• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Isn't it kind of weird that The Penguin is so famous? (Batman)

DeathyBoy

Banned
f9f87a43cd0ec6f8583ac062fe8b8fe2

You must wait until the day he makes Kryptonian mustard. Superman sends one of theirs to Arkham, he sends one of Superman's to the morgue.

That's the condiment way.

HotHamBoy

Now that's a good old fashioned first post and done.

Burgess Meredith made the Penguin a household name in the Adam West series. All other portrayals and interpretations linger in Meredith's shadow.

Meredith did more of interest in two minutes with his cigarette holder in any random episode than DeVito and Burton managed in all of Batman Returns put together.

His "Wanh Wanh Wanh!" noises were iconic.

He also brought the insult "dunderhead" to my attention.

caliph95

Throwing shade at these villains SMH.

Flash's best villain is a guy with a cold gun. Any villain can work if the time is put into them properly. Carpenter just has to crucify Batman on top of GCPD once to be iconic.
image.php

Sure Deathy
Also to be fair to cold
Code:
[IMG]https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/6/65/Captain_Cold_0032.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121110091542[/IMG][IMG]https://comicnewbies.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/how-captain-cold-defeated-johnny-quick.jpg?w=620&h=702[/IMG][IMG]https://comicnewbies.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/how-captain-cold-defeated-johnny-quick-2.jpg?w=620&h=625[/IMG]

caliph95

rgpneoaievy4akiw7ly7.jpg

For bonus points, if you reverse image search this Google thinks he's Calendar Man.

Lmao.

Poor Carpenter.
Tbf
tumblr_n9dynrD6S91th8wa2o7_1280.jpg

Also she is the greatest of batman villains
Code:
[IMG]https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/113509/2338192-aa.png[/IMG][IMG]https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/5/51/Carpenter.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140930222942[/IMG]

HotHamBoy

Maybe it's because I'm 30 but I have no idea who Burgess Meredith even was before clicking this thread. IMO it's Batman Returns who made the Penguin iconic.

Then you have a serious cultural blindspot.

Go watch Batman 66 and The Twilight Zone, son.

I'm 32. I used to watch the 60's Batman all the time.

Same, I was born in '85 and I've been watching Batman 66 for years.

It is a person's personal responsibility to expose themselves to classic entertainment, IMO. Seek it out and learn how the modern world has been shaped by what came before it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LT1JKN2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

All 120 episodes of Batman '66 for $55. Come on.

91XRyjjsUkL._SY679_.jpg

The show continues to endure and be appreciated by new audiences.

Just this February Stern shipped the new Batman '66 pinball tables.

batman66a.jpg

Maredith's Penguin is even controlling the center-piece playfield toy!

21487-batman-66-premium-crane.jpg

RobbieNick

Now that's a good old fashioned first post and done.

Burgess Meredith made the Penguin a household name in the Adam West series. All other portrayals and interpretations linger in Meredith's shadow.

Meredith did more of interest in two minutes with his cigarette holder in any random episode than DeVito and Burton managed in all of Batman Returns put together.

Thanks. And even Meredith's version can be a bit sadistic. Look at this clip. (The way they get out of it is incredibly stupid though. Also, there's an audio boost when the next parts starts so don't have it too loud.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r2kJwReENo

Is it any weirder than having the face of video games be a fat Italian plumber? Or four pizza loving turtles trained in martial arts by a sewer rat? There's a ton of stuff from childhood if you think too much about why none of it makes sense you'll just be left wondering how it became popular in the first place, let alone stood the test of time.

HotHamBoy

Is it any weirder than having the face of video games be a fat Italian plumber? Or four pizza loving turtles trained in martial arts by a sewer rat? There's a ton of stuff from childhood if you think too much about why none of it makes sense you'll just be left wondering how it became popular in the first place, let alone stood the test of time.

Actually, the face of video games is Pac-Man.

And turtles who are teenagers AND ninjas that eat pizza sells itself.

Platy

He is one of the most famous BECAUSE he was being used a lot. Hell, the last page is all about the condiment king because of how much spotlight he and Orca received in LEGO Batman, not because they are good villains.

Personally my favorite weird villain is the eraser.

It is like how NOBODY knows any WW villain and basically the only X-Men villain they know is Magneto

He is one of the most famous BECAUSE he was being used a lot. Hell, the last page is all about the condiment king because of how much spotlight he and Orca received in LEGO Batman, not because they are good villains.

It is like how NOBODY knows any WW villain and basically the only X-Men villain they know is Magneto

Pretty sure Condiment King is mostly known for his appearance in TAS, not his two-second cameo in Lego Batman :p

emalord

I'm not in comics, have almost zero culture in that sense, if you ask me to name a Batman villain I'll name Jocker as first but if you insist Penguin would come second.
Probably because I grew on Tim Burton's movies and I have zero culture in the brand

DeathyBoy

Banned

Likely true. I had people yelling "what the fuck is Hellboy doing there?" in The Avengers Thanos stinger.

I'm not in comics, have almost zero culture in that sense, if you ask me to name a Batman villain I'll name Jocker as first but if you insist Penguin would come second.
Probably because I grew on Tim Burton's movies and I have zero culture in the brand

Jocker sounds like a Spiderman villain.

ElFly

Penguin is the best because he's not crazy or mentally whacked like the other nutjobs.

Penguin is a crinimnal mastermind and knows how to box

I've always loved the idea of the penguin being a capable boxer, who then retires from crime and starts a boxing gym

Nev

Banned
And now, in the more recent Telltale Games series, he's been reimagined as a handsome, slightly eccentric childhood friend of Bruce Wayne.

Ew. Thanks for saving me the time with that game.

Anyways, I guess he's famous because he's a Batman villain, and these are probably the best villains in comics. They have great designs,clear distinctions and they're very charismatic.

I don't see where's the weirdness.

Cirion

Banned
Non-Stop insanity and megalomanical super villain plans can get old very fast, as I got completely sick and tired of the nonstop Joker insanity in the Arkham games. Facing a sane opponent with relatable goals can be refreshing and interesting, and can also help to explore more grounded themes that relate more to real world issues. That's why I wish that Batman Begins would have taken more time to explore the socioeconomic structure of Gotham and its corruption and why people like Carmine Falcone come out on top, instead of bringing in the usual "Destroy city"- supervillain plot in the second half.

The Gotham (TV Show) Penguin actually annoys me. He just bumbles around, has no class and is so blatantly full of shit and lies that it is in question why anyone listens to this guy or even actively follows him. Danny DeVito wasn't much better though, nowadays he probably would be played by Johnny Depp. A Penguin done right could explore a lot of social themes about the desire to move upwards, the need for ruthnessless and corruption to reach the top of the rich and influential class, etc.

noquarter

Burgess Meredith. You're not going back far enough.
What I thought from the thread title.

His laugh is what I always think of when I think of the Penguin.
Maybe it's because I'm 30 but I have no idea who Burgess Meredith even was before clicking this thread. IMO it's Batman Returns who made the Penguin iconic.
I'm 35 and remember watching the show on TV in the 80s after school. Didn't even realize it was reruns, really thought that everything was airing for the first time.

It is a good show if you embrace it. As with anything superhero related you could knock it for a lot of stuff, but the way the show portrayed all the villains is pretty good. There is a lot of cheese though.

Honestly, the main conclusion I draw - especially reinforced by the posts on the last few pages - is that the Penguin, as a character in the Batman, is incredibly versatile and applicable as a storytelling device.

Particularly as time has gone on, and the Bat's other foes have been increasingly defined by their gimmicks in terms of their outright motivation and modus operandi, the Penguin maintains a careful balance of being visually and stylistically distinctive, while still being... almost 'generic' enough that he can be used for pretty much any archetypal Batman story and it'll make some sense. Want a run of the mill heist to foil? Penguin's always up to steal some more cash. Want some crazed scheme that could kill thousands? Hey, he likes ransom money too. Need someone to lead an army of thugs? He's the kind of guy who could actually pay some goons. Want him to be morally ambiguous, potentially ally or foe? Just say he's trying to run the Iceberg Lounge as a legitimate enterprise, and happens to hear things through the grapevine. Want to write a villain tragedy piece? Just remind people his family went from riches to destitution, or that despite having some of the best odds of normality among the rogues gallery, he just can't help himself. Need a villain with restraint? He's too classy to cross the line. Want someone truly depraved? Well, you know what they say about the tastes of the upper class.

The Joker may be Batman's most iconic - arguably greatest - villain, but I would wager that the Penguin is perhaps the character that is most characteristically a 'Batman villain'.

Nordicus

Ew. Thanks for saving me the time with that game.
Actually the Telltale version is quite neat.

He acts nice in front of Bruce while he's still a street level thug, but the moment he gets his hands on some power, through fraud, collusion with a cult, and at Bruce's expense of course, he shows just how incredibly fucking spiteful he is.

Also, his Penguin alias is him wearing a Payday style suit and mask, which I like because it allows him more to be an incredibly public figure as Oswald and Penguin

hJinKyx.png

I love Burton's grotesque and psychotic Penguin. Devito seems like he had a lot of fun with the role ("I played this stinkin city like a harp from Hell, gha~ha~haa!") Then again, I love Burton's entire twisted vision of the Batman brand. I wish there would have been more.

Just by coincidence, I was listening to this song and in the comments someone mentioned the voice of the Penguin

And I thought to myself "yea, must be joking around since TAS Penguin does sound like Paul Williams, I wonder who really voiced Penguin"

And then I looked it up

Oh my god

How did I not know

I'd like to see more stories where it ends up the Penguin was the surprise mastermind behind it all. I don't really read comics but I feel like in almost all his prominent appearances in movies, cartoons, etc. he's known to be the guy behind his schemes early on, revealed to the audience at least. I want an old-fashioned Batman mystery that ultimately leads to the Penguin, maybe even pitting other villains against each other along the way as red herrings.

For all the talk in this thread about how cunning he is and how he can orchestrate things, he's usually featured front and center in a smirking, "you can't prove it was me" kind of way. I want to wonder whodunit and gain some respect for his character in the end.

The Penguin is one of my favorite villians. The guy doesn't need a shtick; he's just some self-centered rich dude whose motivations revolve around making more money and revenge.

Also Telltale's Penguin is a travesty.

Top Bottom