• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Isn't It Weird Elizabeth Warren Kept Her First Husband's Last Name?

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
So this morning I saw some thing about Warren giving a sob story about how she had to struggle as a mother.

I thought "Wait, wasn't she basically a stay at home mom for several years while her husband made the money?"

So I did some basic Googling to find out more. Indeed, her first husband was an engineer for IBM & NASA. I can't imagine those were low paying positions.

Also there was this disturbing revelation:
According to her book, A Fighting Chance, Warren first dated Jim when she was 13 years old and he was 17 years old. They broke up, but then rekindled their romance later on, and when he asked her to marry him when she was 19 years old, she accepted. Warren wrote in her book, “I was amazed — amazed and grateful — that he had chosen me. I said yes in a nanosecond.”
ew.... that's kind of icky.

then i realized, wait a minute, they aren't married anymore. she is married to a guy named Bruce Mann.

yet she still has her first husband's last name

:pie_thinking:

isn't that... kind of fucking weird? she should be called Elizabeth Mann.

or is that too "off brand" for a wanna be feminist hero?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jinzo Prime

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
ew.... that's kind of icky.
A teen and a slightly older teen having a relationship is icky? I have very bad news for you...

idk why she kept her first husband's name. It could be that she didn't want to go through the hassle of changing all of her info, or that she was already well known by Warren at that point.

drganon

Sep 20, 2019
I could understand keeping the same last name if you got divorced after a long time and never remarried. But once you remarry, go with the new guys last name or go back to your maiden name at least. But keeping the first guys last name? That's kinda weird.

Nov 17, 2012
Ohio
Was she already in politics at that point? I could imagine in a very public job where everybody know you by your last name it would be weird to suddenly have a new name after you built up recognition with the previous name.

Reactions: Jinzo Prime

Weilthain

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2013
wanted to keep her brand recognition probably, changing names would be a negative.

poor husband though 😂

Reactions: TheContact

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
Was she already in politics at that point? I could imagine in a very public job where everybody know you by your last name it would be weird to suddenly have a new name after you built up recognition with the previous name.
from wikipedia:
Warren's first foray into public policy began in 1995
In 1970, after obtaining a degree in speech pathology and audiology, but before enrolling in law school, Warren taught children with disabilities for a year in a public school. During law school, Warren worked as a summer associate at Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft. After she received her J.D. and passed the bar examination, she decided to offer legal services from home, writing wills and doing real estate closings.

In the late 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, Warren taught law at several American universities while researching issues related to bankruptcy and middle-class personal finance. She became involved with public work in bankruptcy regulation and consumer protection in the mid-1990s.
maybe she needed to keep the name as she worked from home writing wills & doing real estate closings

Last edited:

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
Yeah that's weird. Keeping the name of someone you divorced 40 years ago is definitely odd. It would make more sense to go back to your maiden name, or to take your spouses name.

I'm guessing it was done to have the best sounding name for politics? Warren vs. Herring or Mann. Definitely odd.

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
The whole "stay at home mom" thing was full of so much made-up nonsense. She's all nonsense

Last edited:

Durask

Feb 6, 2012
She's a pathological liar.
TBH plenty of people like that around - people who just lie about everything.

Reactions: johntown

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Warren sounds more native American I guess.

Ya super weired. She divorced the first guy right? He didn't die? If she was widowed I can understand, but if you get a divorce why keep that persons last name?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Maybe the name helped add to her privilege/opportunity count with all others.

HarryKS

Jan 24, 2010
Probably easier to carry than Pocahontas. Have to admit it's slightly antiquated.

Greedings

May 23, 2016
A teen and a slightly older teen having a relationship is icky? I have very bad news for you...

idk why she kept her first husband's name. It could be that she didn't want to go through the hassle of changing all of her info, or that she was already well known by Warren at that point.
Do you remember being 17? 4 years difference at 17 is HUGE. Same with 19 and 15.
When I was 19 I was in University. Kids in school were...well...kids. I can't imagine even looking at a 13 year old when I was 17.

Regarding the name, most likely due to that she was known. Some people in science keep their last name after a divorce because it's maintains continuity with their publications. It's not so weird.

PkunkFury

Jun 17, 2004
USA
Regarding the name, most likely due to that she was known. Some people in science keep their last name after a divorce because it's maintains continuity with their publications. It's not so weird.
This

I know I number of published women who have kept their maiden name after marriage or who have kept their husband's name after divorce because they are published under that name. In such cases, abandoning the name means losing recognition for one's own accomplishments

I also know a divorced woman who kept her husband's name because their children have that name and she did not want to have a different last name than her children, which seems like it could also have been relevant in Warren's case. This is less confusing for young children, helps them identify with both parents, and is less confusing for those who interact with the children and the mother (kid's friends assuming you are "Miss Smith", etc.)

There's nothing weird about it, especially if the divorce is amicable (which also appears to be applicable in Warren's case)

Last edited:
Reactions: Greedings

johntown

Dec 27, 2010
East Coast
Considering she claimed to be Native American this news really does not surprise me. Maybe she looked on Ancestry.com and saw lots of Native American ppl with the last name Warren?

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
Do you remember being 17? 4 years difference at 17 is HUGE. Same with 19 and 15.
When I was 19 I was in University. Kids in school were...well...kids. I can't imagine even looking at a 13 year old when I was 17.
I remember having plenty of friends in Highschool in our junior and senior year dating freshman. No one thought anything of it.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
yeah you can have mixed age friends, nothing wrong with that. but this isn't friends, they said "dating". anyone "dating" a 13 yo is suspect IMO no matter how old they are. that's a kid. that's supremely fucked up.

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
yeah you can have mixed age friends, nothing wrong with that. but this isn't friends, they said "dating". anyone "dating" a 13 yo is suspect IMO no matter how old they are. that's a kid. that's supremely fucked up.
So a 14yo dating a 13yo is "suspect"? Where exactly do you draw the line of what's acceptable and what's creepy?

Greedings

May 23, 2016
I remember having plenty of friends in Highschool in our junior and senior year dating freshman. No one thought anything of it.
That’s weird mate. My friends would have called me a pedo if I was looking at 13 year olds.

Dec 15, 2011
Where exactly do you draw the line of what's acceptable and what's creepy?
One thing I find creepy is a poster who repeatedly appears in threads where a topic concerns underage relationships which raise questions and keeps attempting to normalise it and berate anyone asking questions of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: #Phonepunk#

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
One thing I find creepy is a poster who repeatedly appears in threads where a topic concerns underage relationships which raise questions and keeps attempting to normalise it and berate anyone asking questions of it.
Both parties where underage, soooo. Also, repeatedly? As far as I can recall this is, at most, the second time I've commented on anything like this here.

Greedings

May 23, 2016
Both parties where underage, soooo. Also, repeatedly? As far as I can recall this is, at most, the second time I've commented on anything like this here.
15 and 19. 19 is not underage. Guy was one of those pedos losers who couldn't find a girl in university so hung out around school playgrounds.

Edit: I don't get why Pro-Warren people would be defending this. She's innocent in this matter. Her ex-husband is the fucked up one.

Last edited:

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
15 and 19. 19 is not underage. Guy was one of those pedos losers who couldn't find a girl in university so hung out around school playgrounds.

Edit: I don't get why Pro-Warren people would be defending this. She's innocent in this matter. Her ex-husband is the fucked up one.
They reconnected when SHE was 19, which would make him 23. At least read the story.

I'm not even pro Warren at this point, this is just another weird way to attack her or call something about her personality into question. Most people here aren't even focusing on the age thing, they are focusing on what name she chose.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
dude it's not an "attack" it's just weird. as in i don't know any people who have done this in my life. i know tons of divorced people. my parents got divorced. my mom changed her name as soon as she remarried. it's pretty normal to do that!

keeping your ex husband's last name as you marry a new person... yeah that's weird!

Last edited:

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
keeping your ex husband's last name as you marry a new person... yeah that's weird!
It's not weird IF you're well known by a particular name. My mother for example had her name in movie credits, so she didn't change her name when she got married.

Reactions: #Phonepunk#