• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Warner Montreal (Arkham Origins) making a Suicide Squad (supervillain team) game?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay, I realize I'm probably super LTTP on this one, but I searched for a thread and there doesn't seem to be one so...

Thanks to FoneBone for pointing out one was teased.

2010:
-Warner Montreal was founded.
-Geoff Johns teased that a "very violent" Suicide Squad game was in developer.

2012:
-Geoff Johns teases the Suicide Squad game again:
Johns' penchant for the cosmic is reflected in his video game tastes, too. He jokingly asked me if I had any dirt on Halo 5 before admitting that he's got a serious Halo: Reach habit. While Gotham City Impostors represents a video-game shooter with DC Comics roots, Johns is most excited about another game in development form the media company. "We're working on Suicide Squad; it's in development right now," he divulges. The team book where supervillains take on ultra-dangerous government espionage missions that they're not expected to come back from is on the DC Entertainment slate as both a movie and a video game. "I'm really super excited about it. Because of the concept, you have a game where any of the lead characters can conceivably die and it's not a stunt. Some really cool story could come out of that."
http://kotaku.com/5885093/geoff-johns-says-a-great-superman-video-game-needs-the-right-studio

2013:
-(Spoilers for a video game) (Game Title:
Arkham Origins
) (Spoilers:
"In the post-credits of Batman: Arkham Origins, Amanda Waller recruits Deathstroke into the Suicide Squad, hinting at a possible Squad appearance in future Batman: Arkham games, or the aforementioned Suicide Squad game." [via Wikipedia]
)
-(Spoilers for a different video game) (Game Title:
Arkham Origins Blackgate
) (Spoilers:
"Several cut-scenes in Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate implicate Amanda Waller and the Suicide Squad in the game's prison riot plot. Waller and Rick Flag, Jr. are shown recruiting Bronze Tiger and Deadshot in the post-credits scene." [via Wikipedia]
)

2014:
-Warner Montreal has open job postings looking for Unreal Engine experience for AAA games. They are presumably still sharing the same tech base that Rocksteady and Netherrealm use, and is most recently being used in Arkham Knight.
-Arkham Knight is the final "Arkham" game, and this would be a pretty easy way to have a AAA game coming out with characters from the Batman universe to help keep capitalizing on the series' popularity.
-Warner noted that 3 years seemed too long for consumers to be without a AAA Batman title, which is why Origins exists. However, given the studio was founded in 2010 and Arkham City released in 2011, it's probable that making Arkham games wasn't the original idea behind the studio's AAA aspirations.
-Warner Montreal is 400 person (or perhaps more now), so they could definitely handle multiple major games at once. They were also always planned to get this large, so they presumably had a large project slate in mind.

Note: If you want to yell at me noting they aren't a supervillain team, that's fine, it's probably pretty obvious I don't follow comics religiously.

Update:

The cast seems to match up with hints in the TV show Arrow. The full roster seems to be:

Well in the Full Circle trailer for Arrow the team seems to be
Deadshot, Bronze Tiger and Shrapnel and there has been hints that Harley Quinn will make an appearance. Deathstroke won't be part of the team, at least at first, but Waller says she's been tracking him.

And in regards to
Harley Quinn
if you look at their model in the model viewer there is a distinct hint towards that as well (thanks EatChildren).

How did I completely miss this? I would kill for a Suicide Squad game! Although I guarantee you they will pussy out and call it something else like "Task Force X" "Villians United" or "Secret Six"

Oregano

That would be pretty sweet.

I'm not sure how much of a coincidence it is that Deathstroke, Deadshot, Bronze Tiger and Amanda Waller are all in Arrow Season 2. Suicide Squad is happening too and from the sounds of it
Waller has her eye on Deathstroke

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I'm not sure how much of a coincidence it is that Deathstroke, Deadshot, Bronze Tiger and Amanda Waller are all in Arrow Season 2. Suicide Squad is happening too and from the sounds of it

Those are also (video game spoilers)
the exact same set of people she recruits in Arkham Origins and Arkham Origins Blackgate for the Suicide Squad

JayEH

Yeah I realized that after
Origins after credits scene

Really looking forward to WB using other DC characters in games and hopefully WB Montreal can show what they can really do with a game of their own.

It would be cool if they got all of the actors from the show to reprise their roles. But since it wasn't like that in Arkham Origins, I doubt it'll happen.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Harleen Quinzel's clipboard has SUICIDE SQUAD written on it if you check out her character model in the viewer.

Oregano

the exact same set of people she recruits in Arkham Origins and Arkham Origins Blackgate for the Suicide Squad

Deadshot, Bronze Tiger and Shrapnel and there has been hints that Harley Quinn will make an appearance. Deathstroke won't be part of the team, at least at first, but Waller says she's been tracking him.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Harleen Quinzel's clipboard has SUICIDE SQUAD written on it if you check out her character model in the viewer.

Yeah, combining these two
Harley Quinn
definitely seems to be in.

I didn't play the Arkham Origins games and didn't know about these post credits scenes...so I have one very important question.

Was Amanda Waller a big, middle aged woman or was she a skinny, hot, young woman?

Messi

I didn't play the Arkham Origins games and didn't know about these post credits scenes...so I have one very important question.

Was Amanda Waller a big, middle aged woman or was she a skinny, hot, young woman?

0250a5caf9aae383dbed7b0e250821efb24a382b.jpg

Its hard to get a good sense of her body type from that image but it looks a hell of a lot better than the current comic book version. I feared that they would go with the skinny Waller since they seem to be leaning toward the current Suicide Squad roster.

AmandaWaller.jpeg

I am already pretty happy with the expanded inclusion of Oracle (and her appearance) so this seeming avoidance of the terrible new Walller strikes me as a good sign.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Its hard to get a good sense of her body type from that image but it looks a hell of a lot better than the current comic book version. I feared that they would go with the skinny Waller since they seem to be leaning toward the current Suicide Squad roster.

AmandaWaller.jpeg

I am already pretty happy with the expanded inclusion of Oracle (and her appearance) so this seeming avoidance of the terrible new Walller strikes me as a good sign.

And Blackgate:

Only tangentially related, but how's the Suicide Squad comic these days? I'm talking after the New 52 reboot.

On topic: I'd love to see more DC comic games come out, and a supervillain team sounds really great.

But man would I love a Sinister Six game. Come on Marvel, get your shit together!

Some Nobody

How did I completely miss this? I would kill for a Suicide Squad game! Although I guarantee you they will pussy out and call it something else like "Task Force X" "Villians United" or "Secret Six"

Doubtful. Secret Six is a completely different team. Task Force X is super-generic. Suicide Squad makes the most sense.

And, great OP. I knew like, 90% of this stuff and I've been calling this game for weeks now over WB Montreal doing another Arkham game, but I was way too lazy to create something this thorough.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
As someone that doesn't follow comics, what would a suicide squad game be?

Coop shooter like Gears?
Freedom force style game?
Brawler like Batman?

styl3s

You mean DC has OTHER IPs to make games into that aren't Batman?
You start out playing as Deathstroke in the Suicide Squad game thinking you are actually playing Wade Wilson only to find out you are actually playing Bruce Wayne as Deathstroke.

This is pretty interesting, though for sure it won't be revealed in 2014 with Batman Arkham Knight being released, they will leave it for 2015, right ?!

Anyway I am not so hot on the roaster of Suicide Squad, but if I can play as DeathStroke, then I am officially sold
tumblr_mloyzkjNrf1rl14rno1_r1_500.jpg

If not, then I am not so sure.

Yeah, this is definitely a good idea. No complaints from me. Be good if you could put together your own Suicide Squad from loads of obscure villain characters and go online with them.

Sojgat

As someone that doesn't follow comics, what would a suicide squad game be?

Coop shooter like Gears?
Freedom force style game?
Brawler like Batman?

I'd guess it would be similar to the Arkham games, just with the gameplay mechanics slightly tweaked depending on which character you play (as was done for Catwoman, Robin, and Deathstroke). Would definitely make sense for Bronze Tiger, but it would be interesting to see how they would handle Deadshot. Gun kata?

Joni

If you take into account they're supposed to be developping a low budget Suicide Squad movie, it makes even more sense. Use Arrow to get the actors for the movie considering it is low budget and to get a bit hype for it; get a game to strengthen the brand around the same time. You don't even have to link the Arkham universe to the movie universe, they're just two properties about the same subject with the same people, but each with their own story.

Drayco21

He's not really a Suicide Squad guy, but the stinger in Arkham Origins and the fact that he was playable in there basically confirms this in my eyes- we'll probably play as Deathstroke and he'll be teamed up with Bronze Tiger, Deadshot, Rick Flagg, and maybe bring in someone new we haven't seen in an Arkham game yet. Hopefully not Harley Quinn. Plus, Amanda Waller as the game's Oracle, and she's not putting up with your shit today, supervillains.

Montreal didn't do too hot on Origins, but I'm all for the expansion of the Batman games into a full DC Universe game, and if they aren't going to do Arrow, I'd rather see them do Suicide Squad than more Batman.

I'll finally get to play as Captain Boomerang!

On a serious note, Deathstroke is a bit too big a name to end up in the Suicide Squad. He'd should be able to solo any mission they throw at him.

Ashtar

Wow this would be really cool, online co-op is a must though. What's the point in having a squad if you run as a squad.
Death stroke and bronze tiger :banderas:

Squire

Banned
I'll finally get to play as Captain Boomerang!

On a serious note, Deathstroke is a bit too big a name to end up in the Suicide Squad. He'd should be able to solo any mission they throw at him.

On the contrary: He's going to be in it for the simple reason he is a big name.

akira28

ooh. Deadshot and Bane and that banshee chick....fuck it I want a Secret Six game.

I don't remember Deathstroke being a Squad member. Captain Boomerang and Plastique & co from the old school maybe. Slade Wilson has usually been a lone wolf, even before his super powered nu52 upgrade.

Omega

Banned
I wouldn't exactly call Suicide Squad a supervillain squad

Super villain would have to be villains that are actually relevant

Top Bottom