• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

It Appears Chuck Wendig Was Fired From Marvel [Star Wars]

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

Chuck Wendig, the New York Times-bestselling author of the Star Wars: Aftermath series of novels, has been fired by Marvel Entertainment, he said on Twitter Friday. That leaves the fate of a number of previously announced Star Wars projects he was attached to left uncertain as a result.

In a series of tweets, Wendig, who was working on both the five-issue Shadow of Vader mini-series and an additional, as-yet-unannounced Star Wars series for the publisher, revealed that he had been fired by Marvel in the middle of his work on the titles because, in his words, “of the negativity and vulgarity that my tweets bring. Seriously, that’s what Mark [Paniccia], the editor said. It was too much vulgarity, too much negativity on my part.”

Previously, Wendig had written Hyperion and an adaptation of Star Wars: The Force Awakens for Marvel.

Wendig has been outspoken about his liberal political views on Twitter. On Oct. 7, he drew the attention of well-known conservative personalities such as Ben Shapiro and filmmaker Dinesh D'Souza with a series of tweets surrounding the confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who had been accused of sexual assault. In one tweet, which he later deleted because he said it had become a "funnel for harassment," he wrote, "Winter is coming, you callous fucknecks, you prolapsed assholes, you grotesque monsters, you racists and rapists and wretched abusers, you vengeful petty horrors."

'Star Wars' Comic Writer Says Marvel Fired Him For Social Media Behavior

Musky_Cheese

Banned
Oct 23, 2016
Shitty tweets get you fired. Stop tweeting dude, regardless if you think you’re on the right side of the issue.

Hope he lands on his feet. Good luck.

Petrae

Nov 19, 2006
West Springfield, MA
www.youtube.com
Talk shit, get hit.

I want to say that I’m surprised that people keep talking shit on social media and keep getting fired, but it’s par for the course now... followed by surprised reactions.

Figure it out. NOW. What you say publicly on social media carries the weight of responsibility and reflects directly on your employer if you’ve linked who your employer is online. First amendment and “free speech” mean bupkis— especially here in the United States. The government isn’t coming to your house to arrest you, but your employer has the right to cut you loose if your social media behavior is offensive enough and even potentially causes negative publicity and/or damage to said employer.

This has happened so many times, and yet people still remain stupid enough to keep thumping their chests on social media as if it carries zero consequence. They openly and harshly insult anyone who disagrees with them, especially when it comes to politics. Piss off too many people (which you WILL do in politics given the current divisive environment), and you’re just begging to be fired.

Wanna get pissed off at politics? Do it in a private conversation at home. Don’t do it on the world’s loudest microphone, unless you’re ready to accept the consequences for what you say and how you say it.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
How the fuck an adult doesn’t understand that repeatedly spewing vulgar vitriol like an unhinged maniac publically on social media can jeopardise your job is beyond me.

It’s like these people are ageing backwards. Reverting to children. At least mentally.

Bloody hilarious.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
These virtue signalling idiots getting fired never fails to amuse. Sort out your priorities in life

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I love how Verge puts vulgar in quotations... Bitch ass publication network.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
he wrote, "Winter is coming, you callous fucknecks, you prolapsed assholes, you grotesque monsters, you racists and rapists and wretched abusers, you vengeful petty horrors."

Seems like he might have been a good writer. That's quite a colorful description. Too bad he also hatefully generalized large sections of his customer base, because yes, that will get you fired. Maybe he can start a support group with Roseanne.

Last edited:

docmindbender

Jan 10, 2018
Good. Keep the politically obsessed/deranged away from this kind of entertainment as much as possible. Hopefully a marker going forward.

kunonabi

Dec 2, 2010
Yeah, that kind of speech isnt at all defensible. His SW work was rubbish anyway so it's no great loss.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
I'm thinking about actually donating to Nick Monroe. The man is on point with researching bullshit on Twitter.

And considering not a single "journalist" bothered to show the tweets in question that likely got him fired, props to him.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Jun 7, 2004
Memphis
"Prolapsed assholes"....wow. Not a good look for someone in the pop culture business. Did he just go totally nuts once after Kavanaugh or was he consistently that venemous?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Jun 8, 2004
Holy Terra
How do these people even function in their soft cushiony lives?

People like this are basically doomed the next time a serious recession hits. They've often been sheltered their whole life and have no idea how to navigate difficult times.

TheShadowLord

Jan 7, 2018
Seems like he might have been a good writer. That's quite a colorful description. Too bad he also hatefully generalized large sections of his customer base, because yes, that will get you fired. Maybe he can start a support group with Roseanne.
did anything she even say was good enough for ABC to let her go?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Jun 7, 2004
Memphis
How do these people even function in their soft cushiony lives?

Historically it was not uncommon for artists to be extremely eccentric and have radical politics (left or right). But those people weren't writing for media conglomerates who license the same characters on diapers and whatnot.

Harlock

Jul 6, 2011
Is not because you are on the left or right you need to be a-hole in the Twitter.

tkscz

Oct 17, 2011
Now if Marvel could stand up to the rest of their writers like DC does

Soleil rouge

May 17, 2010
I bet he was giddy with excitement writing that "winter is coming" tweet thinking about all the likes/retweets it was going to garner. Fishing for those sweet sweet SJW likes is like a hobby for soyboy types. And it's so obvious that it's just a front for attention. Wouldn't shock me if the only interaction he has with non-Whites are with lady boys from his yearly trips to Thailand.

MilkyJoe

Jan 29, 2014
Shitty tweets get you fired. Stop tweeting dude, regardless if you think you’re on the right side of the issue.

Hope he lands on his feet. Good luck.

The dude is an unhinged arsehole, he's been a prick to SW fans for months. I hope he lands on his teeth.

Kadayi

Banned
Oct 10, 2012
Discord : Kadayi#0650
How hard is it to have two twitter accounts? One for work-related stuff and another private one for shit-talking?

I mean jeez, you'd have thought after Disney kicked James Gunn to the curb that dudes like this might have paused for thought about acting out their political hate.

Cato

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How hard is it to have two twitter accounts? One for work-related stuff and another private one for shit-talking?

I mean jeez, you'd have thought after Disney kicked James Gunn to the curb that dudes like this might have paused for thought about acting out their political hate.

Exactly. If you work on a Disney IP and still do not understand that you can not behave like a complete lunatic by now, then, well, hard times coming your way.

tkscz

Oct 17, 2011
Oh dc comics

I stopped after new 52

Did it get better?

Rebirth pretty much fixed everything about Nu52. Especially Superman. The Nu52 Supes had died and the pre-52 Superman had taken his place, along with being married to Lois AND having a son. It gave him so much more character. Best comics to check out from Rebirth on are Titans, Redhood and the Outlaws (got sooooo much better after rebirth), Superman, The Flash, Green Lantern Corp, and Detective comics. Some good ones to check out but not the absolute best are, Superman of China, Teen Titans, SuperSons, Detective comics, and Green Lanterns.
They also start a line of "New Hero comics" that are really good too. The Terrifics and Silencer are fucking amazing and I suggest everyone reads both. Sideways and the New Challengers are pretty good as well. Not read Damage yet though.

As for DC's twitter rule, earlier this year a bunch of Marvel comic writers got into twitter arguments with comic fans who didn't like their work (didn't say anything bad about the writers themselves, just didn't like their book). Caused more trouble than it was worth, so DC told ALL their writers if they are going on social media to say anything, keep their DC business out their mouths.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Fear of the patriarchy leads to anger. Anger leads to raging leftist tweets. Raging leftist tweets leads to career suffering. And much anger in you, do I sense.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

Because you can't use your newfound fame to satiate the hunger of all them likes and retweets on some nobody anonymous account.

Mohonky

Jan 19, 2007
Two thoughts;

Firstly, when you follow an ideology that punishes those that have ever done or said something that could be construed as harmful (or triggering seems to be the preferred term) in a society where you espouse having free speech and free ideas, then you will at some point die upon the sword you wave. You quite literally can not go through life where cultural and society values are fluid, without ever offending someone, at some point. So when it does eventually come round to bite you in the ass, don't be surprised.

Secondly, what is with grown adults not being able to control themselves on social media. Is this the result of growing up with social media as a standard? That people think they can behave like raving lunatics with no accountability because they are hiding behind a screen despite having their actual identity in full view? Why would you act online in a way you wouldn't in front of others? Do you actually have no dignity or integrity?

I think personally it's the latter, where people just don't have any integrity.

Dontero

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
This is the kind of shit i disagree with. I know it feels "right" that an asshole like him get the boot for what he said on twitter but he didn't broke the law nor he was actually in any position where he was talking directly to consumers.

If you don't like what someone is saying, go to court. Your personal feeling shouldn't be factor if someone can work or not. What someone says on their private twitter or whatever it should be their private thing.

Unfortunately shitty trend started by radical left only gets claps from other side of isle where they should be the one defending free speech.
I can see why that is but i won't support such garbage whatever it goes left or right.

TheWatcher

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I tried to read Empire's End, and it was just complete and utter trash. This guy should have been fired a long time ago. As Dinosaur Comic Mod used to say, 'and nothing of value was lost.'

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
This is the kind of shit i disagree with. I know it feels "right" that an asshole like him get the boot for what he said on twitter but he didn't broke the law nor he was actually in any position where he was talking directly to consumers.

If you don't like what someone is saying, go to court. Your personal feeling shouldn't be factor if someone can work or not. What someone says on their private twitter or whatever it should be their private thing.

Unfortunately shitty trend started by radical left only gets claps from other side of isle where they should be the one defending free speech. I can see why that is but i won't support such garbage whatever it goes left or right.

He has directly talked this very same way to consumers in the past, directly to Star Wars fans. He was warned for it by Marvel previously.

He is still representing them, their brand, etc..

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

Because they want retweets and attention.. a anonymous Twitter account that no one knows is you is useless to them.

Dontero

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
He has directly talked this very same way to consumers in the past, directly to Star Wars fans. He was warned for it by Marvel previously.

He is still representing them, their brand, etc..

Did he said it on Star Wars panel hosted by Marvel ? If yes then his employer is justified to boot him.
From what i have seen he said in on twitter and nowhere else.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Did he said it on Star Wars panel hosted by Marvel ? If yes then his employer is justified to boot him.

He was representing his employer on his Twitter. Engaging directly with fans, which is the very same thing as your "panel" analogy.

Petrae

Nov 19, 2006
West Springfield, MA
www.youtube.com

Unfortunately shitty trend started by radical left only gets claps from other side of isle where they should be the one defending free speech. I can see why that is but i won't support such garbage whatever it goes left or right.

It’s becoming increasingly likely that employers will fire you if you take to public forums and behave badly. This isn’t a new concept, and the chances increase as your status and visibility increase. Businesses don’t thrive on divisiveness, where an employee (or employees) alienates a significant percentage of potential customers because partisan politics or other questionable public behavior.

And let’s be very clear about this: Posting on Twitter or other social media accounts is public behavior, even if you lock your account down. It takes just one follower to screenshot something you say and spread it around to sink you. If you didn’t want someone else to read what you say or share, you wouldn’t post it on social media— so the idea of “private” accounts is beyond laughable to me. People crave attention and approval, and social media gives them what they want. Those likes and retweets are fuel for the ego.

If you don’t want to risk getting fired from your job, the easiest thing to do is to NEVER post on social media. It’s a choice you can make. Another choice is to avoid “hot takes” or other controversial posting, which run high risks of going viral, offending others, and making you an liability to your employer. I just talk video games on social media, and avoid everything else. I could choose to talk politics, but the risk and consequences aren’t worth it.

Remember too that posting publicly on social media IS “talking directly to everyone”. Social media is a huge microphone, broadcasting to millions of people. He didn’t break any “laws”, but his bile-filled rants and insults were enough of a reflection on his employer where it was thought that his talent wasn’t worth the liability he created— so he was terminated.

HE did this. HE made the choices that led to his firing. HE refuses to accept any responsibility for his actions, claiming “harassment” and the need for defending or retaliation instead of, you know, just unplugging and doing something else. He egged his “enemies” on. There’s no innocence here. He is as much to blame as those he and his supporters are pointing fingers at.

Nymphae

Banned
Jun 3, 2013
Canada

Not really a fan of firings for twitter rants, but god this guy was annoying. And it is nice to see the left get a taste of it's own medicine.

Also, this guy is a writer, yet routinely writes like 50+ tweet threads. Why is this culture so attached to ttwitter??? Have one tweet that links to a blog where you can write in paragraphs ffs.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Oct 10, 2012
Discord : Kadayi#0650

Not really a fan of firings for twitter rants, but god this guy was annoying. And it is nice to see the left get a taste of it's own medicine.

Also, this guy is a writer, yet routinely writes like 50+ tweet threads. Why is this culture so attached to ttwitter??? Have one tweet that links to a blog where you can write in paragraphs ffs.

Cuck mouth, says it all. Surprised he's not kneeling down tbh.

Last edited:

Azurro

Jun 11, 2018

When you are employed at a company, you represent it to some degree, and what you say and do can affect things such as sales, stock prices, marketing, etc.

In other words, you have to be a mature, responsible adult and keep that shit off of social media.

Mar 18, 2018
Some of the shit he said was just vile. He has said a lot of shit about fans and half the country for a while now. How he got this far is rather telling of Lucas Arts political hypocrisy.

Obligatory: His books aren’t even that good. Cause they aren’t. Aftermath was dull as fuck.

michaelius

Banned
Jan 5, 2012
Really how hard is it to tweet yours political opinions in a polite matter when you are face of company as big as Disney ?