• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It Has Been Almost 2 Years Without a FPS Halo Reveal (New Record). What Is 343 up To?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Halo 5's core gameplay felt so goddamn good so hopefully they really took the criticism of the campaign to heart and knock it out of the part for the end of this trilogy.

Halo 5's campaign was dry as a bone, can't blame that on the fans.

Yup. I remember probably 3 encounters from that game not including the lame boss fights. I played through Halo 3 ODST only once and much longer ago and remember roughly 3-4 times as many encounters and level layouts. 343's campaigns fall short for me as well.

No offense to the people at 343 but I just don't see them ever knocking a Halo game out of the park the way Bungie did again and again. Maybe it's the difference between a passionate team making something they love and a studio created expressly for the purpose of grinding out games in a series they didnt create, forever.

Supast4r

Halo 5 is THE WORST campaign that I have ever played in a videogame. That game combined with halo 4 being disappointing makes me not trust 343 whatsoever

Kalentan

Halo 5 is THE WORST campaign that I have ever played in a videogame. That game combined with halo 4 being disappointing makes me not trust 343 whatsoever

If Halo 5 is the worst campaign you ever played than you must have played very little FPS with campaigns.

tuna_love

Banned
No offense to the people at 343 but I just don't see them ever knocking a Halo game out of the park the way Bungie did again and again. Maybe it's the difference between a passionate team making something they love and a studio created expressly for the purpose of grinding out games in a series they didnt create, forever.
do you think the whole team have been kidnapped and forced to make these games?

As much as I absolutely hate Halo 5...there's no way this can be the case for you unless you have just started in gaming.

Ever play Resistance: Fall of Man? Or how about Black Ops 3? Halo 5 may have the worst Halo campaign, but in the grand scheme of all video games, it's at worst painfully average.

The people who work at 343 do so because they want to work on Halo, which directly counters what you are suggesting. It wasn't a studio that existed previously, then later converted from others projects to solely work on one franchise.

You go to 343 because you love Halo, and I'm sure 343 employees would be offended at the implication that they're not as passionate about the Halo franchise as Bungie was, as if they're slaves to Microsoft or some nonsense lol.

Cpt Lmao

On one thing I am absolutely convinced: The Flood are the last, best hope for saving the series.

I actually quite like the idea that in Halo 6 you play as a lone Flood spore that breaks out of containment, and you have to start an entire dynasty. The object is to canonically wipe out the entire Halo universe.

On one thing I am absolutely convinced: The Flood are the last, best hope for saving the series.

I actually quite like the idea that in Halo 6 you play as a lone Flood spore that breaks out of containment, and you have to start an entire dynasty. The object is to canonically wipe out the entire Halo universe.

So AvP 2000 except replace the Alien with the flood?

Might be good for a one-off level.

blakep267

I don't really care about the campaign but I loved the MP of five. Next time out I just want them to include more Warzone maps and stuff like firefight from the start. As for Arena I only play team slayer anyway

As for customization either allow limb specific armor(legs, arms, head chest etc) or make better armor designs. The helmets were fine but the body armors really kinda sucked

Also maybe do Destiny style strike missions

Cool concept for a game, despite it being a joke lol. A mobile game where you tap things to infect and have to spread throughout a base/civilization. Then at the end of the game you get nuked.

The people who work at 343 do so because they want to work on Halo, which directly counters what you are suggesting. It wasn't a studio that existed previously, then later converted from others projects to solely work on one franchise.

You go to 343 because you love Halo, and I'm sure 343 employees would be offended at the implication that they're not as passionate about the Halo franchise as Bungie was, as if they're slaves to Microsoft or some nonsense lol.
Halo 4 was most definitely not a passion project. The game reeked of Microsoft chasing Call of Duty from the first person QTE boss battle with the didact to the introduction of perks and ordinances in the MP.

Seriously what's up with the whole Bungie are gods approach that's been around...

Does nobody remember the whole bloom issue with reach, and how pointless Kats death was? How lifeless and boring the supporting characters are in Reach and how it ruins the books? That's not how i felt, But thats all i saw online, guess it was cool to hate anything new...

At this rate this is how the internet will react to the next games

Halo 6 will be the worst game in the history of video games

Halo 7 will be the lowest rated/worst digital experience known to man

Halo 8 will be banned and can cause instant death upon viewing it or mentioning it.

Seriously though i love each campaign in its own way, only online do i see so much hate for anything post Bungie.

This is how you make the perfect Halo game 343i take notes

2 WEAPONS ONLY
Halo 1 Magnum
Halo 2 BR

1 MULTIPLAYER MAP ONLY
Lockout

Campaign
Silent cartographer 10 times, change the weather and time of day only

DLC only 1 map (FREE)
Blackout

Price
$1 USD

Cpt Lmao

Cool concept for a game, despite it being a joke lol. A mobile game where you tap things to infect and have to spread throughout a base/civilization. Then at the end of the game you get nuked.

Nah at the end the Master Chief and Flood agree to just activate the Halo ring and leave everything there.

Outrun

Seriously what's up with the whole Bungie are gods approach that's been around...

Does nobody remember the whole bloom issue with reach, and how pointless Kats death was? How lifeless and boring the supporting characters are in Reach and how it ruins the books? That's not how i felt, But thats all i saw online, guess it was cool to hate anything new...

Halo 8 will be banned and can cause instant death upon viewing it or mentioning it.

Seriously though i love each campaign in its own way, only online do i see so much hate for anything post Bungie.

2 WEAPONS ONLY
Halo 1 Magnum
Halo 2 BR

1 MULTIPLAYER MAP ONLY
Lockout

Campaign

DLC only 1 map (FREE)
Blackout

Price
$1 USD

Lol, I have to agree.

It is always something.

I did not enjoy the Halo 5 campaign, but mp was lovely.

Geist-

Pretty sure they realized they fucked up with the H5 single player, it's entirely possible they're taking their time trying to clean up their mess.

2 WEAPONS ONLY
Halo 1 Magnum
Halo 2 BR

1 MULTIPLAYER MAP ONLY
Lockout

Campaign

DLC only 1 map (FREE)
Blackout

Price
$1 USD

So true. It was usually the same with Zelda until BotW

I think Halo 5 MP is some of the best on consoles right now. They've been consistently updating it and adding new features. And the performance is rock solid 60.

But yes, campaign is terrible and that silly ending in Halo 5.

I don't get the "this is 343's last chance" bullshit. MCC was, and still kind of is, a mess but with 5's mechanics they've reinvented Halo in a way it needed to be.

Though, you can't deny their are master with tech. How Halo 4 looked that good on a 360 still amazes me to this day.

Halo 4 was most definitely not a passion project. The game reeked of Microsoft chasing Call of Duty from the first person QTE boss battle with the didact to the introduction of perks and ordinances in the MP.

Regardless of what you feel, it's just not fact. Halo 4 was the direct continuation of Reach, more or less, while chasing other industry trends.

Detective

Regardless of what you feel, it's just not fact. Halo 4 was the direct continuation of Reach, more or less, while chasing other industry trends.

Yet, Halo 5 campaign turned out much worse than 4.

7 warden fight?

Some missions just walking around and do nothing? And counted as missions?

Cortana turned out evil. This got to be the most cliche thing ever. AI turning into skynet. lol

Osiris...

The horrible introduction of blue team.

Casting aside the main character and Arby. Very passionate.

If there was one thing that's missing in this campaign is Halo passion.

If it was some side project like ODST I could maybe understand some of the points above, but a main Halo?

I really do hope Halo 6 is nothing short but amazing, Because I miss Halo in my days. 343 got talented people, they just need some work on the management and quality side.

Honestly GAGGING for a new Halo, no other FPS can scratch that itch like Halo for me. Frothing at the mouth now with anticipation for Xbox X version of Halo 6.

As people have mentioned, get the level design right & better more varied enemies as the gunplay is just sublime. Still my favourite MP FPS.

Ddestiny?

Yet, Halo 5 campaign turned out much worse than 4.

7 warden fight?

Some missions just walking around and do nothing? And counted as missions?

Cortana turned out evil. This got to be the most cliche thing ever. AI turning into skynet. lol

Osiris...

The horrible introduction of blue team.

Casting aside the main character and Arby. Very passionate.

If there was one thing that's missing in this campaign is Halo passion.

If it was some side project like ODST I could maybe understand some of the points above, but a main Halo?

I really do hope Halo 6 is nothing short but amazing, Because I miss Halo in my days. 343 got talented people, they just need some work on the management and quality side.
I think you're confusing a lack of passion with design mistakes and development issues.

To play Devil's advocate, 343 is made out of people who chose to work there because they want to make Halo.

Halo 5 is a strange Case, as it strikes me as a game where the multiplayer team knew exactly what they wanted to make and they nailed it. It might just be the best multiplayer in the series. They clearly learned a lot from Halo 4. The single player on the other hand... There's still a lot of work to be done.

I don't think any Halo game - or nearly any game for that matter - will reach the hype Halo 3 had. Too much has changed.

I mean, all things considered, we have to know 343 is working on the next major Halo project. They've made it clear that they don't want the long gap between announce and release, so I'm thinking we'll see the announcement at E3 2018 and release in early fall.

Between Halo MCC's bugs, Halo 5's story, and Halo Wars 2's story (not even mentioning the Season Pass fiasco...), I'd really say that Microsoft and 343i were the reasons I have left the Xbox platform for the time. Longing for the Xbox 360 days - and yes, I really enjoyed Halo 4, both campaign and multiplayer.

spootime

2 WEAPONS ONLY
Halo 1 Magnum
Halo 2 BR

1 MULTIPLAYER MAP ONLY
Lockout

Campaign

DLC only 1 map (FREE)
Blackout

Price
$1 USD

Reach is going to get a lot of hate at that time because its getting compared to Halo 3. Now that its getting compared to halo 4 and 5 it looks like a masterpiece.

SMG

As much as I absolutely hate Halo 5...there's no way this can be the case for you unless you have just started in gaming.

Ever play Resistance: Fall of Man? Or how about Black Ops 3? Halo 5 may have the worst Halo campaign, but in the grand scheme of all video games, it's at worst painfully average.
Even those a just below average. What about Fall Of Liberty, Turok Evolution and Hour of Victory.

Jumeira

Banned
Ddestiny?

Been said many times, grindy shared world FPS is not Halo. I cant stand Destiny, keep it as far away from Halo as possible. Utterly disappointed that Bungie are stuck with that franchise at the moment, i want them to make more classical SP/MP FPS. Would take Halo 5 anyday of the week over Destiny.

watership

Horse poop. You didn’t like it, but if that was the worst FPS campaign ever are new to video games.

Even those a just below average. What about Fall Of Liberty, Turok Evolution and Hour of Victory.

I never played those 3? I knew Fall of Liberty was bad just by looking at it so I avoided it. But I see your point.

Hell even Killzone Mercenary I'd argue had a better campaign than Halo 5. It was tightly focused, didn't repeat the same boss fight over and over, and actually had sub-objectives which encourage multiple playthroughs with different loadouts/tactics.

Top Bottom