• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Ubisoft's new AAA IP that online focused Pirate game? Or maybe open world FPS?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So I was pondering how Ubisoft managed to not have a new IP leak due to our annual "Where are all the E3 leaks!?!" threads, and went back to page through the Ubisoft new IP thread again to see if a random GAF poster had unveiled what it was.

While Evolved1 didn't seem to know what it was, they did bring up an excellent point:

Now that you guys mention it... it would be about time for the pirate game to surface.
Yes. Full-on pirate without AC baggage.

It's been a while, but I swear there were legitimate rumblings of this, after the strong positive reception of BF's pirate theme.

I couldn't remember what they were talking about, so I started googling and saw the following IGN article from 2013: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/06/ubisoft-surveying-fans-on-assassins-creed-5-pvp-naval-combat

IGN said:
The questions also present the possibility that Ubisoft is considering a new, pirate-centric series separate from what it accomplished in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

"In such a game," a follow-up question says of a non-Assassin's Creed-branded pirate game, "what would be the most important elements among these below?" Choices include a customizable pirate character, ship, and hideout, a deeper economy, and additional activities at sea or on land. More interestingly, it inquires about player interest in cooperative and multiplayer naval combat, asking survey subjects if they would like to "sail and fight with my friends" and "sail and fight with other players."

They were also hiring for some kind of new online, open world FPS game that might have been a new IP:

Kotaku said:
Also of note: A Rainbow 6 technical designer says on their CV that they moved to an unannounced Ubisoft Montreal next-gen title in January described as a "online multiplayer open world FPS game focus on social activity and replayability," and last year, a Rainbow 6 designer moved onto "an unnanounced [sic] Ubi shooter" with "item strategy and character progression / RPG mechanics."
Source: http://kotaku.com/the-bizarre-situation-behind-rainbow-6-patriots-1481102723

Any thoughts? Pirate game? Open world FPS game? Both seem to fit Ubisoft's conference call description well.

Can you remember any other old Ubisoft rumors?

I put the pirate one in the title first since that one was explicitly mentioned as a new IP and in theory the FPS could be one of their existing series like Far Cry or... uh... Red Steel.

They already had a great foundation with assassins creed 4. Tweak that engine , and make it something ither then a 3rd person game and it could be fantastic .

Philippo

Yes please, Uncharted 4 really made me crave for another pirate themed game.

I can totally see an "online, build your crew or join other players, drive your own ship open world" game.

FelipeMGM

Prob. After ACIV I was sure they would take the pirate elements from that and start a new franchise. Especially since then, no AC game had that element anymore

ran93r

I loved Black Flag and if I ever want to scratch an Ubi Pirate itch, I will go and load up my Black Flag save. I really don't know how much more they could add to it whilst at the same time remove everything Assassiny about it.

I will just pin my hopes on Sea of Thieves at this point, quietly hyped.

Eolz

How about the FPS?

Should still be happening, don't think it'll be a new IP but they can probably twist it enough for that. Not really a secret, I think it was leaked at some point before going in another direction.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Should still be happening, don't think it'll be a new IP but they can probably twist it enough for that. Not really a secret, I think it was leaked at some point before going in another direction.

Oh yeah, they were making that... robot thing.

Given Ubisoft doesn't seem to like hard sci-fi (or fantasy) in their AAA games, I can see why they went in another direction.

Gorilla Nation or whatever.

I don't know how I'd feel about a game like the Division, but with Pirates.

I love Pirates, but I don't know if I want it to be online only.

Basically I just want ACIV but bigger and better. More ship variety, more wildlife. More ocean.

I'm always excited about pirate stuff but I really need there to be an offline component if they want me to buy in at full price.

Simo

Oh I hope so now! lol An online Pirate title like what's quoted in the OP sounds right up my alley!

I'm keeping an eye on Sea of Thieves and I don't even own an Xbox One. lol

Bizzquik

I want a narrative-focused, choice-driven, AC-free Black Flag.

Let me be a good pirate or an evil pirate. Let me choose my appearance, give me a skill tree, and let me decide the fate of those with whom I come into contact. I full-fledged Western RPG.

I wouldn't be averse to a multiplayer component if it was handled in the same manner as Watch_Dogs. A multiplayer component that lends itself story-wise to the single player component; my game occasionally populated by other players (pirates) in specific situations that are completely optional.

Damn, OP. Now you've gone and made me happy about a game that doesn't even exist....

klier

I probably like the tropical settings from AC4 and Uncharted 4 the most out of any setting.

An AAA pirate game set in the Caribbean would be a dream. With customizable ships, islands to explore, towns, secrets and treasures......

Let me be a good pirate or an evil pirate. Let me choose my appearance, give me a skill tree, and let me decide the fate of those with whom I come into contact. I full-fledged Western RPG.

I wouldn't be averse to a multiplayer component if it was handled in the same manner as Watch_Dogs. A multiplayer component that lends itself story-wise to the single player component; my game occasionally populated by other players (pirates) in specific situations that are completely optional.

Damn, OP. Now you've gone and made me happy about a game that doesn't even exist....

I'm on the same boat!

Would absolutely love it.

Though I'm not liking one bit the sound of those projects. "Online multiplayer open world FPS game focus on social activity and replayability" and "an unnanounced [sic] Ubi shooter" doesn't sound good to me.

I wouldn't want it to be a FPS, nor would I want it to be described as a shooter. If it was a pirate game done by Ubi, I would think they wouldn't be described as such either.

Elfstruck

I probably like the tropical settings from AC4 and Uncharted 4 the most out of any setting.

An AAA pirate game set in the Caribbean would be a dream. With customizable ships, islands to explore, towns, secrets and treasures......

That would be a dream comes true. I wonder why devs don't make game with this setting.

Euron

On one hand, fuck online only...

...but on the other hand, the pirate stuff in Black Flag was the best thing Ubisoft has done in a long time. The only thing holding it back was the Assassin's Creed part. I actually trust them with a pirate game.

And now you've gone into detail about a game is love to play that doesn't exist.....

Auctopus

Not knocking him, just out of interest, what's the gist of his insider source?

I feel like insiders on GAF are crawling out of the woodwork as of late.

nynt9

I think for a game like this to work it has to be online only. Black Flag naval combat got full and repetitive after a while because you figured out how to cheese the AI. Human behavior will change that up. Give me economy, trading, players who can be pirates or pirate hunters or merchants, open world bosses like the legendary ships in BF, ability to build forts with your resources etc. The naval combat of sea of thieves doesn't look interesting to me but I loved the systems of black flag and rogue so this can be cool.

Zukkoyaki

Jason from Kotaku teased it would be at E3 last year and seemed surprised when it wasn't announced. It's almost certainly getting shown next month.

As for the game itself, if it has a single-player component, I'm in.

Xando

Open world splinter cell would be interesting but i guess that wouldn't fit either pirate game or fps(?).

Zeta Oni

Oh yeah, they were making that... robot thing.

Given Ubisoft doesn't seem to like hard sci-fi (or fantasy) in their AAA games, I can see why they went in another direction.

Gorilla Nation or whatever.

*looks at date of posts*

So what are the chances this is Far Cry 5 then?

Top Bottom