• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is World of Warcraft finally dying? BBC article.

Velius

Banned
Why the fuck was anyone playing WoW beyond BC? They just love filling their lives with shit day in day out?

royox

We fall!
We fall!
We fall!
We fall!
Unto the end
The end (One world's end)
Our end (Our World's end)
Our world won't end! (We won't end)

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
This is from a mode dedicated about educating people and to be utilized in academia (or at least that was the intent of its creation). The fact that you think this is "OK" says a lot about your character.
Yeah it says that I don't care what Ubisoft does in their video games. I don't care that they chose to censor out historical sexism in their game. It doesn't bother me at all. Not even a little.

What a horrendous stain upon my character. How will I ever recover from this. My life is now a shell of what it once was. How will I go on from here now that people know this disgusting truth?

(Get a grip 🙄)

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah it says that I don't care what Ubisoft does in their video games. I don't care that they chose to censor out historical sexism in their game. It doesn't bother me at all. Not even a little.

What a horrendous stain upon my character. How will I ever recover from this. My life is now a shell of what it once was. How will I go on from here now that people know this disgusting truth?

(Get a grip 🙄)

What a grossly regressive mindset. Though I guess I can't be surprised when its coming from you.

TVexperto

I still remember articles about people being burned out and loosing jobs and wife because they played wow 24/7.

I finally started playing it and somehow its just boring? never played it before but you are pretty much all alone, how do you even play missions with other people?

Paasei

Well, as a very long time player myself, I do believe it's dying for real this time. My own interest in the game declined heavily during Legion. After already skipping nearly all of Warlords of Draenor, I kept on taking more and more breaks. Legion itself wasn't a bad expansion for me personally. After only playing mage and priest since vanilla all the way to this point, I finally rolled something different, a Death Knight, and had a blast. I just didn't really feel the game anymore. Probably only natural after so many years of playing.
Then I kinda just stopped and never bothered with Battle for Azeroth and Shadowlands. I did come back for the re-release of vanilla and The Burning Crusade, but even still, I can't seem to get any excitement out of it anymore. Too much has changed and with that I mean outside the game as well. I guess it was just time to move on.

In addition to all of that, there's still the obvious elephant in the room. The scandals in their studio(s) and just generally no connection with the playerbase whatsoever over the years. The crazy amount of bots, p2w systems in disguise and a lot of attention and time spent on creating and selling store mounts. Surely that doesn't help to keep players that are/were on the same boat as myself interested. I played on and off, mostly off, during the first phase of classic Burning Crusade. Got my arena rating for the gear, done all the raids that were available and I was done.

I had a really good time over the course of those many years, and still think it is one of the best games ever made, but at some point in time, it's just best to call it a day and move on. No king rules forever.

Not interested in any other MMO as I never have been to begin with. I bought this game when I was 13 (30 now)thinking it was a completely different type of game. From the trailers I thought this was like Warcraft 3, but instead of a top overview with RTS, you directly and only control the hero characters from the Altar of Storms. Go figure how wrong I was....

Funnily enough, when it comes to sheer gameplay, the animations and fluidity (if that's even a word) of the combat, is still unrivaled. Not a single MMO has done it better, still.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

What a bizarre thread and article.
WoW will contract a lot.

But "dying"?
People understand that Everquest and Ultima Online are still chugging along right? WoW is exponentially bigger than both of those.
Provided society and electricity continue, I doubt WoW will "die" in my lifetime. Absolutely not in the next 10-15 years.

Grechy34

I played since Friends & Family Alpha in 2004. Played every expansion, every class to max level (some on both factions). I played Shadowlands at launch, maxxed out a few classes, but haven't touched it since the last patch and have no desire to. I've cancelled my sub and have been playing other games, including FFXIV now.

I take it since 2004 you have never left your house.

Tg89

I still remember articles about people being burned out and loosing jobs and wife because they played wow 24/7.

I finally started playing it and somehow its just boring? never played it before but you are pretty much all alone, how do you even play missions with other people?
Depends when you started playing exactly. But those articles are likely from early on in WoWs life cycle (like 2004-2008). It’s a very very different game now and inherently far less social and far more streamlined.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Are you literally triggered that people don't care whether game developers adhere to historical accuracy or not?
Jesus.

Nice strawman of an old post. Maybe pay more attention before you post cringe trash like that.

V4skunk

Banned
I stopped playing wow after they stopped world pvp and city raids. That would have been 16 and a half years ago.
Wow in the first 6 months was bat shit insane. Horde out numbered on all servers, constant city raids, log in to Orc City being raided by the hundreds of Alliance players with all quest givers dead on 15or30min spawn time and chat going crazy trying to organise counter attack.
The Tarren mill or what ever was also a crazy war zone.
Too many retards complained out being killed on the pvp servers and got all the goodness stopped.

Last edited:

TVexperto

Depends when you started playing exactly. But those articles are likely from early on in WoWs life cycle (like 2004-2008). It’s a very very different game now and inherently far less social and far more streamlined.
Thanks, that sucks. I always had the impression WoW is still very social but just doing story grind missions for hours without even really meeting other players makes me wonder how the game is still so popular. Maybe I should try New World or Guild Wars 2..

CuNi

Nice strawman of an old post. Maybe pay more attention before you post cringe trash like that.

But that's literally what he said.
He said he doesn't care whether games are historically accurate or not. And I agree with him.
It's you who just got triggered by someone not agreeing on your world views lol so get lost with that "cringe trash". :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mr.ODST

People who play WoW never experienced Star Wars Galaxies ... the greatest MMO to have ever lived.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

So many MMO's are in their death stage, but still profitable to run. Everquest 1 is a prime example, 22 years of age. DCUO is still hanging on by a string, 10-11 years of age, even Age of Conan is still running. 24 years of age.
I would imagine, WOW has enough residual people, to stay alive in some way. I wonder if Wild star or LOTR are still going..

Mr.ODST

Vanilla, CU, NGE?
Oh bro ... its got to be Vanilla, nothing has ever come close, CU ruined it but was serviceable, NGE was an attempt at making it modern which destroyed what made the game great.

I play it daily on private servers, still an incredible game.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
So many MMO's are in their death stage, but still profitable to run. Everquest 1 is a prime example, 22 years of age. DCUO is still hanging on by a string, 10-11 years of age, even Age of Conan is still running. 24 years of age.
I would imagine, WOW has enough residual people, to stay alive in some way. I wonder if Wild star or LOTR are still going..
LotRO has changed owners a few times but it's still chugging around. Probably the best representation of Middle earth

a little background, I only played WOW way back during the beta and the original release and I stopped playing it a little under a year after it's release. I remember it being somewhat fun, but the grind and the end game was just not for me. plus I was already playing another MMO at the time and I honestly dislike a lot of the directions with WOW. I had, however, been keeping an eye on WOW throughout the years, partly because I know friends who played it, and partly because I like Blizzard and I feel the game is still good, just not for me.

my option from my very limited experience with WOW is that it is in its core a good game that had over done some things such as how hard it is to level and to get into highend stuff. the story presentation was also lacking some thought and work. but once the whole WOW Token thing came out, that marks the decline of the game. I don't think I need to state the reason for that since players who's more passionate towards the game than me had done so many many times already. the philosophy of the game had changed over the years and it's hard not to see a lot of the decision made by the dev (under the pressure of Activision probably) as nothing else than money grab. it still has plenty of die hard fans of course, and they'll be able to keep the game afloat for a long time. however, with the recent issues on the company as a whole and their history of repeatedly ignoring player feedback on some rather major gameplay issues, I honestly don't see the game rebounding to it's former glory.

that is not to say it'll just die off or anything. it'll still hobble on, likely bleeding player slowly. it would be in the same position as the Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 version in that it's a major brand of the company and they will do something to save it if it's fallen to a really terrible state. that's what I would expect if the main company overseeing Blizzard isn't Activision. I fear Activision might rather turn off the whole thing instead of investing resources to improve and rescue the game.

I am, however, only an outsider watching the drama unfold from time to time. who's to say Blizzard can't turn it around. if they can truly do that, all the better for them and us. it's always good to have more good games on the market.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
But that's literally what he said.
He said he doesn't care whether games are historically accurate or not. And I agree with him.
It's you who just got triggered by someone not agreeing on your world views lol so get lost with that "cringe trash". :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You are really doubling down on that strawman, aren't you?

Everyone can see what N_I posted. Since you either are a low effort troll, a REEEEEturner, or simply lack the reading comprehension above a kindergarten level, I will spell it out for you.

Discovery is billed as an *educational* tool. This is what N_I was defending censorship for. This is why I rightfully called him out as anyone who promotes the censorship of history for educational purposes is scum. Plain and simple.

FF is solid now.
New World launched.
Lost Arc is going to launch.

That's all on top of WoW issues.
I do still care about world first race, but that's it.

Cignus

Neo Member
I did some serious PVP in Season 1 of Shadowlands, got bored pretty quickly.
I've been level 20 twinking for the last... (holy shit) 8 months. Which has been nice besides the insane class imbalance, but I figure its no different than 60 at this point with less leveling/gearing/abilities.

Didn't quite bite onto New World after playing a lot of the Alphas/Betas
Can't be asked to play through the FF Story

I'm about ready for something else *stares at Lost Ark*

CuNi

You are really doubling down on that strawman, aren't you?

Everyone can see what N_I posted. Since you either are a low effort troll, a REEEEEturner, or simply lack the reading comprehension above a kindergarten level, I will spell it out for you.

Discovery is billed as an *educational* tool. This is what N_I was defending censorship for. This is why I rightfully called him out as anyone who promotes the censorship of history for educational purposes is scum. Plain and simple.

And movies have a fucking disclaimer that says "based on true stories" and then fucking go on about humans being possesed by demons and bein exorcised.
Just because it is billed as a educational tool doesn't mean it is fucking 100% true and no one on planet earth should ONLY play games to learn about history or anything.
Games if anything should be there to entice interest so the players then proceed to read actual material on the history and deepen their knowledge.

If you turn up to a argument about anything and cite Ubisoft's Discovery Tour as your source then you'll get laughed at, and you know this.
Just because you cannot accept that games are games and aren't 100% accurate is not my problem. Also, just throwing in "b-but strawman" isn't going to save you from the point.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Easily the best time I ever had with a game, I played for the first few years of release when it was all new with the ex, sitting at the dining room table with our laptops, ordering pizza and drinking beer, made some great friends and had some fantastic experiences, tried a few times to get back into it over the years since but it never held my attention for longer than a week and no other mmo ever came close to matching it

Ozzie666

LotRO has changed owners a few times but it's still chugging around. Probably the best representation of Middle earth

Several friends purchased the life time subscription when it was around. Was a good game, with enough features to make it different than WoW. You actually had to read and think for some quests.

Liljagare

Damnit. Now you've done it. Now I'm gonna reinstall Grindframe. This song is pure SOUL.
edit: never mind. I just remembered that they made you create some space kid to progress the game. My interest is gone

IMHO, one of the best written questlines in any game, for a long, long, long time, don't miss out on it all. Operator Mode isn't that hard to finish, and a really excellent questline. Give it a go, you won't regrett it. I stopped in 2016, came back in 2020, was totally lost, but had a friend suggest to me to do the questlines, they are friggin' all excellent. Not regretting a single hour.. :D

Moar people should be playing Warframe over WoW imho, but it is a AFPS, so probarly wont draw the same public. But, on the other hand, imho, it is a really, really EASY control FPS. If you can stand in the fight f'ing spot, and toss more AOE in WoW, you can play Warframe.

Last edited:

T8SC

I5cAHX.gif

Velius

Banned
I mean at least give WotLK it's due, still peak WoW right there.
I loved Wrath. Arthas is my favorite character ever. Having said that, they really did butcher the concept of what the Lich King really is, and you could clearly see the bad camp leaking into the story, particularly the wrathgate cinematic. So much fucking cringe. I thought it was a clear step down from BC, but I certainly should have gone easier on my comment because I can't fault anyone for loving Northrend

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
And movies have a fucking disclaimer that says "based on true stories" and then fucking go on about humans being possesed by demons and bein exorcised.
Movies "based on true stories" are not billed, shown off, and pushed as educational tools.
Just because it is billed as a educational tool doesn't mean it is fucking 100% true
If it is an educational tool, it should be 100% correct to what we know at the time. End of story.
and no one on planet earth should ONLY play games to learn about history or anything.
No one but you is suggesting this.
Games if anything should be there to entice interest so the players then proceed to read actual material on the history and deepen their knowledge.
Which is exactly what AC did for many years. However, when you add an entire mode dedicated to education and sell it as such, it needs to be accurate. It isn't a hard thing to comprehend.
If you turn up to a argument about anything and cite Ubisoft's Discovery Tour as your source then you'll get laughed at, and you know this.
Just because you cannot accept that games are games and aren't 100% accurate is not my problem. Also, just throwing in "b-but strawman" isn't going to save you from the point.
Games are games. If they are billed, sold, and promoted to do one thing and fail to do that thing, they should be rightfully criticized. In this case, a mode billed, promoted, and sold as an educational tool fails at the most basic aspects of being an educational tool. Stop defending a shitty company doing cunty things.

I will keep calling out your shitty strawman arguments as that is what they are. Shitty strawman arguments. It only further shows you have no room to stand and offer nothing of value in a discussion or debate. Now run back to Era where you clearly belong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom