• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israeli intelligence officials furious after Trump leaks to Russia

Xando

White House caught lying again
Just days before President Donald Trump’s arrival in Tel Aviv, Israeli intelligence officials were shouting at their American counterparts in meetings, furious over news that the U.S. commander-in-chief may have compromised a vital source of information on the Islamic State and possibly Iran, according to a U.S. defense official in military planning.

“To them, it’s horrifying,” the official, who attended the meetings, told Foreign Policy. “Their first question was: What is going on? What is this?”

White House officials are touting Trump’s visit to Israel next week as a chance to show U.S. solidarity with its closest Middle East ally after eight years of friction between former President Barack Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

But behind the public display of harmony, Israeli intelligence officers are angry and alarmed over sensitive information revealed by the U.S. president in a May 10 meeting in the White House with Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov and Ambassador Sergey Kislyak.

Trump divulged classified information gathered by Israel about specific terrorist plotting by the Islamic State. The information reportedly revealed Islamic State advances in bomb-making that could be used to mask an explosive device inside a laptop, and also referenced the city where the unfolding plot was being hatched.

The details Trump spilled likely came from a source that was also useful on Iran’s Revolutionary Guards and its Hezbollah proxies in Syria and Lebanon, which are much higher priorities for Israel, the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said.

“To the Israelis, ISIS is not that big of a concern,” the defense official said. “We have a partner that has done us a favor. They went out of their way to support us in a campaign against ISIS, that they have no real skin in.”

In the first 48 hours after the news broke, the Israelis saw little engagement from the Trump administration on the issue. Instead, the administration remained focused on planning for the president’s visit next week.

“There’s been no collaboration on this issue, or any outreach. But it’s like a PR circus,” the official said.

The revelation that sensitive information may have been passed to Russia, a partner to Iran, was particularly concerning. Israel has become increasingly anxious about Russia’s military cooperation with Iran in support of the Syrian regime, and its growing cyber warfare capabilities.

In Israel, there is fear the compromise of intelligence could damage the country’s interests and even jeopardize lives, the official said.

The Trump administration, however, has denied any intelligence sources or methods were revealed in the president’s talks with the Russians. Trump’s national security advisor, Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster, said the counterterrorism information Trump shared was “wholly appropriate.”

While Israeli intelligence officials were aware of Trump’s limited grasp of military operations and intelligence procedures, they didn’t expect the inexperienced president to play fast and loose with “one of their most sensitive of accesses,” the defense official said.

If the source was lost, it also could affect a U.S.-led military operation to take back Raqqa with American-backed Syrian Kurdish and Arab forces, he said
http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/05/19...ous-over-trumps-loose-lips-russia-iran-syria/

More at the link

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I love that we live in a world where a million smart people will explain to you the complicated method in Trump's madness, when the real answer is that he's just kinda dumb.

In the first 48 hours after the news broke, the Israelis saw little engagement from the Trump administration on the issue. Instead, the administration remained focused on planning for the president’s visit next week.

“There’s been no collaboration on this issue, or any outreach. But it’s like a PR circus,” the official said.

this is crazy to me.

theres an idiot at the helm but youd think the crew would at least try and steer the ship

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Israel was literally the worst ally to spill secrets from. They take their intelligence community super seriously.

I feel that with the Stephen Miller speech about Islam coming up, the Trump Administration is doing everything they can to puppeteer a devastating terrorist attack inside of the United States. I truly believe Trump wants a legacy of being a strongman President under times of war and terror.

Zubz

Banned
Israel was literally the worst ally to spill secrets from. They take their intelligence community super seriously.

I mean, if our IC is at risk of getting compromised (By the Night Trap guy serving as the FBI director, potentially), somebody had to step up to the plate.

BocoDragon

I feel that with the Stephen Miller speech about Islam coming up, the Trump Administration is doing everything they can to puppeteer a devastating terrorist attack inside of the United States. I truly believe Trump wants a legacy of being a strongman President under times of war and terror.
The scary part is that this would be the only obvious path to being considered a successful president at this point.

Yea while I think this is like conspiracy theory levels of crazy you can't discount the possibility with this administration. What a world we live in.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I mean, if our IC is at risk of getting compromised (By the Night Trap guy serving as the FBI director, potentially), somebody had to step up to the plate.

lol Israel isn't mad for the good of the world.

jaxpunk

The scary part is that this would be the only obvious path to being considered a successful president at this point.

No the scary part is that someone felt confident enough to type that out, like it's a real thing. That is basically saying 9/11 was an inside job. Ya know the shit crazy people say.

What's a few dead operatives when the balance of Trump's ego is at stake? It would be really nice to get along with Russia, after all.

giphy.gif

Or, he's just really stupid

Yea while I think this is like conspiracy theory levels of crazy you can't discount the possibility with this administration. What a world we live in.

I haven't broken out the tinfoil yet but I'm starting to really question everything. I know Trump is no mastermind, but those who surround him all have agendas.

How deliciously ironic that the White House loves shouting "BUT WHAT ABOUT LEAKERS THO" as their favorite diversion tactic, while their own fucking president is the one doing the most devastating leaking of all.

It's long past the point where this administration could have the credibility to capitalize on such an attack, and there's no way it could do anything and have it considered being successful. I mean, hell, Bush W had all the cards right in front of him, was massively cheered at first, but his legacy is mostly one of failure.

I would fucking hate to be the poor sod whowas the source. What a fucked up way to go for a person who was risking life and limb, just because of one stupid moron who can't control his fucking mouth.

I haven't broken out the tinfoil yet but I'm starting to really question everything. I know Trump is no mastermind, but those who surround him all have agendas.

But everyone who surronds him is also kind of an idiot, too. I mean, remember when everyone thought that Bannon was the mastermind of everything, was going to gut the Democratic party, and basically cause the entire system to collapse? Now, he pretty much is entirely toothless mainly because he got in a spat with Jared and McMaster.

BocoDragon

It's long past the point where this administration could have the credibility to capitalize on such an attack, and there's no way it could do anything and have it considered being successful. I mean, hell, Bush W had all the cards right in front of him, was massively cheered at first, but his legacy is mostly one of failure.
I don't believe that. I watched America turn a dumb chimp who lost the popular vote and was popularly disliked into a high ratings war president before, I have no doubt they'd do the same with a "protect the borders" would-be strongman.

I don't believe the Trump administration could false flag it or anything.... but if a major terrorist attack happens on its own again: you watch. People will rally beind Trump and lionize him as a great protector, no matter what he does. I remember thinking the world was saner than it was in early 2001 too, but people are little children looking for a daddy when things get scary.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Good thing he's going to talk to great friend of Israel and uncomplicated relationship member, Saudi Arabia...

I don't believe that. I watched America turn a dumb chimp into a high ratings war president before, I have no doubt they'd do the same with a "protect the borders" would-be strongman.

I don't believe the Trump administration could false flag it or anything.... but if a major terrorist attack happens on its own again: you watch. People will rally beind Trump and lionize him as a great protector, no matter what he does. I remember thinking the world was saner than it was in early 2001 too, but people are little children looking for a daddy when things get scary.

This is always brought up in these conversations, and it's sad that you all keep parroting something that is so utterly misinformed. Trump is not even remotely in the same situation as Bush was.

Condom

I don't believe this for a second. The Israeli government isn't stupid.

Note that the US allegedly warned the Israelis and that Israel has solid connections inside the US government. They knew Trump. Maybe they want him away to have other Republicans in charge.

BocoDragon

This is always brought up in these conversations, and it's sad that you all keep parroting something that is so utterly misinformed. Trump is not even remotely in the same situation as Bush was.
What's that... a slight difference in approval rating?

Most of Trump's current disapproval would go out the window assuming he survives literal impeachment long enough to preside over a major terrorist attack.

It isn't even about Trump. It's about American psychology. People rally around the president in times of insecurity.

By compromise a source, it could literally mean killed.

Thanks Donald!

Trump: "I take no responsibility for this, it was the generals, they lost that source. By the way, here's the widow of that brave intelligence source, let's all clap for her. That's amazing, so much clapping, wow, it's almost like I'm up there right now. That's how much clapping that is."

What's that... a slight difference in approval rating?

Most of Trump's current disapproval would go out the window assuming he survives literal impeachment long enough to preside over a major terrorist attack.

It isn't even about Trump. It's about American psychology. People rally around the president in times of insecurity.

Sigh, it's probably not even worth it, because no matter how times this is explained it seems that it always gets repeated later in this same point, but here we go:

It's easy to think of Bush Jr as the hated and mocked President he became, and the shock that came that he managed to, barely, win a second term, but he wasn't always a hated and mocked President. When 9/11 happened, there wasn't a huge opinion about him by the general public yet. Yes, there was bitterness about the election from the left, but there wasn't hatred.

Trump is hated. Look past just his approval ratings, and see all that has transpired. Massive protests against him from day one, a slew of unapologetic hatred and condemnation from anyone remotely siding on the left, and more importantly, Trump has done nothing to remedy that at all. He's gone out of way, if anything, to continuously outrage his opposition. Hell, even within his own party his actual support may be there, but it's tepid and is always on the defensive. Dude has made bitter enemies with the Press, with the opposing party, the IC, and pretty much in and every social group there is outside fundamental Christians. You really think all of that is just going to fade away? You really think all of that is just going to not matter anymore? Not to mention Bush didn't have the baggage of two failed wars, one of which pretty much no one wanted from the beginning anyway.

It's not the same. Context matters. Will there be people who rally behind him? Sure. A lot of red states will beat their chests. But America as a whole? No, you are tone deaf as fuck to what is happening if you honestly think that. If anything, it would just cause even great tensions.

BocoDragon

Sigh, it's probably not even worth it, because no matter how times this is explained it seems that it always gets repeated later in this same point, but here we go:

It's easy to think of Bush Jr as the hated and mocked President he became, and the shock that came that he managed to, barely, win a second term, but he wasn't always a hated and mocked President. When 9/11 happened, there wasn't a huge opinion about him by the general public yet. Yes, there was bitterness about the election from the left, but there wasn't hatred.

Trump is hated. Look past just his approval ratings, and see all that has transpired. Massive protests against him from day one, a slew of unapologetic hatred and condemnation from anyone remotely siding on the left, and more importantly, Trump has done nothing to remedy that at all. He's gone out of way, if anything, to continuously outrage his opposition. Hell, even within his own party his actual support may be there, but it's tepid and is always on the defensive. Dude has made bitter enemies with the Press, with the opposing party, the IC, and pretty much in and every social group there is outside fundamental Christians. You really think all of that is just going to fade away? You really think all of that is just going to not matter anymore? Not to mention Bush didn't have the baggage of two failed wars, one of which pretty much no one wanted from the beginning anyway.

It's not the same. Context matters. Will there be people who rally behind him? Sure. A lot of red states will beat their chests. But America as a whole? No, you are tone deaf as fuck to what is happening if you honestly think that. If anything, it would just cause even great tensions.
This whole "you are tone deaf" stuff just sounds to me like you are talking about not being able to see beyond the current liberal bubble narrative. I know because I'm invested in it as well, but I'm self-critical about it: it sure feels like it's only a matter of time before this Russia stuff builds and Trump is impeached as the most unpopular president and we get a saner President Pence and then things get "back to normal". That's what we all assume right?

But there is no guarantee of this. Trump could easily slip this noose and go on to preside over terrorism/war, and if he does: double digit approval rating increases are a promise. Humans act like this over and over again in history. Find an outgroup enemy sufficiently shocking and the ingroup instinctively rallies around their leader, however unpalatable he seemed before. I'm sure lots of liberals would neverTrump throughout this terrible future scenario, but lots of normal people in the center will flip. "I like that he's strong and clear against the enemy, it's what we need right now".

Like Bush, it probably wouldn't last. But I wouldn't bet against a second term at that point.

Pilgrimzero

Trump: The Day Trump leaked your intel was the biggliest thing to happen in your country. For me it was Tuesday..

Just need a pic of Trump with movie M Bisons hat.

Xando

What are the chances they're angry because their source has already been caught?

Tbh i think if the source had been caught ISIS would have spoken about or showed the execution on videos or something.
Since this seems to be a high level source deep in ISIS they'd probably try to rescue him(her?) for the additional info if there was a fear the source could be compromised.

Darknight

Wait arent republicans always sucking that Isreal dick and all of the sudden they ok with their president totally fucking this Isreali agent?

HAHAHAHA shows you republicans dont give a shit about you unless you are a white, straight, gun loving, jesus preaching asshole.

This whole "you are tone deaf" stuff just sounds to me like you are talking about not being able to see beyond the current liberal bubble narrative. I know because I'm invested in it as well, but I'm self-critical about it: it sure feels like it's only a matter of time before this Russia stuff builds and Trump is impeached as the most unpopular president and we get a saner President Pence and then things get "back to normal". That's what we all assume right?

But there is no guarantee of this. Trump could easily slip this noose and go on to preside over terrorism/war, and if he does: double digit approval rating increases are a promise. Humans act like this over and over again in history. Find an outgroup enemy sufficiently shocking and the ingroup instinctively rallies around their leader, however unpalatable he seemed before. I'm sure lots of liberals would neverTrump throughout this terrible future scenario, but lots of normal people in the center will flip. "I like that he's strong and clear against the enemy, it's what we need right now".

Like Bush, it probably wouldn't last. But I wouldn't bet against a second term at that point.

Alright then, see you

kqoolPL.gif

Top Bottom