• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "Wii HiFi" Nintendo's next console?

mehdi_san

(They don't say it directly in the article, but I am pretty sure the logo is not real. They made it just to go with the article. )
WiiHiFi_MAV_01.jpg

The journalist from gameblog.fr are on a leash recently. After implying that they already saw Metal Gear Solid Rising running at Kojima productions, and leaking Mizuguchi's next game code name (Child of Eden), they are now affirming that Nintendo's next console will be called Wii HiFi. According to what game developers told them, it will be announced at the right end of Nintendo's E3 conference, and it is planned to release around November 2011. Here are the details that have leaked so far:
  • It should be on par with the 360
  • It should not be called Wii 2 but Wii HiFi
  • It will be very online-oriented this time
  • Community aspects will be a big component
  • It should be out around November 2011

They don't know how much Nintendo will be showing at E3 though: just the name? Maybe the design? The controller?

So what do you guys think? Isn't it too early to show it if they plan on releasing in November 2011?

Source: http://www.gameblog.fr/news_15992_e3-10-la-wii-hifi-serait-annoncee-a-l-e3

gerg

On the one hand, lol wat?

On the other hand, Pachter redeemed? The date sounds reasonable, the graphical capabilities sound disappointing. If Nintendo wants to compete significantly with Sony and Microsoft (and I accept that that "if" may not pertain), then they need to match them technologically.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmmm, big grain of salt but i can see it happen. Its effectively wii hd that people have asked for.

mehdi_san

They don't really use the term "HD" in Japan. HDTV are called "Hi-Vision telebi" here, so I can understand that they don't go with Wii HD.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ad Infinitum said:
Yuhuh. HD fits in with the general public.

Hi-Fi is so 80s.

Unless they are marketing to slick 80's types.

HD is the buzz word these days, well, 3D now. So Nintendo can have the Wii HD and the 3DS! Marketing covered.

Reggie: "At Nintendo, we hear what the press says. We hear the rumblings, the rumors. We've heard the whispers of a 'Wii HD.' But what I can say is that Nintendo does not follow the traditional path. And so instead of a H - D... what about, an H - F... as in, Hey, Fuck you, Pachter."

Nintendo are probably thinking that if they call their new console 'HD' they are publically admitting defeat to MS and Sony in that regard. By calling their next console Hi-Fi, they confuse everyone by going further backwards.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The name sounds bizarre and nonsensical enough to be realistic.

And I've been believing for a while they'd announce a WiiHD at this E3 :p

ckeur

Lionheart1827 said:
Eh. If true, I was hoping they'd surprise us and actually make a next gen, as in better than the current gen, console.

You were hoping this from ... Nintendo? :lol

Vinci

Danish
MarshMellow96 said:
Nintendo are probably thinking that if they call their new console 'HD' they are publically admitting defeat to MS and Sony in that regard. By calling their next console Hi-Fi, they confuse everyone by going further backwards.

Wii 8-Track would be better.

gerg

MarshMellow96 said:

I'm sure Nintendo's thinking that soon toasters will be "HD", so there's no need to further crowd that market. Of course, this may all just be a rumour, but I would expect that to be the logic behind the name were it true.

ckeur said:
You were hoping this from ... Nintendo? :lol

People conveniently suffer from amnesia at the start of every generation. Nintendo dislikes expensive technology, and not necessarily advanced technology.

Bentendo

I don't believe this. Not wiling to bet my account, but I don't believe this one bit.

Is anyone else disappointed with "on par with 360"? Being the next generation, don't you think it should go beyond catch up?

gerg said:
On the one hand, lol wat?

On the other hand, Pachter redeemed? The date sounds reasonable, the graphical capabilities sound disappointing. If Nintendo wants to compete significantly with Sony and Microsoft (and I accept that that "if" may not pertain), then they need to match them technologically.

No they don't.

Rlan

Considering Nintendo's stubbornness DVD format and high quality audio, it would be fascinating to see how they'd deal with it.

stuminus3

intheinbetween said:
on par with 360? :lol
Nothing really wrong with that. The 360 and PS3 aren't going anywhere any time soon. I'll eat my (delicious nacho) hat if they do. It's gonna be a long, long time before we get a home console that tops what the superior master race can currently build with their money.

I call BS on this either way.

TunaLover

It's probably fake, Iwata himself said that will not be great announcements this year. Furthermore the HI-FI logo shows amateurish problems, the "F" is not enough far from the "I", at least not the same distance that the "H" is from the "I" in HI. The"-" looks missplaced too not at the same level that the H horizontal line.

Top Bottom