• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It Wasn't Actually That Bad- Games You Will Always Defend

Dark Star

The Evil Within

Sure the story is a discombobulated mess of a nightmare, and maybe the gameplay is a little too clunky, and the frame rate is a blurry as shiz...but it’s still fun as hell to play despite its many flaws.

Dead Space 3. The game that killed Visceral Games. I’m currently playing the game (just finished Chapter 3) and I find it scarier than 2. I think it could be the best game in the series. If DS2 is to DS1 as Aliens is to Alien, then DS3 feels like Star Wars A New Hope. They really seemed to have fleshed the DS universe out, building a world around the premise. I’m digging the art direction which seems to take a page out of Bioshock’s book and has more of a steampunk/The Matrix look to it. It’s a sad shame we won’t get a fourth...ever.

Last edited:
The Order 1886: While many of the complaints are valid, I still really enjoyed the gameplay and the story. I really think it denser a sequel as a second chance

I’d also like to nominate the order. I loved the story, gameplay, setting and the length. I don’t have a lot of time to play games (I can only play a couple hours on the weekend) so the length was an added plus for me. I got the game for like $9, though. But still, I love this game.

Crash40

Neo Member
IMO, a lot of motion controlled games are great. They get a lot of needless hate, but there are some FANTASTIC games that use motion controls. Off he top of my head, Red Steel 2, Metroid Prime 3, Pandora's Tower and the Wii version of RE4.

shinkai

Resident Evil 6. Leons campaign is fine they should have just went with that and further improved it then add in 2 other campaigns that were mediocre. Gameplay is solid and probably the best in the 4-6 series, my only hope is that Capcom reuses the combat in the game for another game or series as it is really good and that was the highlight of the game.

Also I will defend the shit out of Lost Planet 2 until my dying days, that game is a co-op masterpiece in my eyes and Capcom just needs to make another Lost Planet game that is like Monster Hunter: World but with a sci-fi theme. I won't complain if they do that.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest on the SNES

It gets so much grief and labeleed anywhere between mediocre and the worst sin against 16-bit JRPGs. But as a kid I really enjoyed it and I still enjoy it now. Never could understand why there was such animosity towards it unless of course there was a great deal of hype and anticipation for it in certain territories which it couldn't live up to.

Zannegan

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts N Bolts. I went into the demo expecting to hate it because it wasn't a "real Banjo game," ended up loving the hell out of the crazy building mechanics and bought the full game ASAP. It was definitely a swerve from the traditional Banjo formula (one that would have gone over better had they advertised their intentions earlier instead of the bait-and-switch tease, IMO) but, taken for what it was, it was a great Rare game through-and-through with a surprising amount of depth for those who were looking for it.

It's a pity that it didn't sell well. Had it done better, we very well might have gotten a more traditional BK adventure next time. That's on the makers and the marketers though.

MGSV. Both gameplay and story were great. Story was in a different format, but it was still fantastic.

I mean. The game won multiple GoTY awards has a really high meta critic score and got a ton of 10/10, 5/5 reviews. I’m not sure it needs any defending...

I mean. The game won multiple GoTY awards has a really high meta critic score and got a ton of 10/10, 5/5 reviews. I’m not sure it needs any defending...

This is one of those games with critical acclaim, but polarizing fan opinions. Like how I mentioned Mario Sunshine earlier. That game was critically beloved, but it's despised by quite a few fans.

WWE 2k games - Besides the glitches I think the actual wrestling is a lot of fun.
Mass Effect 3 - I thought this game was fantastic. I agree the ending was lacking but the anger evoked by it was kind of hilarious to watch unfold.

Drakengard 1, Drakengard 3 and Nier. Never hear anyone talk about these games without anyone bringing up Nier: Automata, and in order to hear people talk about these games I have to forcefully make people play them or find people who do. Safe to say that it's fairly difficult.

Ivellios

Sonic Adventure 2, people say the game sucks and aged badly, but i can still turn it on to this day and have plenty of fun with it (aside from the Knuckles/Rouge missions). I really liked the game story as well.

The Chaos Garden is just a excellent bonus for a already great game.

brap

Banned
Fighting Force on PS1 is NOT bad. Also, I will defend most Dynasty Warriors games.
Ehrgeiz wasn't bad either.

DonF

Resident Evil 6, it was fun and wasn't the total shitfest everybody said.
I played it in it's entirety with a buddy, its a great co op game. As a single player game and a resident evil, its a disappointment.
Best mercenaries in the series.

Last edited:

V2Tommy

I didn't get very far in those (I played the third one a bit) but fairy fencer f on ps4 was really fun to play. Story was just OK, but the battle system was like a modern day arc the lad game. Have the neptinia games finally caught up to this level of gameplay, cause from what I played of neptunia 3 it seemed like a more primitive fairy fencer f

Anything past the first one plays just like Fairy Fencer F. Rather, FFF plays like Neptunia. I dig it, because I like true turn-based gameplay.

toker818

Banned
Friday the 13th game is really fun and I really hope they're working on a part 2. The game has awesome ideas it just needs more different modes and dedicated servers too.

The Evil Within 1, especially the story aspects of it. The story of TEW1 made perfect sense if you were willing to put the work in, just like old Silent Hill fandom did way back when the games were first released. We take Silent Hill's stories as givens now, but that's only because a very dedicated community did a lot of heavy lifting back in the early 2000s. And honestly, TEW1 has some of the most intricate and interesting worldbuilding I've seen in horror games in a long, long time. The way that it's tied into the characters' personal stories is brilliant.

Silent Hill: Homecoming. I don't think a lot of people fully appreciate just how cathartic this game is for people like me who grew up in extremely abusive households but never got over that feeling of still wanting to be loved and accepted by your parents, no matter how shitty and awful they were to you. Alex Shepherd is precious to me on a very personal level. The game also has some of the most stand-out musical tracks in the series, and some (not all) of the level design is breathtaking.

Final Fantasy XIII. Other people have already gone into detail about this game, but I honestly find that it's my second favorite Final Fantasy in terms of combat (behind 10). The story is no less convoluted and stupid than any other mainline entry to Final Fantasy, honestly. It's presented differently, but I like its presentation. It's very reminiscent of [good] fantasy novels, where they just throw you into the world and the story, and you come to understand terms, concepts, and worldbuilding through context over time.

Dark Souls 2. Best PvP in the series. 1v1 me if you disagree.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Gears Of War Judgement and Halo 5 are both great games. Halo 5 in particular is everything I've ever wanted in a Halo game, bring on 6!!!
Judgement was a cool 'side project' and I'd welcome another, some of the multiplayer game modes are so much fun and I still play them now and again even to this day.
It's no Gears 4 though, I still play that EVERY single day.

I just got into Gears 4 ala GamePass. Best Gears. Are you into Horde? I'd like to make an insane run to level 50 sometime with a reliable group of guys.

CRAIG667

I just got into Gears 4 ala GamePass. Best Gears. Are you into Horde? I'd like to make an insane run to level 50 sometime with a reliable group of guys.

Horde is my bag, just got the inconceivable cheevo :) I play as engineer.
You need to level your class up before attempting insane though. (I have all my classes at level 10 now but as I say say, engineer is my fave followed by scout then Heavy)
What class are you playing as, happy to give tips on levelling up and strategies to help your team.

glasiche

Neo Member
Lineage 2.

Game was tough as iron. Like totally unforgiving Korean wild west era pre-WOW MMORPG. If people thought FF11 kicked when you were down, Lineage 2 called it's older cousins over.

So much fun scamming Chinese farmers and picking fights with people to test out the new gear you bought with the farmer money. Getting hunted down when you turned red, harrowing clan wars. The game was just as much fun as it wasn't fun and at the time it looked fantastic. Big S/o to all the dark elves out there

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This is slightly off topic but I also want to show some love for Need for Speed... The movie.

That movie is dumb but satisfying as hell!

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Infinite Undiscovery - a fun, charming RPG with a solid crafting system, solid combat, cool world, towns, great soundtrack, etc.

I agree with a lot of the others here too. I actually found Metroid: Other M decent, had some fun with Mass Effect Andromeda, liked(but didn't love) the FFXIII's, among some others.

Last edited:

Convicsik

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, with all their faults they were still a blast to play.

Slightly off topic, I’m going to throw in two movies as well, Howard the Duck and the live action Cat in The Hat. Why do people shit on these movies ?

VAL0R

Banned
Horde is my bag, just got the inconceivable cheevo :) I play as engineer.
You need to level your class up before attempting insane though. (I have all my classes at level 10 now but as I say say, engineer is my fave followed by scout then Heavy)
What class are you playing as, happy to give tips on levelling up and strategies to help your team.

Cool! My classes are:
Engineer - 10 (with general build discount card level 6 maxed [12%] and repair card maxed)
Scout - 7 (with return to fabricator bonus card maxed at +60% and shotgun damage card maxed)
Soldier - 5 (with assault rifle damage card maxed and assault rifle ammo capacity maxed, Hammer of Dawn card level 2)
Heavy -1
Sniper -1

I have finished a hardcore level 50 run with 4 randos. I have to go out and get a headset. Gamertag: Va1or

Last edited:

CRAIG667

Cool! My classes are:
Engineer - 10 (with general build discount card level 6 maxed [12%] and repair card maxed)
Scout - 7 (with return to fabricator bonus card maxed at +60% and shotgun damage card maxed)
Soldier - 5 (with assault rifle damage card maxed and assault rifle ammo capacity maxed, Hammer of Dawn card level 2)
Heavy -1
Sniper -1

I have finished a hardcore level 50 run with 4 randos. I have to go out and get a headset. Gamertag: Va1or

Awesome, add me on xbl (my gamertag is the same as my neogaf username)
Always happy to play with high ranking scouts, as to me a good scout/engineer combo is deadly!
I don't use a headset, I cant even stand being on the phone to friends and family + I've always got my kids running about when I get chance to game so it's just annoying for people to hear me constantly being nagged by them :)

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
X-Men 2: Wolverine's Revenge

vdDOc5y.jpg

Contrary to the name and the picture of Huge Ackaman on the cover it had sod all to do with the movie. Got a lot of hate at the time of release but I enjoyed the hell out of it. I like some of the mechanics such as healing faster with claws retracted and the stealth and scent/tracking aspects.

Allandor

Mass Effect Andromeda
Yes it was not the best entry of the franchise, but it was still a good game, even with it's visual bugs. They should really make a story-dlc or a sequel.

Rise of Nations
I really don't get it why there are so many negative reviews about that game.

No man's sky
I must say, I bought it a few days after release, so I knew what was in the game. Never was specifically hyped about this game. I really enjoyed it. It was just refreshing. But well.. the price ...
But after 30-40 hours I could no longer play it, it was just to repetitive. But 30-40h is more than many other top-rated games deliver.

Top Bottom