• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It looks like even Ratchet’s eyes are Ray Traced in Rift Apart

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
“It looks like a Pixar movie!”

unknown.png

You will have all heard this reference every time a Ratchet & Clank game is released and every time it rings truer
And we all watched the gameplay in April’s State of Play, but did you see this ?

image.jpg

Now look closer

unknown.png

And closer...

unknown.png

You can see the glove itself rendered and reflected in the cornea of Ratchet’s eye. You wouldn’t think that a small detail such as this is needed.
But it’s all the small details that add up to truly “sell” a 3D scene in looking realistic.

Banned
why wouldn't they be? people seem to think that this is somehow special. it honestly would be weird if they weren't using RT on the eyes. it's not like it costs any performance beyond what the existing surfaces already do, all it takes is to check a box and it's on. usually the eyes are so small on screen that almost no rays will hit them anyways so during gameplay this sorts itself out quite nicely in terms of saving performance

so yeah... that's why you see RT reflections in eyes in this and in Control or Battlefield, no reason not to.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
some insane detail in this game , the screenshots in that DF thread are really stunning and show amazing detail , this launches in june right? 6 months after launch and ps5/insomniac getting results out , i wonder what guerilla and naughty dog will achieve on this hardware

harmny

Banned
looks great. and funny that no one is complaining about the chromatic aberration or radial vignette like blur that is present in the entire demo

Last edited:

rob305

Isnt that the whole point of Ray Tracing? Everything has a reflection that has a reflective material? So since the eye material is glassy it just reflects?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Isnt that the whole point of Ray Tracing? Everything has a reflection that has a reflective material? So since the eye material is glassy it just reflects?
Sort of.. like most games using rt now for reflections you can choose what reflects and the quality of the models and rendering in that reflection.

In this scene they could have made only the hand reflecting and at a low quality at that.

Either way it is effective but there’s a lot of options to raytracing, it’s not just one switch to say either do or don’t render.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
In 2007 we thought Mario Galaxy looked like a Pixar movie :D took 15 more years to maybe get there :D

Ray tracing is a philosophy and not a technology. If you feel superior to something else, that’s raytracing. i.e look at those raytraced trust fund babies in their shiny cars.

Or as Hitler boldy proclaimed:

die deutsche rasse ist ray traced

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'd say it's SSR effects, not sure though i could be wrong

HITMAN 3 SSR comes to mind

SSR only works on what's shown on screen not off screen, and makes a duplicate. It's very easy to have weird results with it. This is only RT, no way around it because it's reflecting something not shown on screen.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It is not only reflecting the glove, but it is also reflecting the glove + the background purple neon light that itself is reflecting on a glove or nearby surface. Gorgeous!

LMJ

So here's the thing angry 9fanbois? PC Master Race Lombax haters) folks... When people are saying this game looks like a CGI movie or Toy Story they are referring to this one

not this one lol

toy story dog GIF

Yes from a technological level we're likely NEVER going to get there, but on a purely visual level we are getting damn close lol and yeah the new R and C looks phenominal

Orta

Banned
So here's the thing angry 9fanbois? PC Master Race Lombax haters) folks... When people are saying this game looks like a CGI movie or Toy Story they are referring to this one

The oldest worst looking one you mean.

Game does look absolutely beautiful I have to say, gameplay wise its as generic as 3D action platformers come.

LMJ

Well part of your issue is thinking it's a platformer lol It's a third person shooter with light platforming...R and C is not mario, nor was it ever trying to be.

The game has always been a series that's narrative heavy character based and the gameplay has shined around the guns. if that doesn't sound intriguing than you're looking at the wrong game lol

that having been said they have also ever since Going Commando also featured

Team Combat
Puzzles
Mini-games
Rail Grinding ala Sonic Adventure 2
Tower Defense (not my favorite)
2d shooter mini games
Races
Hell shooter combat
Space shooter
Arena Combat
New game + mode
Skill sheet/Achievement lists(well before Gamer Score was a thing)

As for the guns themselves, well they evolve, they can be modified in the latest games and of course they are incredibly creative! And that above Orta Orta is why these games continue to sell and why they created a loyal fan in me all the way back on the PS2.

It may sound boring to you, but being dropped into varied hostile environments via rifts while I'm fighting a boss/villain sounds amazing to me

ripeavocado

Banned
Why people could waste time to open such pointless thrads instead of just learning the basics of ray tracing in 5 minutes?

It's the tech of the generation and you haven't even invested few minutes in understading what it does?

Of course they receive raytraced reflections, like everything else, that's how raytracing is supposed to work.

Last edited:

BlackTron

The oldest worst looking one you mean.

Game does look absolutely beautiful I have to say, gameplay wise its as generic as 3D action platformers come.

Have you ever played R&C?

It's Jet Force Gemini on massive steroids.

Top Bottom