• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Walking Dead pc saves still broke?

Raw64life

Guess I'm not the only one with this problem. Just downloaded this yesterday on Steam. Played through Episode 1. Saved
Carley
. Immediately started Episode 2 following the credits and
Doug is there
, which I'm assuming means my save wasn't carried over. Don't really have much of a desire to play through it all over again.

If you rewind to the last chapter of Episode 1 you might be able to get your save working again.

That was one of the problems I kept running into and that fixed it most times.

Rubius

I just now realized I don't have a single achievement in the game on Steam despite completely finishing the first episode a bit ago. I'm going to assume that's not normal since a few of the achievements look to be just story progression related.

Going to start episode 2 in a bit, hope I don't run into the save bug.

You are suppose to get 4 achievement by episode. You cannot not have all the achievement by the end.

GOD. FUCKING. DAMMIT.

Just ran into a similar bug on iOS. I had to exit during the cutscene at the beginning of 2-5; when I reloaded, it not only displayed my last save as having occurred doing 2-3, but it also no longer detected Episode 2 as having been downloaded.

I played through the whole game with
Kenny thinking that I didn't defend duck in the pharmacy. Even though I totally did and it even reflects in my choices
. So yeah, its still busted for me.

Yeah, I'm on episode 2 and I was confused why Kenny was saying I didn't stick up for duck so I decided to check this thread. Fuck...

Well, I tried.

B05CE03D-54C2-464A-A68F-5CB8139B8E8E-7800-0000072F53AED31A.jpg

This is not Game Of The Year material. Fuck this game.

I don't think anyone that takes photos of their windows desktop is fit to judge anything.

Eusis

Well, I tried.

B05CE03D-54C2-464A-A68F-5CB8139B8E8E-7800-0000072F53AED31A.jpg

This is not Game Of The Year material. Fuck this game.
This is why I'll defend it as best story of the year for such awards, but not best game. Screw the interactivity or "gamey" arguments, how about something that reliably works as intended across all or at least MOST platforms and formats? Without workarounds that should be really fucking easy on their part to fix, or so I'd hope given one of them is down to a duplicate file in the game's data directory overruling the one in the correct save directory.

I still think it's fascinating it's winning as many GotY awards as it has, but it's not something I could in good conscience nominate myself as THE best.

Orayn

TWD is now only loading up a single cloud save from several weeks ago after reinstalling and disabling Steam Cloud...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I finally got the game to work in Windows 8 (had to keep my 360 controller unplugged and play with keyboard/mouse) and played through the entire game without turning off my computer or exiting the game to ensure I didn't get hit by the save game bug again.

If it's any consolation to you guys who also encountered the save game bug, your decisions don't matter at all in the game. It's all a big illusion. I think you can actually save only
one character from dying
by the end of the game. Only minor things change as a result of your decisions, and otherwise it's extremely linear.

It's either a case of 2012 being a terrible year for games or "hipster journalists" that this mess was even considered for Game of the Year (much less actually win the award) from so many outlets. Not only is it a very poor adventure game, but it's a technical travesty. Pure amateur hour when it comes to how much shit is broken surrounding this game. The only redeeming qualities are its writing, dialogue, characters, and voice acting. Those are all very good, sure, but it's certainly not enough to win Game of the Year in my book.

Xyber

I finally got the game to work in Windows 8 (had to keep my 360 controller unplugged and play with keyboard/mouse) and played through the entire game without turning off my computer or exiting the game to ensure I didn't get hit by the save game bug again.

This is because of a dinput8.dll file in Windows 8. I had to download one that was from one of the previews for Win 7 and place in the game directory for the game to start up and work fine with a controller.

This is not just an issue with TWD on Win 8, I've had it happen in 2 other games too.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Yeah I think having my controller enabled when starting up the game deleted my save data. So pissed. Guess I'll replay the first episode real fast.

rakhir

God dammit...

I've completed episode 2 yesterday, game sees my save file, i have only one prefs, so all is good? Not really, I've tried to start episode 3 and it asks me if i want to 'generate choices for skipped episodes'.
What the hell, game? On the previous screens i you show me all my choices from the first episodes, why are you ignoring it?

Anyone knows how to fix this?

yeah, reached up to ep 3 and my saves werent recognized. a save generator would be pretty neat, but i've googling for a while now and haven't come up with anything. ;(

Spent ages last night trying to get save from 4 to work in 5 and gave up. Played it anyway, some of the stuff was the same as my choices and it was still enjoyable enough. I will check out their future games but I won't buy any until heavy discounting is applied.

phants

Aaand it's just happened to me, too. TT games should come with some sort of "barely beta" disclaimer imo.

angryface.gif

co1onel

Wow, this problem just happened to me. None of the methods that people posted even work, as there are no pref.prop files to be found in the steamapps folder.

This is just unacceptable at this point, and there's definitely no way I will ever purchase another telltales game because of the way they have treated this problem. How long has it been now with no fix? Over a year.

I played through on my iPhone, but I reached a point in Episode 3 where the object I needed to interact with didn't have a 'tap' icon and couldn't tap it/progress.

I then replayed that chapter to see if it fixed it, no.
I then replayed from the start of the episode to see if it fixed it, no.
I then played the game from the start, no.
I then reinstalled it and played the game through again but another game breaking bug occurred, this time near the end of Episode 2.

Even though I loved the story and the characters, I just had to quit. It was too much.

All of the above happened many months ago, but yesterday I saw this for 75% off on Steam and thought I should try playing the PC version... maybe with a different version, I might have more luck?

Well, as I'm sure you can probably imagine, I've already lost my save file.

6 attempts to finish the game and 6 failures. Telltale won't be seeing a single penny of mine ever again. Fuck them.

and they still got developers of the year..one of ther worst support i have seen from a games company

its anyone of the gaming press aware of this?

Jonm1010

Banned
The fact this bug still persists is utterly and infuriatingly ridiculous.

I'd bet at least a 1000 posts total exist complaining about the broken ps3 version of skyrim but in comparison, despite that utter bullshit, telltale utterly takes the crown.

I honestly will never buy another one of their products and will actively spam every future OT of their games warning about their past doings. I may get banned or not but this shit is utterly reprehensible and some of the worst customer support I have ever seen in all my years of gaming. Shameful, fucking shameful!

The creators of candy crush have more integrity then these pieces of shit!

ElyrionX

Speaking of this, I've read so much about it but I tried playing it and it feels so draggy and boring. It's an endless search for clues and random clicking to find shit that the game allows you to interact with. Feels very arbitrary and artificial.

Vitor711

Yes and it is a real shame that they haven't done anything about this since launch. It took me 5 times to get my save to start episode 5. Luckily I was burned the first episode and ever since have made multiple backups.

I made multiple backups too and it still refused to read my save. Had issues getting it into Episode 4, then once I finally did, I beat that in one sitting only to discover after the fact that for some reason the game had refused to autosave.

I went into Episode 5 with the 'default' choices because the game wouldn't read my original saves. It changed a bunch of dialogue which almost broke the final episode for me.

The fact that they still haven't fixed this is complete BS. If they don't release a save editor before Season 2, I'll be somewhat pissed.

co1onel

I'd bet at least a 1000 posts total exist complaining about the broken ps3 version of skyrim but in comparison, despite that utter bullshit, telltale utterly takes the crown.

I honestly will never buy another one of their products and will actively spam every future OT of their games warning about their past doings. I may get banned or not but this shit is utterly reprehensible and some of the worst customer support I have ever seen in all my years of gaming. Shameful, fucking shameful!

The terrible thing is I completely agree with this post. I will never buy another telltale product, and I highly encourage that others do the same unless they want the same miserable experience I had.

Its even more frustrating, because I really enjoyed the story and the characters of what I got to play, but I simply cannot take anymore of this nonsense.

picked this up on vita because... i was drunk.

god damn is that port awful. apparently the console versions suck too? idk. Shit stutters and pauses randomly like a badly scratched psx game.

Wow, this problem just happened to me. None of the methods that people posted even work, as there are no pref.prop files to be found in the steamapps folder.
The pref.prop file isn't in Steamapps, its in the My Documents/Telltale Games/Walking Dead area where all your saves are located. They centrally locate all of their save stuff regardless of what service you got them from, kinda like Bioware does.

Hope this helps!

UrbanRats

Yeah, just to reiterate, i didn't buy this game (i was actually ready to buy it at full price, no less) and will not buy any other Telltale game in the future, because of their absolute disregard for this bug.
Terrible attitude.

Atruvius

picked this up on vita because... i was drunk.

god damn is that port awful. apparently the console versions suck too? idk. Shit stutters and pauses randomly like a badly scratched psx game.

That's how Sam and Max season 3 was on PS3. The stutterings and random pauses were awful. PS3 version of WD had some weird problems as well. Perhaps it's an issue with the engine or something.

Wow. That sucks. I played it on the PC after they released the episodes all together, and I also replayed to add the DLC to it (my husband deleted the original saved game). I never had a problem with anything concerning playing or loading the game. *knock on wood*

eot

Banned

That's a lot of utters.
Joking aside, I partially agree. Not acknowledging it annoys me more than not fixing it.

I love Telltale. I own everything they made up until the Walking Dead. The bugs and issues made it so I had to watch the last episode on Youtube. I would still buy their games but their customer service is so poor, openly hostile, and full of lies that I've decided I won't buy another game until that changes. I can put up with a lot of things from developers I love but Telltale has made it impossible for me.

Dysun

Booted up 400 Days this weekend. "Would you like to generate story choices?" WTF? This shit is still persisting, unbelievable

It's a shame the story is actually good or I'd be fed up. My Season 1 playthrough is now null and void, well done Telltale

Joe Molotov

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. I mean, could they not just output a .txt file of your choices or something? I can't figure out why the save situation is this complex. And this is like Telltale's premiere, GOTY, Studio-of-the-Year award winning title, and they don't even care, wtf? I had to play Episode 5 with randomly generated choices and it really took the wind out of my sails.

Helmholtz

It's really sad hearing about these issues. The save files are about the last thing you want to go wrong in a game like this. Luckily I never experienced these problems with the PC version, but it really sucks that a lot of others have been and that Telltale hasn't done shit.

I have a save on my PC in which I've finished the first episode but when I tried playing on my Mac, the save was absent.

How do I make Steam sync my saves correctly?

Dr.Acula

Banned
I have a save on my PC in which I've finished the first episode but when I tried playing on my Mac, the save was absent.

How do I make Steam sync my saves correctly?

I don't think saves work cross os. My saves in FTL are completely different in mac than on PC.

Benson

Still not fixed, I don't think they've even ever acknowledged it let alone tried to fix it? Because of that, Telltale have lost a sale for season 2. Good job guys! There's no point in playing a game where the USP is your choices carrying over when it doesn't actually work.

Has put me off buying any other Telltale games too; no trust in them whatsoever any more.

Vitor711

My saves got fucked between episodes 4 and 5. It's been a known issue for months and they haven't done anything to fix it.

FYI, this isn't always the case. My saves got fucked over but there was no prefs.prop file in the steamapps folder.

Same issue.

I formatted my HDD before playing episode 4 but made sure to back up my save. It took me hours to actually get the damned thing working though once I reinstalled the game. Once I finally did, I played through all of episode 4 and then jumped into 5 the next day. Only to find out that nothing had saved for some reason.

No other game I had presented a similar problem. I have no idea how they encode their saves but the system is broken.

If they expect me to buy Season 2, they better release a ME-style save editor if choices will carry over.

EDIT: Well, I seem to be repeating myself. Didn't realise I'd already posted something similar months ago.

demolitio

Still not fixed, I don't think they've even ever acknowledged it let alone tried to fix it? Because of that, Telltale have lost a sale for season 2. Good job guys! There's no point in playing a game where the USP is your choices carrying over when it doesn't actually work.

Has put me off buying any other Telltale games too; no trust in them whatsoever any more.

Sad to say I feel the same way which is why The Wolf Among Us is being skipped. It's one thing to redo the chapter if there's a lot of gameplay but it's another thing to have to go through the slow start and all of that again just to get my choices again when there's no telling if they will save anyway. I ended up not finishing the first season because of that and the fact that they never really bothered to address it or at least assure people it won't happen again meant I lost faith in buying their products at launch. Maybe if I hear there's no issues a year after TWD2, I'll bite...

And sure, the choices might not ultimately mean much, but those choices are still the point of the game and to make it feel like you're influencing the game considering you're not doing anything else as the story moves along. Don't get me wrong as I like those types of interactive stories usually, but if your choices don't matter then there's nothing to it but to maybe watch someone else play it and I don't think I could replay a lot of it again considering I remember most of it as it is so it'd just be sitting there trying to rush through something you can't rush through.

A save generator would be a great birthday gift. :(

This issue happened to me and I won't be getting any future games from them unless discounted heavily, this issue ruined the game for me and I'm amazed that the 'gaming press' didn't even bother mentioning this issue

Top Bottom