• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Issues with console war’n?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnotherOne

GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
People are going to real war for less than this shit. How'd you expect people not to drive war over China produced plastic?

Edit: I find the laughing smiley sad. Sad because whenever you look into a Microsoft thread there's the same PlayStation fanboys like Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem laugjing about xbox as an instant auto reply, while when you pop into a PlayStation thread there's only thumbs up and other positive emojis.

Really shows where the majority of war comes from.

Last edited:
You really can't control what others do so the best thing is just to ignore them and don't participate in any console warring. I know that it's hard to tell when you are warring but it's usually good advice to look at your comment history when discussions start to get really heated.

I'm not directing this at you specifically but sometimes we need to look ourselves in the mirror and realize that we are getting overboard with the warring. It's easy to blame others but it's hard to blame yourself for these things.

Great Hair

Banned
dog so talking GIF

... that CD thread was most likely the katalysator for this.

Nah literally the last few month any thread that regarded PS5 or Xbox would devolve into console warring, it became basically impossible to talk about any news without seeing millions of console war posts. We were reaching Twitter level of discourse.
I generally dont put people on ignore in case one day they say something worth while and sometimes a thread can just get heated but I dont hold it against them and hope they dont hold it against me.

But lately its constant, doesnt matter what the news is if it regards MS or PS not even in a competitive way......we get war!

Say we are talking about this PS5 feature or game.....if its bad someone will post "well on Xbox its even worse" or "Or on Xbox this doesnt happen" some such uncalled for response.
If its good news well get "Xbox does this better" or "Take that Xbots you dont have this shit".......I can understand why the mods are realizing we are making a very antagonistic community where we war more than we even talk about games.
Almost all the recent threads with high post counts are some sort of console war shit inside.

BUT without any one posting anymore, without console warring ... what will Riky do? He won´t be able to upvote, troll posts randomly anymore. :p

Last edited:

tommib

You really can't control what others do so the best thing is just to ignore them and don't participate in any console warring. I know that it's hard to tell when you are warring but it's usually good advice to look at your comment history when discussions start to get really heated.

I'm not directing this at you specifically but sometimes we need to look ourselves in the mirror and realize that we are getting overboard with the warring. It's easy to blame others but it's hard to blame yourself for these things.
Yes, despite what a lot of people saying that the ignore button is for pussies, I’ve realized it’s the only way to slightly enjoy threads without reading the constant FUD from the same people. Ignore is life.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I think its ridiculous how sensitive people are to “console warring”. And “fanboys”. Its all in good fun. Why does everything have to be so Saint like? I cant shit on a corporate company in one of my posts? I get a warning for saying Nintendo makes kid games? How sensitive are you? Its all in good fun.

Imagine if sports forums banned competitive banter between rival fanbases…. why are video games any different.

just lighten up. Its all in fun. Yall are so sensitive we cant even have fun anymore. Christ.

the ones who are offended by “console wars” are the real cringe imo. Theres still plenty of good discussion going on, i dont see the issue if a few threads take aim at a specific company or fan base.

Last edited:

To be fair fanboys don't see their own kin as being console warriors. It's why I've seen both sides argue that most of the warring comes from the others when they war themselves.

In the end it doesn't matter where the warring comes from what matters is what it does to discussions.

I don't believe the mods were targeting
any specific fan base because they probably have seen plenty of warring from both sides. After all Gaf is a melting pot or gamers things like that is bound to happen.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nah this is a good thing. Some of you guys can’t help it. Tbh, I can’t either. I love to trash all companies and I guess it starts to get old. Let’s move on and focus on the good things.

I’m gonna try to change. I might not succeed but for the sake of this forum, I’m going to at least try.

tommib

I think its ridiculous how sensitive people are to “console warring”. And “fanboys”. Its all in good fun. Why does everything have to be so Saint like? I cant shit on a corporate company in one of my posts? I get a warning for saying Nintendo makes kid games? How sensitive are you? Its all in good fun.

Imagine if sports forums banned competitive banter between rival fanbases…. why are video games any different.

just lighten up. Its all in fun. Yall are so sensitive we cant even have fun anymore.
Dude, there’s hundreds of threads of people enjoying whatever game and random shitposters come with their incendiary posts clearly wanting to derail the conversation. There’s nothing fun about that. It’s disruptive and puts people off from writing. All threads are devolving into console wars that serve no purpose.

Yes, despite what a lot of people saying that the ignore button is for pussies, I’ve realized it’s the only way to slightly enjoy threads without reading the constant FUD from the same people. Ignore is life.

Unfortunately it doesn't work eliminate any derailment that those individuals cause. And by how those derailments are i can tell whose causing them.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
dog so talking GIF

... that CD thread was most likely the katalysator for this.

Nah literally the last few month any thread that regarded PS5 or Xbox would devolve into console warring, it became basically impossible to talk about any news without seeing millions of console war posts. We were reaching Twitter level of discourse.
I generally dont put people on ignore in case one day they say something worth while and sometimes a thread can just get heated but I dont hold it against them and hope they dont hold it against me.

But lately its constant, doesnt matter what the news is if it regards MS or PS not even in a competitive way......we get war!

Say we are talking about this PS5 feature or game.....if its bad someone will post "well on Xbox its even worse" or "Or on Xbox this doesnt happen" some such uncalled for response.
If its good news well get "Xbox does this better" or "Take that Xbots you dont have this shit".......I can understand why the mods are realizing we are making a very antagonistic community where we war more than we even talk about games.
Almost all the recent threads with high post counts are some sort of console war shit inside.

Topher

Gold Member
People are going to real war for less than this shit. How'd you expect people not to drive war over China produced plastic?

Edit: I find the laughing smiley sad. Sad because whenever you look into a Microsoft thread there's the same PlayStation fanboys like Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem laugjing about xbox as an instant auto reply, while when you pop into a PlayStation thread there's only thumbs up and other positive emojis.

I see plenty of Xbox fans in PlayStation threads and they are typically not giving thumbs up and positive emojis. There is plenty of trolling from both camps and pretending it is coming predominantly from one direction is simply a matter of selective reading.

just lighten up. Its all in fun. Yall are so sensitive we cant even have fun anymore. Christ.

the ones who are offended by “console wars” are the real cringe imo. Theres still plenty of good discussion going on, i dont see the issue if a few threads take aim at a specific company or fan base.

Nothing to do with offending. The occasional thread shitting on them is fine

Going into Xbox threads with the typical "more gamepass fodder" tripe or PS threads with the usual "fuck jim ryan" mantra gets tedious

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Well the mods did say that the people reporting the most are the worst offenders so they are using the reporting tool to do their warring. So the mods clearly take the post history of the accuser into account when actioning upon reports.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Yes, I'm all in for a less toxic and more respectful environment in here.

It's one of my favorite, daily website I go to and the toxicity is starting to take my enjoyment out of it. I don't mind when it's comedic but more often than the other, people use sarcastic comedy and meme into subtle attack

All this inspiration and energy to defend products sold in store. It's really juvenile when you think about it.

I'm glad the mod finally stepped in to make the thread.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Actually it's reactionary from me as nearly all PS threads are filled with laugh emojis. If you can't see some of them then they probably got buried by positive reactions. Also when I post serious posts I sometimes get laugh emojis and it doesn't hurt my feelings. Just chill.

Sassy Season 3 GIF by NETFLIX

Last edited:
Well the mods did say that the people reporting the most are the worst offenders so they are using the reporting tool to do their warring. So the mods clearly take the post history of the accuser into account when actioning upon reports.
I loved reading that part. I was reading it like it was entirely directed at me. I got to that part and was like sweet! I don't report anyone. I'm not the worst whoop whoop.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I lean more xbox but have always owned every playstation day one, ps vita 3g version. Imported a psp. I love Sony games but I know I can sometimes make warring type comments towards the brand....

...I will try to be better and I like when my Sony brethren call me out as it helps me step away if I've allowed myself to get heated from a previous comment towards xbox. I never enter a thread with the intention to troll or derail, but I may see a comment towards xbox and it makes me retaliate.

I have always owned every console and pc and I try to stay as down the middle as I can but sometimes comments can trigger me....

...I will do better for the forum!

Love to all ❤

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Nothing to do with offending. The occasional thread shitting on them is fine

Going into Xbox threads with the typical "more gamepass fodder" tripe or PS threads with the usual "fuck jim ryan" mantra gets tedious
Now that i agree with, if youre going to troll, at least put some effort into it and make it funny. I have no problem with some good quality trolling. I think it brings life to any video game forum tbh.

Jaybe

Games are such an awesome medium to discuss the art, entertainment, and technology in and of itself. It’s unfortunate that discussion gets derailed by the corporate tribalism and team bashing and its reciprocal defence. The biggest problem is topic derailment. It probably needs moderated out. Or it’s own dedicated thread to bash the platforms you don’t own. Perhaps those that can’t keep it in the thread can be kept to it or shadowbanned from other threads and left to wonder why no one is taking their bait. 🙂

junguler

Banned
console wars are pure entertainment and the main reasons gaming communities like neogaf is as popular as they are. nobody likes to see a bunch of polite people agree to disagree and act like in real life on the internet.

I lean more xbox but have always owned every playstation day one, ps vita 3g version. Imported a psp. I love Sony games but I know I can sometimes make warring type comments towards the brand....

...I will try to be better and I like when my Sony brethren call me out as it helps me step away if I've allowed myself to get heated from a previous comment towards xbox. I never enter a thread with the intention to troll or derail, but I may see a comment towards xbox and it makes me retaliate.

I have always owned every console and pc and I try to stay as down the middle as I can but sometimes comments can trigger me....

...I will do better for the forum!

Love to all ❤
Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

It's ok we all have our preferences and that's fine. Sometimes it really difficult to maintain your cool when your preferred brand is getting hammered but losing your temper will only make things worse. Sometimes we all need a kick in the butt to let us know when we are going overboard but we really need to pay attention to those nudges.

Sometimes I get a little crazy and need someone to slap some sense into me.

snoop dogg GIF

quest

Not Banned from OT
I don't see a point one left the market to make a killing in the hand held space. The remaining players one has 70% plus market share not much to war about. It is like patriot and lions fans waring. One side should enjoy their next win. The other enjoy any gains they can get. They are so far apart in market share it is no war or contest anytime soon.

Indyblue

Just try to have a sense of humor about it all. It’s just video games and the opinions of random internet people. No reason for it to upset you so much. Like sports, none of us have any control over what these companies do so don’t take shit so personally. All the systems have and will have an astronomical amount of great games. Everything is cool. Just enjoy your systems and make jokes cause it’s not a big deal.

kyoji

Make a playstation/nintendo/xbox seperated forum and people can browse and fancy there preffered sub forum for news etc. you could also indentify people a whole lot easier rather than firing a hot gun always. But drama generates traffic and clicks so this wont be implemented.

Also why is it not known what moderator issues a warning or infraction to the user? Gaf is a big forum so i understand its not easy to moderate or that things wont be perfect but at times there seems to be a pretty big discrepancy on consistency as far as whats allowed and whats crossing the line from certain groups. Ive sometimes even looked at the ban section of the forum and the ban comment often read worse than the infractor.

console wars are pure entertainment and the main reasons gaming communities like neogaf is as popular as they are. nobody likes to see a bunch of polite people agree to disagree and act like in real life on the internet.

I do understand that and I love having good debates on this sites. But there's a point where it gets to people just throwing personal attacks on each other or just shitting on something just to make others mad.

What I'm trying to say is that there are limits to everything. Some of us do want to participate in the discussions but sometimes really bad behavior can make those discussions difficult to participate in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom