• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT - Official Trailer 1

Boke1879

Watched this earlier

Holy fuck. That moment Pennywise literally loses control and just stares at Georgie drooling...god damn. Skarsgard is a fucking demon in this role.

Yup that's what made the scene. How he just literally stopped and just stared. Made the whole encounter unsettling.

GhaleonEB

Just kept seeing people talk about drool.

The scene was very good. It was part of Georgie's interaction with Pennywise in the storm drain, which was really well acted and had a lot of nuance. It was our first real look at Pennywise, and the actor nails the feeling that there's something fundamentally off about him (other than him being in the storm drain) without going over the top, and the performance is filled with just barely veiled menace. The actor playing Georgie is great.

It also showed how true to the book the portrayal is. Dialogue is not word for word, but Pennywise (and Georgie) are strongly reminiscent of their portrayal in the novel. Huge confidence boost for the film in pretty much every way.

editing is kind of bad on this no ?
the Stranger Things kid magically moves 5 meters between 2 cuts to get closer to the one with the shoe
the kids sentences are way too close together, feels like gilmore girls or something
bad transition to the baloon cut...
maybe Im too old

These clips are usually truncated versions of the actual scenes in the movie to keep the clips short.

hydruxo

These clips are usually truncated versions of the actual scenes in the movie to keep the clips short.

Yeah, and I saw someone on reddit mention that the Pennywise/balloon clip at the end is most likely
from his run in with Patrick Hockstetter, not the main group of kids.
There's a brief shot in the last trailer of
Patrick Hockstetter in the sewers about to get lit on fire.

Kard8p3

Sent a PM, not sure how to do the invisable quote thing.

Thanks! I super appreciate it :)

Was watching a trailer I had missed and it showed a glimpse of the
rock fight
. That quick look at that scene looks way more how I imagined it, compared to the miniseries version

http://i.imgur.com/UoU5F6w.gif

The miniseries version only last like a minute

Didn't it take place in like,
a gravel pit or quarry or something
in the book? Either way I bet it's gonna be good.

The scene was very good. It was part of Georgie's interaction with Pennywise in the storm drain, which was really well acted and had a lot of nuance. It was our first real look at Pennywise, and the actor nails the feeling that there's something fundamentally off about him (other than him being in the storm drain) without going over the top, and the performance is filled with just barely veiled menace. The actor playing Georgie is great.

It also showed how true to the book the portrayal is. Dialogue is not word for word, but Pennywise (and Georgie) are strongly reminiscent of their portrayal in the novel. Huge confidence boost for the film in pretty much every way.
Oh, that's good. I really hope this turns out better than The Dark Tower did. Has it been mentioned if they included the gay couple being attacked in this one? That part always stuck out to me.
Sent a PM, not sure how to do the invisable quote thing.
Can I get one too? :D

Other than years of fear at nights as a kid afterwards, I have almost no memory of the original and hence can't really speak of nostalgia when watching clips of it. With that said, I just saw both Georgie scenes and I sadly gotta say that I find the original notably superior and creepier. Not only because of Curry, but also some of the details in how it plays out. Though I guess the kid is better in the new one.
It's probably going to be a much better coming off age story going by what people say about the original, but the monster is the main thing I care about, so ....pretty de-hyped for now.

Sorry I meant when Pennywise meets Georgie. Is that one edited down too? I hope so.

Oh, the full sewer drain scene I saw that got taken down on tumblr moved at a good pace. It was 3 minutes long? The one that was floating around on youtube a couple days ago was spliced up though and only like 1.5 minutes long and left out a lot of stuff.

Other than years of fear at nights as a kid afterwards, I have almost no memory of the original and hence can't really speak of nostalgia when watching clips of it. With that said, I just saw both Georgie scenes and I sadly gotta say that I find the original notably superior and creepier. Not only because of Curry, but also some of the details in how it plays out. Though I guess the kid is better in the new one.
It's probably going to be a much better coming off age story going by what people say about the original, but the monster is the main thing I care about, so ....pretty de-hyped for now.
In what ways? Like I get different opinions and all, but I just don't see it. It's not even like when you see a horror movie you don't find scary but can see how others might find it scary; the miniseries scene moves way too so fast, Curry is both over the top and way too normal looking, and sounds like an old smoke-a-pack-a-day grandpa, and his Pennywise had none of the menace or otherworldly horror that makes the creature so memorable.

I don't get what people see in his portrayal or his scenes in the miniseries, even more so after finishing the book a few days ago. If anything, after reading the book, his portrayal is like how Stallone's Dredd is compared to Urban's or the comics

If anything, after reading the book, his portrayal is like how Stallone's Dredd is compared to Urban's or the comics

This is a good call

I'd also like to point out that while there's not a lot of music in the new version of the sewer scene, that's not necessarily a negative, whereas there's a lot of music in the miniseries version and it's really distracting and just overall not-good.

Like, as music.

Timu

Oh, the full sewer drain scene I saw that got taken down on tumblr moved at a good pace. It was 3 minutes long? The one that was floating around on youtube a couple days ago was spliced up though and only like 1.5 minutes long and left out a lot of stuff.
There's a near 4 minute clip, but yeah I remember the sewer scene taking up most of that time.

This is a good call

I'd also like to point out that while there's not a lot of music in the new version of the sewer scene, that's not necessarily a negative, whereas there's a lot of music in the miniseries version and it's really distracting and just overall not-good.

Like, as music.

The original has a whole lot of circus music which is laying it on thicker than clown makeup.

There's a near 4 minute clip, but yeah I remember the sewer scene taking up most of that time.

Yeah the one on tumblr ran uninterrupted and started with Stephen King introducing it. The other one is shorter and cut up, probably because the person filming hid their phone.

In what ways? Like I get different opinions and all, but I just don't see it. It's not even like when you see a horror movie you don't find scary but can see how others might find it scary; the miniseries scene moves way too so fast, Curry is both over the top and way too normal looking, and sounds like an old smoke-a-pack-a-day grandpa, and his Pennywise had none of the menace or otherworldly horror that makes the creature so memorable.

I don't get what people see in his portrayal or his scenes in the miniseries, even more so after finishing the book a few days ago. If anything, after reading the book, his portrayal is like how Stallone's Dredd is compared to Urban's or the comics

The new one acts fairly over the top throughout, while Curry only gets melodramatic when he's already hooked the kid and prepares for attack. It's shorter but it actually builds up more. I prefer how
Curry answers "I shouldn't talk to strangers" relatively normal to ease in the kid like a kidnapper - just like the rest of the early dialogue -, while the new one is already in over the top mode shaking at the introduction of his name.

What stands out too is the introduction. In the old one
there's nothing in the sewers, yet looking away shortly and in a snip of a finger some clown appears talking - note, nothing to highlight his sudden appearance (excluding the overall soundtrack). Creepy.

New introduction: JUMPSCARE NOISE; GLOWING CGI EYES

ksbp.gif

Sometimes less is more.

The new one acts fairly over the top throughout, while Curry only gets melodramatic when he's already hooked the kid and prepares for attack. It's shorter but it actually builds up more. I prefer how
Curry answers "I shouldn't talk to strangers" relatively normal to ease in the kid like a kidnapper - just like the rest of the early dialogue -, while the new one is already in over the top mode shaking at the introduction of his name.

What stands out too is the introduction. In the old one
there's nothing in the sewers, yet looking away shortly and in a snip of a finger some clown appears talking - note, nothing to highlight his sudden appearance (excluding the overall soundtrack). Creepy.

New introduction: JUMPSCARE NOISE; GLOWING CGI EYES

ksbp.gif

Sometimes less is more.
Eh. I find Curry's more silly and surreal than creepy.
And the new one emphasized the animalistic predator that is IT, acting like a thing wearing a clown skin suit, just barely being able to hide its otherworldly monstrous nature behind its facade. Of course, besides those hungry stares and salivation like an animal looking at a meal before snapping back its friendly clown disguise. The implications of those quirks and "glitches" in its appearance, like a thing just trying its best to play human, makes it unsettling.

Plus the whole eyes in the darkness is Pennywise and It as intended, complete with that guttural growl of its true form before emerging as the clown, compared to Curry's silly normal clown.

This is a good call

Like, as music.
It always annoyed me that Pennywise had that cheap circus leitmotif in the miniseries.

It sounded terrible, and they played it literally every-time Pennywise appeared on the screen.

Miles X

I just rewatched the original sewer scene on youtube. I can pinpoint a single thing about it that isn't worse than the new one. No suspense, bad acting, no sense of dread and very tacky looking.

It's amazing how much better child actors are these days.

GhaleonEB

I'd never describe Curry's performance as a "silly normal clown". It's really not. That performance scared the living hell out of me as a kid, and I still find it unsettling. It is a pretty big deviation from the books, though. And while I still find it unsettling and interesting, it's not scary to grown-up me.

The new one, as seen in the clip, is scary as hell to me now, though. Maybe that's the difference. Curry's was a child's version of a scary clown. The new one is what an adult knows to be scared of, but would get past a young child. (Such as Georgie.) And as More_Badass said, it's much more nuanced and in line with the book.

Edit:

Tell me about the Circus, George.

That was pretty freaky. I'm gonna miss Tim Curry's "They float" face.

p83ar.gif

It's like he's telling a kid with cancer that he's going to live.

New Pennywise's eyes though...I can't look away.

Like, I find that really creepy and effective.

Top Bottom