• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Isn't that Picross DS coming out this week? Why aren't you people talking about it?

koam

ds_Picross_pkg01boxart_160w.jpg

Intro
Picross rocks. I first found out about picross on the gameboy with mario picross and i remember spending my entire saturday playing that game. Fast forward 10+ years later, the game is coming out on the DS and it looks to be another classic.

What is it?
One part crosswords with numbers, one part sudoku, two parts crack.

Game Info:
Published by: Nintendo
Developed by: Jupiter
Genre: Puzzle
Number of Players: 1-5
Release Date:
US: July 30, 2007
Japan: January 25, 2007
Europe: May 11, 2007
MSRP: $19.99
Recommended Requirements:
Rumble Pak support (sold separate)
Features: Online via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, Multi-card Multiplayer, Single-card Multiplayer, DS Card Save, Downloadable Content, Vibration

How it works
For those of you who don't know what a picross is. It's basically a grid of random size, typically 15x15. You've got numbers on the X axis and numbers on the Y axis. Using these numbers you're supposed to figure out what the pcture in the grid is supposed to be.

409787975_df71a0f5e5.jpg

So let's take the pic above as an example. On the X axis, all the way on the bottom you see 7-2. Basically what this means is that you have 7 boxes to draw in a row.. an undetermined amount of whitespace and then 2 boxes. The tricky part is that the Y axis has to correspond to the X axis.

Rankings watch
82%

Screenshots of the DS game
picross-ds-20070518103111393.jpg

picross-ds-20070518103110784.jpg

picross-ds-20070524030115872.jpg

Free online Picross sites
http://www.thetimmys.com/flash/picross/ (Excellent version)
www.wiipicross.com (Wii Compatible)

Friend Codes

:Motorbass 373761 637824
BGBW 421006 638285
brandonnn 116064 515938

jepense 210552 929814
JonathanEx 296455 127967
meppi 262093 126553

Neo Child 051639 479001
nli10 339401 956281
radjago 004401 591670

Whimsical Phil 498321 934789
jgkspsx 515502 801741
TelemachusD 399538 748778

MikeOxbig 536977 646980
Vex 528387 791955
MiketheBSG 021581 527674

beelzebozo 107481 011019
Tobor 120365 914504
Whimsical Phil's fiancee 279279 708309

Gamecocks625 086006 133273
Slacker 043056 404381
koam (theo) 171905 403900

ChunderMan 073121 172489
SuperPac 081711 098855
Korin (colinp): 378064 145177

achilles: 116071 147834
DavidDayton: 150430 990647
Wild Arms: 378063 - 731295

Green Glowing Goo: 103186 417592
QVT: 463963 313744
btmash: 120366 275460

carpal: 283574 553594
johnyqd: 403834 150939
Bendelvio: 545567 675983

TriangularDuck (Royal) 283575 416895

clav

Oh, so that's how you play Picross.

I played the original a long time ago. Never understood what the hype was about.

Anno

Drag your DS over to a local EBstop if you want a download station demo with a few puzzles on it. There are also innumerable puzzles on the internet if you don't know if you like it or not.

I, for one, will be purchasing it the moment Wednesday morning gets here. From what I've heard there's already a large amount of downloadable content.

Question, though, for anyone who has it. Do the downloads save themselves to the cart, or is a temporary thing?

been playing the japanese release for a while now, awesome game! I know there's so much i'm missing out on due to the language barrier. Can't wait to re-purchase this game all over again!

If you don't have the game yet and have a picross itch, wiipicross.com has a few puzzles.

I've got my copy and want to note that the Japanese players have been thoroughly kicking my ass at WFC play.

radjago

Has it been confirmed that there will be downloadable puzzles in the US verison?

I found the demo puzzles lacking in challenge. Does the full version have more difficult puzzles?

If it's even half the game that Mario's Picross was, I'm there on day 1.

BigFwoosh

I think whenever I heard Picross, I always thought Lacrosse, so I just figured it was one of those weird sports that I never hear about but is popular elsewhere (see: cricket). Looks and sounds strangely addicting though, I may have to check it out.

thomaser

ElectricBlue187 said:

? It's VERY addictive and engaging. I spent the best parts of two weeks going through the "medium"-puzzles alone, and it seriously affected my eating and sleeping. I won't even try the hard puzzles because I know that I need all the time for doing other things. It's such a simple concept and might even seem pointless at first because it starts so easy, but play an hour or two, and you just. can't. stop.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
thomaser said:
but play an hour or two, and you just. can't. stop.
Tell me about it, I only got it yesterday and I sat up last night until 2am playing it. Tired as hell now at work.

I played Picross for the first time yesterday on www.wiipicross.com (notice: don't play it on wii unless you have a big tv or your eyes will pop out, also the cursor on Wii is way too big).
I'm hooked. It's better than sudoku.

If I had a DS I'd buy this game!

I bought the european release some weeks ago and its an awesome, awesome game every DS owner should buy. Really, there are like one billion puzzles, you are going to have fun with Picross DS like forever.

Unison

slaughterking said:
I bought the european release some weeks ago and its an awesome, awesome game every DS owner should buy. Really, there are like one billion puzzles, you are going to have fun with Picross DS like forever.

So true... Picross is one of the best DS games. Everyone should buy it.

Never played picross before, but I'm interested in giving this a shot. I can't be bothered to try free stuff online, so I'll blindly spend whatever it is to get this game next time I see it. :D

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
koam said:
Can you ALWAYS have Free Mode on?

Unfortuantly not.

The single player is split between the two.
The downloadable packs contain lots of normal, a few free.
Custom puzzles have to be set as N or F when made.

:/

Ah well, best puzzle game on DS!

Ahhh, so I take it Free Mode is the equivalent of Wario mode in Picross 2 GB and Super Picross.

Been waiting a long, long time for this.

koam

Didn't think people were interested in the title, you guys want me to edit the first post and turn this into an official thread dealio with friend codes and such?

santouras

yeah picross is awesome. I bought it mainly for my sister who loves those kind of puzzle games (she blitzed through all 100 puzzles in polarium) and she went nuts on it until she completed all the puzzles

Anno

koam said:
Didn't think people were interested in the title, you guys want me to edit the first post and turn this into an official thread dealio with friend codes and such?

Probably should. Easier access to free puzzles = good. There's a competitive multiplayer too, right?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Apparently Hudson's Japan-only Picross game is better? Not sure, can any JGaffer illuminate which is the best version?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
TekunoRobby said:
Apparently Hudson's Japan-only Picross game is better? Not sure, can any JGaffer illuminate which is the best version?

The Japanese version of Picross DS has packs of puzzles from all the past Picross games.. that's gotta ccount for something!

Capndrake

So, what are the downloadable puzzles in the US version? In the European version the only things that have been downloadable since release are Mario's Picross Pack 1 and 2.

Capndrake said:
So, what are the downloadable puzzles in the US version? In the European version the only things that have been downloadable since release are Mario's Picross Pack 1 and 2.
US are getting weekly download packs. Lucky gits.

Baker

Banned
JonathanEx said:
Well, if you want to figure out what the game is and haven't tried it yet, this is a good demo: How to Play: Official Flash Demo

Thanks for that.

I'm an avid Sudoku player, but I never really understood how to get started with Picross. Now I get that it revolves around the same concept of "where things can't go" being just as important as "where things do go."

Definitely buying this after work.

jgkspsx

TekunoRobby said:
Illustlogic something something? I didn't think so. At least this has all the shared puzzles and puzzle packs.

koam

Do the pictures actually look like stuff? I played a version online and the pics didn't look like anything

Gigglepoo

I cannot wait for this game. I play my NDS at work at lot (I like to avoid real work) and am desperate for a new NDS game. I actually got 100% in Kirby's Squeak Squad! I'm playing Honeycomb Beat now (good game) but I don't think it will have the staying power I demand. Hopefully, Picross can fill a void for a few weeks. Are there any other big NDS games coming out in the near future? The next I can think of is Phoenix Wright in September...

Capndrake

Gigglepoo said:
Are there any other big NDS games coming out in the near future? The next I can think of is Phoenix Wright in September...
Freshly Picked - Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, September 14th. Europe only though (Well, JP got it a year ago).

And PW3's been delayed to October if you didn't know yet.

Top Bottom