• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It has been almost one year since Amiibo released, what is your ''Amiibo score''?

Ended up with 10.

Shulk
Charizard
Zelda
Jigglypuff
Link
Robin
Rosalina
Sheik
Lucina
Samus

And then I got fed up with the bollocks around their incompetently handled releases, crap game integration, and the general ridiculous number of them, and swore off them.

Saying that, I'll get that Wolf Link and Midna one, but purely as a cool figurine, not as an Amiibo. Same for any more potential FE Awakening or Fates characters.

Seriously though, fuck Amiibos and how Nintendo have handled them. It's just a way to take advantage of their ever decreasing hardcore fanbases blind loyalty and lack of impulse control.

SigSig

I have a Yarn Yoshi, Shiek, Wii Fit Trainer, Wario and Ness.
I badly need to get at least Samus, ZSS, Cpt. Falcon and Lucas.
And the Animal Crossing Amiibos. And basically all of them :(

ninjabat

With a very very low balling estimate (only counting Amiibo figures, not cards, each valued at just 13€, which is lowballing it considerably): 1079€! That's about what I have spent on videogames (and Amiibos) this year and last year combined. And this is with 550€ going towards an Xbone, a 3DS XL and a New 3DS over that period of time (and overall about 50 games)...

Thanks for the reply. Damn this is serious business. The collection will probably be worth a lot in 20 years time.

eRonin

I've got just a handful; Captain Falcon, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer from Smash, and the Inkling Girl only from Splatoon. Wolf Link looks tempting though!

blitzkrieg184

Neo Member
I only have the characters I like to use in smash and the characters I adore. So Yoshi, Lucina, Zero Suit Samus, Little Mac, Charizard, Greninja, and green yarn Yoshi. Probably get mega yarn Yoshi too... He's one of my favourite video game characters. And I'll probably try and grab Ryu and Cloud when they get one. I think they're cute and I like having them on my shelf so I don't mind having a little collection. Can't imagine buying them all though.

fhqwhgads

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Yoshi
Captain Falcon (The figure itself was eaten by my dog)
King Dedede
Mr Game and Watch

I'm looking to get Dr Mario in future so I'll have one for each of my smash mains across the series.

Ikon

Super Smash Bros series
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Samus
Villager
Pikachu
Kirby
Marth
Pit
Rosalina
Bowser
Ike
Lucina
Wario
Charizard
Ness
Greninja
Jigglypuff
Palutena
Dark Pit
Ganondorf
Bowser Jr.
Olimar
Score : 22/53

Super Mario series
Mario
Toad
8-Bit Mario (Classic version)
Score : 3/10

Splatoon series
Score : 0/3

Yoshi series
Score : 0/4

Animal Crossing series
Score : 0/8

Chibi-Robo! series
Score : 0/1

Skylanders Amiibo

Amiibo cards
Score : 0/104

Amiibo figures score : 25/83
Amiibo cards score : 0/104

Final score : 25/187

I still want:
King Dedede
Robin
Mewtwo
Inkling Squid
Isabelle
Mabel
Ryu
Cloud

I think as a whole I regret buying these things but all in all its not a huge financial loss either way.

Atwa

Banned
Yarn Yoshi
Link
Squid Girl

Going to get KK and Isabelle from the Animal Crossing lineup.

I don't really care about features, I just find the figures cool for being so cheap.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013

I don't care about the functionality of them, and I prefer making my own Nintendo figures out of paper.

I really haven't done much Wii U stuff this gen, it has very few games that really interest me.

Super Smash Bros series
Mario
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Fox
Kirby
Little Mac
Pit
Captain Falcon
Toon Link
Ike
Shulk
Mega Man
Ganondorf
Dr. Mario
Bowser Jr.
Olimar

Score : 16/53

Super Mario series

8-Bit Mario (Modern version)

Score : 1/10

Splatoon series
Inkling Boy
Inkling Girl
Inkling Squid

Score : 3/3

Yoshi series

Animal Crossing series

Score : 0/8

Chibi-Robo! series

Score : 0/1

Skylanders Amiibo
Hammer Slam Bowser
Turbo Charge Donkey Kong

Score : 2/4

Amiibo cards

Score : 0/104

Final score : 22/187

Was afraid I was going to have more honestly.

kewlmyc

I have:

Shulk
Villager
Bowser
Toon Link
Lucario
Pit
Dark Pit
Palutena

I might try to get the Ryu, but I doubt it since I'm not that into amiibos anymore.

Cleve

I bought the splatoon 3 pack and smash bros link.

I'm definitely done there though. I don't like the look of most of the figures and I don't care for how they're paywalling content behind them in so many games.

Macka

None so far. I wanted a Samus at launch, but after checking one out in-store, the paint job wasn't fantastic.

I might get a Mewtwo though, the one I saw in a store looked good, and the joins on his arms and legs don't stand out because they look like that on his actual design too.

Kenpa64

I own just 8.

Smash Bros series:
Shulk
Link
Samus
Rosalina
Yoshi
Kirby

The Yarn blue Yoshi and a squid amiibo from Splatoon. Not that many.

I have two, one opened and one sealed, of every currently released US Amiibo except for sealed Gold Mario, Ike, and MetaKnight. I have all the US released Animal Crossing cards.

All current Smash series, the original Yarn trio and Toad. Doubles of a handful, like Charizard and Mew Two. All sealed.

Never cared for Classic Mario or AC (though these do look sweet). Main intention is to complete the Smash line and then go case by case.

They take up a crap ton of space in a sealed state.

Marth
Fox
Inkling boy

I want that squid, kid bowser (koopa Jr.?) and falco, maybe wolf link. I don't need these things mind you, or take them out if the packaging.

Am I doing it wrong

Dedede

Neo Member
Zero. I've thought about picking one up before, but I've never been able to justify the cost when I could just put my "fun money" toward buying actual games. My sister wants a Kirby, so I'll buy one for her this coming holiday; if I really like how it looks, I might get one for myself, but I can't see myself collecting them.

And I didn't realize just how many there are now. 187, that's crazy.

Smash Bros.:
Dr. Mario
Bowser Jr.
Diddy Kong
Samus
Mewtwo
Greninja
Captain Falcon
Mr. Game & Watch
Pit
R.O.B.
Pac-Man
Duck Hunt

Other:
Inkling Boy
Inkling Girl
Classic 8-Bit Mario
Green Yarn Yoshi

16 total.

I stopped actively pre-ordering amiibo after the Wave 4 preorders. I pretty only buy what I see in-store now. The Retro 3-pack is an exception because it didn't sell out.

EDIT: Got Mewtwo today, so I added him.

Seven. Ness, Dedede, Pac-Man, classic 8-bit Mario and the Splatoon three.

The only ones I've used for in-game content have been the Splatoon ones (I ended up spending more on the amiibo than the game itself but Splatoon has been my GOTY so I don't mind).

As a collector of pretty much all the toys-to-life lines, I am constantly amazed at the lack of quality control on amiibos. I have seen figures in the package that are coming apart, backwards, bent in weird places, broken at times, and have wildly differentiating paint apps even in the same shipment. Recently I found a Shulk whose sword was bent in a 180 degree parabola because it was smushed against the packaging. Every Shulk on the rack had its sword at a different angle, in fact. I had to look through an entire peg full of Star Foxes just to find one that didn't have missing paint on its nose.

I have never seen quality control issues like this on any of the competing brands. Never have I seen Skylanders or Disney Infinity figures broken in the package or with such different paint job quality. Makes me wonder what in the hell is going on at Nintendo and who they're using for their QC and manufacturing. The amiibos don't seem more complex than Skylanders, at the very least, yet it's increasingly tough to find decent ones on the pegs. Not what I usually expect from Nintendo.
These issues are why I stick to the simpler figures as I only buy online. Even then there a number of problems easily seen close up (minor faults in the assembly when observed close up)

If the Shovel Knight Amiibo thing ever happens though I'll buy it day 0.
It is due out in Europe on 11th December 2015.

Mihos

Gold Member
So basically, some of you spent as much as buying a new console. Or at least as much as a VR headset

Firemind

I have like 6? I already have Shulk so whoever else is a bonus. I really just want Falco, Roy and Cloud, maybe Ryu and Mewtwo as well. I would have gotten Link, Ganondorf, Marth and Ike if the sculpts weren't awful.

carlo6529

I actually don't have any somewhat proudly. I like them a lot though, High quality figurines but at what point do you draw the line?

braves01

Banned
Game & Watch
Duck Hunt
R.O.B.
Super Mario 30th Anniversary
Donkey Kong
Bowser (Smash version)
Toon Link
Pit

The only one I really regret is Pit, just got caught up in the hype. The pixel Mario one is the best, looks coolest and best added functionality.

NeonZ

Mario
Link
Samus
Marth
Ike
Lucina
Robin
Mega Man

In-game use matters a lot for most of my later purchases. Marth, Ike, Lucina and Robin add themselves as playable characters for Codename STEAM and Fire Emblem Fates. The Mario Kart Mii costume which looks like a Mega Man cosplay, pushed me to buying the Mega Man Amiibo (so, with an appropriate Mii, it's like adding a bootleg Mega Man to the game).

Freeman

Banned
0. Disappointed that Nintendo focused so much on this instead of pushing something else. I don't mind them existing but they've become a bigger part of their strategy than I think they should be.

c-murph

0. Disappointed that Nintendo focused so much on this instead of pushing something else. I don't mind them existing but they've become a bigger part of their strategy than I think they should be.

Me thinks they need a dedicated amiibo game.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It'd be easier to list the amiibo I don't have.

Pit
Ike
Lucario
Greninja
Lucina
Robin
Famicom R.O.B.
Mii Brawler
Mii Swordfighter
Mii Gunner
Modern 8-Bit Mario
K.K. Slider
Reese
Cyrus
Tom Nook
Mabel
All four Skylander amiibo.

I'm glad that the next major drop after Lottie next Sunday isn't until January.

All the Smash guys, silver & 8-bit mario, green yarn yoshi, a mario series bowser, the splatoon guys, and 3 packs worth of the amiibo cards. I'll probably end up getting the AC Festival bundle and maybe tom nook. I made the mistake of telling myself I'd buy all the Smash bros guys...

Waveset

I got Mr Game & Watch cos I love those machines, ordered a Wii U for Christmas and Amiibo Festival for my daughter so that'll bring it up to 3, after that I think TPHD figure will be next.

Zyrox

Don't have any. Was never into figurines, and I couldn't afford them anyway, even if I wanted to. Though I have to compliment Nintendo on this whole Amiibo thing, genius business idea. People seem to go crazy over them. Good for Nintendo. I just hope they don't lock any meaningful content to those figures or if they do, give us also alternative ways to earn that content (like in Super Mario Maker).

HardRojo

34 so far. I don't care that much about the Splatoon amiibo, the Chibi Robo amiibo, the Skylander ones and the Animal Crossing amiibo (except for KK). I plan to finish my Smash collection, Super Mario collection and get the three Yarn Yoshis.

Top Bottom