• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki talks about DOA

Moofers

I really miss the old stages and music. I feel like the series has gotten so much worse with that stuff as of DOA5. They at least put the autumn forest back in, but it's a lot of bland and boring stages otherwise.

And where is the music these days? DOA5 had the worst music of all the games IMO. Garbage like the boxing gym, the title music, etc. Remember how awesome Elena's Opera House stage was? They need more of that. Tekken is killing it in that regard and always has. I'd like to see DOA get back in the fight again.

Asriel

DOA4 gameplay balance was shit, sure it looks pretty but it doesnt change the mediocre balance they had there. Give me DOA5 gameplay and character models with DOA3 stages (I find 4 new stages forgettable as 5 tbh)

Dead on. I'm shocked at the praise heaped on DOA4 here.

DOA4 was garbage gameplay wise.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
DOA 4 and 3 was OK, but DOA2 Hardcore destroys both.

I would put DOA2 Ultimate over Hardcore. But DOA3 is my favorite of the older games, I think.

Ninja Gaiden 2 was pretty inferior in every single way to Ninja Gaiden Black. Hope for the best with Devil's Third, but the E3 video was terrible.

TBH, I've never really been able to get into any of the NG games. I've tried -and still currently own the Sigma games and RE- but never get very far in them before I lose interest. That said, it always felt like NG2 was an unfinished game, since that's when Itagaki was leaving Tecmo.

Devil's Third visually looked pretty bad, yeah. But I'll give Itagaki and co. a chance on that one.

I really find it hard to believe that DOA5 lost more players than DOA4.

Wouldn't that be bullshit for the simple fact that DOA5 came out on four platforms (and soon that number will expand to six platforms) versus one for DOA4? Or did DOA4 sell a lot more copies than I think it did?

m0t0k1

So I'd DOA:D on the 3DS worth playing? I'm just a very casual player to the series

Depends what you are looking for. If you want to advance and become a better player it is better to start with DOA5 because that is the most up to date one and has a different parry system among other changes. But if you want to get into the world of DOA and just have fun its a great place to start.

It tells the story from DOA 1 to 4 so you will be knowing what is going on in the world although presentation wise the story is a bit rough think Bayonetta style presentation with a lot of stills. The game is a solid 60fps with 3d off and switches to 30fps on. The thing that is best about the game is the easy pick up and play fighting and amazingly fun stages. Its a combination off stages throughout the DOA series. It is just so great to grab someone throw him of the stairs and surf him down. There is a lot of content and things to unlock.

Also has some cool features like spotpass fights collecting trophies smash style and taking pictures of them. It is my favourite game on the 3ds and played it over 150 hours but i am in a minority sadly. A thing to take in account is that you will never unlock all the content since there was free dlc where they send dlc clothes and trophies matches against cpu via spotpass so you have to live with that.

Redrop

装甲悪鬼村正;140088919 said:
Yep. DOA4 was pure stagnation and NG2 came close to being unplayable garbage on higher difficulties due to the incredibly shitty encounter design.

Dude's legacy consists of one fucking game and he managed to tank said legacy rather efficiently.

Ninja Gaiden 2 was fantastic. Easily the most satisfying and most complex combat exhibited in the whole series.

If you're referring to Master Ninja, then yeah, it's hard as shit. But it's far from undoable, and it's incredibly satisfying when you do surpass the challenge.

Skilletor

absolutely agree and that is coming from someone who played them all and still plays them all (mostly 2 on ps2 and 5 on ps3). I visit the local arcade arena to play DoA1 every once in a while :)

DoA1 is a bit rough for me to go back to. I still play DoA2U and 3.1, though.

5U is definitely my favorite DoA. there are things I wish they would fix in the series, but I've just come to accept the series for what it is.

Can't wait for DoA6. I hope it gets an arcade release as well. :D

It's really awesome the things that DoA5 has done for the franchise.

If DOA had kept the purity of the parry system from the first game it could have been truly special.

this post: I agree with it.

Kai Ozu

DOA5 & Ninja Gaiden 3 are straight garbage.

I notice that most people that say "DOA5 is the best DOA has ever been" are people that didn't even like DOA in the first place.

DOA has turned into a completely generic fighting game, what exactly makes the new one good? The graphics? The stage design(LOL)? The gameplay(LMAO)? The ridiculously priced outfit packs? The broken net code? The list goes on and on. And I don't even want to get started on Ninja Gaiden. Them allowing that Yaiba game to even exists should be enough to tell anyone where these people are coming from and how truly clueless and disrespectful they are to a once great action game series.

ShinMaruku

Your comments can be put on any fighting game out there right now. Ninja Gaiden would be the only thing to stand on. But people forget he did make NG2 with it's projectile spam. So hey. NG:B was probably a fluke like DOA3 was. But I am the only person to say that. :p

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
DOA (gameplay wise) is the best its been in years.....but it has no soul

I feel like the only fighting series left with a 'soul' is Tekken

Kinda like Soul Calibur is technically good but lost something special after Soul Blade

It depends on why you play these games....if you play them for the story/characters like me or you just wanna mash some combos.

Skilletor

DOA5 & Ninja Gaiden 3 are straight garbage.

I notice that most people that say "DOA5 is the best DOA has ever been" are people that didn't even like DOA in the first place.

DOA has turned into a completely generic fighting game, what exactly makes the new one good? The graphics? The stage design(LOL)? The gameplay(LMAO)? The ridiculously priced outfit packs? The broken net code? The list goes on and on. And I don't even want to get started on Ninja Gaiden. Them allowing that Yaiba game to even exists should be enough to tell anyone where these people are coming from and how truly clueless and disrespectful they are to a once great action game series.

I've been playing DoA since 1.

JordanN

Banned
Mechanically, DOA5 is better than DOA4. And the faces look way better. But look at the bullshit that came with it:

-annualized incremental releases like Street Fighter
Yeah, this is the worst part.

The past DOA games were never cut into pieces. Each game felt complete.

But now Team Ninja is pulling a Capcom which means any new DOA will just feel like you're a beta tester till the next version.

Well he is overrated and is clinging to what little relevancy he has left.

It's going to be very interesting to see how Devi's Third turns out. Some made excuses for NG2's quality because of how rocky Itagaki's relationship with Tecmo was at the time. But that won't play a role this time around.

Skilletor

But now Team Ninja is pulling a Capcom which means any new DOA will just feel like you're a beta tester till the next version.

I just do not understand people that complain about continued support in a fighting game as a bad thing.

You say beta tester, I say I'm getting more of a game I continue to play for years on end.

It would be like complaining about getting expansions in MMOs to me.

Sayah

Weren't his top 5 most hated games Tekken 1 through 5? LOL.

On topic, I liked what I played of DoA5 minus the rugged environments.

benzy

Weren't his top 5 most hated games Tekken 1 through 5? LOL.

On topic, I liked what I played of DoA5 minus the rugged environments.

He was just trolling Tekken like always since Namco gave him shit when he first made DOA, lol. Pretty sure he's on good terms and respects Harada-san.

ShinMaruku

In defense in capcom and team ninja, the changes in their expansions do breath new life into the game character change, the meta changes more people return to the game. You find a game that has the connection to their players months after release that does not have updates like this. There is no beta tester. Things change.

benzy

I own like 8 different versions of DOA2 or something.

That wasn't Itagaki's fault though. Tecmo asked for a beta disk to "test play" it but what they really wanted and did was to release the Japanese ps2 version without Itagaki knowing, causing Itagaki to spiral down into depression and rewatch Armageddon while listening to Aerosmith songs.

Skilletor

That wasn't Itagaki's fault though. Tecmo asked for a beta disk to "test play" it but what they really wanted and did was to release the Japanese ps2 version without Itagaki knowing, causing Itagaki to spiral down into depression and rewatching Armageddon while listening to Aerosmith songs.

lol. There are like 3 or 4 versions on DC and PS2. :p

And I'm pretty sure that story had nothing to do with ps2, it was the original DC version.

Edit: Nope, I'm wrong, but still. There are 3 versions of DoA on ps2. Also makes the DC version hilarious, since there were like 2-3 outfits per character. haha

People like to pretend that DOA2U should be the standard in content, but forget that there were tons of different revisions to get up to most of those outfits.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I always found it funny how Rachel from Ninja Gaiden was hotter and way bustier than any girl in DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball.

benzy

lol. There are like 3 or 4 versions on DC and PS2. :p

And I'm pretty sure that story had nothing to do with ps2, it was the original DC version.

Edit: Nope, I'm wrong, but still. There are 3 versions of DoA on ps2. Also makes the DC version hilarious, since there were like 2-3 outfits per character. haha

People like to pretend that DOA2U should be the standard in content, but forget that there were tons of different revisions to get up to most of those outfits.

Ah, yeah, I never got any of the imports which featured upgrades. :p

Loona

That's a surprising statement. I would have assumed there was a Team Ninja "bible" that laid out the spirit and intent of the team. Certainly that something as core as the logo would be known to everyone there. Or at the least that Itagaki would have written such a document simply to make sure his legacy and the quality of Team Ninja was kept intact.

I figure Itagaki thought keeping that in his head made him less replaceable - if so, it clearly wasn't the ultimate deciding factor...

As for music, D0A5(U) still has some pretty nice tracks in the middle of some forgettable ones (and that terrible one with lyrics in the menu screens...):

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIBBMnkOLaw - I really like the feel or "urban kung fu" in this one.

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw7ZGOlTnGg - released with the Halloween stage, so a late, yet nice, addition.

No .. just No

Updating your game with new characters , new stages , new features , and new balance changes are what make games last in the long run ..street fighter is as good as it can possibly be , because no matter where you are , the leveling field is ajusted regarding the community. That's why annual changes are good. It's not even expensive , it give you more and more reason to keep playing since updates for the game are numerous and regular.

This is actually the way to do it. The changes between each version are numerous it's not like you're paying for dlc

And to put thing into perspective the dlc between those games are compatible , making that your purchases are not lost ..
This approach is much better than no update at all meaning that you're forever at the mercy of bugs , glitches and balances troubles.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
-outrageously priced costume and creepy voyeur DLC

Fans seem to want that though, since they
and I
bought the Swimsuits and skimpy outfits.

-a character that attempts to sexualize the body of a 10 year old girl

Japanese fans seem to want that, while the west is pretty "that's kinda creepy" toward Marie Rose. I guess it's a cultural divide in regards to getting the developers to kinda... not do that from Japan.

I believe Hayashi actually directed NG:DS

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1409600/

No. Itagaki made it. He directed it mostly because his daughter was playing the DS, as the main reasoning behind that.

Top Bottom