• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It seems to me that Sony/Cerny chose higher quality accessories/console design over a higher Teraflops count. (A Risky Move)

Hear me out.

Ever since the reveal of the luxurious looking DualSense controller and the state-of-the-art SSD, I began to realize Sony and Cerny's approach to focus their budget on other components instead of putting every egg into the basket that is the GPU.

While 10.2 Teraflops is a respectable number to have on any console, the fact that Sony decided to opt out of the archaic Power Battle led me to believe that the PlayStation 5 will have the following:
  • A more lavish and expensive cooling system, according to Bloomberg back in early 2020.
  • A more expensive, durable, and luxurious controller which includes translucent buttons to light up accompanied with a noise-cancelling mic and possibly back triggers.
  • A state-of-the-art SSD with a world record speed of 9GB/s and an SSD meticulously designed for ease of development.
  • A console design that will incorporate sleek metallic/higher quality materials for manufacturing.
  • A controller with state-of-the-art haptic feedback and adaptive trigger systems.
  • A more powerful built-in PSU to help mitigate cooling issues further.
  • An expansive Backwards Compatibility functionality that encompasses all previous generations of their library.
  • A state-of-the-art Audio Engine that rivals the cremè of the crop in the Audio Industry.
So GAF, do you think Sony did the right choice and focus their budget on improving the quality of other components of the console instead of maximizing the theoretical Teraflops count of their GPU?

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
We've long hit a point of diminishing returns when it comes to graphics. Now that we are passing 10TF consoles, the difference will become negligible.

It is time to focus on new things instead of just more powerful graphics. Load times is a huge one. Other things like new input and rumble tech are others. I think Sony is right again. The types of things they are adding on top of the super powerful 10 TF console will make more noticeable difference than adding even more graphic power.

But, as always, the games will be the biggest factor. Fortunately, Sony always dominates in this category.

Last edited:
We've long hit a point of diminishing returns when it comes to graphics. Now that we are passing 10TF consoles, the difference will become negligible.

It is time to focus on new things instead of just more powerful graphics. Load times is a huge one. Other things like new input and rumble tech are others. I think Sony is right again. The types of things they are adding on top of the super powerful 10 TF console will make more noticeable difference than adding even more graphic power.

But, as always, the games will be the biggest factor. Fortunately, Sony always dominates in this category.
I knew, from the moment I played Silent Hill 2 back in 2016 on an LCD TV, graphics are somewhat an overrated factor when it comes to delivering exceptional gaming experiences.

While graphics have always been a mainstay when it comes to the discussion of a game's quality. It's usually undermined by the fact that gameplay and the overall experience of playing the game (loading times, controls, audio fidelity, etc) play a big role as well.

farmerboy

If they have, then that hasn't been very well communicated yet.

But that communication will come, I'm just getting a little impatient for it.

If you're not a fanboy I think its patently clear that Cerny/Sony definitely prioritized die space away from the gpu. The fruits of that labour will hopefully become clearer as we near release.

Dory16

Banned

No we haven't. It takes a lot more than 10TF to run any decent level of ray tracing. Even the 2080 TI only runs Minecraft RTX at 1080p/60. Cerny was very tightlipped on the PS5's ray tracing ability.Your statement on the 10 TF threshold could not be more wrong.
I understand the desire to focus on improving the gaming experience given that 500$ is just not enough to build a console that can rival with the best PC graphic cards. There will be great stuff on the PS5. But not purely because of the visuals.

Griffon

I enjoy parody threads, I really do.

But too many of those and you start having a forum full of idiots who think it's okay to make similar threads, but instead in a dead serious tone because they can't read the room.

Last edited:

Uzupedro

Yeah, I think it's a good kind of change. I think it will depend a lot on Sony’s marketing, if it manages to alienate the casual public that this is all more important than raw power (And its the opposite of MS’s proposal, wich is to shove the Teraflops down your throat, and its not wrong btw), whether true or not , these changes will have an absurd impact overall.

Jesb

Would be great if the SSD is so good that we can jump in from game to game instantly. The menu and PS store to never lag like it does sometimes. It would show how efficient the SSD is. But more importantly is it finally going to end long load times? I have my doubts. SSD is great but games are going to be bigger, the games will always put the hard drive to work no matter how advanced it is. With that said I think they are right to have a great SSD instead of more TF’s.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Hear me out.

Ever since the reveal of the luxurious looking DualSense controller and the state-of-the-art SSD, I began to realize Sony and Cerny's approach to focus their budget on other components instead of putting every egg into the basket that is the GPU.

While 10.2 Teraflops is a respectable number to have on any console, the fact that Sony decided to opt out of the archaic Power Battle led me to believe that the PlayStation 5 will have the following:
  • A more lavish and expensive cooling system, according to Bloomberg back in early 2020.
  • A more expensive, durable, and luxurious controller which includes translucent buttons to light up accompanied with a noise-cancelling mic and possibly back triggers.
  • A state-of-the-set SSD with a world record speed of 9GB/s and an SSD meticulously designed for ease of development.
  • A console design that will incorporate sleek metallic/higher quality materials for manufacturing.
  • A controller with state-of-the-art haptic feedback and adaptive trigger systems.
  • An expansive Backwards Compatibility functionality that encompasses all previous generations of their library.
  • A state-of-the-art Audio Engine that rivals the cremè of the crop in the Audio Industry.
So GAF, do you think Sony did the right choice and focus their budget on improving the quality of other components of the console instead of maximizing the theoretical Teraflops count of their GPU?
In Cerny i trust 😁😊

LordKasual

Banned
Sony's console absolutely seems like one that was better designed specifically for game-making.

XSX's philosophy seems to be the same as the typical PC philosophy, which is more or less the same thinking that lead to the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X -- give us the same architecture, except make it much stronger.

Ultimately they're doing the same thing, just with different underlying angles.

Xbox is basically going "Here's what you had before, except i've removed the limiters, go ham"

Sony is saying "We made it stronger, except here's a long sheet of extra shit to play with along side it"

Last edited:
Hear me out.

While 10.2 Teraflops is a respectable number to have on any console, the fact that Sony decided to opt out of the archaic Power Battle led me to believe that the PlayStation 5 will have the following: ironic that up until X1X came out Sony were all about slapping “most powerful console” on their boxes, but I guess this is one of those “power is an old narrative when we say it is” kinda deals?
  • A more lavish and expensive cooling system, according to Bloomberg back in early 2020. With clocks that high, you would bloody well hope so.
  • A more expensive, durable, and luxurious controller which includes translucent buttons to light up accompanies with a noise-cancelling mic and possibly back triggers. Expensive? Maybe. Durable and luxurious? Won’t know until we try it, you come across very “buzzword-y”.
  • A state-of-the-set SSD with a world record speed of 9GB/s and an SSD meticulously designed for ease of development. We already know this.
  • A console design that will incorporate sleek metallic/higher quality materials for manufacturing. You cannot possibly know this, and higher quality compare to what? The higher the quality, the more expensive it’ll be. Outside of wanting or needing better materials for heat management who the hell cares, we don’t buy consoles for aesthetics.
  • An expansive Backwards Compatibility functionality that encompasses all previous generations of their library. Pipe dream. Would love it to be true but it’s just not, they would’ve said so already alongside their previous talk of PS4 bc.
  • A state-of-the-art Audio Engine that rivals the cremè of the crop in the Audio Industry. Sure, but it remains to be seen if mainstream audiences are going to care or not.
So GAF, do you think Sony did the right choice and focus their budget on improving the quality of other components of the console instead of maximizing the theoretical Teraflops count of their GPU? As you Sony blokes love to say, people don’t play specs. They play games. 99% of consumers aren’t going to give a shit about the cooling solution, or the audio, or controller gimmicks. You know Sony will bring the games so why another “flops don’t matter” thread if you’re so unconcerned about it.

In Cerny i trust 😁😊
En Cerny, confiamos!
IDoRZb5.png

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ... the difference isn't going to mean shit unless you're a pixel peeper. It's a smaller relative difference in power than even the PS4 Pro vs. Xbox One X and it's pretty rare we see big frame rate differences between the two platforms even now.

Vawn

Banned
I like how we’re at diminishing returns when it comes to graphics yet two super fast SSDs are going to be wildly different in terms of capabilities 😆

The amount of extra processing power you need to see a visual difference from a 10 TF is staggering.

But a SSD that is twice the speed as the competition is DOUBLE the difference. It's twice as fast. It's really that simple.

Vawn

Banned
You created this thread just to cause trouble, and you know it. It has no value at all.

That's your whole shtick.

Get out of here with this garbage. Making a thread that talks about the strengths of both consoles and personally favoring PS5 is NOT causing trouble.

You adding nothing but a drive by "Fuck off" is what is causing trouble and has no value.

The amount of extra processing power you need to see a visual difference from a 10 TF is staggering.

But a SSD that is twice the speed as the competition is DOUBLE the difference. It's twice as fast. It's really that simple.

Maybe you just don’t understand what diminishing returns is? It would explain this stupid position you are taking here.

All I really want is a quiet machine. I love the cooling on the PS4 Slim, but the launch unit and the Pro I had were just too loud for my tastes. Seriously, Uncharted 4’s menu screen was so impressive that it made my launch unit sound like a hair dryer set on low.
On behalf of Sony Interactive Entertainment, we apologize.

Please look forward to the reveal of the PlayStation 5 console reveal.

Onocromin

Banned
2 teraflops is a huge effing gaping vagina of a difference in power, people claiming otherwise are not hardware enthusiasts. They're idiots. Microsoft will take the Graphics Crown as long as they want it, otherwise they may leave that to 2nd/3rd party developers to do but the performance/power crown is in the Series X and you are running on wishful thinking if you believe otherwise.

JLMC469

Banned

I hear it’s so fast, devs are encouraged to use it as a portable time machine.

Some have come back from the future, some have stayed in the past, etc.

2 teraflops is a huge effing gaping vagina of a difference in power, people claiming otherwise are not hardware enthusiasts. They're idiots. Microsoft will take the Graphics Crown as long as they want it, otherwise they may leave that to 2nd/3rd party developers to do but the performance/power crown is in the Series X and you are running on wishful thinking if you believe otherwise.
This isn't PC gaming.

Console gamers have different expectations compared to PC Gamers and are usually late adopters of gaming technologies due to the steep entry price into PC gaming.

zoSMjXy.png

PS5 will have 600,000 and Xbox SeX will have 620,000. PS5 will load its triangles in half the time as the Xbox's triangles.

Exactly my point, dweebs like you making the SSD out to be this game changer and you’re talking about one SSD loading stuff super fast versus the other one loading stuff super duper fast.

And you’re ignoring that the PS5 is at 600k sometimes, if the CPU throttles down to allow it.

Oh but wait I forgot the SSD will also improve the CPU 🤡

Top Bottom