• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki has formed a new studio and says he'd be "honoured" to re-partner with Xbox

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Don't see the problem. It may get Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony sniff around to fund a timed exclusive. Saying you will only work with one would result in no wooing and cash by one of the big 3.

I'd like to see more games from him. Devil's Third was indeed booty cheese but it wasn't that bad. MS shouldn't sleep and make game deal with him.

Night.Ninja

Banned
18230-Xboxar.com.gif

driqe

Full interview. Everything is about Xbox and MS.

Q: What if, Microsofts said they want to make your company one of Microsoft studios?
A: Haha, I would start again with questions that I made to Seamus two decades ago. Back then, I asked him, are you confident that you will beat PS2? He said yes. Xbox is called “Project Midway” and I’ll gain the supremacy with it. That’s why I trusted him and actually created Xbox-exclusive games for about 10 years. 20 years have passed since then, and I established my own company, Itagaki Games, which is not Tecmo, nor Valhalla. I know Microsoft is still aggressive. If they reach out to me, it will be an honor for me.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Itagaki forgot the golden rule of publicly being a boastful asshole: you need to constantly deliver. He'd be lucky to get support of any platform holder now, let alone preferential treatment. It's been almost a decade since he has been relevant.

Arxisz

I'm sorry but this guy proved he's just mediocre without the right team, all of the devs that worked on NG and DOA are either still at Tecmo or with other companies, this guy alone is way past his prime. People expecting NG quality games from him are going to be sorely disappinted (Again)

His work has been getting a second wind due to the BC team at Xbox. Ninja Gaiden Black, getting X enhanced. Ninja Gaiden 2, also getting X enhanced, I mean who played that version up until a couple years ago? Digital Foundry, did a vid on NG2 after the enhancement.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
His like the Xbox version of Hideo Kojima, except he was up-front about his Xbox fanboyism
Can't say I care for his input, he was a Cancer in Tecmo and they was/are better off without him.
Good news for Xbox fans though 😃

trikster40

I would implore everyone to remember Devil’s Third. Not sure why anyone would want to partner with this guy now.
Yeah, I read the article as “I can’t find shine to publish my games, Please Microsoft buy my studio for 7.5 billion dollars.”

Enjay

Banned
He basically said "Microsoft, if you want to buy me, I accept".
Yeah this is his Yu Suzuki/Shenmue 3 move (retirement con).

He literally just announced his new studio with this interview, Itagaki Games, and is already trying to sell it. Even the name of this supposed studio makes it sound like it was just slapped together. The whole thing reads like an episode of silicon valley.

"I JUST formed this new studio and would find it most honourable if you purchased it."

Last edited:
Microsoft better jump on anything Japanese. Tomonobu is going to have to do a lot better than Devil's Third though. He'll probably have to quit when he realizes we are in different times and women aren't allowed tatas. Lol "well can they atreast have long hair?... Yes but you have to shave one side of it.

quest

Not Banned from OT
He basically said "Microsoft, if you want to buy me, I accept".
If purchasing is on the table I don't think Phil and booty won't be able to write the check fast enough. This would be the opportunity they have been looking for if it is a studio purchase. I think there will be quite a few phone calls this week.

Skifi28

No one in the industry waves their big dick around like Itagaki. He's been missed.

He at least used to deliver back then. I'm not sure he can anymore. When you see somebody bending down and asking for that aquisition dick publicly, it seems more like a retirement plan than trying to make a good game.

“I would start again with questions that I made to [original Xbox designer] Seamus [Blackley] two decades ago,” he wrote. “Back then, I asked him, ‘are you confident that you will beat PS2?’ and he said, ‘Yes. Xbox is called Project Midway and I’ll gain the supremacy with it.’

“That’s why I trusted him and actually created Xbox-exclusive games for about ten years. 20 years have passed since then, and I established my own company, Itagaki Games, which is not Tecmo, nor Valhalla. I know Microsoft is still aggressive. If they reach out to me, it will be an honor for me.”
How would Spencer respond?

slade

Dude was a big fish in the little pond called Xbox. The minute he tried to step outside he got a taste of what actual competition was like. Its no wonder he wants back into his cozy little pond. Truly the Ninja Dog of developers!

Dude was a big fish in the little pond called Xbox. The minute he tried to step outside he got a taste of what actual competition was like. Its no wonder he wants back into his cozy little pond. Truly the Ninja Dog of developers!
To be fair, he and his fellow developers got really unlucky with Devil's Third; that game was bad news after bad news for Valhalla.

Top Bottom