• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Isaac Arthur |OT| Science and Futurism!

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I'm sure some people here already watch his videos, but thought it would be nice to have an OT for Isaac Arthar's YouTube channel for folks to congregate and discuss the various topics he covers.

For those who don't know who he is, here's the description straight from his channel:
This channel focuses on exploring concepts in science with an emphasis on futurism and space exploration, along with a healthy dose of science fiction. While we explore many concepts and technologies that are far beyond us now, we try to keep everything inside the bounds of known science or major theories.

He covers his topics with quite a lot of depth while still keeping videos around 30-45 minutes. Moreover, he tries his best to make whatever he talks about as accessible as possible, leaving the heavy math on the sidelines whenever possible unless it's absolutely necessary to convey his point (he also leaves links to white papers and such for the more mathematically savvy, should they wish to delve down some rabbit holes). The guy is clearly quite bright, having gotten his physics degree at age 20, and he has plenty of people helping with research, so these are some very thought out videos.

Generally, he posts a new video every Thursday morning, but there is bonus content from time to time as well.

Anyway, feel free to hop in and start discussing this stuff. For those who are unfamiliar with his content, I'll leave a few of his more popular videos below to check out and get an idea of what to expect.

Civilizations at the End of Time: Iron Stars

Outward Bound: Colonizing Alpha Centauri

Fermi Paradox Great Filters: Space and Time

Megastructures: Matrioshka Brains

The Kardashev Scale

Also, here's the most recent video (Things Which Will Never Exist). I'll update the thread with new posts about whatever they put up as they happen in the future.

Mirror XT8

Neo Member
This guy knows jack about Post scarcity economy and straight up fabricates a story to fit his narative. unsubscrribed a while ago.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
He's always chill with his presentation style. His more recent content leans heavily on the side of "let's take cool far-flung sci-fi concepts you might have seen in a videogame or read in a book and talk about how it might be feasible", but his older videos talked a lot more about near-future possible advancements, which was even more interesting to me.

I was introduced to his channel by a GAFer, but I don't remember who in particular. So, shoutout to whoever's post I saw some time last year. 🍻

Sereniel

Eugene M. Levin in Dynamic Analysis of Space Tether Missions already proved that Orbital Rings are not possible. So i don't know why he and his fans still talk about it.

I watched a lot of his stuff a couple of months ago. Most of it seems pretty much in the realms of fantasy to me.
And his pronunciation of words his sometimes so freaky I don't understand anything he is saying as a non native speaker.

Last edited:
Top Bottom