• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Isn't MS and Sony essentially slowly killing HDD?

CJY

Banned
I think we're a long way out from the cost per GB of NAND chips matching HD platters, so HDD will still have their uses like in certain types of servers. Could be 10-15 years before HDDs become rare.

Next gen is likely to be the tipping point for SSDs in the consumer space though. It's practically already there.

Last edited:

Bubba77

I havent had a standard HD in my PC for a while. Ive had SSDs for many years as my main drive, but now they are so cheap I have them as storage drives as well.(i dont need a ton of space). My current PC has a 2TB NVME main and 2TB NVME storage. no wires which is great! So looking forward to my next xbox and ps to have caught up.

I'm okay with that. Every experience I've had with an SSD compared to an HDD has been vastly superior. My PC loads up incredibly fast, and some of the games I've installed on my SSDs have come to near instantaneous load times when I'm used to my PS4 or Xbox taking far, far longer to start the same game up (notably - Rainbow Six Siege).

Stuart360

A lot of PC games reccomend SSD's these days. I only install games to my SSD's, and use my HDD for storage. If its an old game i will install to my HDD, but anything from the last few years, it has to be SSD.

Yes the message is loud and clear.

I love that both MS and Sony are pushing this.

Ever since putting a 1TB Samsung SSD into my PS4 Pro, i no longer have to wait almost 2 minutes to boot up Division 2. I'm in the game in less than 20 seconds. Fast travelling takes me 5 seconds. Usually it would take round half a minute or more to fast travel in the game on my old stock HDD.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Um, PC gamers (and non gamers, the speed is great for everything) already having upgraded is the reason enough of these are sold to cut the manufacturing costs and make them cheap for consumers to buy and finally viable for consoles lttp :d

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

PC gamers playing their games off a HDD are doing it wrong or have an old pc that isn't really up to the task for playing the latest and greatest to being with (particularly next gen console ports). At the very least, most would have a SSHD.

LordOfChaos

I doubt it'll move that fast, PC games have to address a lot of different hardware and SSD-only will self limit sales, which creates a chicken and egg thing where the PC market will move slowly towards this. So long as cross platform games have to consider PC (and the XBO/X) it'll be a slow move.

SonGoku

HDD its killing itself, even on cheap $300 laptops its evident how much of a bottleneck it is bringing the whole system down
Cheap laptops starting to come with SSDs by default.

HDD are still king for storage as complement to system SSD drives.
I doubt it'll move that fast, PC games have to address a lot of different hardware and SSD-only will self limit sales, which creates a chicken and egg thing where the PC market will move slowly towards this. So long as cross platform games have to consider PC (and the XBO/X) it'll be a slow move.
I think SSDs are already becoming standard with every new computer sold even cheap ones

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Prices coming down have been hurting HDD.

The drive that is going in the PS5 will be expensive because of its speed but SSD drives have fallen a lot.

I just bought a 1TB SSD for my laptop for $100

LordOfChaos

I think SSDs are already becoming standard with every new computer sold even cheap ones

As system drives absolutely, but it'll take more time for the bulk of gaming rigs out there to upgrade their bulk game storage drives to SSDs.

I'm thinking more like mid-end 9th generation than start of, so eventually yes, but peoples hard drives aren't in immediate threat of not being able to run games any time soon I should think.

Mokus

The HDD already was slowly replaced by SSD in the PC gaming space. The next gen consoles exclusive SSD usage for games, only sped it up.

SonGoku

As system drives absolutely, but it'll take more time for the bulk of gaming rigs out there to upgrade their bulk game storage drives to SSDs.

I'm thinking more like mid-end 9th generation than start of, so eventually yes, but peoples hard drives aren't in immediate threat of not being able to run games any time soon I should think.
Anyone with a decent rig has at least a Samsung EVO, keep games you play in system drive

V4skunk

Banned
I've used them for years now.
When they first came out I only used ssd to boot windows and have 2 games max installed.
Every thing else was on hdd.
These days every thing is installed to my ssd. Have not had a hdd for 4 years.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
PC replaced HDD with SSD 7 - 10 years ago. Now, it wasn't NVME, but prior gen SSD's have been on par when it comes to cost for a while now. With the exception of when there was that whole tidal wave thing that caused SSD's to skyrocket in price.

Last edited:
PC replaced HDD with SSD 7 - 10 years ago. Now, it wasn't NVME, but prior gen SSD's have been on par when it comes to cost for a while now. With the exception of when there was that whole tidal wave thing that caused SSD's to skyrocket in price.
What parallel do you live in? and where is the bridge to said universe?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
HDD will be phased out eventually. Just a matter of when.

When I bought my laptop last year, there were tons of models that had SSD drives, or a combo of having an HDD and also a small SSD too.

I'm sure models now skew SSD even more.

Jamesie

Neo Member
My media goes on HDD, boot drives and installed games go to SSD - I'm sure most PC gamers do.

Currently in my country a 1TB HDD costs about a 3rd of a 1TB SSD, moving up to higher capacities makes the HDD even cheaper so until the price comes down enough for the higher capacity SSD's I'll always have a mix of HDD's in my system and for general media storage/backups.

Alphagear

PCs have been doing it long before MS or Sony. HDD are gonna be a thing of the past no different to the DVD/BLURAY scenario. No person should be using HDD for gaming especially on PC. We are stuck with them on current gen consoles for now..

sdrawkcab

Banned
If next gen games can only be played with a capable SSD doesn't that mean all PC gamers trying to play next gen games are going to need to upgrade? Thus this is the gen where HDD decline.
HDDs were already on their way out.

And no, this won't "kill" them, by any means. PC games that use HDDs will still be made and many will still be able to be played on HDD's...loading times will just be a lot longer, is all. Most high-end and mid-range gaming rigs use SSDs regardless. HDDs are mostly used these days on low-end machines and as back-up data drives, which they'll continued to be used for in that way for a long time, because they're cheap and relatively reliable when used backing up data. Both corporate and consumer use will be mostly focused on data back-up, until cheaper means of backing up data is created or ushered in.

Kacho

Gold Member
HDD is good for storage and will continue to be the most affordable solution.

For gaming, we should only be using SSD, so it’s about damn time it becomes the standard.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yes because SSD's didn't exist until right now OP.
I specifically built a PC for Diablo 3 back in 2012 and SSD's were a bit more expensive than HDD's. Then the tidal wave hit and SSD's skyrocketed for the year.
PCs have been doing it long before MS or Sony. HDD are gonna be a thing of the past no different to the DVD/BLURAY scenario. No person should be using HDD for gaming especially on PC. We are stuck with them on current gen consoles for now..
SSD gaming on PC only valid when consoles do it. lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Who said that? Quite the opposite. PCs have validated SSD gaming hence why next gen consoles will feature SSD. HDD are still fine for storage purposes.
That's what I mean (but maybe worded wrong).

SSD gaming is only important to some gamers when consoles get around to to doing it. If not, SSD is pointless.

Alphagear

That's what I mean (but maybe worded wrong).

SSD gaming is only important to some gamers when consoles get around to to doing it. If not, SSD is pointless.
You are overthinking my post. I honestly dont see the point you are making. I have been using SSD for gaming on PC since these current gen of consoles were released and never looked back. Same applis to loading windows off SSD. Unfortunately console gamers were stuck with them this gen and its time to move on.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Yes the message is loud and clear.

I love that both MS and Sony are pushing this.

Ever since putting a 1TB Samsung SSD into my PS4 Pro, i no longer have to wait almost 2 minutes to boot up Division 2. I'm in the game in less than 20 seconds. Fast travelling takes me 5 seconds. Usually it would take round half a minute or more to fast travel in the game on my old stock HDD.
2 minutes to 20 seconds?? Which one did you buy?

sendit

HDD is not fine for any use case. It is a huge bottleneck for everything that relates to computing.

Ascend

HDD is still better for large file storage from a cost perspective. Why would you store video files on an SSD? The speed doesn't really matter for that. Even a 5400 RPM HDD will do fine for storing and flawlessly playing 4K videos.

TaySan

Banned
HDD has been dead on PC for quite some time. Even most pre built PCs come with SSD's nowadays. Good to see consoles follow.

Last edited:
I haven't used an HDD in my PC for anything else than storage for since 2009 when I got my first SSD. It was mind-blowing, and the biggest performance upgrade ever.

Yeah I'd say it's way overdue, I can't believe that anyone would use an HDD as the OS disk. That's easily the first component I'd invest in.

TaySan

Banned
I haven't used an HDD in my PC for anything else than storage for since 2009 when I got my first SSD. It was mind-blowing, and the biggest performance upgrade ever.

Yeah I'd say it's way overdue, I can't believe that anyone would use an HDD as the OS disk. That's easily the first component I'd invest in.
My last and my current PC are SSD only.
My current one has a 1 tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus and a 1tb 970 Evo. More than enough for games.

My last and my current PC are SSD only.
My current one has a 1 tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus and a 1tb 970 Evo. More than enough for games.
Yup! I'd rather even have a small SSD with room for Windows and one game only, than using an HDD anyway. If I had to choose.

420bits

No they won't, HDDs for consumers has been dying for years and will continue to do so.

Then you got the other part that will keep it alive for even longer, storage for enterprisesolutions. You see many afforable 10+tb SSDs?

Top Bottom