• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It Wasn't Actually That Bad- Games You Will Always Defend

I've been talking about Nintendo games the entire thread, so I'll shift focus to Motocross Mania, a PS1 game.

motocross-mania-playstation-ps1-005.jpg

Yeah, there are much better motorcycle racing games, but I still had fun with this as a kid. And yeah, it's a glitchy game, but the glitches add to the charm.

KevinKeene

Banned
Great to see so many Metroid: Other M-fans in here :) I enjoyed the game immensely, too. I also thought Samus' portayal was sublime, as it showed her as a human being instead of the emotionless, 'badass' robocop ripoff that certain fans demanded her to be.

Whatever Prime 4's going to be, I hope Ridley is playable.

Airola

ps1_final_fantasy_8_bl-120314.jpg

A lot of people hated this game but I really like it and this is one of the games that got me into the jrpgs.

It has a bit too barren overworld and moving around to the next place feels a bit too streamlined (not as streamlined as in FFIX though - I think FFVII had a better illusion of being more "free").
But yeah, it's still a very good game!

And that Triple Triad card game was amazing! Somehow they were able to make the card game much worse in FFIX.

Fbh

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale.

So...yeah, the character selection was lacking, the content was lacking and the production values were pretty bad (some of the most horrible menus ever).

But I still found it pretty fun. There were some good combos you could do, most of the characters were fun to play as I and I liked the stages (could have done more with the graphics but in terms of concept and design I liked them) .

At first I was sceptical of the fact you could only kill with supers but it ended up growing on me and I think it did at least help it stand apart from Smash. It might have looked like a ripoff but it really didn't play like one IMO.
I also think the system as more fun for inexperienced players since you would usually still get some kills

Oh and at least the online worked most of the time unlike smash wiiU which no matter what I did or who I tried to play with was never more than an unplayable lagfest

Last edited:

Andyliini

Great to see so many Metroid: Other M-fans in here :) I enjoyed the game immensely, too. I also thought Samus' portayal was sublime, as it showed her as a human being instead of the emotionless, 'badass' robocop ripoff that certain fans demanded her to be.

Agreed, I also enjoyed my time when I played Other M, altough I have only played it once in 2010 when it released. In OldGAF, this thread would have already gone insane at just mention of Other M. :D

As for game I tend to defend...
I'm not sure if this counts, but I freakin' loved Xenoblade Chronicles X. I put over 140 hours into it, and enjoyed every second of it. I loved the soundtrack, too, which seems to be the main point of criticism for many. The story was on the tame side (considering Takahashi) and it left many plots unsolved. I can only hope for a sequel to show what happens after the shocking cliffhanger at the end.

KevinKeene

Banned
Agreed, I also enjoyed my time when I played Other M, altough I have only played it once in 2010 when it released. In OldGAF, this thread would have already gone insane at just mention of Other M. :D

As for game I tend to defend...
I'm not sure if this counts, but I freakin' loved Xenoblade Chronicles X. I put over 140 hours into it, and enjoyed every second of it. I loved the soundtrack, too, which seems to be the main point of criticism for many. The story was on the tame side (considering Takahashi) and it left many plots unsolved. I can only hope for a sequel to show what happens after the shocking cliffhanger at the end.

Are you me? 👽

150 hours spent with Xenoblade Chronicles X. I also loved the sounstrack, Sawano was such a perfect match for the game's story and setup.

Switch remaster please!

I know I am going to get so much flak for this but... I actually enjoyed Alien colonial marines. Played it through in co-op with my mate on the hardest difficulty and it was pretty fun.

MayauMiao

Fallout 4, I don't care if its more of the same as Fallout 3.

Loved the game, the idea that you can build your own settlement made is a joy to play.

- Tenchu Z

I really would like more tenchu games.
This was the only one with online modes.

- Soul Sacrifice.

This game should get more love.
A PS4 version would be awesome, especially now with Monter Hunter World's sucess.
How about Soul Sacrifice World?

TitanNut88

Final Fantasy XII for me. I don't know why some many people hate it. It was one of the most complete games from both PS2 and PS3 (and also PS4 with the remaster) generations. Lots of fun!

royox

Final Fantasy XIII.

The RIGHT evolution of the ATB system.
Good and bad characters as every other JRPG
Amazing OST
Hours and hours of post-game content

Despite the game being "FFX but better" (Hallways, you control Summons till you use the Ultimate attack, weird plot, 90% of the sidequesting being after finishing the game, etc) people hated it because the game did a bad job at making the plot understandable and of course for all the "Sonyfans" this game had to be the shittiest game on existance because it was not exclusive anymore and the "good FF was going to be vs13 that's going to be released soon".

woopWOOP

Spelunker (NES)
laxSPS8.png

I have never even beaten the first level but I hold no ill will against this game.
Even though I very often die because of the "horrible" (so they say!) jumping system I always thoroughly enjoy the five or so minutes I usually spend time with the game.
It's fun to try to focus on controlling the character in ways that don't get him accidentally killed and it's always a big win to be able to get one more item or treasure from the cave.
The dopey death jingle along with your character dying from such a short fall always makes me smile.
The limitations of your character takes some getting used too, but getting through the deadly caves is pretty fun when you've got the hang of it. Just looking at this picture makes me feel like playing it right now actually.
The ingame theme gets on your nerves quick, but I do like the title theme.
KKND and Z, ya they were not as popular as C&C and Warcraft but I still loved them.
KKND will always have a special place in my heart because we wouldn't have internet or any means for PC multiplayer for a long time, but the Playstation port of KKND had splitscreen multiplayer. It's the first RTS game I could play against another person.

I had the Z demo and I absolutely loved that one too, tho I immediately got my ass kicked by the AI on the first stage. Really wished there was a "skirmish" mode of some sort. Tried to get it to run on modern systems to play an online multiplayer match with a friend after all this time, but sadly we never got it to work.

Oh and I guess I'll be the one to mention Zelda II. I'm bad at puzzles and I hate "wasting time" to figure things out. This Zelda felt more combat oriented and the EXP system meant wandering around didn't feel entirely pointless. Up until BotW it was the only Zelda I liked enough to play through to the end... which actually might be proof of how "weird" and different it is, but to me that game will always be alright.

Also games like Clu Clu Land, Devil World, Ice Climber and even Urban Champion. They're simple, but they're all two player. I had a lot of fun with them back then and they're still entertaining now (tho UC is incredibly simple, lol). I see a lot of people complaining about the way you jump in Ice Climber, but you have to keep the verticality and small horizontal movement to allow you to jump through the small brick gaps you make. Sure, it makes the bonus rounds harder, but you can actually jump a little extra distance if you take a walking start before juming. These games are fine.

Pejo

Nights of Azure. It was basically marketed as hack n' slash yuri bait, which it was - but it was also a good game. You could collect and evolve pets, and the combat was surprisingly fun, if a little flat. Towards the end of the game, the difficulty actually ramps up considerably, too, and the bosses were each pretty damn fun to fight. Still haven't tried Nights of Azure 2, but I definitely will when I get out of Monster Hunter.

DartKOOPA666

Neophyte
I love Battleborn so much and I still play it every couple of months. I wish I lived in the universe where this game was a sucsess.

anglis84

Neo Member
Final Fantasy VIII for me. Just about everyone trashes this game. I get it has plenty of problems but I loved the soundtrack and world building in the game. I thought it had a pretty neat story. I dont' think it's fair to compare this game to VII or IX (IX is the greatest game ever made!). The game is unique in it's own way.

Valkyria Chronicles 2
It got a lot of hate because series jumped to PSP in an era where playing handheld wasn't cool and it replaced amazing cast into more anime generics but under that it was really nice and competent srpg that I spent over 70 hours to finish every mission game had.

Velius

Banned
Final Fantasy VIII for me. Just about everyone trashes this game. I get it has plenty of problems but I loved the soundtrack and world building in the game. I thought it had a pretty neat story. I don’t think it's fair to compare this game to VII or IX (IX is the greatest game ever made!). The game is unique in it's own way.

I've lots of thoughts on games I have yet to share with my fellow Gaffers but I would like to say this about Final Fantasy VIII, despite having one of my least favorite stories, cast and even music:

The junction and combat systems of Final Fantasy VIII are perhaps the best I've played in any RPG, ever. The card, item and magic mechanics are like crack to me.

I liked Squall and Rinoa. Hated just about everyone else because of poor writing and story. Loved the setting and world. Music is so unbelievably forgettable, except for one track. The GF plot device was vomit.
But goddamn that gameplay was outstanding. Limit breaks, inventory, weapon upgrades, everything.

Last edited:
I feel like sometimes I need to defend Bioshock Infinite. I know some people didn't like the combat but I loved it. And the story blew my mind. Loved every minute of it. Incredibly atmosphere too.

bufkus

Final Fantasy XII for me. I don't know why some many people hate it. It was one of the most complete games from both PS2 and PS3 (and also PS4 with the remaster) generations. Lots of fun!

Honestly I consider Final Fantasy XII to be the best in the series. It's highly underrated and oozes Matsuno brilliance throughout. The only disappointment is the ending, but that's a very minor flaw in an otherwise flawless game.

Codes 208

Two games that come to mind are Dragon ball raging blast 2 and Godzilla the series: monster wars for the gbc.

Raging blast 2 felt like a natural climax of the tenkaichis and while tye gameplay was shallow, the graphics were good, the character selection was decent and i had a ton of fun playing with friends.

GtS:MW however was a decent auto-scrolling schmup featuring my childhood favorite cartoon monster (Godzilla 98 sucked but the sequel cartoon was awesome. Fight me)

Silvawuff

Ridley needs to be featured here: What if Pokemon grew rather than evolved?
Would probably fix that, would be better if Nintendo gave a hard sci-fi explanation on Ridley and it's species, if there's one? Can we get a "scan book" for Prime 4 release?

OMG I'm also a long time player (started in 2001). It's one of the most wasted potentials ever! They should have released an app a long time ago to keep the appeal!

I mean, it's like Pokemon but with more freedom on what they can do with the characters, as most plots have the pets anthropomorphised but the "normal" pets can still be customized with paint brushes and the loads of clothes, feeding them different stuff (the Gourmet club), read them books, etc. it's Pokemon Amie taken to the extreme; the Battledome, then there's the whole fan culture of restocking, hoarding, galleries, collections, etc.

FFS, Ylana is basically a twi'lek from Star Wars!

Neopets holds a special place in my heart, thanks to it I learned many many words in english , the difference between color and colour (same with fairy used in Zelda and faerie used in Neopets), learned how to RP, edit images, webpages, etc. And still can't get a Plushie Paint Brush for my Shoyru :(

Yessss! Glad to see another fan out there! How much are you short on that paintbrush?

Castlevania Lord of Shadows

The game looked great and had a bad ass sound track. Still don't think it deserves the hate it gets.

COD: Infinite Warfare (Campaign)

Had a solid story and great shoot mechanics.

pramod

Banned
Some of the early 360 games.

I will defend Perfect Dark Zero to my last breath, it's my favorite FPS of all time. I'm probably the only person to say so, LOL.
perfect-dark-zero-20051123005823861-000.jpg

The Outfit is still one of my favorite multiplayer games.
Lost Planet
Even Silpheed was a lot of fun.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Watch Dogs

It is a great game and Aiden Pierce is a good main character. The game was just like I hoped it to be. Gameplay is fun and I really like the shooting/cover system. There was some graphical downgrade but it still looks good.

Last edited:

Velius

Banned

I will defend Perfect Dark Zero to my last breath, it's my favorite FPS of all time. I'm probably the only person to say so, LOL.

Lost Planet
kameo.jpg

Aliens: Colonial Marines had fantastic sound design.

Destiny 2 PC's engine optimization and gameplay are 10/10

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Postal 2. It's a mess of a game but I love it. There's not many games that let you pee on people and light them on fire.

LOL I read that as Portal 2 and was wracking my brains for that particular puzzle sequence.

Dragon Age II, at least on the PC, wasn't that bad. I expected much worse when I played it before Inquisition.

I think it got a bad rap. Certainly wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination (WTF Orsino...really WTF), but I enjoyed it for the most part and it did some neat things like NPC dialogues changing towards you dependent on your general demeanour, plus some cool companions.

Duke Nukem Forever.
It was klunky, janky and just very aged. But I loved it.
It WAS the good old duke nukem of old, with all its late 90s klunkyness, but with modern graphics.

Best remake/reboot/sequel ever. Everyone that hated it, and there were lots, hated it because it WAS duke nukem
and they wanted something else.

You are so right. This game was a big bowl of late 90s FPS gameplay and its only real sins IMO were its loading times and the two-weapon limit. The game itself was a fantastic first person Duke Nukem game. And that's exactly what the public rejected--a first person Duke Nukem game. The hatred stemmed from most people having moved on from this type of FPS. And those people did not understand what they were plunking down their money for when they purchased it.

Duke Nukem Forever is a game I am truly proud to have every trophy in, including the DLC. I enjoyed all my time with it and would welcome another game in the franchise.

AlphaMale

The order 1886. Not perfect, but amazing visuals, setting, characters and especially voice actors. Needs a second chance.
Knack. Also not perfect, but nothing really stood out as bad. Just a fun, simple action-platformer.
I also echo the ryse and other m opinions.

Totally agree. I thought it was great!

AlphaMale

Lost Planet...all of them! Great game, awesome visuals, smooth engine, 3-player co-op! I never understood all the hate.

Blackie

This is a tough one for me. Maybe Twin Snakes? I always liked it and enjoyed the over-the-top cutscenes but many internet denizens seemed unimpressed ;)

The Wii version of Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands got shadowed by the mediocre movie and that awful PS360 version, but man... what a great game.

FireEmoji

Banned
I'm one of the few, the proud, who actually enjoy the combat in Bethesda RPG's. Granted I don't do melee combat in Skyrim, but I absolutely love playing as an archer / mage. And Fallout's shooting is fine to me, especially with VATS adding an extra layer of strategy.

Joe T.

Final Fantasy XI - Its harsh, unforgiving world and mechanics could easily be interpreted as the work of a sadistic developer, but it also made every achievement, however minor, a very satisfying experience. Partnering up with a stranger to get some revenge on a low level goblin that just took us both to within an inch of our lives to knocking out an end game boss that made the news for its absurd difficulty, I'm not sure there are too many games quite like it and I wish more people would have been able to get past the subscription fee or PC setup headaches to give it a chance. The game today is very solo-friendly and lost a lot of its appeal from the early days as far as I'm concerned, but it's still worth checking out.

Vawn

Banned
I'll go with Final Fantasy XIII. While far from the best FF, it's not at the bottom either.

What I disagree with most are those who consider X to be a great game and XIII to be horrible. These games are very similar in both their strengths and weaknesses, and I'd go as far to say just about X does good, XIII does better. And just about everything XIII does poorly, X does much worse.

Yeah, I think he was a good protagonist, but most people were still in love with Ezio and expected an exact clone. The tailing missions were quite irritating for AC3, and the series in general, but for the frontier I genuinely enjoyed it. It felt empty but was fun to just walk around in anyway.

That's fair. It was fresh, and it worked well to climb trees and mountains instead of buildings. I just recall there the frontier not being as tied to the story as its size indicated. I could be wrong, though. Overall, I liked the game, and it layed the foundation for Black Flag. I actually thought the combat was better in AC3 than Black Flag.

EBE

The game is legit fun
I managed to get a 10 many lobby up a few months ago. Good times

Lost Planet

I just played a couple of missions of Perfect Dark Zero on my X then. It certainly doesn't deserve the hate that it got (especially at the time of launch). I played a couple of rounds of local multiplayer with bots too and it was solid (but janky) fun. I really like the armour and dive roll mechanic. The design of Joanna in PDZ works for me too. For a launch title it was solid IMO. I'd really like to see it get an X update... I want to see those overy shiny, bump-mapped brick textures in 4k :D.

The Outfit was a hidden gem that everyone seems to have forgotten. I was surprised to see it mentioned on GAF. The local multiplayer for that was absolutely fantastic. I hope that it gets added to the backwards compatibility list at some stage as I'd love to play it again.

Last edited:

TriAceJP

Drakengard 3. I know the game absolute horrible performance but god damn I love story and the characters. With that being said, I do wish we would get some kind of remaster on PS4 so I can finally enjoy the gameplay section as well.

Look into RPCS3 ;)

Top Bottom