• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It Has Been Almost 2 Years Without a FPS Halo Reveal (New Record). What Is 343 up To?

Flintty

Imagine if Bungie never left MS and Destiny was as is but in the Halo universe. I’d be down for a different direction Halo like that.

Whatever they’re doing I’m happy for them to take their time and make it awesome. We don’t need a cgi launch trailer several years in advance either.

KDC720

I want them to take their time with Halo 6. I want them to produce a fantastic campaign, I want it to launch with all the features and modes 5 has now, as well as more.

Let 343i have as much time as they want, I'm still good with Halo 5, especially with the X coming out soon.

What? Why would 343 not make Halo 7?

id like to see what else they can make besides halo TBH.

i really enjoyed 5's multiplayer, i remember nothing of the campaign. hopefully 6 has a fantastic story/campaign and they keep the multiplayer so crisp, maybe even improve it a bit. just make the game feel more like a bungie halo tbh...bring back the art style...stop with the ridiculous armor designs...write a great intriguing story...etc etc etc. i liked warzone and the req system so i hope they keep them in some fashion! it was great to have all the classic halo guns make their way into 5.

also, a pc release is almost 100% gonna happen due to the Play Anywhere thats been going on. Even gears 4 was on pc.

LordOfChaos

I'd rather a wait period and a well thought out game, rather than sticking to a schedule and milling out games.

I defended 4 sometimes, as their first effort I didn't think it was bad, being mostly a single player focused gamer. 5 though lost the plot for me, it felt out of nowhere anything else in Halo lore was building to.

I wonder how much they're looking at Destiny. I'm not suggesting blatant copying, but it feels like shooters have changed.

Crossplay with PC seems inevitable, but keyboard and mouse versus controller seems like a huge problem for the next game.

ryan299

“Doubling down on Master Chief story and the amount of focus on him was probably the easiest learning from Halo 5.”

I always laugh at that quote because it shouldn't have taken criticism for them to know that.”

I used to think they'd announce 6 this fall so that they can have a beta late this year or early next, but due to people liking the core gameplay in 5, they don't really need to due a super early beta. Maybe one in March with an announce around there.

Leyasu

Banned
Reworking those Warzone bosses into public events takes time, let alone coming up with a skill tree and figuring out what supers are balanced.

Lol the fire team could be blue team or whatever. Take it back to the human-covenant war, and have you fighting all the races plus the flood on many different worls... would easily work

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
“Doubling down on Master Chief story and the amount of focus on him was probably the easiest learning from Halo 5.”

I always laugh at that quote because it shouldn't have taken criticism for them to know that.

I found that decision bizarre considering there was exactly the same backlash after Halo 2.

The problem was that that opinion on H2 softened over time to the point where most people (including 343i) have forgotten how much folks were annoyed you didn’t play a big chunk of the game as MC.

Hopefully putting a lot of effort into the story. Gameplay in the last one was great but that story... yikes. Not like Halo stories have ever been good but still. There's a good story to be told if they get the talent.

So much hyperbole from folks criticising 343. While the 3 Warden fights were questionable, the actual campaign gameplay was good. There is more in that $60 package than 99% of AAA games deliver and the game had been getting free updates for years funded by optional RED packs. Halo 5 is a good game.

With that said I too want more Chief in Halo 6 campaign though.

Meifu

Halo 5 was such a let down in the narrative department for me...

Halo 4 was good enough, but 343 has not been able to hit those original trilogy levels. Its strange, because all the non main-game stuff has been so excellent, novels, audio dramas etc..

Memento

I think they are going to announce Halo 6 in the VGX 2017.

They need a big announcement to make a splash in the gaming media in the end of the year, because Sony and PSX will be all over news. So, nothing better to counter it than their biggest IP.

wwm0nkey

I think they are going to announce Halo 6 in the VGX 2017.

They need a big announcement to make a splash in the gaming media in the end of the year, because Sony and PSX will be all over news. So, nothing better to counter it than their biggest IP.
My vote is on VGX too

Imagine if Bungie never left MS and Destiny was as is but in the Halo universe. I’d be down for a different direction Halo like that.

Whatever they’re doing I’m happy for them to take their time and make it awesome. We don’t need a cgi launch trailer several years in advance either.

Destiny really just feels like the next step in Halo. the enemies look similar, act similar, types of guns are basically the same as the type of guns in Halo, shooting is basically halo but with ADS and some better tweeks, super soldiers in cool armor, etc etc

Meifu

Destiny really just feels like the next step in Halo. the enemies look similar, act similar, types of guns are basically the same as the type of guns in Halo, shooting is basically halo but with ADS and some better tweeks, super soldiers in cool armor, etc etc

Except neither of them have a story that even comes close to what Halo 1-3 offered

IHaveIce

Banned
Except neither of them have a story that even comes close to what Halo 1-3 offered
Tbh and I say that as a big Halo fan, the story was super minimalistic in 1-3 and a lot happened outside the games in books, without becoming required reads to play the next games.

343 tries to go much deeper in the story but it feels like you miss a lot of movement in the universe if you didn't read all books.

343 should really take their time.. depending on how far away the next xbox is may even release it on there. I feel like Halo 5 hit the technical capabilities of the One in sone points. The bigger and better forge of Halo 5 is alsmost for naught because the game still dips to low fps when playing forge maps in matchmaking.
The aiming slows down when the processor is getting stressed etc.

Also announcing a game in the timeframe of psx is couragous, to stand out in the press the gane would have to be super different or have big new features. While a lot of the fanbase wants the opposite and a trend to backtothe roots. 343 is in a hard position

Virdix

I'm cautiously optimistic, Halo 5 is the first time I really enjoyed multiplayer after Halo 3. (Sorry, Reach)

I hope they can figure out the campaign this time.

ryan299

I found that decision bizarre considering there was exactly the same backlash after Halo 2.

The problem was that that opinion on H2 softened over time to the point where most people (including 343i) have forgotten how much folks were annoyed you didn't play a big chunk of the game as MC.

I agree. I love Halo 2 and the Arbiter's story. Would've had a problem if Chief was second fiddle like he is in 5.

I'm cautiously optimistic, Halo 5 is the first time I really enjoyed multiplayer after Halo 3. (Sorry, Reach)

I hope they can figure out the campaign this time.

Same here. Though I think 5s campaign is much more fun than 4 was.

Halo 5 was such a let down in the narrative department for me...

Halo 4 was good enough, but 343 has not been able to hit those original trilogy levels. Its strange, because all the non main-game stuff has been so excellent, novels, audio dramas etc..
That’s because the marketing team seems to do a better job at creating and writing the main story than 343.

Halo 4 had a great story, rushes plot points and a very bad gameplay.

Halo 5 had a shit story, very cool plot and a very nice gameplay mechanics.

Sephzilla

I always laugh at that quote because it shouldn't have taken criticism for them to know that.”

I used to think they'd announce 6 this fall so that they can have a beta late this year or early next, but due to people liking the core gameplay in 5, they don't really need to due a super early beta. Maybe one in March with an announce around there.

My first reaction to that was "did you guys completely forget Halo 2?"

nillapuddin

I am positive they are going to bring them and the Precursors into play

Yup

Then, what if

Halo 7 = Halo: The Fall of Reach, go back in time, soft reboot the franchise and pull stories/encounters from the books

And at the end chief wakes up in cryo and it was all a dream

Nephtes

You know what I wish 343 was doing?

Putting a control scheme in Halo 5 that mimics Destiny and Destiny 2's bumper jumper so I don't have to change my button mappings at a system level to play Halo 5...

Or... You know....just giving us the option to map whatever buttons we want in game.

Overwatch does it... Why not all console games?
(And don't say "certification", that's not a valid excuse.)

nekkid

I agree. I love Halo 2 and the Arbiter's story. Would've had a problem if Chief was second fiddle like he is in 5.

You misunderstand me. The reception around Halo 2 was extremely negative re that side of things - fans of the split between MC and the Arbiter were few and far between. That’s why the Arbiter was relegated to a sidekick NPC and co-op character in Halo 3.

It’s weird that some people look on that fondly, because the reception was exactly the same as we’re seeing here with MC and Locke.

Which is why I was astounded 343 chose to do it, and then said it was a lesson learned.

Or... You know....just giving us the option to map whatever buttons we want in game.

The XB1 has allowed this for a while now...

Kurumi

I seriously don't know what they were thinking with Halo 5's campaign.

343: "Hey you get to play as Master Chief with his old team!

Me: "Oh hell yeah!!"

343: "But only for a few missions."

Me: What?...

Maybe if they gave me a reason to care about Team Osiris then it might've been different.

Nephtes

The XB1 has allowed this for a while now...

It's like you didn't read what I said... Oh wait, because you didn't.
If you had friend, you'd have seen the sentence previous to your snipper clipped quote to see that I don't want to have to remap buttons at a system level just to play Halo 5. That's what I'm having to do to get the control scheme in Halo 5 the way I want...

Because when I'm done playing Halo 5, then I have to go through the hassle of mapping them back.

#FirstWorldProblems
#WhyDontPeopleReadGoodNoMore

Kalentan

id like to see what else they can make besides halo TBH.

343i was made to make Halo. It's the reason their name is is quite literally a character from the series. People go to work at 343i to make Halo, you do not go to 343i in the hopes of making something not Halo, if you did, then why did you join them?

People need to get the idea out of their head that 343i will be making anything other than Halo.

If an employee wanted to make something not Halo, I have no doubt Microsoft (if an eligable position is open of course) would probably shuffle them around to another studio.

Nephtes

343i was made to make Halo. It's the reason their name is is quite literally a character from the series. People go to work at 343i to make Halo, you do not go to 343i in the hopes of making something not Halo, if you did, then why did you join them?

People need to get the idea out of their head that 343i will be making anything other than Halo.

If an employee wanted to make something not Halo, I have no doubt Microsoft (if an eligable position is open of course) would probably shuffle them around to another studio.

What if... Now hear me out here...what if 343 made a game that on the surface, was not Halo. Like at all.
Maybe it takes place in like modern day New York or something... I don't know.
And in Metal Gear Sold 2 fashion, at the end of the game, hahaha 343 fooled you, this is totally tied to Halo in some super significant way you just didn't find out till the end...?

Hopefully taking their sweet time to make an awesome Halo game. I think MS took a note from Bethesda with Fallout 4 and the backfiring of Scalebound, Fable Legends, and closing Lionhead that they don't wanna talk about any games unless they're coming out within the next year. I'm betting an E3/Xbox One X showcase in 2018 and it comes out in Oct 2018.

Kalentan

What if... Now hear me out here...what if 343 made a game that on the surface, was not Halo. Like at all.
Maybe it takes place in like modern day New York or something... I don't know.
And in Metal Gear Sold 2 fashion, at the end of the game, hahaha 343 fooled you, this is totally tied to Halo in some super significant way you just didn't find out till the end...?

I mean I'd be very surprised that Microsoft allowed them to do that.

But a Halo game in a very different style set during the Rainforest Wars or the Interplanetary Wars would be dope.

HM-Interplanetary_War-2.jpg

Already got a visual of what the Interplanetary War looked like.

Marcel

Maybe 343 can figure out how to make a boss that isn't the same trash multiple times and then three pieces of the same trash fighting you at the same time as the final "boss".

Imagine if Bungie never left MS and Destiny was as is but in the Halo universe. I'd be down for a different direction Halo like that.

Whatever they're doing I'm happy for them to take their time and make it awesome. We don't need a cgi launch trailer several years in advance either.

I'm honestly not convinced that Bungie would have wanted that, though I definitely don't think Microsoft would have let them make a game like Destiny as a new IP. As much as I loved the Halo games under Bungie, reading the article that Waypoint published a while back was really eye opening.

nekkid

It's like you didn't read what I said... Oh wait, because you didn't.
If you had friend, you'd have seen the sentence previous to your snipper clipped quote to see that I don't want to have to remap buttons at a system level just to play Halo 5. That's what I'm having to do to get the control scheme in Halo 5 the way I want...

Because when I'm done playing Halo 5, then I have to go through the hassle of mapping them back.

#FirstWorldProblems
#WhyDontPeopleReadGoodNoMore

I misread what you meant. I was just trying to give you some information that might have helped you that you may not have been aware of. No need to be a prick about it.

Edit: I meant misread, not misunderstood.

Fatmanp

Halo needs to get away from the gimmicky gameplay additions like sprint, clamber and spartan charge.They have never fit in Halo and to the people who say that H5 nailed the multiplayer. Why is it so low on the most played charts of XBL? 343 would be better off rebranding the multiplayer than something other than Halo because it is not Halo.

The Halo books were absolutely excellent.

I hate what they are doing with the story here though.
Far too soon for the earth to go thru another end of the world event.
I am just hoping the just focus on Master Chief and end it. Halo 5 as a mutliplayer game was great but not at all Halo. As a single player shooter? Ughhh

Nephtes

I misread what you meant. I was just trying to give you some information that might have helped you that you may not have been aware of. No need to be a prick about it.

Here's what I said:
Putting a control scheme in Halo 5 that mimics Destiny and Destiny 2's bumper jumper so I don't have to change my button mappings at a system level to play Halo 5...

I don't know how I could have stated what I stated more clearly.
My only hope is that Stinkles is reading this and finally gets the team to implement custom button mappings in game or copies Destiny's bumper jumper as an official control scheme...

nekkid

Here's what I said:

I don't know how I could have stated what I stated more clearly.
My only hope is that Stinkles is reading this and finally gets the team to implement button mappings in game or copies Destiny's bumper jumper as an official control scheme...

Yes. I misread it. I acknowledged that. You didn’t need the snark to just say that you’d already mentioned it. Especially when I was trying to help.

Van Bur3n

The problem was that that opinion on H2 softened over time to the point where most people (including 343i) have forgotten how much folks were annoyed you didn’t play a big chunk of the game as MC.

Yeah but the Arbiter was actually cool and introduced an interesting story arc in the Halo universe with the Covenant.

Locke (took me a while to remember the name) and Osiris are about as interesting as a rock.

Not to mention the story of Halo 5 is just a huge shark jumping moment in the series where things just start getting ridiculous. At least after the lame cliff hanger of Halo 2 there was something to look forward to. Finish the fight. can't say I look forward to where the story of Halo 6 will leave off after the nonsense of Halo 5.

I am positive they are going to bring them and the Precursors into play

I think the Precursors will be for the next trilogy. This current trilogy I think can be viewed as a learning process one for 343. The Precursors are something they haven't butchered because lets face it the Forerunners were botched and wasted. I still remember the hype I got from reading about the Primordial in Cryptum. That lore and possibility makes me really excited for the possibilities if executed right.

As for Halo 6 I think they're going to a closer announce and release to make it more of an event and pack the hype closer rather than losing steam as well as stops a feeling of fatigue even though it releases every 3 years. I would love to see the Halo wars 2 art director Jeremy Cook on it. I love his direction compared to the FPS counterpart. His Sci fi military take looks dope, it pays respect to the iconic style of Halo rather than making it look "anime" in terms of character designs.

Hopefully they've gotten a better writer because H5 story wasn't very good imo. Looking forward to when we finally see it, I think they've learned a lot.

Top Bottom