 variant does not make up for the ecosystem.

BC - Nice feature, but most of us have no strong will to replay old games. I bought Crackdown and RDR, but can't make myself stop playing new games to play games I have already played.

I enjoyed FM6 and FH3, I don't need more if they are not substantially different. FM7 was nothing new, more bad AI and minimal graphics upgrades. Gears has ran dry and has Halo years ago. Time to let the devs reinvent themselves. Do like what Rare did, something new, but make a complete game.

So I turn my XB1 on every month or so to grab my free games and then put it back to sleep. I've bought a few of the exclusives (DR3, SO, GoW4) but beside Gears I can't make it through a few hours. MS is going for this service stuff, but I don't need access to 100 games that I don't want to play. I tried it for a month and spent some time with Halo 5, but nothing on that list makes me want to keep paying. EA access is even worse.

So this gen is done for MS, despite what some others are saying. They will ride it out and maybe try to get Sony to make a mistake. Maybe the XBX was their way of feigning the power game and making Sony overreach on the PS5.

The best part about next gen is the AMD x86 architecture (APU+GDDR) will be repeated and BC will be nearly free. Both consoles will play XB1 and PS4 games.

Last edited:
Well yeah, obviously. Among some smaller reasons there are two big reasons for that.

1) Are certain trajectories on the game development side that make game creation costs explode, makes the market consolidate, less studios, less publishers, less IPs etc. In other words: video games have become so costly to develop and require such expertise that publishers and studios prefer supporting less platforms, preferably one. Console launches and customer expectation management in the social media and streaming age play a role here, too.

2) A certain minimum of success for a platform can always be "bought", can always be "created" with a massive marketing push during launch (which Microsoft did of course). There will always be room for more than one platform, for example in terms of "tone" of the titles released (think the XB360 being the platform of brown shooters, whereas Resistance wouldn't deliver their numbers on PS3). But once a certain brand is established, other concerns take over. Brand loyalty, economies of scale, lock-in effects, side promotions etc. With the massive sales numbers of the PS2 Sony had these factor going for them. Microsoft strength however during the XB and 360 era was more about Sony's one weakness: ease of development. During that time (PS3/3 era) Microsoft did make an effort to communicate their superior development platform to developers and struck a cord.

Enter the PS4 era and now 1) remains an argument (and has arguably become even stronger) whereas 2) is less revelant because Sony made their hardware setup less "exotic", improved developer relations, made less mistakes during the generation's launch etc. With a more standardized hardware setup, better third party engines etc the developers perspective explained above becomes less relevant. With regards to 1) consider how many studios exist in the west that can actually deliver a AAA game on a "next generation" quality level (i.e. God of War 4, Anthem) and how many publishers exist that could finance them. Not too many. And they would rather live in a one-platform world: it makes a lot of sense to keep God of War 4 on the PlayStation, but it makes no sense to keep Quantum Break exclusive to the XBox One. Right now, PS4 vs XBOne is what, 3:1? That's barely relevant enough as a publishing platform now and Microsoft and the publishers know that thanks to 1) this trajectory will only continue and therefore a PS5 would dominate even more (unless Sony botches it's launch).

Some people will tell you that the failures of titles like Scalebound, Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves or Quantum Break have contributed to this trend, but I would argue that these play a minor role compared to these "institutional" factors I explained. My thinking in this regard is that a success of these titles would only speak to existing XBox fans, but would not grow it's audience.

That is why (among other things) I doubt that Microsoft will stay in the console business much longer. If they do, it will be in a different way with a different business model. Somewhere during the last two years, with multiple exclusives failing at various stages of development, Microsoft had reached a point of no return where the investment of supplementing the development/marketing costs of exclusives and/or the marketing costs of establishing a new console generation (maybe even under a different brand name) would be so high that they would never earn it back.

Or is this really the most disappointing gen on record?

The Shepard

This is the first generation I've not even thought about buying an xbox, there first party line up is dreadful and not for me atm. I absolutely loved my original xbox and 360, some of my fave game memories were on these consoles. I always thought Microsoft should have brought bioware when they had a good relationship. Also I loved project Gotham, my fave ever racer, and they just threw it away in the trash. I buy a console for its exclusives first and the one has never Intrested me, its a shame because I'd love to buy an X.

KevinKeene

Banned
To those complaining about this topic as trolling: I think it's fair to call this the most disappointing gen for Xbox. Similarily, Wii U was Nintendo's most disappointing gen, and PS3 would be Sony's. Also, even if this gen is the worst relatively, it doesn't mean it has to be bad for you. :)

thelastword

Banned
Well, I would agree that the original Xbox One at launch was the most disappointing Xbox. But I think the fantastic X1X has breathed new life into the Xbox brand. It's the best and most technically impressive console I have ever owned, period. Not just from great specs, but the small form factor (despite an internal power brick), the state of the art cooling system, the relative silence of it, etc. And I get to play a huge catalogue of Xbox games from 360 and now, increasingly, OG Xbox. Add the unparalleled value of Game Pass to this and in my mind MS is crushing it. I think Phil is absolutely leading the brand in the right direction.
XBONEX has not breathed new life into the XBOX brand. The generation is over, XBONEX does not offer any exclusives the xbox vanilla does not. Sales of XBONEX are not close to breathing new life into the brand, no way that is going to happen at this price-point, this late in the generation. A higher resolution at the same 30fps with the same lack of exclusives, where the few that exists also happen to be on PC is not exactly breathing new life.

It's not like they have been at it for so long, and I personally don't have a lot of experience with the OG Xbox aside from the fact that no one in my country gave a shit about it (most stores didn't even sell it).

But I don't find the Xb1 to be particularly disappointing. To me it's just following the trend that MS started during the second half of last gen. For the first 3-4 years I loved my 360 and IMO it was doing everything right, it was cheaper, performed better in most multiplatform games, had better online services (paid though), had amazing exclusives for everyone from Shooters (Gears, Halo), Racing (Forza, PGR3), RPG's (Lost Odyssey, tales of vesperia, Mass Effect, etc), action adventure (Ninja Gaiden 2, Alan Wake), etc.

And then, IMO, they just sort of dropped the ball. They stopped investing in more risky games to just focus on their big sellers (Gears, Halo, Forza), they started pushing Kinect like crazy and their E3's went from cool announcements to kids playing Kinect, more Halo and Gears and just third party stuff. And that's pretty much where they are this gen (aside from Kinect): A big focus on third party games with arguably the best console to play them on and a bunch of uninteresting exclusives
They've been at it 3 generations now, that's not too far off from Sony. 360 had a headstart over PS3, was cheaper and produced nice visuals on multiplat games over Sony's PS3. However, in the end Sony still eclipsed them in sales. One could argue that lots of the Xbox 360 sales was due to RROD, there were people who went through 6-8 360's last gen. So perhaps it was a bit overzealous of some folk to think MS would just continue their success from the 360. MS were lucky to have launched before Sony and it became worse for Sony when they came a year later with a worse GPU and deal from Nvidia, where they had to go back on their plan of having a second cell chip for graphics. A lot went wrong with PS3 in terms of an astronomous R&D budget, an expensive launch price due to full BC (basically a PS2 in every PS3), which was a mistake, where that money and silicon space should have been used for an even better GPU than 360. In the end, they clawed their way back because of why they're winning now, they pushed many great exclusives and unique games on the PS3, and they're doing the same this gen. BC has never won a gen and it won't ever do so.

Better than 360 generation...no. Better than OG Xbox gen...probably. Say what you will about the Xbox One launch or lack of exclusives but I think between backwards compatibility and launching Xbox One X they have turned this gen around. Backwards compatibility adds a lot of value imo.
BC is just being spouted by a roaring few. Are you telling me the entire XBONEX installbase are playing Red Dead and NG Black right now? If you buy a $500.00 console in 2018 and it's biggest feature is to play 10-18 year old games, then I think something is wrong. Moreover, PC has been doing that for eons and we like to give these guys a good ribbing when they say it, but they can change their GPU every now and then and play all their old titles at 4k and 8k or even 16k downsampled......(at least at 60fps there). If playing old games with a rez boost and better AF at 30fps and lower is such a turn around, then perhaps we should all abandon consoles and all buy a PC, they've been doing that very feature better there for ages.....However I digress, in actuality, people buy a new piece of kit to see new spanking graphics and to get experiences they didn't have before, that's the main pull and it will always will be that way.

I think it's been the most disappointing console generation overall, not just Xbox. Just an endless succession of the same games from last gen with better graphics. There have been no real innovations or birth of exciting new genres. Hardware was underwhelming from the get go on both platforms so there's been no real advances for stuff like physics and AI. Just meh.

MS in particular really goofed up though and Mattrick, Whitten and Mehdi lost their minds. They thought they had made a breakthrough entertainment product and every home in America would own one, plus half the rest of the world. It of course was a disaster and Phil Spencer inherited a real mess to take care of.
Granted, the PS3 had Folklore, Journey, Flow and LBP which really pushed their respective genres forward, but this gen has lots of quality exclusives especially on the playstation and there were some interesting titles like the tomorrow children and No Man Skies. The biggest one is still yet to come in "Dreams", but we did get TLG and Gravity Rush 2 with unique gameplay from prior gens, where these type of games are rare as it is.

xbox one has only had 2 major successes this gen

Titanfall and Cuphead
Yet, they're both on PC and neither is a sales juggernaut or well reviewed like say a Journey or LBP last gen.....

List of PS4 Failures:

No 4K bluray
No Game Pass
No EA All Access
Anti-crossplay
Inferior controller

BC is not a priority, PS3 had full BC for two gens prior and they should have focused on putting a better GPU in instead, it caused delays et al, not worth it. BC is only worth it when it's a no brainer. PS4-PS5 will be easy BC and won't encroach on what the PS5 could be.

Nobody cares about 4k bluray, everybody watches Netflix, Amazon, Hulu. Hell, more people are subscribed to Sony's Vue as opposed to 4k bluray making any dent. It's there as an alternative, but it's not leading the charge in movie delivery in 2018 and won't beyond that. MS is not leading the charge in media from an informed perspective. Don't you think a hardware/movie company like sony would put 4k bluray in if it helped their games or was important for the console? DVD made sense on PS2, Bluray made sense on PS3, on PS4 4KBD was not necessary because everything is shifting to digital and internet services at the minute. 4K BD does nothing for Sony's games and is not necessary also. Eh! God of War is around 40GB's....

EA access??? You know the games that fall the quickest in price is an EA game, BattleField, Battlefront, Fifa, Madden, Golf.....You can get these games for cheap very quickly, why should you pay a yearly service when you can buy these games in what is already a limited set of genres for $5-10 and tie it to your account permanently instead? Besides, you buy Fifa 2017, 2018 now, in a few it's old news anyway, people move on, unto next year..... I don't think EA access is as enticing as you purport it to be.

Crossplay is only important to the guy in last place. If crossplay is so important, XBOX does not need SONY, they can go that route with Nintendo and PC full fledge ahead and teach Sony a lesson. Why don't they?

The rest of your list is a joke, since I think you're being humorous. My sarcasm meter may be broken........, though it has not been for a good minute, even millenia. Still....Inferior controller. Ha!

One question though Hip Hop, how is that superior controller, Ea access, crossplay, great exclusives and sales juggernauts like Recore, Sea of thieves, Super lucky tales, Ryse, Quantum Break, Sunset overdrive et al pushing XBOX sales and mindshare at the minute? ;) That's rhetorical btw, but as I said, the last couple of points were clearly (chuckle material), so I'll leave it there.....Carry on then...

Last edited:

nowhat

I also never cared for most FPS games (outside of stuff like Bioshock, Prey, etc) and I don't do racers. That left me with very little.
I think this is a very valid point (and I'm in the same camp). MS has three major franchises: Halo, Gears and Forza. Any new release in those will surely stir interest, but a) they have an established fanbase, who can be very picky (dedicated fans can be a liability too, they can be very intolerant towards even the tiniest of issues) and b) for those of us that don't care about said franchises, it's just a shrug.

MS really needs some new IPs to make the purchase worthwhile. Sure, One X can (provided the developer is competent at all) run multiplats with the best performance. Is it enough of a difference to make me get a One X and rebuy the titles I already own, not really. I could see myself getting a One S at some point, mostly due to my 360 backlog/games I'd like to revisit, but BC in itself is not enough of a justification. I want something not available elsewhere*) that's not Halo, Gears or Forza. Some of the indies (Ori, Cuphead) seem great, but still not enough to win me over. A triple-A game that's predominantly single-player (and also good), that's all that it'd take really.

*) I know about the Xbox titles being on PC too. As a programmer, I work with computers constantly. When I get home, I really don't want any of it. So no gaming PC for me anymore.

Yes, even the little things like the new show Inside Xbox I find a dull watch. It's not the same brand for me. There are positives such as One S/X compared to launch Xbox One and backwards compatibility , as for the rest , it's easily the worst Xbox generation IMHO.

Four years and approaching five into a consoles life, consumers shouldn't have to be questioning their first party output/strategy like what is happening these days but they are.

What really brought it home to me was E3 17, "wait till E3" "wait E3" that is still happening approaching this years! The biggest cheer E3 17 got was OG Xbox backwards compatibility, said everything to me.

Last edited:

xviper

not only it's the worst Xbox, it may also be the last Xbox

i don't understand what went wrong, the beginning of Xbox one was great and it crushed the ps4 library, i don't give a shit about the sales, in 2013\14\15, the xbox one had a much better library than PS4, then in 2016 everything changed

they shouldn't have released Xbox exclusives to PC, that was BIG FUCKING MISTAKE, look at God of war 4, now with it's very high scores, a lot of people are thinking of purchasing a ps4 for the game, it gives the ps4 a meaning, now imagine if Halo 6 came out on both PC and Xbox, and it turned out to be amazing, you still won't see people wanting to get an Xbox one, they don't give a shit about it, it's like it doesn't even exist

to fix this fuck up, the next Xbox (if there is gonna be one) they better go back and make all their first party games exclusive to Xbox, and they must allow their studios to try and make new Ips and stop fucking cancelling every game they don't like

Anyone have xbox stats for all three gens?

Id also like to know how its fairing to other consoles like gamecube and ps3 at this stage of its life...

Anyone have xbox stats for all three gens?

Id also like to know how its fairing to other consoles like gamecube and ps3 at this stage of its life...
When you say stats, do you mean games or console sales? If by sales it did better than OG XBOX and Gamecube, PS2 over dominated that gen, even lifetime XBOX and Gamecube was just around 25 and 22 million (pretty common information you can find with quick google searching), and X1 appeared to be around 26 million at the beginning of last year.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-sales-reach-26-million-report/1100-6447023/

PS3 was at 30 million by beginning of 2010 when it launched at the end of 2006.
https://www.engadget.com/2010/02/05/ps3-worldwide-sales-cross-30-million/

360 was at 30 million in mid 2009, a little over 3 and a half years.
https://techcrunch.com/2009/05/28/xbox-360-sales-top-30-million-with-20-million-live-subscribers/

When it comes to games, I too would like to see on how many games were released on the whole per platform and game sales comparisons, however if we're just looking at critical acclaim XBOX did much better in game quality, Gamecube doesn't look to be, except in exclusives, then Gamecube is ahead. I just base this on quick look at gamerankings.

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=xboxone&cat=0&year=0&numrev=4&sort=0&letter=&search=

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=xbox&cat=0&year=0&numrev=4&sort=0&letter=&search=

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=gamecube&cat=0&year=0&numrev=4&sort=0&letter=&search=

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
List of PS4 Failures:

No 4K bluray
No Game Pass
No EA All Access
Anti-crossplay
Inferior controller

Man the salt in your post is hilarious :D

Scrambling to list stuff as "failures" when they aren't just to damage control. Lel.

Last edited:
Nope did you forget about the original Xbox? Flopped hard. Xbox is a robust platform now and you can play old games you bought at their best by dropping $500. Yeah Sony whooped MS as people predicted before this generation began, but it's still a great time to own a Xbox.

Nope did you forget about the original Xbox? Flopped hard. Xbox is a robust platform now and you can play old games you bought at their best by dropping $500. Yeah Sony whooped MS as people predicted before this generation began, but it's still a great time to own a Xbox.
What does the console itself flopping, by MS sales expectations (not like X1 is where they want either), have to do with whether the console itself was disappointing? It had a lot of games, a lot of well received games, and the hardware was the best of the 6th gen consoles. Everyone I knew that owned a XBOX was happy with it.

Last edited:

Codes 208

It'd be pretty hard for a new console in the fray to be considered disappointing when it hadnt proven itself as a brand yet. And that aside, OG xbox has had plenty of worthwhile gems like Crimson Skies, Halo CE and 2, Star Wars: KotoR, Conker's Bad fur day, JSR:F, PGR, jade empire,splinter cell chaos theory and fable.

Xbox with halo is what got me into the brand and kept me there throughout the 360 gen. The one is what alienated me at the beginning and why I currently play mostly nintendo, pc and ps4

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
In terms of first party exclusives, yes it’s the weakest.

But MS has made up significant ground in terms of BC and the X1X.

But Sony is killing it in terms of exclusives.

MS really needs to step it up here cuz Sea of Thieves ain’t gonna cut it.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
It has been a pretty big letdown IMO. I was excited to finally try Halo 5 and Gears 4 recently, and I found both to be quite mediocre. I don't know how I pushed myself to beat the Gears campaign. It was an absolute chore and I have such a long list of complaints about that game.

MS just takes no risks, and the new things they safely tried are just not good. Meanwhile, you have Nintendo releasing some crazy handheld/console hybrid with a Mario XCOM game and Sony paving the way for mainstream VR while also putting out massive single player successes. What can you really point at the Xbox for doing? It really does nothing to stand out in any way.

TLZ

Banned
You know, I'm still finding OG Xbox games to buy to this day.

This is a tough question. Personally, I have never enjoyed a console more than I have with the Xbox One. It's allowed me to play more games thanks to the remote play functionality (I have kids), and overall the experiance of playing games and consuming media is better than the 360 ever was. Remember when things like Netflix was behind a Gold paywall? Or you could only add proprietary harddrives that cost a lot to the console? The company has made great strides to improve the console and I adore it.

I have also really loved the exclusives, but like everyone else, especially this year in particular, there have been sooooo few exclusives. They started this gen with some really great new titles that I think all deserve a sequel. I really loved Ryse. I played the hell out of Sunset Overdrive. I love the backwards comparability.

So I think overall I really appreciate this generation. It made MS a more docile game company. The failures made the system stronger so I can't hate it. I just want more games. Xbox will always be my go to console.

Yeah, I think so. The OG Xbox and 360 were fucking fire with huge game libraries. One is decent, but nothing special. It doesn't even have exclusives anymore since all One games nowadays are also on PC.

bitbydeath

OG Xbox brought the best Halo,
In terms of first party exclusives, yes it’s the weakest.

But MS has made up significant ground in terms of BC and the X1X.

Well if you’re not going to listen to Don and buy a 360 they’ll bring the 360 to you!

images

Was it really a flop though? It went against the unstoppable PS2 juggernaut. Any console seems like a failure in comparison. OG Xbox did similar numbers to the GameCube and sold twice as much as the Dreamcast. Even the super popular GBA lagged far behind PS2 sales.

Codes 208

Yeah, I think so. The OG Xbox and 360 were fucking fire with huge game libraries. One is decent, but nothing special. It doesn't even have exclusives anymore since all One games nowadays are also on PC.
This has been brought up before plenty of times, but in xbox defenses, the games you play on pc are still via xbox with just a small exception of some on steam like Ori, QB and cuphead.

I think it is but honestly to me atleast it isnt as bad as some people make it out to be.

-Halo 5 has one of the best mp's not only of the series but this gen.

-Killer Instinct which was a launch title is still one of my favourite fighting games this gen, probably only behind Injustice 2 for me due to the amazing story mode.

-Diving into new IP small and large (Cuphead, Sea of Thieves, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive etc)

-The indie support these last couple of years has been great, games like The Last Night look amazing.

-Hardware outside of the eh launch console has been unbelievable.

-Online services continue to impress with additions like XPA and GamePass

-Backwards Compatibility has been NUTS. OG and 360 games in 4K?!

-Forza Horizon series has come into its own and so far each game has been ace

-Rare no longer stuck with Kinect. This by itself is nice.

-Although made to be a safe entry Gears of War 4 was a very solid game and leaves lots of potential on where the story can go in 5/spin offs.

Have they had disappointing moments? Yep, although I was onboard with the XO since day one because I love the ecosystem and MS games it was disappointing what they came out with out of the gate, mismanagement has lost us Phantom Dust, Scalebound, Fable Legends/Lionhead (which I still think they should have released it).

Things kinda look like they are getting better the last 2ish years studios have been hiring non stop. I assume instead of making a brand new studio they are trying to increase the current ones to allow for more than one team at each that can produce AAA content.
This goes along with Fable and Perfect Dark games being rumored to have started development (at least fable) around the time Phil Spencer got his new position at MS. Now with rumors of Gears of War and Halo spin offs in the works too it seems like they are starting to finally really go into it but only time will tell.

Dont expect to get "cinematic" games like Uncharted and God of War tho, to my knowledge 343 and The Coalition are the only studios that have access to mocap so unless we hear they are adding them or that studios are going somewhere to "rent" one somehow dont expect that.

This has been brought up before plenty of times, but in xbox defenses, the games you play on pc are still via xbox
That argument has always been dumb to me...You probably werent going to buy the hardware so they sell you the software (where the real money is made) and that turns into people saying they arent into xbox or whatever as I see them open the Xbox app to go back and play Gears.

Xbox is PC and Console at this point, you can just access what they offer in more ways than one now. Which I guess is bad because...reasons.

TYRiAX

The Xbox ONE is the first generation of xbox I haven't felt the need to buy yet so I guess that answers the question for me

Top Bottom