• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT - Official Trailer 1

From what I recall, King started writing It in 1981 and finished, I believe, in 1985. The novel was released in 1986 and he was probably starting Tommyknockers either before he finished It or right after, and the fact that he was said to be high during the filming of Maximum Overdrive (also 1986), it's likely he was high sometime during the writing of It.

I believe the writing of Tommyknockers was actually interrupted by his family doing an intervention.

So that book was not only him drunk/high as fuck, but also him detoxing as well.

(it's probably his worst book, too)

Dead Man

Finally got to some decent internet to watch this. Really not feeling it. It just doesn't feel anything like the book which was much more low key eerie except where it was tragically evil. I hope it's a good film regardless.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
voice over guy/pronunciation sucks. pennywise looked like a dog in the sewer.

but most annoyingly, they used lego colors that weren't available in 1989. green 2x4 bricks weren't introduced until 2000, and the light green not until 201x (lime) or 2001 (neon green). Killed that scene right away for me and took me right out. might just as well add minecraft lego, makes just as much sense.

so you'd be fine with iphones laptops, flat screen tvs? they are clearly trying to go for an 80s look, using a product that wasn't available in the 80s for a pivotal scene is just jarring. the lego blocks are shown about the same amount of time as pennywise in the sewer, I'm not complaining about some unimportant background decoration.

edit: actually, the lego set is shown longer on screen than pennywise in the sewer scene. but whatever.

Wow.

This is meme-worthy stuff right here.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I would be surprised if there weren't any hints or clear references to a King cinematic universe in both It and Dark Tower.

Raptomex

Looks pretty good to me. I'm excited to see it. Although, I'm going into it expecting something different than Tim Curry. I think if I can do that, I'll enjoy it more. And that's only fair.

Interesting that the Collider article says the adult sequel will have flashbacks to (unfilmed) childhood scenes that won't be in the first movie. Guess they would be bringing the kids back for more scenes then.

but most annoyingly, they used lego colors that weren't available in 1989. green 2x4 bricks weren't introduced until 2000, and the light green not until 201x (lime) or 2001 (neon green). Killed that scene right away for me and took me right out. might just as well add minecraft lego, makes just as much sense.

I can't tell if you're putting us on or not...but that is some impressive Lego knowledge either way.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting that the Collider article says the adult sequel will have flashbacks to (unfilmed) childhood scenes that won't be in the first movie. Guess they would be bringing the kids back for more scenes then.

I can't tell if you're putting us on or not...but that is some impressive Lego knowledge either way.

You obviously didn't visit LEGOgaf yet :D

There's an article on collider providing several story details on the movie, some of which are spoilers if you don't want to know how this differs from the book

http://collider.com/it-movie-spoilers-things-to-know/

Some interesting bits in there. First about shapeshifting:

Don’t expect Pennywise to take the form of any pop culture icons. Instead, they wanted Pennywise to take on the form of “less tangible, more internal fears”.

This has been something I was wondering about, and have brought up here a bunch. Not surprised that he isn't turning into shit like a werewolf and other classic monsters, but that quote is unexpected. In the book, that is the exact reason it doesn't go after adults, because that is how adult fears are, while kids fears are simple and easy to manifest.

Also, seems to confirm this movie won't be as insane as the book, unsurprisingly. No
turtle

You obviously didn't visit LEGOgaf yet :D

Haha no I have not!

Some interesting bits in there. First about shapeshifting:

Don’t expect Pennywise to take the form of any pop culture icons. Instead, they wanted Pennywise to take on the form of “less tangible, more internal fears”.

This has been something I was wondering about, and have brought up here a bunch. Not surprised that he isn't turning into shit like a werewolf and other classic monsters, but that quote is unexpected. In the book, that is the exact reason it doesn't go after adults, because that is how adult fears are, while kids fears are simple and easy to manifest.

Also, seems to confirm this movie won't be as insane as the book, unsurprisingly. No
turtle

Muschietti saying he wasn't crazy about the mythology is one of the first disappointing things I've heard. I think the "lore" of what It is and Its role in the cosmos, as well as the kids slowly discovering that stuff, is part of what elevates the material.

But then...he says that, and then he also says this:

“[There] are two sequences that I thought of that I had to postpone until more money comes. One is a flashback, that sort of portrays the first encounter of It and humans, which is an amazing scene.

So that sounds like he was interested in the mythology...

Ah well, guess we'll see how it goes. Still hoping for Ritual of Chud.

Being a huge fan of the book is an odd thing when it comes to a movie of it. There is just no way to do some of the more insane shit in the book. I get that. But, then reading that, yep, that shit isn't in the movie, my response is still "then what's the point?" Like I said yesterday, I just kind of have to accept that this is a modern horror movie for modern horror movie fans. If I want the book, I have the book. But, this is simply going to be a horror movie about a bunch of kids fighting a monster. And a lot of people will be just fine with that.

There's an article on collider providing several story details on the movie, some of which are spoilers if you don't want to know how this differs from the book

http://collider.com/it-movie-spoilers-things-to-know/

Oh man. One part of the article has the kid actors speculating about who could play their adult counterparts, and one of the ideas presented is Chris Pratt as Ben Hanscom. That's almost too perfect.

Although I always see him as Andy from Parks and Rec, so it might be tough to see him in a more grounded, serious role. Eh

Ripenen

Being a huge fan of the book is an odd thing when it comes to a movie of it. There is just no way to do some of the more insane shit in the book. I get that. But, then reading that, yep, that shit isn't in the movie, my response is still "then what's the point?" Like I said yesterday, I just kind of have to accept that this is a modern horror movie for modern horror movie fans. If I want the book, I have the book. But, this is simply going to be a horror movie about a bunch of kids fighting a monster. And a lot of people will be just fine with that.

Sometimes it's OK if a movie doesn't follow a book perfectly.

Jurassic Park, The Shining, The Running Man, Total Recall (I haven't read the book so i'm not 100% sure on that one) are some examples. Good books, good movies, despite the movies not being perfectly accurate adaptations.

Sheroking

IT has some shit that frankly shouldn't even be in the book tbh.

Refresh my memory in a spoiler tag please, I havn't read it in ages.

Since it's never going to be in an onscreen adaptation there's no reason for spoiler tags:

The Losers Club males all have sex with Beverly in order to reestablish their magical bond and escape the sewers. All the characters are 12 when this happens.

Bookoo

Refresh my memory in a spoiler tag please, I havn't read it in ages.

Apparently at the end of the book they have some sort of sewer orgy. Bev has sex with all of the boys. Even after reading the reasons for the scene it doesn't make any sense. King said it was a way to connect them or something, but seems like an excuse to write some erotica.

groansey

I liked the OG Pennywise easter egg, but seeing it juxtaposed with the new one emphasises it's a scarier design than the overtly evil one they went with.

Still hyped though.

Ripenen

Apparently at the end of the book they have some sort of sewer orgy. Bev has sex with all of the boys. Even after reading the reasons for the scene it doesn't make any sense. King said it was a way to connect them or something, but seems like an excuse to write some erotica.

Maybe I read an edited version but it's like two paragraphs of a 1400-page book. It's weird and out of place but it's not real graphic. It's an awkward aside amidst a bunch of other awkwardness as he tries to bring the story to an end. The movie won't suffer at all for removing that part.

Jurassic Park, The Shining, The Running Man, Total Recall (I haven't read the book so i'm not 100% sure on that one) are some examples. Good books, good movies, despite the movies not being perfectly accurate adaptations.

I wouldn't say sometimes, I would say always.

Like I said, I'll still have the book even if I wind up not liking the movie. And there will be a TON of people who like the movie who would never read the book. So, it's really a win win, even if I selishly sit here unhappy that the movie isn't what I want it to be.

IT has some shit that frankly shouldn't even be in the book tbh.

I don't know what you mean.

That was sarcasm.

Maybe I read an edited version but it's like two paragraphs of a 1400-page book. It's weird and out of place but it's not real graphic. It's an awkward aside amidst a bunch of other awkwardness as he tries to bring the story to an end. The movie won't suffer at all for removing that part.

Yeah, that kind of emphasises the problem with it. It is this super weird thing, and the story works perfectly fine without it.

I do like the base level idea of it, to illustrate the kids losing their supernatural connection. But, obviously he should have gone another way with it than gang bang. Gang bangs are rarely the answer to life's porblems.

But this book is steeped in the lore of most Stephen King books, so cutting all of that out kind of gets rid of your antagonist whole mythology.

Also, will people get over the sewer sex scene already? It's like one page in a 1,000+ book.

Zakalwe

Banned
The original is definitely flawed and silly too. We saw it two weeks ago and there was definitely some laughter coming from our group.

Sure, but this /just/ looks silly. No creepiness, just edge-horror generic "evil" looking creatures.

The original is a mess, but it /is/ creepy. Nothing in the trailer has sold me on the fact this new version achieves that.

Since it's never going to be in an onscreen adaptation there's no reason for spoiler tags:

The Losers Club males all have sex with Beverly in order to reestablish their magical bond and escape the sewers. All the characters are 12 when this happens.

Whaaaat. I don't remember that at all, that's crazy. I must've blocked it out of my mind or something, I don't know if I should be more shock over the fact that I forgot about this or that Stephen King actually wrote that shit lol. Holy crap. Yeah that's weird af and glad it's nowhere near being in the movie.

Honestly that's not the only bit.

He could have cut like 50 pages out of that book at least and improved it. The Stand is his only large-format novel that isn't loaded with unnecessary, tropey shit.

He could have cut every single bit of the adults story out as far as I'm concerned. But, I still love the book. I thought it was the scariest piece of media I have ever consumed in any format. Absolutely loved reading it in bed late at night in the dark.

Whaaaat. I don't remember that at all, that's crazy. I must've blocked it out of my mind or something, I don't know if I should be more shock over the fact that I forgot about this or that Stephen King actually wrote that shit lol. Holy crap.

It seems to stick with people who haven't read the book more than those who have. I swear 90% of the time someone mentions it, it is "I heard" "I guess" or "apparently".

He could have cut every single bit of the adults story out as far as I'm concerned. But, I still love the book. I thought it was the scariest piece of media I have ever consumed in any format. Absolutely loved reading it in bed late at night in the dark.

It seems to stick with people who haven't read the book more than those who have. I swear 90% of the time someone mentions it, it is "I heard" "I guess" or "apparently".

I mean I was young when I read it, probably around the same age as those kids in the novel actually and in english to top it all off, and I might have not understood everything that was going on because of it, but still, that's fucked up. I'mma have a talk with my older brother about it since he's the one who made me read it lol.

I mean I was young when I read it, probably around the same age as those kids in the novel actually and in english to top it all off, and I might have not understood everything that was going on because of it, but still, that's fucked up. I'mma have a talk with my older brother about it since he's the one who made me read it lol.

It was certainly fucked up, don't get me wrong. But, I found it a lot less scandalous after reading the book than I did before, having heard everyone on Earth talk about it. It's this weird, creepy, and ultimately unneeded part of the story. But, I didn't finish the book thinking "this is the focal point that needs mentioned in every conversation." There's really not much more to say about it other than "that's really weird."

It was certainly fucked up, don't get me wrong. But, I found it a lot less scandalous after reading the book than I did before, having heard everyone on Earth talk about it. It's this weird, creepy, and ultimately unneeded part of the story. But, I didn't finish the book thinking "this is the focal point that needs mentioned in every conversation.". There's really not much more to say about it other than "that's really weird."

Yeah, I actually just gave a quick call to my brother and had a 5minutes recap of the whole thing and had a laugh about it.. Not that it's funny, but at how really fucking weird it was to have that in. It marked him as kid he said, so I wonder why it didn't for me, might have been due to the language barrier at the time, who knows.

How fucked up was Stephen King's mind at the time of writting those lines, seriously.damn. I feel like that shit changed me a lil' bit. Screw you Stephen King.

Bookoo

ah ok. I am listening to the book on tape and haven't got to that part yet and only looked it up briefly after seeing people mention it in this thread and just assumed it must have been graphic.

I guess I will have to include a disclaimer in the OT that there will be no sewer sex in the movie. Not that it will preempt the inevitable discussion to follow, but just to get it out of the way haha.

glow

Banned
Could someone whose read it remind me of what forms "it" takes in the book? I haven't read it in over 20 years.

Could someone whose read it remind me of what forms "it" takes in the book? I haven't read it in over 20 years.

Werewolf
Mummy
Giant Bird
Leper
Giant eyeball
Bev's dad
Frankenstein monster
A bunch of flying leeches

A few others, but those are probably the most memorable.

Theyll just talk about the garbage dump jerkoff scene instead I guess

I'm surprised that one never generates any controversy. I guess it's just overshadowed!

Leeness

ah ok. I am listening to the book on tape and haven't got to that part yet and only looked it up briefly after seeing people mention it in this thread and just assumed it must have been graphic.

I dunno, when it comes to audiobooks, it's a decent length. Probably goes on for like 5 minutes and while it doesn't get super graphic, there's talk of Bev ~guiding them in~ and sticky messes and whatnot. It kind of details Eddie and her as the first encounter, then skips the others with a couple lines of "then Stan came to her, and then Mike, etc.", and then Ben and Bill are detailed again and ~why sex is great~ and Bev gets into yelling "oh yes, Ben, yes!"

...I just listened to it about it a week ago, so it's still fresh in my mind 😑

Theyll just talk about the garbage dump jerkoff scene instead I guess

That one was...yeesh as well. Rape to boot. 😥

ANYWAY, the trailer looks great and I'm hyped to see this.

Parts of it look pretty good, others are making me smh like that last shot.

Also, Pennywise looks absolutely fucking awful. He's way too forced and edgy.

Oh well.

Bookoo

You didn't like the first one?

I just tried to watch that again and the acting in it is awful so I couldn't finish it.

The children read the lines like it was a middle school play and I couldn't help but laugh every time Bill attempted stutter over his words.

FunkyMonk

Maybe if The Dark Tower does good.

Isn't

IT/Pennywise in the same universe as The Dark Tower series?

It's been a while but I think it's implied that IT is
from todash space, something that features heavily in the last few Dark Tower books. Maturin definitely appears in DT as one of the guardians of the beams.

The whole presentation and mood of this film seem to be perfect, except for the clown itself.

I'm actually frustrated by how they can get so much right, but the most important aspect wrong.

A trailer can be misleading, but the look of IT and the jump-scary way he's being presented is not at all scary.

voice over guy/pronunciation sucks. pennywise looked like a dog in the sewer.

Stephen King's IT(2017) |OT| Green Legos in the 1980s.

Top Bottom