• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT - Official Trailer 1

Bookoo

the movie looks good, visually at least, I dig that... what I do not, it's the cheap jumpscares, whenever the music goes down you know you'll get your random loud noise and the clown appearing on screen out of nowhere, hopefully the movie is not too heavy on those but the trailer already gave me the impression it will be full of jumpscares.

Most horror films are filled with jump scares. What the trailer isn't showing is the tension that leads up to them.

I am listening to the book and most of the moments in the book are jump scares since the clown or something else just pops up out of nowhere.

gfxtwin

Didn't phase me. The clown was much scarier in the TV movie. Part of what was so unsettling about it was that he just looks like a clown the first time you see him. Just a clown in a storm drain trying to lure a kid in. That alone is enough to build enough suspense to make you feel very uneasy, you don't need to over-stylize it by making the clown look like monster-ish from second one.

On one hand it seems to capture the late 80s/early 90s kids in a small town vibe from movies of that era. And the soundtrack might be good. But it looks like the movie is gonna drown in jump scares, and CGI. The clown design is pretty bad.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Ah, another IT thread. I wonder if it's going devolve into yet another discussion about the book's sewer sequence!

(Reads thread)

Yep.

Kalnos

Banned
Didn't phase me. The clown was much scarier in the TV movie. Part of what was so unsettling about it was that he just looks like a clown the first time you see him. Just a clown in a storm drain trying to lure a kid in. That alone is enough to build enough suspense to make you feel very uneasy, you don't need to over-stylize it by making the clown look like monster-ish from second one.

Yeah, I think the mundane voice and clown from the TV movie is more unsettling too.

zeemumu

Hey so, is Pennywise the Origami Killer?

I mean you got the red balloons

maxresdefault.jpg

Dead kids trapped in sewer openings

Clowns

EGM1966

Kids look solid but despite some terrific sequences I just find IT to be ultimately hugely overblown and by the end plain bonkers on all fronts.

Thus I'm not too sure about a film version as I expect the same issues: strong start, good buildup and initial sense of mystery then the letdown when the reveals start to arrive and it's pretty dull stuff.

Still, at least it looks well made for those that like the narrative and plot of the book.

_Isaac

Clown looks far too edgy-horror for me. The original (flawed) film was fucking creepy, this just looks silly.
The original is definitely flawed and silly too. We saw it two weeks ago and there was definitely some laughter coming from our group.

Z3M0G

Ah, that scene. I remember the TV movie left that out too, lol.

Eh, I say leave it in. It certainly had shock value!

It would def create more talk for the movie...

Jesus Christ.

You knew there'd be at least one...

jonah-hill.gif

What the fuck man.

First I've ever heard of this...

Wouldn't this event be VERY important for the development of the characters? You don't need to show it... but having it happen in the plot seems significant...

Wouldn't this event be VERY important for the development of the characters? You don't need to show it... but having it happen in the plot seems significant...

It's significant because it was written to be significant. Just like someone could make a plot-relevant orgy in the Avengers where they have to all have sex with each other to overcome the Cosmic Cube's influence or something.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Barefoot kid drops his lego set on the floor, in the middle of the night. That is the real danger when he has to run away from Pennywise with the quickness.

zeemumu

Not really, no. In the miniseries they all just take a puff of Eddie's inhaler.

Even King doesn't like that scene in the book and he wrote it.

So this looks a bit more jump scary than the last trailer but I was kind of sold when Pennywise started talking all of three words lol.

I want to see the film in its entirety before saying "clearly this is being treated as another boring horror movie" but I think this might be pretty great.

It looks like they even kept the Hockstetter scene from the book since there was a brief, BRIEF glimpse of what I can only describe as that scene.

Barefoot kid drops his lego set on the floor, in the middle of the night. That is the real danger when he has to run away from Pennywise with the quickness.

Lego was the real villain all along.

Aiii

So not worth it
Not really, no. In the miniseries they all just take a puff of Eddie's inhaler.

Even King doesn't like that scene in the book and he wrote it.

King was on a lot of drugs back then.

Hell, a lot of his work has distrubing shit in it. Or weird shit. Or stuff that would be totally not okay now, but makes sense due to the times they were written in. Like Nick Andros’ inner monologue on what level of retardation Tom Cullen suffers from.

Man, I just don't know. Kids look good, but I still just don't know about that Pennywise.

I just don't like modern horror movies, and this very much looks like one with nothing special going on, despite the insane source material. This trailer really has me convinced that I'm just not gonna like it. Not that it will be bad, but very much not for me. Which sucks since I fucking loved the book when I read it a couple of years ago. But, oh well. I'll still have the book and hopefully fans of horror movies will have this movie.

BFIB

That's the thing though, they really don't have to do it. The whole reason they do it is to show their love is strong (if I remember right).

The whole scene is completely unnecessary, and I really wonder what drugs King was on when he wrote this.

Has Stephen King ever gone on record to explain why he included that sequence in his book in the first place?

His brief explanation:

I wasn't really thinking of the sexual aspect of it. The book dealt with childhood and adulthood --1958 and Grown Ups. The grown ups don't remember their childhood. None of us remember what we did as children--we think we do, but we don't remember it as it really happened. Intuitively, the Losers knew they had to be together again. The sexual act connected childhood and adulthood. It's another version of the glass tunnel that connects the children's library and the adult library. Times have changed since I wrote that scene and there is now more sensitivity to those issues.

Glix

Wait.

This... Part 1... is only them as kids? I am super skeptical about this now.

My 2c on the "scene"... I have read IT a lot of times over the years, it is a favorite... It always struck me as a little odd, but somehow king made it work.

aBarreras

They'll probably just skip it altogether.

It's not like excluding that scene would change the narrative at all.

havent read the book, and i dont remember that much about the tv movie, but for what i have read about it and the like, it would totally change the narrative, the need for them to start having sex with each other and holding hand, it was because they were losing the connection between them, i think is a fairly important point to address, they arent like the perfect group of friends and shit, they were starting to lose and i think it is a big point on the story.

Wait.

This... Part 1... is only them as kids? I am super skeptical about this now.

My 2c on the "scene"... I have read IT a lot of times over the years, it is a favorite... It always struck me as a little odd, but somehow king made it work.

why being only part 1 makes you skeptical about it? what do you wanted a 5 hours movie, or a rushed movie? o_O

EGM1966

havent read the book, and i dont remember that much about the tv movie, but for what i have read about it and the like, it would totally change the narrative, the need for them to start having sex with each other and holding hand, it was because they were losing the connection between them, i think is a fairly important point to address, they arent like the perfect group of friends and shit, they were starting to lose and i think it is a big point on the story.

To be honest: not really. They get lost in some tunnels, King goes way overboard with the idea they've lost their mojo as a group - or Ka or whatever he called it in IT I can't remember offhand - and has the frankly bizzaro sex scene as a way for them to re-bond and pick the right way out.

From a narrative - which is simply the sequence of events of the plot - you could have them get lost, have the lead kid give a pep talk, have them all hug and calm down then have them make the right exit choice.

There's many ways to have the same narrative flow - lost / get it together / make right escape route choice - without the kids getting down to what was basically a gang bang of the lone girl member by every boy in their group. TBH I remain highly skeptical that losing your virginity when lost in a series of tunnels under great duress is going to help at all. Frankly I remain skeptical you'd even be able to perform in those circumstances as your first time having sex.

It was plain bonkers as an idea and barely worked as prose. I'm confident that portrayed visually it wouldn't work at all as at least when written the reader can to an extent self justify it by focusing on the idea they're reforming as a group without distracting of seeing anything. Visually it would fall apart completely.

They're gonna group hug/pep talk and get on with escaping instead of stopping for a gang bang in the film and that's going to actually work better anyway.

Afrocious

regardless of the jump scares, it looks like this pennywise at least be shown doing something instead of tim curry with sharp teeth growling in a close up

kevin1025

Banned
Based solely on the trailer, and the teaser a while back, I think it's looking really damn good. I'll definitely be seeing it in September.

Alienfan

Looks good, aside from the "trailer jump scare editing". We're in the middle of a horror renaissance, and considering who's directing it, it should be great. Pennywise in the original was god awful, so at least it looks like they've made him scary this time

Rootbeer

Banned
Loving the trailers. Based on the easter eggs that have been spotted in the trailers and other promotional material so far, hopefully it's honoring the Dark Tower mythos so we can have a sorta loose Dark Tower cinematic universe thing going on between this and the Dark Tower film this year.

FWIW, Until they remake it, I still consider the Hearts in Atlantis film as being included. I read the Dark Tower books after having seen that film, and not gonna spoil but, I think I got some enhancement out of it that way. It's just to bad that they deliberately replaced a lot of the Dark Tower references in the film version. My head canon has to do a lot of work with that one.

I'm pretty excited for this thing now. IT is up there as one of my favorite books. Top ten at least.

I hope they do the ritual of Chud.
I want to see the big turtle.

bitbydeath

the movie looks good, visually at least, I dig that... what I do not, it's the cheap jumpscares, whenever the music goes down you know you'll get your random loud noise and the clown appearing on screen out of nowhere, hopefully the movie is not too heavy on those but the trailer already gave me the impression it will be full of jumpscares.

Jumpscares are a big part of the movie because that is how IT gets the power to kill them.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
So is the whole movie just going to be the kids part of the story?

Yeah this one is going to be. There is most likely going to be a sequel that shows the adult side. This movie is expected to do huge numbers for a Rated R horror film so a sequel might as well be confirmed at this point.

Top Bottom