• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Issue with ps4 and surround sound

MotherFan

I got a new 5.1 surround sound sytem with a yamaha rx-483 receiver. I hooked the ps4 into the receiver and the video goes from the receiver to the tv. I set the ps4 to output audio through hdmi using pcm. This works great for 5.1 games and shows, but it is having issues with stereo content.

Stereo content is only outputting through the front speakers by default. If I use a dsp setting like sci-fi it can output through the back to some degree. The issue is I want to use pl2 without any other dsp. I can't get to the sur decode dsp to do this while it is set to hdmi it is showing 5 speakers active even though the content is stereo and only playing through 2.

How can I fix this?

Also, if I set it to output as optical it will show the correct amount of speakers based on the content, allow sur decode and show pl2 on the receiver when it is required.

Gynoug79

Bit older Yamaha Receiver here but there should be a button on your remote labeled "SUR Decode" which allows you to switch between the different decoders without using the different DSP modes.

bennibop

Have the same receiver but not encountering same issue, just had a look but cannot see what I have got set differently sorry.

MotherFan

Have the same receiver but not encountering same issue, just had a look but cannot see what I have got set differently sorry.

I can upload some pictures when i get home maybe we can compare receiver settings?

Also did not see sur decode button on remote

ElNino

I think the problem you are seeing is that it appears as the PS4 is outputting all content as Multi Channel PCM (5.1). When the AVR receives a PCM signal, it is generally output directly to the speakers without any further modifications since PCM audio is uncompressed. If stereo content is being sent the same way, then it is likely still being sent as PCM 5.1, except only 2 of the channels contain audio. So, from the AVR point of view it is still sending out all of the available channels.

Also, the "fix" you are seeing when using optical is because optical doesn't have the bandwidth for PCM 5.1, so it is probably sending bitstream output which is being processed by the AVR. A stereo signal sent via bitstream would be processed by the AVR and handled as Dolby Pro Logic II (if that's what you have it set to do).

Gynoug79

Yeah just had a look at a pic of the remote and it looks quit different now. I also took a look at the manual; it's in the Option menu now, under surround/dsp...take a look at Page 49 and 74. Don't know it helps with the hdmi/optical problem though.

MotherFan

I think the problem you are seeing is that it appears as the PS4 is outputting all content as Multi Channel PCM (5.1). When the AVR receives a PCM signal, it is generally output directly to the speakers without any further modifications since PCM audio is uncompressed. If stereo content is being sent the same way, then it is likely still being sent as PCM 5.1, except only 2 of the channels contain audio. So, from the AVR point of view it is still sending out all of the available channels.

Also, the "fix" you are seeing when using optical is because optical doesn't have the bandwidth for PCM 5.1, so it is probably sending bitstream output which is being processed by the AVR. A stereo signal sent via bitstream would be processed by the AVR and handled as Dolby Pro Logic II (if that's what you have it set to do).

Hmm, so I tried sending dolby digital bitstream from ps4. Still showed 5 speakers being used and says dolby digital.

Also tried the dsp menu setting, has the decoder part as a dash line that cant be changed

ElNino

Hmm, so I tried sending dolby digital bitstream from ps4. Still showed 5 speakers being used and says dolby digital.

Also tried the dsp menu setting, has the decoder part as a dash line that cant be changed
What is the stereo content you are using?

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen (or heard in this case) of material being stereo but mastered as a 5.1 channel signal. In which case, I'm not sure there's much you can do at the AVR if that is the case because it is receiving, and outputting 5 discrete audio channels. It's just only two of them actually contain any sound.

A.Romero

This is normal behaviour. If you are using PCM the signal will be uncompressed and it shouldn't be modified by the AVR.

If the source is Stereo, for example crunchy roll, the only way to use surround sound is through codec emulation such as Dolby Surround and DTS:X

MotherFan

What is the stereo content you are using?

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen (or heard in this case) of material being stereo but mastered as a 5.1 channel signal. In which case, I'm not sure there's much you can do at the AVR if that is the case because it is receiving, and outputting 5 discrete audio channels. It's just only two of them actually contain any sound.

I kinda feel like this may be what is happening. I think in this case I am gonna have to live with it.

Top Bottom