• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It seems to me that Sony/Cerny chose higher quality accessories/console design over a higher Teraflops count. (A Risky Move)

That controller was a confirmed fake .

I speculate that that video is a fake to throw us all off. If you think about it it's pretty obvious.

giphy.gif

VAVA Mk2

Hear me out.

Ever since the reveal of the luxurious looking DualSense controller and the state-of-the-art SSD, I began to realize Sony and Cerny's approach to focus their budget on other components instead of putting every egg into the basket that is the GPU.

While 10.2 Teraflops is a respectable number to have on any console, the fact that Sony decided to opt out of the archaic Power Battle led me to believe that the PlayStation 5 will have the following:
  • A more lavish and expensive cooling system, according to Bloomberg back in early 2020.
  • A more expensive, durable, and luxurious controller which includes translucent buttons to light up accompanied with a noise-cancelling mic and possibly back triggers.
  • A state-of-the-art SSD with a world record speed of 9GB/s and an SSD meticulously designed for ease of development.
  • A console design that will incorporate sleek metallic/higher quality materials for manufacturing.
  • A controller with state-of-the-art haptic feedback and adaptive trigger systems.
  • A more powerful built-in PSU to help mitigate cooling issues further.
  • An expansive Backwards Compatibility functionality that encompasses all previous generations of their library.
  • A state-of-the-art Audio Engine that rivals the cremè of the crop in the Audio Industry.
So GAF, do you think Sony did the right choice and focus their budget on improving the quality of other components of the console instead of maximizing the theoretical Teraflops count of their GPU?
We haven't seen the console yet so just pure speculation...

I find this whole idea is a bit of a stretch, they did emphasize the SSD, so the dollars went there first... They decided to met their budget with these choices... You don't need to be insecure about it.

This is not as if MS didn't have a good track record of industrial design, it's not as great as their fans say, but they are certainly in the upper echelon (I wish Sony has cooled the PS4 with something as silent as MS did their xbox one series of consoles).

That confidence came through in every interview, and casual chat, we had at Microsoft’s X019 meeting late last year.
So, the meeting was Nov. 2019, Nov. 2019 + 2 years = Nov. 2021, so just a single year.
Man, you sound so much like a PR person, it hurts to read you, talking of MS as "we"... this is strong.

We haven't seen the console yet so just pure speculation...

To be fair, this is a speculation thread. If you were willing to hear him out MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima said he believes Sony opted out of the power battle for the reasons listed, but never claimed that all the reasons were proven. With the current global climate crisis, can we afford not to hear out the ideas of someone on the internet? I'm not willing to risk it.

Last edited:
Shots fired!

I think we know what we're getting from PS5 by now... something that's departed from the standard operating procedure from the previous generation. They seemingly know they can't beat xbox at their own game for two generations in a row, so they're trying to mix it up. But they're not gonna go full Nintendo and just cram in a gimmick, so they're going to just try and live up to their 40+ year history of nice product design and high quality control values~

The thing we don't know is how it will directly compare with the XSX, but I think we can be sure that in this day and age they would not allow there to be a huge visual fidelity difference between XSX and PS5 titles on release. Maybe after 3 or 4 years the XSX will pull ahead, but by then I guess a PS5 pro will come out that has, like, 15 TFlops or something~ and xbox will respond in kind~

It seems like PS5 might be going back towards the PS3 era when first party games were super hawt by the end of the lifecycle but non-exclusive titles were held back. Maybe that won't be as pronounced this time because PS5 is easier to build games for than CELL was, but I do think it'll eventuate after a few years. I think we can safely say that PS5 exclusives will look and perform better than cross-console titles, in fact they might turn out to be the fastest, prettiest, smoothest games of either console... taking full advantage of the whizz-kid hardware... but that won't do much for the direct comparison stakes~

mercclass

2 teraflops is a huge effing gaping vagina of a difference in power, people claiming otherwise are not hardware enthusiasts. They're idiots. Microsoft will take the Graphics Crown as long as they want it, otherwise they may leave that to 2nd/3rd party developers to do but the performance/power crown is in the Series X and you are running on wishful thinking if you believe otherwise.

The percentage delta is the important factor not the raw number. Going from 1 to 3 TF is a 200% increase going from 100 to 102 TF is only a 2% gain.

The percentage delta is the important factor not the raw number. Going from 1 to 3 TF is a 200% increase going from 100 to 102 TF is only a 2% gain.

What went from 1TF to 3 TF? What went from 100 TF to 102 TF? Where did that number come from and how is it relevant? Are you even can as many as how?

Going from 10.3 to 12.1 is roughly a 20% gain that came at the expense of boosting the ever-loving shit out of the GPU. 20% is a pretty decent advantage. That's like comparing a 5" dick to a 6" dick. I don't care how many SSDs a person has, 5" is not impressive and claiming a speed advantage has worked out poorly for me in the past as well.

Let me also add another irrelevant point to the discussion since we're all talking out our asses here. 2 TF is more than an entire PS4 difference in power. You could have games that look and play an entire Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War better on the Sexbox than on the PS5. If that's not enough to get your whistle tootin' you might want to get your emotion engine checked out.

Kumomeme

from what i see both team at sony and ms had different goal of philosophy for both console creation

-for ms, we hear loud and clear from phil that it would be 4k60fps machine...there we got the specs..12tf monster, stronger gpu, higher clock cpu...xsx is the console where performance matter most

-for sony, we get to know that they want to ease burden of developers, so the stuff they put help alleviate that, the unified memory, super fast ssd with the I.O implemented with it..cerny even emphasizes how quick for devs to get used to it compared to previous console....its clear that cerny want to create console not for framerate performance, but a base console that would allow devs to dream further...the caveat is, probably their first party sony game will still end up at 30fps, at worse with dynamic resolution at later in the generation but it would be special due to spicy stuff like tremendous speed off ssd and tempest audio engine. They might settle up the performance option for next ps5 pro revision instead.

Last edited:
Sony didn't need to have the power crown. With the goodwill from PS4, and with 100 million people in their ecosystem, a couple of less tflops won't really make or break their success.
Microsoft since the original Xbox have always prided themselves on having the most powerful console. They messed up with the Xbox One, and seem determined to get that crown back.
Having the power crown is another part in the bits needed for MS to increase their sales on the XSX.

Self

I also agree in about the cooling solution and form factor because a huge complaint and in fairness a valid one, is how loud and hot the PS4 can be.

The thing is: I don't want a freaking loud PS5 in my living room, nor the ugly XSX console which is looking like a freakin self-made PC.

My hopes are Sony is making a silent PS5 and MS redesignes it's XSX drastically when the slim version hits the shelves.

If anything I think this would push the SSD market to be standard on PC by a lot of manufacturers. I think there will be games this gen that can't be done like for like on a PC without downgrades.

PCS do have them, but they can never be fully utilised like a consoles can, when they're the baseline.

I'm even trying to fathom what a Housemarque title could be coming up with development on a AAA budget. Thinking about their previous titles and the sort of style that they release makes me think the speeds of these SSDs are the perfect developer for.

me0wish

I don't know what's sarcasm and what's not, are people seriously that crazy about the ssd?

It's just a hard drive, a millisecond of faster loading won't make your experience better, just buy whatever console suits you more and play the games you most enjoy instead of desperately trying to prove that your preferred system is superior.

Actually, keep it up, your lunacy over consoles is entertaining, who knows, we might get our next chadwarden in one of these threads.

Vitter.

I can't wait for Playstation to show it's hand, in the meantime we should avoid this thinkpieces based on the little info that they revealed. I mean a couple of them is fine but it seems everyday now there is another thread about a hot take! haha

Top Bottom