• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is withholding information considered lying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koam

For example, let's say a female friend asks you "what did you do last night?" and you respond with "Oh, I went for dinner with Alex and Michael, then we went to catch a movie" but you omit that after that, you went for drinks with Chrissy. Is this considered lying to you?

(This situation did not happen, it's just an argument i'm having with someone).

I consider it a form of lying. While technically, what you said is true, you're purposely not mentioning a part of the story that has some weight on it and you're misleading them.

bjork

If you think it's not on the up-and-up, it's probably lying by your definition. It just might not be by someone else's, since we're all different. Can't expect people to adhere to your values, even if they make perfect sense to you. Some people need to lie in order to function.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
why is does a friend (not wife or girlfriend) need to have full disclosure of what you did throughout an entire evening?

Troidal

Well, for starters, who is this female friend? What is the problem if he went out with Chrissy if this female friend is not his girlfriend? Ok, so if he was interested in the friend and Chrissy, but hasn’t gotten anywhere at this point with either of the girls, sure, I’d say don’t tell her about it. There’s nothing wrong with “planting the seeds” and other people shouldn’t need or care to know about it.

Mason

I would feel like it's lying so I wouldn't do it. I have the most hyperactive, pain-in-the-ass conscious known to man, though.

MIMIC

Banned
I'd consider that lying because by withholding the entire story, you intend to deceive by painting a different picture.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
This is why i'll never get married. Everytime you do something without their knowledge (women) they start interrogating you like an episode of CSI.

"Where were you?"

"Who did you go out with?"

"Is that women's perfume I smell?"

"Is that a hernia in your pants or are you just glad to see me?"

"Why are you groping me?"

Maybe marriage isn't such a bad thing...

Phoenix

If you omitted the information because you knew the response would be bad, then it is a lie of omission. If you just forgot or didn't think that it mattered, it isn't.

Phoenix

MrToughPants said:
This is why i'll never get married. Everytime you do something without their knowledge (women) they start interrogating you like an episode of CSI.

Then you're marrying the wrong person. My wife has never ever done anything along those lines.

Marge : "Why do you have so many bowling balls?"
Homer : "Ah, I'm not gonna lie to you, Marge. So long..."

That Simpsons joke always cracks me up

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
koam said:
For example, let's say a female friend asks you "what did you do last night?" and you respond with "Oh, I went for dinner with Alex and Michael, then we went to catch a movie" but you omit that after that, you went for drinks with Chrissy. Is this considered lying to you?
This shouldn't be a question. If going for drinks with Chrissy is what you did last night, then that's what you answer the question with, unless you're interested in lying.

koam

MIMIC said:
I'd consider that lying because by withholding the entire story, you intend to deceive by painting a different picture.

He knows too much! Burn him! (and no, that whole story was fictional, i was just using it as an example).

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
briefcasemanx said:
it's not untrue, so i don't think it's "lying".
But it is. He was hypothetically asked what he did and he didn't say all of what he did. She's under the impression that he did nothing else and that's a false impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom