• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT - Official Trailer 1

Could do without the Danny Elfman sounding score as the boat sails down the street and some camerawork (eg. zoom on the sewer hole).
Those give the clip an early 90s cinematography feel, maybe intentionally so
I felt like the Spielbergian vibe at the start was completely intentional

That goddamned stare. Give me more of that movie and we're good.

Edit: I'd just started the book last night actually and that scene unnerved me just as much. Can't wait to see the rest of it.

Tell me about the Circus, George.

That was pretty freaky. I'm gonna miss Tim Curry's "They float" face.

p83ar.gif

It's like he's telling a kid with cancer that he's going to live.

New Pennywise's eyes though...I can't look away.
Lord, that man is scary. The way he blends a grimace into a smile is fun to watch over and over.

Lord, that man is scary. The way he blends a grimace into a smile is fun to watch over and over.

Yeah nothing will top Curry for me. His version of pennywise has haunted a good chunk of my childhood. Hell I still get scared when I watch clips of the miniseries. His performance coupled with my childhood trauma of seeing the series at a young age has scarred me forever.

Edit: I think his black eyebrows and red soaked eyes coupled with the unnatural hair is what makes him scary for me. And that grimace yes.

Garlador

Yeah nothing will top Curry for me. His version of pennywise has haunted a good chunk of my childhood. Hell I still get scared when I watch clips of the miniseries. His performance coupled with my childhood trauma of seeing the series at a young age has scarred me forever.

Edit: I think his black eyebrows and red soaked eyes coupled with the unnatural hair is what makes him scary for me. And that grimace yes.

If I'm remembering correctly... that's Tim Curry's actual hair!

Garlador

What? I highly doubt it. It looks pretty fake. He has dark curly hair and a full head of it. Id like to be proven wrong though bug nahh I dont think so.

Yeah, it was a popular myth, apparently debunked as I researched it further.

I'm still digesting the new portrayal. Tim Curry's voice was scary straight out, but this version is almost sugary sweet at first, but clearly disingenuous. It's like the creature is capable of replicating humanity but only bits of pieces at a time.

Yeah, it was a popular myth, apparently debunked as I researched it further.

I'm still digesting the new portrayal. Tim Curry's voice was scary straight out, but this version is almost sugary sweet at first, but clearly disingenuous. It's like the creature is capable of replicating humanity but only bits of pieces at a time.
That's the sense I got too, that it's not a normal clown like Curry portrayed It but rather a clown human suit over whatever that guttural growling...thing was in the darkness, getting into that role to placate its prey but those hungry animal instincts are too strong to completely hide

norm9

Rewatched part 1 of the tv series. Still holds up. The kids were great too. Hype levels for this new one is off the charts.

Sullichin

Having watched the show before reading the book, he's all I picture as adult Bill so it's alright with me. The other adults too.

I get this too but I hate it. I pretty much picture the miniseries cast when reading the book and it's all fine except for adult Bill. He doesn't look how he's described. Although I did learn recently that the child actor who played Bill committed suicide when he was just 27. He was good. That sucks.

As for the new Pennywise...after seeing the clip I can't even pretend to make the argument that Tim Curry is better. THIS is Pennywise. Curry's performance was classic but this is way creepier, more alien, uneasy and faithful to the character and tone of the story.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
That was fuckin good. That little bit of
black drool that comes out of his mouth as he stares at georgie too
. IT scared me as a child and it seems like it'll scare me as an adult.

Kebiinu

Banned
The subtle drool from his lips as he's talking to Georgie gave me chills. Great buildup, too. And the eyes...that light in them is hypnotic. Forgot what they called it in the book, but his portrayal is spot on. Very excited.

eso76

I get this too but I hate it. I pretty much picture the miniseries cast when reading the book and it's all fine except for adult Bill. He doesn't look how he's described. Although I did learn recently that the child actor who played Bill committed suicide when he was just 27. He was good. That sucks.

Bill was supposed to be bald for starters..

This is how I always imagined him

The one they casted with the pony tail..ugh..
Young Bill was a much better actor, I also recently learned he committed suicide. :(

Most kids were very good (NOT Beverly, though).
Adults were all bad.
John Ritter as Ben is the only one I'd save.

I felt like the Spielbergian vibe at the start was completely intentional

I think so, makes sense on many levels. Clever if so.

Spoo

That stare was so damn unnerving.

But I also love that Curry line of "They Float." And how he delivered it.

I suspect that now that Pennywise uses Georgie to say that line, it would feel redundant if they had it at the start of the movie.

Plus, lets face it, the more the dialogue changes from what it "expected" by the miniseries standards, the more people have an opportunity to be surprised. Chasing the Pennywise dialogue from the miniseries wouldn't just be the wrong idea because you're stomping on Curry's playground, but because it's a new adaptation the new should mix better with the old. Just rechewing Curry's lines would be a shortcut to inferiority. This new Pennywise seems to be channeling something else, so the way the lines people love are going to be seen, it'll feel like a "remix" in a way for people who are more familiar with the miniseries.

Sullichin

I suspect that now that Pennywise uses Georgie to say that line, it would feel redundant if they had it at the start of the movie.

Plus, lets face it, the more the dialogue changes from what it "expected" by the miniseries standards, the more people have an opportunity to be surprised. Chasing the Pennywise dialogue from the miniseries wouldn't just be the wrong idea because you're stomping on Curry's playground, but because it's a new adaptation the new should mix better with the old. Just rechewing Curry's lines would be a shortcut to inferiority. This new Pennywise seems to be channeling something else, so the way the lines people love are going to be seen, it'll feel like a "remix" in a way for people who are more familiar with the miniseries.

Also, as much as I love the scene, I always thought the book (and ESPECIALLY the mini series) relied on saying variations of "we all float down here" a bit too much. I mean none of the others were around George when it happened, wouldn't they be like wtf why's this guy talking about floating? Seems like Curry's Pennywise talked about floating in every scene he was in.

I'm fine with a demonic/dead/whatever Georgie tittering and screaming this to Bill. That works.

I wonder how gruesome they'll make this scene (and others). If I recall from the book Georgie goes out in a pretty graphic way. IT rips off his arm and leaves him to bleed to death or something
Let's just say that the Fukunaga script made that book moment seem tame

hydruxo

Some hi-res images from Entertainment Weekly:

Bill Skarsgard (Netflix's Hemlock Grove) takes over the white-face and blood-red grin of Pennywise from Tim Curry, who memorably played the part in the 1990 TV miniseries. The challenge, according to director Andy Muschietti (2013's Mama) is that the clown is so in-your-face.

”He is present. It's not like one of those movies where you can hide the monster," the filmmaker says. ”He's front and center, he does his show, and he has an act. He is a clown."

It's just that ... Pennywise is really entertaining himself, taking the form of whatever frightens his prey the most, but always defaulting to the shape of this unsettling harlequin.

”It truly enjoys the shape of the clown Pennywise, and enjoys the game and the hunt," says Skarsgard. ”What's funny to this evil entity might not be funny to everyone else. But he thinks it's funny."

The key to bringing King's most iconic villain to life? ”Keep it weird," Muschietti says. ”It's weird all the time. Pennywise does things that make absolutely no sense, but they're very disturbing because of the weirdness."

I got to say, I'm a tad disappointed that they split the story in the two parts the way they did. Reading the book, at least in the beginning, the adult's reactions to the fateful call sells both just how much of a mindfuck, how much of a threat It is, and how close their childhood friendship was.

But it probably works better that way as a movie

Spoo

I got to say, I'm a tad disappointed that they split the story in the two parts the way they did. Reading the book, at least in the beginning, the adult's reactions to the fateful call sells both just how much of a mindfuck, how much of a threat It is, and how close their childhood friendship was.

But it probably works better that way as a movie

On the bright side, if they play their cards right, they can create a super-edit down the road that plays to the back-and-forth of the book's storytelling. This is pretty much the only way it can work in theatres, but once it's in peoples' blu-ray players all bets are off.

Sullichin

On the bright side, if they play their cards right, they can create a super-edit down the road that plays to the back-and-forth of the book's storytelling. This is pretty much the only way it can work in theatres, but once it's in peoples' blu-ray players all bets are off.

Yeah I'm really hoping for that.

I read in an interview that if they do part 2 (which I'm assuming will definitely happen now), they're considering having flashbacks / scenes of the kids that aren't in the first movie.

The back and forth in the book is one of the things that makes it great.

Spoo

Yeah I'm really hoping for that.

I read in an interview that if they do part 2 (which I'm assuming will definitely happen now), they're considering having flashbacks / scenes of the kids that aren't in the first movie.

The back and forth in the book is one of the things that makes it great.

I know they haven't filmed anything that is meant for this purpose, but assuming they work quickly they can absolutely do this. It would actually be really great, since it basically means anything they left out they can in essence bring back. When you think about it, the adults section of the story really is contextualized by their memories, and while there's plenty of ground to travel with their part of the story, it's all one big lead-up to the climax of the story rather than having a distinct beginning middle and end like the kids part.

If they didn't do flashbacks, they'd had to be a bit more creative with the adults parts, I think, to make that flow better and be comparably scary.

Let's just say that the Fukunaga script made that book moment seem tame

Maybe It's just me but I always imagined Georgie getting rocked back and forth violently like a ragdoll while screaming until Pennywise/IT tore his arm off. I also pictured Evil Dead style blood geysers.

Top Bottom