• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'IT' screenwriter bringing 'Are You Afraid of the Dark' to the big screen

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...g-are-you-afraid-dark-movie-paramount-1057833
Are You Afraid of the Dark?, the early 1990s anthology show that aired on Nickelodeon, is getting the big-screen treatment.

Paramount Pictures arm Paramount Players has hired Gary Dauberman, the writer behind the New Line horror movies It and Annabelle: Creation, to pen the script and produce the project...

"The show is about the shared experience of telling stories — especially scary ones. We're going to celebrate that with this movie and honor the darker, scarier tone of the show, which was really groundbreaking for Nickelodeon at the time. I hope the Midnight Society approves," Dauberman tells The Hollywood Reporter.

I was more of a Goosebumps kid, but this could be fun. Be cool if they did 3 different stories and got 3 different writers to do them.

I loved both.

Man, do they make any twilight zone-type shows for kids anymore or are kids already too terrified to leave their house as it is?

Futaleufu

I loved both.

Man, do they make any twilight zone-type shows for kids anymore or are kids already too terrified to leave their house as it is?

It seems that movies like "The Black Cauldron" or "The Last Unicorn" are no longer suitable for kids. And classics like "The Gremlins" or "The Goonies" would never get made today.

zeioIIDX

I'll be all over this. I have the entire series on DVD and as a kid, my friends and I would pretend to be part of the Midnight Society. We'd sit in a circle around a mock fire and create scary tales on the spot. Loved that show!

dolabla

I hope this is good. I'm a huge fan of Are You Afraid of the Dark. I recently just bought all the seasons on DVD a few months ago (season 6 was a pain in the butt to find), though I had already had all the seasons that were bootlegs I bought on ebay around 2004. The quality was much better than the bootlegs, lol.

Astral Dog

Seems like something that would be better as a Netflix series

Yeah sounds like a better choice, i cant imagine going to the theater to watch AyAoTd unless they made something really different.

but if it becomes a big success lots of copycat series will be made! :D

Nategc20

Banned
Holyshit. This could be huge.

Could work. Have actors/actresses nonchalantly tell stories around the campfire ala creepshow.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Is it just going to be about them in the woods and no storytelling?

I thought them being in the woods and trading out their friends, never to be seen again, was the creepiest part

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Speaking of GooseBumps where can one go to watch the original 90s series these days? I still remember shit like Haunted Masked 1 & 2, Stay out of the basement, and A Night in Terror Tower. Shit I owned a lot of those books as a kid too.

Senua

I'll be all over this. I have the entire series on DVD and as a kid, my friends and I would pretend to be part of the Midnight Society. We'd sit in a circle around a mock fire and create scary tales on the spot. Loved that show!
Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd

dolabla

Speaking of GooseBumps where can one go to watch the original 90s series these days? I still remember shit like Haunted Masked 1 & 2, Stay out of the basement, and A Night in Terror Tower. Shit I owned a lot of those books as a kid too.

Netflix currently has all the seasons. It also released on DVD in Europe, so you can import the entire DVD collection from Amazon UK:

71bRgx4-PfL._SL1027_.jpg

That's what I did (even though I do have Netflix) since I wanted to actually own it on dvd :), although you need a region free DVD player (if you live in the US).

Top Bottom