• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Walking Dead pc saves still broke?

UrbanRats

Yes, it does. I really don't understand why Telltale refuses to address this issue. It's not like people are going to forget about it.

Oh.
I had skipped it on PC, because i thought i was going to get it on ps3, ahah oh wow.
Way to shit on your own (apparently great) game, TellTale.

Dipswitch

Shame really. I've been on verge of grabbing this several times, but these types of problems are a complete show stopper. This will put me off buying this or any future products of theirs.

M*A*S*H

So the problems mostly seem to come from the game not updating both prefs.prop files at the same time (and using two prefs.prop files to begin with). I'm not a programmer, but that shouldn't be that big of a problem...

I wonder if you could fix this by creating a symbolic link between the two locations. That way, there would only be one prefs.prop file and the game would only update one file even though it would think there's still two. In theory, anyway.

Might be worth a try if I decide to risk a purchase. Threads like these inspire little confidence though.

BearPawB

Banned
I did the fix, thought all my decisions were the same. Beat last episode, and there were totally wrong decisions in there. people were alive longer than they should have been.

Ethranes

From what I remember the only issue was between episode 1 and 2, if your losing your save files otherwise you've moved the exe or the save file folder than it's original location so it can't sync up.

UrbanRats

This only affects a small portion of all players. It's still worth playing and hopefully you'll be able to complete it.

People will buy their next game. I mean do you see all the people calling this GOTY?
Eh, fair enough.
It's a bit like Skyrim not working on Ps3, still won a lot of GOTY awards, despite the scam that it was on that platform.

It's not even the bug itself that bothers me, but the fact that they've gone 5 episodes shrugging it off, it's disgusting to me.
At least a "we're working on it, sorry guys!" would've been decent of them.

ArcticBunny

Neo Member
The save problems are the reason I stopped playing the game. It's an amazing game, but after EP 3 the game started crashing on load and it wouldn't load my save games. I'm not going to replay the whole game from the start, and their support for the game and on the forums is horrible, so I haven't been able to play the latest episodes.

This is an actual email I received from their support after failing to get help on their forums:

Hi,\r\n\r\nFirst thing to try is reloading Steam.\r\n\r\nLet me know,\r\nKatrina

Yes, that is how it was formatted, with \r\n's.

Worst customer support I've ever experienced with a games company.

Yeah, the save problems shouldn't be much of a problem anymore since the Season is done and there won't be any major additions.
What does this mean? Is there no problem if you never quit the game (assuming it never crashes) and you finish it in one go?

Sordid

I bought the whole Season from Steam and played episode 1 yesterday afternoon and some of episode 2 last night. I think some of my decisions have been forgotten/changed, multiple times during Ep 1 it said
Kenny will remember your loyalty
and now during Ep 2 he's complaining that I never helped him out :/

I still haven't caught up because of the issue. I got to near the end of episode three but had an issue where every time I had to walk to a train track or something the game would force quit on me. That turned me off the game for a couple days, and when I went back all the saves were gone (despite Steam still showing my percentage done/playtime/etc). I have the first two episodes played on my iPad and they're still fine, so I'm probably just going to marathon through whenever Ep5 comes out for that. Great game but I don't feel like going through all the little, monotonous parts again. Pretty sure I bought the season pass for that too before realizing Steam on Mac had the games too.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I got upto episode 3 yesterday. Loaded the game last night and bam all my saves gone. I have tried everything.. I eventually got the game to recognize my save again but then my choices were not carried over.

I was really enjoying the game but now.. Well fuck it.

Tacitus_

I bought the whole Season from Steam and played episode 1 yesterday afternoon and some of episode 2 last night. I think some of my decisions have been forgotten/changed, multiple times during Ep 1 it said
Kenny will remember your loyalty
and now during Ep 2 he's complaining that I never helped him out :/

Kenny bitches at you unless you're 100% behind him.

JMPerona

Im so tired of this! I played episode 1 and 2 and then my save files dissapeared and I cant play episode 3!! I hate it! I will play it again on ps3, but I dont want to pay again for the game!

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
People will buy their next game. I mean do you see all the people calling this GOTY?

I won't be purchasing their next game. I didn't finish Walking Dead because of the save issue. The issue soured me on the game.

Is this only a problem with the Steam version?

While problems with the Steam version seem to be more frequent no version is free of save glitches, including the console versions. One of the Telltale employees said that they're working on a patch for the Xbox version. Maybe we'll see a patch for the other versions, too...

I can't believe not fixing this isn't a number 1 priority to them. It'd be like an android or iPhone having a bug of randomly deleting your contacts and them doing nothing about it.

I'm guessing you still can't change any of the key bindings on PC either? I got episode 1 and that drove me crazy about it

Retne

I had it eat my save going into Episode 2. I doubt I'll pick the game back up again and I also doubt I'll ever look at a Telltale game again. This game seemed interesting but if they don't plan on supporting their games I don't want much to do with them.

SkyandSun

Banned
Have had similar problems to others in this thread. I'm on a Mac and for weeks couldn't even download episode 2 because the launcher didn't think it existed.

Had similar problems with previous Telltale games as well. They simply don't care about fixing stuff with any urgency. They go for weeks without acknowledging problems.

They really need to be called out on their post-game support. Consistently over the years the impression I get is, once they get your money, they don't give a shit.

I wonder if it has something to do with where you bought it from?

I bought it directly off Telltales web site. Unlike the steam version, there were no automatic updating of episodes. There is a menu option called "downloadable content" right under play. You have to select episodes 2-5 to download. Nothing automatically downloads and there is no way to download more than one. I started playing last week. That's my normal mo for Telltale games. I was past episode 3 when I tried to download episode 5. In game it popped up with "an unknown error has occurred. Restart the application". I restarted not only the game but my computer as well. Was able to download episode 5. I have no saved games. I started replaying the game, had to exit after episode 2. Yesterday, I went back in and .... no saved games. Now it appears the game isn't saving at all. I'm going to try deleting TWD, removing all directories and registry entries related to the game, and re-installing.

I love Telltale, and TWD is their best game yet, but this is really putting me off.

Reikon

I wonder if it has something to do with where you bought it from?

I bought it directly off Telltales web site. Unlike the steam version, there were no automatic updating of episodes. There is a menu option called "downloadable content" right under play. You have to select episodes 2-5 to download. Nothing automatically downloads and there is no way to download more than one. I started playing last week. That's my normal mo for Telltale games. I was past episode 3 when I tried to download episode 5. In game it popped up with "an unknown error has occurred. Restart the application". I restarted not only the game but my computer as well. Was able to download episode 5. I have no saved games. I started replaying the game, had to exit after episode 2. Yesterday, I went back in and .... no saved games. Now it appears the game isn't saving at all. I'm going to try deleting TWD, removing all directories and registry entries related to the game, and re-installing.

I love Telltale, and TWD is their best game yet, but this is really putting me off.

It doesn't seem like it matters where you bought it considering you bought it directly from them and others bought it from Steam and have problems.

Inkwell

Banned
What is the best precaution to take here? If I backup the Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead folder each time after I finish playing should I be fine? If my game crashes and screws up my game files I won't try playing this again. I'm also not sure I will purchase another game from them until I know they are willing to fix this problem. At the most I'll wait for a full season to release, check out the game for potential problems, and then pick up the game during a sale.

I bought the game once Ep 3 was released, and after finishing Ep 1 I got the save bug. Frustrated, I wrote the game off until they patched it.

Of course, when the PS3 gets a save bug they patch that shit in 2 days flat.

I'm not bitter.

JordanKZ

After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 (and the subsequent change of my Windows user account name) I also ran into this problem with my end of Episode 4 save. I ended up just watching episode 5 on Youtube. *sigh*

The_Monk

Update

------------

Just fixed and finished, very happy with it.

What I did was I copied some files that others mentioned, went to game and I still had one very old save file from Episode 2 for some reason (I was on episode 4, near the end).

Clicked on that old save and a message prompt saying I could lose other progress and asked if I wanted to proceed. I said NO. Game went to a Black Screen and got stcuk. Only could move my mouse. Had to restart my PC. Then went back and I had 2 saves files but they were both from the same part (because I clicked copy on one of them to have it in another slot).

Clicked on one of these old saves from Episode 2. Game took a while to load. More than expected, then I choose Episode 4 before hitting Play and another more than normal lenghty load came up. Cut scene starts all choppy and laggy BUT it starts where I was left! Game resumed to normal status, no more problems, completed Episode 4 and started the Episode 5 which I just finished now!

Everything went better than expected.

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU TELLTALE.

After restarting the series and getting halfway through Episode 2 it just did it again. I start the game and it immediately crashes to desktop. Then I start it again and it comes up in windowed mode and all my setting are reset and it doesn't see the saved games.

Same thing happened to me but there is an easy fix to restore.

1. To fix this you'll need a time stamp editor so Google, download and install (here are some timestamp programs; I used the second from the bottom http://code.google.com/p/stexbar/downloads/list ).
2. Locate where the saves are actually found (My Documents\Tell Tale\Walking Dead)
3. Create a backup folder and transfer all your saves to it.
4. Create a new game in the Episode you were on and play until it saves.
5. Quit and check the folder, you should see a new save.
6. Write down the last modified date of this new save file (to the second).
7. Go into your backup folder and find your latest save.
8. Right-Click > Properties > Time Stamp.
9. Change the time of this file to match the new save exactly.
10. Rename old save to match the newly created Save game and replace (ie. if the new save is save_6.sav rename the save you want to use to this and replace the new one).

Your game will now see your save fine.

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU TELLTALE.

After restarting the series and getting halfway through Episode 2 it just did it again. I start the game and it immediately crashes to desktop. Then I start it again and it comes up in windowed mode and all my setting are reset and it doesn't see the saved games.

See above. It works.

8. Right-Click > Properties > Time Stamp.

Not seeing this in my properties anywhere. I see the modified date, but I have no way to change it.

Windows 7.

I've tried multiple other fixes that "work" too, but nothing ever does.

Top Bottom