• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Isamu Kamikokuryo, Art directing Final Fantasy (Archipel)

sublimit

Banned

Isamu Kamikokuryo is a veteran art director, who has worked at Square Enix for 18 years on the Final Fantasy series, starting with Final Fantasy X all the way up to Final Fantasy XV, before turning freelance in 2017.
He told us more about the art director position in the Japanese game industry, as we explored some surreal places that inspired him through his career.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Square devs should have pushed for Yoshida to do the art for all Final Fantasy after Tactics (chibi or not). Imagine we kept getting games iterating on Vagrant Story, not even just for FF, that shit was straight awesome on the level of Metal Gear Solid but didn't enjoy the same influence. FFXII was good but not as pure a vision.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I can't believe he recently had a major artist credit on Paper Mario: The Origami King.

Also yes Vagrant Story is a truly visually impressive game & the story/translation is top notch as well.

sublimit

Banned
Square devs should have pushed for Matsuno to do the art for all Final Fantasy after Tactics (chibi or not). Imagine we kept getting games iterating on Vagrant Story, not even just for FF, that shit was straight awesome on the level of Metal Gear Solid but didn't enjoy the same influence. FFXII was good but not as pure a vision.
Matsuno is a writer,game designer and a game director but not an artist. You mean Akihiko Yoshida which he did get to work on more FF games after FF Tactics like FFXII and FFXIV as well as some spin-offs.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Matsuno is a writer,game designer and a game director but not an artist. You mean Akihiko Yoshida which he did get to work on more FF games after FF Tactics like FFXII and FFXIV as well as some spin-offs.
Duh, yeah, brainfart. I even googled to make sure I got it right but matsuno vagrant did return results since he was part of the team so I was like that's it, haha xD

Although we could do without the hanging butt cheeks of Ashley Riot and some other of his more peculiar designs that are akin to other FF artist weirdness, heh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom