• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It is 2021 and I am seriously considering buying a Wii U.

Jaxcellent

Its a pretty cool system, but i would wait out for the switch pro if i was you..
Only get it if you can get it extremely cheap like a hondo with a coupla games from your list.

I guess most games i like already received ports for switch, except Xenoblade chronicles X. Still would like to play that, anyone know what Monolith has been up to?

I bought a couple Wii U systems in mint condition along with a bunch of games about two years ago. Still haven't played em. Lol But I wanted them for the collection. I already had a pretty good collection of Wii and GameCube games so I figured why not? Have fun. :) I'll be referencing this thread for game recommendations....

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I bought a couple Wii U systems in mint condition along with a bunch of games about two years ago. Still haven't played em. Lol But I wanted them for the collection. I already had a pretty good collection of Wii and GameCube games so I figured why not? Have fun. :) I'll be referencing this thread for game recommendations....

My Wii U collection

Games I Have Physical

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Bayonetta 2
Yoshi's Woolly World
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Fast Racing Neo
Game & Wario
Hello Kitty Kruisers
Hyrule Warriors
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Lego City Undercover
Mario Kart 8
New Super Mario Bros. U + New Luigi U
Nintendo Land
Paper Mario: Color Splash
Pikmin 3
Rayman Legends
Splatoon
Super Mario 3D World
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE (limited edition version)
Wii Fit U
Wii Party U
Wii Sports Club
The Wonderful 101
Xenoblade Chronicles X
ZombiU
Art Academy: Home Studio

Still need to buy

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

I also own a couple games from the Eshop, not a lot. Tactics Ogre 64, Yoshi Story 64, Paper Mario 64 I think those are the only ones.

I dont own a Switch yet.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
if it has games you want to play that aren't available anywhere else then go for it. it'd be stupid though to use it to play games like BOTW, Smash, 3D World, or any of the other games that were ported to Switch.

but generally i would advise against buying it. it's not that great a console and i'll be very surprised if that Switch Pro isn't happening. it seems only a matter of time. i done the same thing in selling my Switch when rumors started coming out. i had a wii u for a few days in 2017. i regretted the purchase and returned it.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
OP just pull the trigger on the purchase it’s a console that gets disrespected, every time I play the Wii U I have a good time, period. The Wii U Gamepad is great for Zelda games (weapon change, bottles, songs etc.) the store is still alive and healthy but might die off, as Switch is definitely Nintendo’s future.

DonJorginho

Banned
OP just pull the trigger on the purchase it’s a console that gets disrespected, every time I play the Wii U I have a good time, period. The Wii U Gamepad is great for Zelda games (weapon change, bottles, songs etc.) the store is still alive and healthy but might die off, as Switch is definitely Nintendo’s future.
OP has already bought the console, read the thread :)
ain't nobody got time for that.

most people are gonna just read the OP and comment.

Have updated the OP to make people aware I have bought it, had Super Mario 3D World arrive today and have the console and BOTW coming on Monday and Tuesday respectively

I'll always cherish the Wii U as my favorite Nintendo system overall. Bought the ZombiU bundle in 2013, and gave me some of my most memorable gaming experiences, single player, FREE online multiplayer which is part of what sold me on it, and most memorable the local multiplayer! Asymmetric multiplayer on the Wii U is really special, so much memories playing and taking turns with Gamepad/Wiimotes or Pro controller and vice versa. NintendoLand, ZombiU, Rayman Legends, even The Wonderful 101 even are fun in local multiplayer! I want to get a white Wii U to complete my little Wii U collection

DonJorginho

Banned
Wii U acquired with a spare wiimote plus and some games to go alongside it, all for £145/$199 in total! A good haul imo, loving my time with it so far!

Lk8YrZM.jpg

Meesh

I set up my Wii U similarly to what is described in this thread. Two SD readers occupy the back 2 USB ports; one contains all my Wii U games ripped from disc, the other all my Wii and GameCube games. Add in RetroArch and it is really an amazing amount of content available on a single system.
2... SD readers... 2 SD readers???!!!! In place of the good old hard drive?? I can't believe this never occurred to me!!!

SpiceRacz

Congrats OP.

Question for fellow Wii U owners. When the eshop shuts down, and I assume it will be in 2021 or 2022 max. Will you still be able to download game updates and DLC?

I have a stack of Wii U games, some unopened, as I basically bought everything I wanted physical to enjoy later. I also have some DLC like Breath of the Wild, Pikmin and Mario Kart.

How will it work with game updates and DLC?

I assume that will still be available, but who knows. Worst case scenario, you can softmod your console then download and install downloads/DLC.

2... SD readers... 2 SD readers???!!!! In place of the good old hard drive?? I can't believe this never occurred to me!!!
Ha ha - yeah, I had the same reaction when I first read the post describing the setup. It works great and I've noticed no difference between SD card readers and a standard hard drive.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Recently got DK: Tropical Freeze and Arkham City. Not too keen on Tropical Freeze, I know it's highly regarded but I've never been a big DK fan. It's me, not the game.

Arkham City on the other hand is fantastic. It's crazy how well certain games look on the 480p gamepad. Plays really well too.

My next purchase is probably going to be Need for Speed, Tekken Tag, or Ninja Gaiden 3. Trying to get all the big 3rd party games before they become scarce/expensive.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Recently got DK: Tropical Freeze and Arkham City. Not too keen on Tropical Freeze, I know it's highly regarded but I've never been a big DK fan. It's me, not the game.

Arkham City on the other hand is fantastic. It's crazy how well certain games look on the 480p gamepad. Plays really well too.

My next purchase is probably going to be Need for Speed, Tekken Tag, or Ninja Gaiden 3. Trying to get all the big 3rd party games before they become scarce/expensive.
Just started a playthrough of Tropical Freeze myself. It's damn fun, but it is a challenging game in the best way possible. Looks great too. Jumping back and forth between this and playing Metroid Prime Wii edition and Super Mario Strikers(via Nintendont) too many games and not enough time. My wife just picked up SM3DW on Switch too and we've been going through that in co-op, which I find to be much much better than the Wii U version.

Played a bunch of Nintendoland and Wario mini-games with my family and buddy last Saturday and we had a great time. Mario Chase and Luigi's Ghost Hunt on Nintendoland and Steal the Pineapples in Wario is so damn fun on the Wii U. So glad I dug that thing out and fixed it. Replacing the cracked gamepad screen was annoying, but it was worth it.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
How's the Wii U as a homebrew machine? anyone got any experience with it? Thinking between this or the Vita
It's fantastic. I have NES/SNES/Sega Genesis with a ton of games on mine along with a bunch of Gamecube and Wii games. Played a bunch of games with my buddy over the weekend and we just had a huge nostalgia trip jumping into Bonanza Bros/Zombies ate my Neighbors and then into Gauntlet Legends and Baldurs Gate. You can use a ton of different controller options too if needed.

Very VERY easy to set up as well.

Top Bottom