• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ISIS in talks with al Qaeda on 'possible alliance'

Status
Not open for further replies.
The leader of so-called 'Islamic State' (IS) has spoken to al Qaeda about a 'possible alliance,' according to Iraqi Vice President Ayad Allawi. The talks come as Iraqi troops close in on IS fighters in the city of Mosul.

Allawi told the Reuters news agency in an interview on Monday that he had the information from Iraqi and regional contacts knowledgeable about Iraq that "the discussion has started now."

"There are discussions and dialogue between messengers representing [IS leader Abu Bakr] Baghdadi and representing [the head of al Qaeda, Ayman] al Zawahiri," he said.

It is unclear how the two groups would work together, Allawi said.

http://m.dw.com/en/is-in-talks-with-al-qaeda-on-possible-alliance-report/a-38458106

unifying the world one terror group at a time. seems like they would do this because they are getting backed against a wall. numbers lessening. funds dwindling.

Luschient

ZJnQjOI.gif

RPGCrazied

We have the wrong President when this kind of stuff is happening. Trump is accelerating this, believe it or not.

unifying the world one terror group at a time. seems like they would do this because they are getting backed against a wall. numbers lessening. funds dwindling.

This is probably the reason.

We have the wrong President when this kind of stuff is happening. Trump is accelerating this, believe it or not.

You mean accelerating the fact that ISIS is actually needing to team up with Al Qaeda in order to stay relevant? If that is so, I would agree.

kswiston

Whatever, it's not like this would be something new. They were already unified before ISIL split.

Why would al Qaeda want to join with someone who has declared himself the Caliph of all muslims though? Seems pretty clear who would be expected to be the junior partner in that alliance.

ironcreed

Banned
I have an idea! Let's drop even more bombs and make the folks in the Middle East hate our guts even more! We are fighting what we help create.

The Pope

Look I agree the Trump is aln abhorrent person but please Trump's administration cant to anything right for some people. I am sorry but some of you cannot be taken seriously and need to seek help. It is absoluely comical.

This would have probably happened under a Clinton as well. I dont think Trump deserves credit for this.

This is potentially a good thing. Nusra have not been getting it AS bad as ISIS - now they will.

I can't remember how my taxes are funding these guys again - is it through the CIA, State Department, or Army? I always get my factions mixed up.

I thought al Qaeda hated these guys?
ISIS was originally the Al Qaeda branch in Iraq (they had a different name back then) which later became independent and cut ties to the mother organization and transformed into ISIS when the situation in Syria escalated and they realized they could make easy land grabs with the forces they had available in Iraq and massively increase their global support (both in volunteers coming to fight for them and Saudi money) and significance that way.

They are made of the same wood, even if until lately Al Qaeda claimed that Daesh's actions are too radical and counter productive (e.g. targeting Shia and Sunni civilians that have nothing to do with the power struggle in Iraw).

I really recommend watching this video, it tells you everything you need to know how ISIS came into existence and the reasons why they became so strong in the first place.

Madness

So two terror organizations that are almost irrelevant with zero global reach want to ally? People keep thinking ISIS is a threat, but only 'culturally'. They have been effectively neutralized in Syria and Iraq, they have little funding coming from Saudi Arabia and others. Most people who claim to belong to them don't really do so or get orders from them and all these attacks they claim to try and give themselves legitimacy. Don't get it wrong, islamic radical terrorism is still there and growing and lone wolves pose a major threat, but ISIS as an entity has lost all forward momentum. With Assad stepping up his attacks and gaining near total control back, Iraqi's and Kurds pushing them back, nowhere for them to go.

Someone else will eventually fill the vacuum but these two groups are as good as dead.

wildfire

Banned
ISIS was originally the Al Qaeda branch in Iraq (they had a different name back then) which later became independent and cut ties to the mother organization and transformed into ISIS when the situation in Syria escalated and they realized they could make easy land grabs with the forces they had available in Iraq and massively increase their global support (both in volunteers coming to fight for them and Saudi money) and significance that way.

They are made of the same wood, even if until lately Al Qaeda claimed that Daesh's actions are too radical and counter productive (e.g. targeting Shia and Sunni civilians that have nothing to do with the power struggle in Iraw).

I really recommend watching this video, it tells you everything you need to know how ISIS came into existence and the reasons why they became so strong in the first place.

That's not accurate. The bulk of ISIS came from former Saddam regime soldiers who were left twisting in the wind after we failed to consolidate them quickly into the new Iraqi regime. Their military training and expertise is what allowed the former Al Queda defectors to suddenly become a powerhouse in that region.

The merger of such different groups of people makes ISIS a very different group from the mainstream Al Queda members.

ty_hot

This is what I've been reading for the last months / weeks / days.
1- Russia backs Assad, and they start destroying the terrorist groups in syria
2- Trump attacks Assad

How can you guys come to this conclusion:
3- Trump is responsible for the terrorist groups needing to regroup because they are losing

H O W

The USA are not happy if the Terrorist groups are destroyed AND Assad stays in power. They main reason they are there is to kick Assad's ass. This, unfortunately, means that their main objective is not destroying the terrorists and the 'not so radical' oppositionists, at least while Assad is in power.

Trump was hated by 11 out of 10 gaffers until 2 weeks ago. Now he attacks Assad, he drops a huge bomb somewhere else, moves closer to NK to press them with the navy/military. He is now suddenly a good president for some, and if anything good happens anywhere (that is war related) it is magically because of him.

btw, I am not saying anything about Assad being a saint, I am just impressed at the logic of all this (none). The war machine exists because people do love it, and it wont stop anytime soon.

This is what I've been reading for the last months / weeks / days.
1- Russia backs Assad, and they start destroying the terrorist groups in syria
2- Trump attacks Assad

How can you guys come to this conclusion:
3- Trump is responsible for the terrorist groups needing to regroup because they are losing

H O W

The USA are not happy if the Terrorist groups are destroyed AND Assad stays in power. They main reason they are there is to kick Assad's ass. This, unfortunately, means that their main objective is not destroying the terrorists and the 'not so radical' oppositionists, at least while Assad is in power.

Trump was hated by 11 out of 10 gaffers until 2 weeks ago. Now he attacks Assad, he drops a huge bomb somewhere else, moves closer to NK to press them with the navy/military. He is now suddenly a good president for some, and if anything good happens anywhere (that is war related) it is magically because of him.

btw, I am not saying anything about Assad being a saint, I am just impressed at the logic of all this (none). The war machine exists because people do love it, and it wont stop anytime soon.
Nah he's still a terrible president.

Pedrito

I doubt the merger would be approved by the competition authorities. ISIS would have to get rid of its Europe branch or we'd get close to a monopoly now that IRA and ETA have left the business of blowing stuff up.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
To the hard right, and Trumpets they are just all brown people to bomb.

I wasn't going to put it so bluntly but yeah. Nobody cares about their history or politics they're all just terrorists and have been lumped together already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom