• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is World of Warcraft finally dying? BBC article.

KiteGr

I've Jumped that ship a long time ago!

ikyDXwU.gif

ManaByte

Gold Member
Then there's also the Blizzard-influenced negativity such as their perennial habit of releasing games/expansions in beta to presumably gather feedback, then proceed to ignore or even ridicule all of that feedback and launch a poor game/expansion, only to admit months later that they were wrong and the players were correct but then take several additional months to fix the issues - completely negating the entire point of the beta. Blizzard is fucking infamous for doing this.
That’s because the devs think they are gods and above criticism.

Kenpachii

I quited after wrath, picked it up at legion, and quited after that again

Then played vanilla classic and that's about it.

Problems i got with the game

1) to expensive, 23 bucks after already paying 1000's of bucks on the game just to get simple access to the game is criminal at this stage specially when u can get gamepass etc with 100's of games.
2) u pay a sub can't even play shadowlands, gotta buy a expansion ( extremely greedy )
3) shop items / boosts. feels like i am wasting my time in the world.
4) everything is buyable, the game is all about whales trying to out whale eachother. U try to actually get something legit by farming u are wasting your time and will never be able to compete unless u are a streamer or getting carried hard or spend your life farming and even then u will probably not get there.
5) Endless promises from devs that they "will fix things" never happens just to keep you subscribed. They just scramble balances every patch and call it a day.
6) lore is dog shit, not like i care about lore but atleast a simple lore solution would be appriciated that is easy and light to understand
7) Gear is worthless, u stop playing for a few months your raid gear is worth less then random dungeon gear to the point u can't even participate in raids anymore u played before because "i level to low rofl". which makes getting gear in raids pointless just wait on the next patch and get it for free
8) characters feel nothing like they where. shadow priest with tenticales and other bars to keep up with mana that never drains. that's not wha ti palyed in vanilla / tbc / wrath. Almost feels like a arcade take on the game
9) overworld being complete phased out and death, as nobody levels anymore and doing daily's are the most annoying and boring shit ever. Phasing out and not being able to trade to newbee's killed the game for me entirely its not longer a world but a hub to modes. World of instance craft
10) a game that was all about "world of warcraft" had devs at the top that hated PVP with a passion. Instead of having the conflict revolve around the factions it was always some "other creature in a locked off instance" that honestly gets tiring. MMO's are about community's and conflict between them, something wow never understood and basically also why the game becomes a dull bore fest.
11) pvp is non existing to the point it could have been the juggernaut reason to play the game still today but they decided not too
12) nothing feels like it matters. U want the next big raid boss weapon? just creditcard tokens to a guild leader and boom u are done. Doing effort is a waste of time.
13) big changes to characters to the point they don't feel like the char u liked anymore. its a different char entirely
14) steamrol all characters into being able to do everything which killed there uniqueness and feel towards u mattered towards a team
15) youtube and "best build and class this patch" which results in everybody in vanilla being a mage and basically min max to the point u can no longer enjoy exploring because u gotta play the meta builds to even get into stuff
16) bots everywhere, devs don't care. They fly everywhere, they fly under maps. tons of them everywhere its just not funny anymore and bliz doesn't care. ( always stated this even in real vanilla, moment playbase tanks bots takes over no bans happen and your mmo dies, exactly what is happening now ) "east china department of bliz has no issue's banning them in the west however lol )
17) It gets old to have every expansion "a ultimate bad guy" It worked for tbc and wrath, cata it became a bore fest deathwing was probably the end of this.
18) cartoony was understandable back in the day because of hardware limitations, today it just feels like completely outdated to what u can possible push forwards and just lazy.

In short what i want back is

vanilla 2.0 experience in a new jacked with new solutions in even a entire new mmo based around vanilla concepts would be interesting.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

They still have two rip cords they can pull, F2P and a console release. Basically WoW can be milked for profit for the entire careers of some of the decision makers and therefore they do not need to actually re-invest the billions they made off of this game into anything new.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I stopped playing in Wrath, but I still picked up every explansion to go through the leveling process. Sometimes I stuck around for a few months or popped back in here and there. With the expansion before Shadowlands (forget the name) I got bored during the leveling process and never finished. I never bothered picking up Shadowlands.

The game is just old, stale and dated at this point. I also never liked how each patch pretty much made most of the content before it irrelevant. I think FF14 does a better job keeping all the past content cycled in through the roulette system.

I was already mostly gone when the scandal broke out. Naturally, the whole debacle didn't help either, but I still play a day or two a week, but mainly split my time between FFXIV and then some Minecraft with my daughter.

DarkestHour

Banned
The economy is so fucked by gold sellers that Classic Vanilla/TBC both rely on insane amounts of farming or buying gold to get anything done or afforded.

Lanrutcon

Surely with the success of WoW, they were busy planning for the future with WoW II and III, right?...

So there's probably someone who can explain this better than me, but WoW 2 would take ages to make the money that the original is pulling in pm atm.

Most people play WoW because they've played WoW. They've sunk so much time into it that they're invested. If you make a sequel, a lot of people wouldn't automatically play it because they'd lose years worth of shit. Just the thought of starting over would turn off a ton of people. How do you translate a decade's worth of progress across into a new game? You don't. You make everyone start out fresh. That would go down like a lead balloon.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

So there's probably someone who can explain this better than me, but WoW 2 would take ages to make the money that the original is pulling in pm atm.

Most people play WoW because they've played WoW. They've sunk so much time into it that they're invested. If you make a sequel, a lot of people wouldn't automatically play it because they'd lose years worth of shit. Just the thought of starting over would turn off a ton of people. How do you translate a decade's worth of progress across into a new game? You don't. You make everyone start out fresh. That would go down like a lead balloon.
The feelings of the current sweaty raiders that play that shitshow of a game should concern no one. The biggest concern of a WoW 2 is that the current WoW devs would be developing it and clearly they have zero talent or ability to do such a thing.

I should not be surprise... whenever there is topic that say wow is dying, someone pop in and say ffxiv is horrible. This is abouw wow not doing good, not ffxiv doing great. It is as if they have complete hatred of ffxiv and they want to blame it for wow not doing so hot.

Relativ9

I would say FF14 has aging graphics and it's starting to show.
The main problem with FF14s graphics isn't the fidelity (or lack thereof) but it's not something that is universal appealing/acceptable. To me the sort of anime cutsy style they've gone for is not very appealing, feels like I'm playing a cringey dating sim.

proandrad

All the issues WoW has I also find in FF14. Other than for the art style I can’t find a reason why FF14 is any better.

I just want a new mmo in the style of of classic wow. Same type of leveling, end game(no lfg or multiple difficulties of the same raid), and no micro transactions.

Last edited:

Valonquar

With a ton of pestering me every damn day, a co-worked talked me into playing WoW for the first time in like 11 years. I played for maybe 5 hours to humor him, but Jesus fucking Christ the game looks like shit. Since I played a ton back in the day, I used the free level boost to play with the co-worker, but found everything too dated to enjoy.

I played a LOT of vanilla WoW & Burning Crusade. I did all the raiding, and whatnot back then. Sort of rage quit after our guild slowly fell apart near the end of BC due to boredom, other games, RL, etc. WoW was always sort of dumb, but fun, but even back when I was hardcore playing it, I always complained that FFXI had better battle system, better lore, better story and awesome cutscenes.

You pretty much need a ton of 3rd party \ fan created add-ons covering 30% or more of the screen to be useful and all of it looks like shit. I really was expecting a lot more out of the "graphical update" that happened during my time away from the game.

FFXIV does borrow a lot of ideas from WoW, and has a lot of the same problems. Time gated tomes for gear, weekly quest rep grind lockouts, and an ever slowing dripfeed of new content. Still, even with the complaints, I find myself continuing to play FFXIV, mostly for the same reason a lot of people still play WoW: the time already invested.

nerdface

Banned
It died a long time ago.

i resubbed a couple years ago and geared myself up to do some raiding, met some cool peeps, there was still a good community

then the warrior pulled the entire raid instance and tanked all of it while outhealing me…I canceled the next day.

that asshole ‘foror’ (what kind of shithead names himself after hitler) ruined wow long before he ruined blizzard

fuck that guy, and fuck foh

/rant

Last edited:

dcx4610

I put a decade into it and quit several expansions ago. It's a great MMO but it suffers from the same as they all do - You level up, get new equipment and then there's nothing to do with it. You can raid if you want to do the guild thing but if you manage to get the best equipment, now what?

I don't know how you solve that problem to keep it fresh. New expansions and increasing the level cap gets old after while because you are just doing the same thing. MMOs are the most exciting when they are new and you are exploring and leveling up for the first time.

I'm ready for Pantheon or the next MMO. Blizzard should consider WoW 2 with a completely new graphics engine, story, timeline, characters, etc. I'd be interested in that.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
The main problem with FF14s graphics isn't the fidelity (or lack thereof) but it's not something that is universal appealing/acceptable. To me the sort of anime cutsy style they've gone for is not very appealing, feels like I'm playing a cringey dating sim.
Ahah , I've seen worst but also better. Not only for the character either, the world is sort of flat and unappealing at some places. I can't remember the name of the region but there's a place filled with crystal, they're literally everywhere and quests over there are such a slog...

The overall tone, gameplay loop and flow really feel dated. It's time for a the graphic overhaul they've been working on

Kumomeme

people keep saying WoW 2 might 'fix' the problem..

but honestly do you guys think current Blizzard can pull it of? isnt lot of original member of the team already left the company? whats left now is the very same group of devs who people keep complaining for over and over gain

vkbest

Anime graphics? Lol. Wow it’s more cartoonish than FF XIV anime

Last edited:

Relativ9

Anime graphics? Lol. Wow it’s more cartoonish than FF XIV anime
"Style" cartoonish and anime are not the same, Anime is a spesific visual style which WoW looks nothing like at all, WoW is a far more mature/less sexualized style, and yeah it's cell shaded, but that's not what we're talking about, you might as well also say that Borderlands is "anime" then if everything cell shaded amounts to the same style.

Comparison:
OHBtJpC.png
BJnST55.png

Now of course there are scantly clad women in WoW as well (though far less prevalent), that's not my point, my point is that the overall tone and visual style of things like the fasions, animations, poses, ect in FF14 is far more "anime" than WoW, and to some people that's a big turn off. Doesn't mean it's wrong or anything, just means that it probably won't ever have the same mainstream appeal as WoW did at one point.

ManaByte

Gold Member

The things most people care about such as mounts have long ago been tied to the account. Blizzard made that change a long time ago, probably to future proof the system for a new game. You can play WoW2 and all your important unlocks from 20 years of WoW carry over via your account.

CGiRanger

Banned
"Style" cartoonish and anime are not the same, Anime is a spesific visual style which WoW looks nothing like at all, WoW is a far more mature/less sexualized style, and yeah it's cell shaded, but that's not what we're talking about, you might as well also say that Borderlands is "anime" then if everything cell shaded amounts to the same style.

Comparison:
OHBtJpC.png
BJnST55.png

Now of course there are scantly clad women in WoW as well (though far less prevalent), that's not my point, my point is that the overall tone and visual style of things like the fasions, animations, poses, ect in FF14 is far more "anime" than WoW, and to some people that's a big turn off. Doesn't mean it's wrong or anything, just means that it probably won't ever have the same mainstream appeal as WoW did at one point.
I think people now underestimate just how "mainstream" anime has gotten in a lot of places. I'd argue that the "anime" look exampled here would be much much more popular than the "WoW" look there.

Lanrutcon

The things most people care about such as mounts have long ago been tied to the account. Blizzard made that change a long time ago, probably to future proof the system for a new game. You can play WoW2 and all your important unlocks from 20 years of WoW carry over via your account.

There are lots of things tied to your account. Your WoW account though, not your WoW 2 account, is what I'm saying. They'd have to purposefully align those two things in order to make sure your WoW stuff carries over between titles. Doesn't mean squat if you've got <Color Drake #15> on your WoW 2 account if that mount doesn't exist in the actual game.

Last edited:

Relativ9

There are lots of things tied to your account. Your WoW account though, not your WoW 2 account, is what I'm saying. They'd have to purposefully align those two things in order to make sure your WoW stuff carries over between titles. Doesn't mean squat if you've got <Color Drake #15> on your WoW 2 account if that mount doesn't exist in the actual game.
Don't see why they'd ever do that, they'd want to enroll people in an entirely new "WoW 2" microtransaction ecosystem, as then they'd have the possibility to earn all that money all over again. I wouldn't be surprised if they even based designs and skins of new stuff in WoW 2 on fan-favorites from current WoW and charged people for the same stuff again, with the excuse that now everything has a much higher fidelity.

Lanrutcon

Don't see why they'd ever do that, they'd want to enroll people in an entirely new "WoW 2" microtransaction ecosystem, as then they'd have the possibility to earn all that money all over again. I wouldn't be surprised if they even based designs and skins of new stuff in WoW 2 on fan-favorites from current WoW and charged people for the same stuff again, with the excuse that now everything has a much higher fidelity.

Yeah, that's also how I see it going. Activision gonna Activision.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Sure, Jan. Especially those quests to only talk to NPCs... 🤮

Oh, you mean like the quests to kill 30 boars for 10 boar livers? Or those quests that have you sit in a single spot, grinding for hours to get pages for the Stranglethorn book? At least with FFXIV, the narrative is well told, well paced (2.0 even is after they overhauled it), and the writers clearly gave a shit about it. Unlike WoW where the story is pitiful, insulting, routinely spits on long time lore fans faces, and I could go on.

FFXIV is what WoW used to be. A good game. I would love nothing more than to see WoW return to that level of quality, but with the current leadership and player base who will accept any and all trash (like you seem to be), that won't be happening.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Lol both quests are awful in both mmo's.

Story wise, I can't agree.

Gameplay wise? Been an issue since MMOs were born. Doesn't matter the MMO, the actual gameplay requirements tend to be mindless and boring.

Really wish that we could get some more quests that are entirely reliant on exploration and not simply being told to go to glowy spot to kill x number of monsters/pick up x amount of items/talk to x npc. Though I guess this can also be seen as an issue across almost any game that utilizes quests.

Kenpachii

Story wise, I can't agree.

Gameplay wise? Been an issue since MMOs were born. Doesn't matter the MMO, the actual gameplay requirements tend to be mindless and boring.

Really wish that we could get some more quests that are entirely reliant on exploration and not simply being told to go to glowy spot to kill x number of monsters/pick up x amount of items/talk to x npc. Though I guess this can also be seen as an issue across almost any game that utilizes quests.

Personally i rather have all quests removed out of mmo's. Guests are a sign of your game lacking in actual gameplay and basically isn't able to carry itself. It's always been filler.

But if mmo's would push quests forwards, what i would like to see is divinity 2 style of quests. The only quests i actually found interesting to follow in a more rpg like games.

Yeah, but you like Assassin Creed Valhalla so I'm pretty comfortable in saying your opinions are questionable at best.

Imagine not liking ac valhalla sucks to be you. AC valhalla quests shit all over mmo quests.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Personally i rather have all quests removed out of mmo's. Guests are a sign of your game lacking in actual gameplay and basically isn't able to carry itself.

But if mmo's would push quests forwards, what i would like to see is divinity 2 style of quests. The only quests i actually found great.

Imagine not liking ac valhalla sucks to be you.

How so? AC Valhalla is filled to the brim with quests, pointless errands, and ways to make you waste your time. If anything, it is the very kind of game you just claimed that can't carry itself.

Top Bottom