• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It Takes Almost 300 Days for Gran Turismo 7 Developers to Make One of the Game's Cars

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is this about sounds? If so, get FM7 right off that list. Fake growl to make monotone sounding cars, sound agressive. They dropped the ball compared to their FM4 days. Those sounds were a little more accurate and subdued.

ACC sounds better, easily. RaceRoom too, Rfactor maybe and Automobilista I haven't played.
FunFact: The Audio Lead for FM 1-4, left and joined PD working on the GT series back in 2015.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
People forget it took polyphony almost 20 years to get the car count in GT6. But there is so much you can get away with ps2 models. Gt6 was fantastic in that regard the problem was loads of cars were 2d without interiors. And the shiity sounds. Gt7 every car is premium. It will take some time but we will get there. I just want my nsx castrol premium so I can make my JGTC classic championship.
Let them cook

Kvally

Banned
Is this about sounds?
Yes. All sounds combined. Not just exhaust or engine. But a combination of exhaust, engine, transmission downshifts/upshift, missed gears, tire, vehicle impact, revs, wind in draft, sound change from damaged motors/transmissions as well as the surround. The entire package. So in my opinion and experience, the list I gave offer better overall packages. That isn't to say GT7 doesn't sound great. I enjoyed GT7 more than Forza Motorsport 7.

Even RacePro 07 sounds better than FM and GT in many areas. Maybe not the entire package though.

I never spent a lot of time with ProjectCars. I kinda was turned off by Ian Bell and his promises. So I don't know how well that sounds.

Most of my automotive sound experience IRL comes from owning a few of the cars in these games, working at car dealerships when I was younger, living next to Road America in the summers and going to the races there, from classics to modern. (I am back in Norway in the winters, where I don't hear much of anything in our village 😂). And of course racing games since pole position and watching racing year round.

Again, this is my opinion. I am not saying I am right by any measure.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
What year is this?

Arguably the only game out there that sounds better than gt7 is ACC

Stop tripping

Not tripping, that’s my own experience with the game. I’ve played and enjoyed many GT games and the engine sound has not improved much. They could do better and should do better.

Have you ever been to any car race? Do you even know how real racing cars sound? Let me tell it’s nowhere near what we get in GT. This is a sim and should reflect RL as much as possible. I would understand if this was an arcade racer but it’s not.

xrnzaaas

It may sound nice they're going for uber realistic car models, but do people really want that as a priority? I wouldn't mind lowering the standards and offering less detailed models if that meant the studio could focus on putting more content in the game. It's a racing game after all, not a virtual showroom.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It may sound nice they're going for uber realistic car models, but do people really want that as a priority? I wouldn't mind lowering the standards and offering less detailed models if that meant the studio could focus on putting more content in the game. It's a racing game after all, not a virtual showroom.
Yes. We want this. The racing model/gameplay is fantastic as well, and they are still adding free content monthly.

Win, win, win.

SLB1904

Banned
Not tripping, that’s my own experience with the game. I’ve played and enjoyed many GT games and the engine sound has not improved much. They could do better and should do better.

Have you ever been to any car race? Do you even know how real racing cars sound? Let me tell it’s nowhere near what we get in GT. This is a sim and should reflect RL as much as possible. I would understand if this was an arcade racer but it’s not.
Are you deaf, blind or a 🤡 ?
Click on the damn videos and shut up.
Being on a racing track and on board sound are completely different.

Yes. All sounds combined. Not just exhaust or engine. But a combination of exhaust, engine, transmission downshifts/upshift, missed gears, tire, vehicle impact, revs, wind in draft, sound change from damaged motors/transmissions as well as the surround. The entire package. So in my opinion and experience, the list I gave offer better overall packages. That isn't to say GT7 doesn't sound great. I enjoyed GT7 more than Forza Motorsport 7.

Even RacePro 07 sounds better than FM and GT in many areas. Maybe not the entire package though.

I never spent a lot of time with ProjectCars. I kinda was turned off by Ian Bell and his promises. So I don't know how well that sounds.

Most of my automotive sound experience IRL comes from owning a few of the cars in these games, working at car dealerships when I was younger, living next to Road America in the summers and going to the races there, from classics to modern. (I am back in Norway in the winters, where I don't hear much of anything in our village 😂). And of course racing games since pole position and watching racing year round.

Again, this is my opinion. I am not saying I am right by any measure.
hmm i get that. I thought it was about the engine sounds, which have improved. I do think there's room for improvement on the whole soundscape, stuff like mechanical sounds that you hear on ACC are much better than what PD is currently representing. I hope for better tire sounds, they need more variation

Kvally

Banned
hmm i get that. I thought it was about the engine sounds, which have improved. I do think there's room for improvement on the whole soundscape, stuff like mechanical sounds that you hear on ACC are much better than what PD is currently representing. I hope for better tire sounds, they need more variation
Ok cool looks like we are on the same page 👍😎

sncvsrtoip

You really think gt7 sound didnt improve much compring to gt6 or gt4 ? Thats hilarious. Little tired of people talking about game they didnt play or play very little with same bs slogans that maybe were accurate for series but 10 years ago.

Last edited:

consoul

It's been more than 300 days since they showed a Tesla Model 3 in a trailer and it still isn't available in game. That one is taking it's damn time.

Shut0wen

What year is it?

You guys seriously wrote off the series 10 years ago and are replying like you know whats going on?

What year is it?

You guys seriously wrote off the series 10 years ago and are replying like you know whats going on?
Im aware every car in gt7 are all premium thus having one of the worst grinds and microtransactions ever, makes sense why sport had the least amount of cars

Drizzlehell

Banned
That's interesting because it would also take about 300 years to win anything that's not a tiny pile of pocket change in that god-awful roulette minigame.

Neilg

. I wonder how streamlined into the driving games it could become.

Not at all. They're already using it as best they can. The cad models supplied for visualisation often take a month or more for multiple people to clean up and texture, and they still end up over 100m polys.

Nobody can model a car to this level of detail in 2 weeks either, that's beyond nonsense. Maybe to a shit low poly standard, but no chance if you're working to this level of detail.

He says they can do 60 cars a year, even though it takes 300 days to make one. It's obviously 300 days total across all team members and not just consecutive.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Is this their way of saying we're never getting the Mitsubishi Eclipse back?

rUPcFI8.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Im aware every car in gt7 are all premium thus having one of the worst grinds and microtransactions ever, makes sense why sport had the least amount of cars
No it doesn't. I know the internet likes to meme and talk out of their ass. But it's the easiest it has ever been making in game credits, where the 3 and only 3 purchase options are irrelevant. In fact, I forget they're even there until someone brings it up.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Not really. For comparisons GT5 was harder to get cars. Gt7 has a handful of cars priced above 10mil and they are pretty much useless for the progression. And even that you now can rent any car for any event without needing to buy

Buggy Loop

I worked with a guy before that had a twitch that sent his arm around. Guy was showing me how to model in 2D and had to make good perpendicular lines, every fucking time, for like 1h, he couldn’t do the goddamn straight line, I kid you not.

Maybe Polyphony digital has a couple of those guys? Because yea..

lachesis

Looks like there's a lot of padding going on. It's not something they should tout about of how inefficient their method is.
Compromise and make it faster/cheaper should be their top priority.

Shut0wen

No it doesn't. I know the internet likes to meme and talk out of their ass. But it's the easiest it has ever been making in game credits, where the 3 and only 3 purchase options are irrelevant. In fact, I forget they're even there until someone brings it up.
Honestly i havnt played it since 2 month after launch but even before it seemed pretty difficult to get decent cars

John Wick

Kazunori Yamauchi, CEO of Polyphony Digital and Producer of Gran Turismo 7, has stated in an interview that it takes nearly 300 days to create one of the game's cars when starting from scratch. Gran Turismo is a series known in part for the attention to detail it pays to each of the cars in its roster, so it would make sense that the timeline to create one in Gran Turismo 7 would be extensive, even if not many would expect it to be almost a year.

Speaking to Impress, Kazunori Yamauchi has stated that it takes roughly 270 days to create one of Gran Turismo 7's cars from scratch, and the current output should be around 60 cars per year. He also stated that while he acknowledges getting requests for the return of vehicles like the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 4, because of the lengthy process it takes to create a car and limited resources at Polyphony, he asks for fans to understand if they have not. Something else he admitted to is the gap between what fans want versus what he imagines, meaning that even if he is aware of fan expectations, there is no guarantee that fan favorites will arrive in future content updates for Gran Turismo 7.

Although Gran Turismo recently broke a sales milestone, having sold about 90 million copies since the series debuted, Yamauchi could potentially be referring to what the staff of Polyphony Digital can reasonably do since the studio has roughly 200 employees working there. If the goal is to create 60 cars a year while one takes 270 days, assumptions can be made that the developers have to balance creating cars that fit Polyphony Digital's vision with the ones fans have requested.
You'd think they'd have streamlined this by now but PD gonna PD.

sn0man

Are they re-creating their car models for every new GT game or what? Surely they can just re-use the high-res models they‘ve been making since the PS3 days? I even remember interviews from the PS3 era where Yamauchi said that they‘re making new car models so detailed that they’re future proof. Then again, I would’ve thought asset creation like this has long been outsourced. At this point PD should have a huge archive of highly detailed models for 1000+ cars or so, that they can just import into whatever the newest GT game is. I really don’t understand what‘s so hard about this; PD‘s excuse reminds me of Gamefreak‘s excuse for why they can’t have all Pokemon in their games anymore lol.
Had GT6 been a PS4 launch window game I think that attention to detail in car models might have paid dividends. Sadly I think their ambition often mismatches their productivity or timeline accountability.

I've worked in car industry and I'm currently in product design, Nurbs or surface are part of solid modelling and most CAD softwares nowaday...

That's my job since the last...almost 20 years.

But I might be wrong, it's internet.

Integrating a car into a game engine, after 400 of them already done, takes 300 days.

Sure.

Take that, Forza.

Thanks for posting, only saw this days later mate. Nice to hear from someone working in the industry and always happy to hear the actual facts.

I guess the real trouble is optimisation for dev/des pipeline and game engine/run time.

Also, how is your 300 day car coming along? Ready in two weeks? /joke.

Indeed, Forza appear to have a far more streamlined process. I'm not enough of a car or modeller nut to know which is more technical but they both GT and Forza appear to run bloody well and look amazing.

The Alien

Banned
So they started producing these cars for GT7 intye Atari era?.. before GT1 was released?

Got it. Time warp capabilities confirmed.

bender

What time is it?
I'm saying. GT is judged unfairly tbh. Forza looks better on the environment but it is still behind on lightning and cars - you gotta give PD its flowers

I'm not much of a simulation fan when it comes to racers, but PD's games always feel like a celebration of driving and come from a place of admiration and joy whereas a lot of other simulation racers feel sterile. And that's not a knock on other franchises as being sterile is often appropriate. /hippie

Esppiral

Unrelated but is having separate sponsorships on your gear compared to the car you are driving a thing? Feels like either BMW or Honda would complain.
Was the Forza shot made with an orthographic camera? Use the same lenses....

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
If they had good relations with car makers they could get cad files of the original cars and convert them into maya or whatever tool within days.
Every ad you see with a BMW or Mercedes etc. driving around a desert is a digitial double rendered in UE4/5 from the baseline CAD data.

Oldtimers are a different story. But any recent car could be done in a week or two.

Top Bottom